Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 4

Neurosis
SFN Regular

USA
675 Posts

Posted - 02/26/2007 :  13:18:32   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Neurosis an AOL message Send Neurosis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by HalfMooner

Unless the inscription on the "Jesus" tomb concludes with, "Yes, THAT Jesus," this stuff proves nothing. Still you gotta admit, Discovery's got itself a hot property, and people will be arguing over those ossuaries for years!

All in all, this really seems to be as irrelevant as the "evidence" some Christians present for Jesus' existence. It looks to be simply a clever spin on some random old ossuraries.

If I know my Discovery Channel they will rerun this special over and over, long after it has been exposed. There will be wide sweeping and unprovable statements made periodically even by the narrator and it will sufficiently piss me off. Just like all the other ghost stories, hauntings, bigfoot investigations, and exorcists shows and specials.

Facts! Pssh, you can prove anything even remotely true with facts.
- Homer Simpson

[God] is an infinite nothing from nowhere with less power over our universe than the secretary of agriculture.
- Prof. Frink

Lisa: Yes, but wouldn't you rather know the truth than to delude yourself for happiness?
Marge: Well... um.... [goes outside to jump on tampoline with Homer.]
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 02/26/2007 :  13:58:53   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Indeed, Neur. They may not know science, history, or scholarship (or if they do, they don't care), but they certainly know self-promotion. Think of the Discovery Channel as PT Barnum, but without the heart.

Biology is just physics that has begun to smell bad.” —HalfMooner
Here's a link to Moonscape News, and one to its Archive.
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 02/27/2007 :  04:51:10   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Never a dull moment in the tomb tales, eh:
quote:
Jim Bawden
Television Columnist

"Archaeological discovery of the millennium!"

That's Toronto filmmaker Simcha Jacobovici on his latest TV epic, The Lost Tomb Of Jesus.

It may not be good history, good archaeology or good theology, but it's good TV.

Never one for understatement, Jacobovici jumps into a controversy and never looks back. Like his previous documentaries, what's fact and what's speculation in Lost Tomb may be difficult for viewers to separate, but it's entertaining and never dull.

It doesn't air until next week but, typically, Jacobovici has already stirred up enough interest in his theories to generate advance publicity rare for programs on relatively obscure channels far up the cable dial.

In the first of his biblical spectacles, a 2003 film on another hot topic, James Brother Of Jesus, he proudly stated, "I just made a film about a box." And then he produced a stone ossuary (a box for bones) with an ancient Aramaic inscription reading, "James, son of Joseph, brother of Jesus." Scholars soon charged that part of the inscription was a fake, etched in modern times.

The various "lost" tomb excitments are invaribly bullshit but they are fun to follow never the less, as they always produce a lot of unwarrented and unessesary excitement far exceeding any archeological value the find might have. Here's another shot at this one:
quote:
A top Israeli archaeologist on Monday rubbished claims featured in a documentary by award-winning film directors that the burial site of Jesus has been located and which suggests he had a son.

The Oscar-winning James Cameron and Israel-born Simcha Jacobovici are to unveil their explosive conclusions at a New York news conference on Monday ahead of the March 4 premiere of their film on the Discovery Channel.

The claims in "The Lost Tomb of Jesus" are based on the 1980 discovery of a tomb containing 10 caskets in the Jerusalem neighbourhood of Talpiot.

Some of the caskets were inscribed with the Hebrew names Yeshu Ben Yossef (Jesus son of Joseph), Yehuda Bar Yeshu (Judah son of Jesus), Martha and Myriam (Mary) -- all names associated with key players in the New Testament.

But archaeologist Professor Amos Kloner, who documented the tomb as the Jewish burial cave of a well-off family more than 10 years ago, is adamant there is no evidence to support claims that it was the burial site of Jesus.

"I'm a scholar. I do scholarly work which has nothing to do with documentary film-making. There's no way to take a religious story and to turn it into something scientific," he told AFP in a telephone interview.

It's getting highly repetative, but not yet dull. When it finally does get to the point where not even the True Believers(tm) care, I wonder what Discovery will do for an encore....

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

Ghost_Skeptic
SFN Regular

Canada
510 Posts

Posted - 02/27/2007 :  08:51:54   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Ghost_Skeptic a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Someone from a local bible college was interveiwed about this on the radio this morning. He pointed out that Jesus was a crucified criminal and his family were dirt poor. They were unlikely to be interred in such a fancy ossuary. Of course making sense never gets in the way of sensationalism.

"You can lead a horse to water but you can't make him drink. / You can send a kid to college but you can't make him think." - B.B. King

History is made by stupid people - The Arrogant Worms

"The greater the ignorance the greater the dogmatism." - William Osler

"Religion is the natural home of the psychopath" - Pat Condell

"The day will come when the mystical generation of Jesus, by the supreme being as his father in the womb of a virgin, will be classed with the fable of the generation of Minerva in the brain of Jupiter" - Thomas Jefferson
Go to Top of Page

beskeptigal
SFN Die Hard

USA
3834 Posts

Posted - 02/28/2007 :  04:12:56   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send beskeptigal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
One of the many ridiculous claims is that there is a space where the bone box could have been that was recently claimed to say "James, son of Joseph, brother of Jesus". Fer cryin out loud, the evidence is there is a space it could have been in? This is strictly entertainment sold as science.

Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 02/28/2007 :  04:29:32   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by beskeptigal

One of the many ridiculous claims is that there is a space where the bone box could have been that was recently claimed to say "James, son of Joseph, brother of Jesus". Fer cryin out loud, the evidence is there is a space it could have been in? This is strictly entertainment sold as science.

Especially since that James ossuary has already been proven to have had its inscription forged. A whole forgery ring was uncovered in the process. So these guys are saying that a forgery might have been in that slot? Huh? I'd keep my mouth shut about that idea if I were them.

Go to Top of Page

leoofno
Skeptic Friend

USA
346 Posts

Posted - 03/01/2007 :  11:42:17   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send leoofno a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I got a giggle out of this (from http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/17388557/site/newsweek/):

"Hankins argues that Christianity is strongly rooted in historical fact, both in context and in the events that unfold in the Bible, and it is that historicity, he says, which separates the faith from what he calls, “other world religions that are based in myth.” "

"If you're not terrified, you're not paying attention." Eric Alterman
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 03/01/2007 :  15:27:08   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by leoofno

I got a giggle out of this (from http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/17388557/site/newsweek/):

"Hankins argues that Christianity is strongly rooted in historical fact, both in context and in the events that unfold in the Bible, and it is that historicity, he says, which separates the faith from what he calls, “other world religions that are based in myth.” "

That stuff's really rich. These Jesus' bones claims, which should not be taken seriously on the minuscule evidence presented, have panicked some believers in a most revealing way. A Catholic priest or two had a reasonable approach, wanting to step aside and watch the archaeologists tear the claims apart. But the Bob Jones U. guy! While (falsely) claiming his religion is the only one with historical evidence behind it, he turns right around to warn that nobody should as much as think about this new stuff! Talk about cherry-picking, it doesn't get anymore obvious than that. It takes a worried man to sing a worried song.

And then there's the guy who dismisses the "evidence" on the grounds that Jesus' ascension was "metaphorical." Hey, make that religion metaphorical enough, and it might not be so poisonous! But the Greek religion remains a bunch of really great metaphorical stories, whereas the Bible has really rotten stories, and bad plots. I expect the lustful shenanigans of Zeus to far outlast the psychotic atrocities of Yahweh in the annals of mythology. It's better fiction.

As an atheist with a sixty-one-year-old chip on his shoulder concerning the abuses done in Jesus' name, I would like nothing so much as to see this essential myth about him disproven. But as an honest skeptic, I don't see any such evidence. In fact (despite my own attempt in my own similar tale), it's difficult to even imagine what such proof might be. So Jesus' bodily ascent to heaven will probably remain as safely protected by impenetrable ignorance as is the question of his very existence.

Fun to watch the faithful twitch, though, isn't it?

Edited by - HalfMooner on 03/01/2007 15:31:21
Go to Top of Page

pleco
SFN Addict

USA
2998 Posts

Posted - 03/01/2007 :  15:30:40   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit pleco's Homepage Send pleco a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I imagine the Really Faithful(tm) will not believe a word of it no matter what kind of proof there is, oh kinda like evolution, noah's ark, etc. etc. And I imagine that will be a majority of the American population <shudder>

by Filthy
The neo-con methane machine will soon be running at full fart.
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 03/01/2007 :  19:57:14   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You know, this must really confuse visiting fundies who expect skeptics and atheists to leap upon this Discovery circus bandwagon.

Here we are, instead, pointing out how little evidence has been found. They will be baffled by the intellectual honesty here. But meantime, their leaders will doubtless lie and blithely claim that we support this garbage as proof of Jesus' mortality. Mortality indeed. One needs to exist first, in order to be either mortal or divine.

No evidence of anything.

Go to Top of Page

furshur
SFN Regular

USA
1536 Posts

Posted - 03/01/2007 :  20:42:13   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send furshur a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

That is a pretty odd thing to say considering Mohammad is clearly a historical figure.

If I knew then what I know now then I would know more now than I know.
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 03/01/2007 :  21:55:31   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Very good point! Of course, those who run Bob Jones U. always have one standard final argument that gives them the feeling of winning, at least within their school. It goes something like this: "Shut up!"

This tends to make them intellectually lazy, and less than agile debaters when facing people outside their little dictatorship.

Go to Top of Page

Ghost_Skeptic
SFN Regular

Canada
510 Posts

Posted - 03/02/2007 :  13:34:34   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Ghost_Skeptic a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by furshur

quote:

That is a pretty odd thing to say considering Mohammad is clearly a historical figure.

Actually there the evidence for an historical Mohammad is about as good as than the evidence for an historical Christ - somewhere between slim and none. Like Furshur,I had always assumed Mohammad was an actual historicla figure, but a little digging convinced my otherwise.

According to Ibn Waraq
quote:
Both Ibn Ishaq and al-Waqidi's reputations have suffered in recent years as a consequence of the trenchant criticisms by Patricia Crone (especially in Meccan Trade and the Rise of Islam, pp. 203-30), where she argues that much of the classical Muslim understanding of the Koran rests on the work of storytellers and that this work is of very dubious historical value. These storytellers contributed to the tradition on the rise of Islam, and this is evident in the steady growth of information: "If one storyteller should happen to mention a raid, the next storyteller would know the date of this raid, while the third would know everything that an audience might wish to hear about it."
Sourced from An Atheist's guide to Islam

"You can lead a horse to water but you can't make him drink. / You can send a kid to college but you can't make him think." - B.B. King

History is made by stupid people - The Arrogant Worms

"The greater the ignorance the greater the dogmatism." - William Osler

"Religion is the natural home of the psychopath" - Pat Condell

"The day will come when the mystical generation of Jesus, by the supreme being as his father in the womb of a virgin, will be classed with the fable of the generation of Minerva in the brain of Jupiter" - Thomas Jefferson
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 03/02/2007 :  14:38:09   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Uh, oh! Someone I know just got a fatwa issued on his ass.

Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 03/03/2007 :  05:44:04   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've been watching for this for several days, now -- the gang at AiG has been a little slow on this one.
quote:
A tale from a crypt
A preliminary comment

March 2, 2007

Oh, the tales some people will tell (and the money they will make) in an attempt to undermine the Christian faith! In recent years, many of the attacks against the Bible have been aimed at the book of Genesis and its account of creation and a global flood. Increasingly, though, skeptics have been using archaeology to attempt to also undermine the rest of the Bible's 65 books.

This Sunday evening, a “documentary” produced by famed Hollywood director James Cameron, titled The Lost Tomb of Jesus, will be shown on the Discovery Channel. Cameron and his cohort claim that the film will successfully argue that a Jerusalem tomb unearthed in 1980 contained the coffins and remains of Jesus and his family—including Mary Magdalene, allegedly the wife of Jesus, and a son “Judah” whom the two supposedly had. Of course, among other problems we have with these claims, this is contrary to the accounts in the New Testament in which we are told that Christ, after His death on the Cross, rose physically from the dead. It's a doctrine all Christians must defend, for our faith is in vain if Christ did not rise from the dead (1 Corinthians 15:14). In reality, this film is just the latest in a long line of variations on the rumor that started just after Jesus' ressurection, as we see in Matthew 28:12-15. We wonder if many skeptics who have long denied a historical Jesus may now—conveniently—claim there was one, but will smugly add that this “proves” he died and that there was no Resurrection.

I'm looking forward to the "Rest of the Story," as it were. As stated, they promise a full critique as soon as the show is broadcast. Should be a fun blither....

Oh, and I'm happy to note that their Creation Museum is coming along quite well, thank you, and will be up and screwing the faithful right on schedule.

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 4 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.34 seconds.