New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

BigPapaSmurf
SFN Die Hard

3192 Posts

Posted - 03/26/2007 :  10:23:42   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send BigPapaSmurf a Private Message  Reply with Quote
http://www.theonion.com/content/infograph/the_secret

Onion infographic on The Secret

"...things I have neither seen nor experienced nor heard tell of from anybody else; things, what is more, that do not in fact exist and could not ever exist at all. So my readers must not believe a word I say." -Lucian on his book True History

"...They accept such things on faith alone, without any evidence. So if a fraudulent and cunning person who knows how to take advantage of a situation comes among them, he can make himself rich in a short time." -Lucian critical of early Christians c.166 AD From his book, De Morte Peregrini
Go to Top of Page

ejdalise
Skeptic Friend

USA
50 Posts

Posted - 03/26/2007 :  11:59:33   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit ejdalise's Homepage Send ejdalise a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've had some bad experiences with a similar philosophy (if you can call it that) back in the early 90's. A couple of relatives got involved with something whose name I cannot recall at present, but was predicated on the power of positive thinking as the enabler to get everything you want in life. My relatives dropped their insurance (not needed if you think positively), spent above their means (something will come up to take care of the bills), and gave to this "church" (bought books, gave donations to spread the word), and so on.

We had a big falling out because I challenged that train of thought. Needless to say, it did not go well with them. I'll spare the details, but I did buy the "founder's" book to try and learn more and combat it. The guy's name was Ed or Edward something or other, but for the life of me I cannot recall it right now.

Right there, within the first 15 pages or so, was the disclaimer. If stuff does not work out for you, you must be harboring some negative thoughts, or some doubt about this approach.

To make a long story short, my relatives had a rude awakening when one of the people that were running their local chapter of this group got sick, and it turned out that they did carry insurance, paid for by the donations. Rude awakening, but too late as by that time they were deep in a financial hole. Thing is, to this day they still retain some aspects of this tenet.

If anyone remembers anything along those lines from back then, I'd appreciate a reminder. I'll look and see if I can find some of my old information.

Anyway, the similarities are many, and I'm wondering if it is based on the writings of the same guy.

Advice: if you are involved with anyone falling for this, tell them what you think, and walk away. As adults they will do what they want, but I guarantee that watching it happen is going to be painful.

--- Disperser ---
Winning enemies and aggravating friends since 1953
Go to Top of Page

tomk80
SFN Regular

Netherlands
1278 Posts

Posted - 03/26/2007 :  14:59:27   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit tomk80's Homepage Send tomk80 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I am now 10 minutes into "The secret" on youtube, and I am convinced this "law of attraction" of them really works! I mean, these guys were thinking about money. That made them make a very corny movie based around an extremely corny idea and lo and behold, all the money of the gullible is attracted to them.

Tom

`Contrariwise,' continued Tweedledee, `if it was so, it might be; and if it were so, it would be; but as it isn't, it ain't. That's logic.'
-Through the Looking Glass by Lewis Caroll-
Go to Top of Page

marfknox
SFN Die Hard

USA
3739 Posts

Posted - 03/26/2007 :  18:24:48   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit marfknox's Homepage  Send marfknox an AOL message Send marfknox a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Just read the wikipedia article on this "Law of Attraction". I can't believe people gave a name to this poppycock, and include the word "law".

The article: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Law_of_Attraction_%28New_Age%29

The best part of the article:
quote:
Criticism: Many of the claims made about the scientific justification of the Law of Attraction are not supported by any mainstream scientific research, and there have been no widely recognized studies demonstrating that the principle actually works (there are a number of recognized studies in which positive thinking have had no measurable effects on objective conditions). Skeptics have claimed that the explanations of the claimed law (and even the use of the term "Law" itself) misuse and misrepresent mainstream understandings of electromagnetism in a way often characteristic of pseudoscience. In dismissing the claimed effectiveness and anecdotal testimony about the success of the Law of Attraction, skeptics argue that it is nothing more than a means of self-motivation and a confirmation bias applied to acts of increased risk-taking, and has no further metaphysical effects.[1]

"Too much certainty and clarity could lead to cruel intolerance" -Karen Armstrong

Check out my art store: http://www.marfknox.etsy.com

Go to Top of Page

marfknox
SFN Die Hard

USA
3739 Posts

Posted - 03/26/2007 :  18:32:58   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit marfknox's Homepage  Send marfknox an AOL message Send marfknox a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Michael Losier on the "Law of Attraction": http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GoGCaLul8ms

This shit pisses me off so much. It's basically a formula for justifying selfishness, laziness, and ignorance.

"Too much certainty and clarity could lead to cruel intolerance" -Karen Armstrong

Check out my art store: http://www.marfknox.etsy.com

Go to Top of Page

beskeptigal
SFN Die Hard

USA
3834 Posts

Posted - 03/26/2007 :  20:37:09   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send beskeptigal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well ejd, it's obvious your negative thoughts ruined everything.
Go to Top of Page

tomk80
SFN Regular

Netherlands
1278 Posts

Posted - 03/27/2007 :  04:48:03   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit tomk80's Homepage Send tomk80 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by marfknox

Michael Losier on the "Law of Attraction": http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GoGCaLul8ms

This shit pisses me off so much. It's basically a formula for justifying selfishness, laziness, and ignorance.

My brain started hurting after the first minute, so I stopped watching. Then I watched these to repair the damage done by watching it. That helped.

Tom

`Contrariwise,' continued Tweedledee, `if it was so, it might be; and if it were so, it would be; but as it isn't, it ain't. That's logic.'
-Through the Looking Glass by Lewis Caroll-
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.12 seconds.