Attack on Gore carefully timed, aided by CNN lies
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 02/28/2007 :  03:59:30  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Al Gore has been attacked by the Tennessee Center for Policy Research, a conservative Tennessee think tank, accused of hypocrisy for using too much electricity in his home. Coming immediately after Gore's high point at the Oscars, this has every appearance of a Rovian coordinated political dirty trick.

Helping the attack was Linda Stouffer of CNN, who repeatedly misidentified TCPR as a "environmental group," as did onscreen graphics. Here voice fairly drips with scorn toward Gore.

Here's Media Matters' take on the incident and CNN's biased handling of it.

Biology is just physics that has begun to smell bad.” —HalfMooner
Here's a link to Moonscape News, and one to its Archive.

beskeptigal
SFN Die Hard

USA
3834 Posts

Posted - 02/28/2007 :  04:06:50   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send beskeptigal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I dunno, HM. I heard the spokesperson for the group in an interview on the public radio here today and he was a proponent of taking action on global warming and a Gore supporter. But Gore really is not the best example setter in this case. And while Gore claimed to be using only 'green' energy, the group critiquing his use of energy said it all comes from the same grid.

So CNN might have not been fair reporting on it but Gore still looks pretty bad with his conspicuous consumption.

Edited by - beskeptigal on 02/28/2007 04:08:06
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 02/28/2007 :  04:25:06   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by beskeptigal

I dunno, HM. I heard the spokesperson for the group in an interview on the public radio here today and he was a proponent of taking action on global warming and a Gore supporter. But Gore really is not the best example setter in this case. And while Gore claimed to be using only 'green' energy, the group critiquing his use of energy said it all comes from the same grid.

So CNN might have not been fair reporting on it but Gore still looks pretty bad with his conspicuous consumption.

Have you checked out the link the group's site? It's a conservative outfit, through and through. Yes, all power is shared over the same grid, but it's possible to get yours sourced from a renewable supply. That is, it works out that way through complex calculations.

The guy's got a big family, a big house (pretty much required for a politician. Easy target. Show me a politician who uses less energy. These accusers are probably hypocrites themselves.

Biology is just physics that has begun to smell bad.” —HalfMooner
Here's a link to Moonscape News, and one to its Archive.
Go to Top of Page

Cuneiformist
The Imperfectionist

USA
4955 Posts

Posted - 02/28/2007 :  11:21:49   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Cuneiformist a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by beskeptigal

Well, it's a bit unfair to begin with to compare Gore's energy use to that of the "average" household (whatever that is) without providing a context. (Just like those ads that talk about some poor person in such-and-such country making pennies a day...)

Moreover, it's also clear that Gore actually does work to offset the so-called "carbon footprint" of his house and career. My guess is that when compared to any number of right wing AM echo-chamber shills, Gore's "mansion" uses far less energy than the "average" home.
Edited by - Cuneiformist on 02/28/2007 11:23:41
Go to Top of Page

beskeptigal
SFN Die Hard

USA
3834 Posts

Posted - 03/04/2007 :  01:01:26   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send beskeptigal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Now more is coming out about the right wing position of the critical group. They did a good job in the interview claiming to be pro-Gore just concerned about his energy use. My skepticism grows. But, that's still a lot of conspicuous consumption. Guess I need to look into it further.

Go to Top of Page

Dr. Mabuse
Septic Fiend

Sweden
9687 Posts

Posted - 03/04/2007 :  04:18:43   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Dr. Mabuse an ICQ Message Send Dr. Mabuse a Private Message  Reply with Quote
What are their sources?
Is there a way to double-check the numbers?
What is the consumption of comparable mansions?

Dr. Mabuse - "When the going gets tough, the tough get Duct-tape..."
Dr. Mabuse whisper.mp3

"Equivocation is not just a job, for a creationist it's a way of life..." Dr. Mabuse

Support American Troops in Iraq:
Send them unarmed civilians for target practice..
Collateralmurder.
Go to Top of Page

Original_Intent
SFN Regular

USA
609 Posts

Posted - 03/04/2007 :  14:53:52   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Original_Intent a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I am looking for a good link for where Gore is buying the energy credits from his investment firm, not so they can buy green, but so that they can buy more GE.....

Furthermore, claiming to be carbon neutral is just about as bullshit as you can get. On top of that, the goal is to decrease, not to "balance out," which makes his position even more bullshit.

That was his pprimary Tennesse residence and the guest house..... What about his other houses?

Peace
Joe
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.09 seconds.