Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Kil
Evil Skeptic

USA
13476 Posts

Posted - 03/05/2007 :  09:06:46   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Kil's Homepage  Send Kil an AOL message  Send Kil a Yahoo! Message Send Kil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Maybe instead of trying to explain why I think a national ID it's a bad idea, someone should explain to me why it's a good idea? After all, most of us already carry or have many forms of ID that we use selectively and voluntarily depending on the situation. And I'm not even including our social security numbers, which is already in the national database.

Besides the expense that comes with yet another layer of bureaucracy, how would the card make our country more secure?

Forget possible abuses. Just tell me why we need it?

Uncertainty may make you uncomfortable. Certainty makes you ridiculous.

Why not question something for a change?

Genetic Literacy Project
Go to Top of Page

Siberia
SFN Addict

Brazil
2322 Posts

Posted - 03/05/2007 :  09:34:37   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Siberia's Homepage  Send Siberia an AOL message  Send Siberia a Yahoo! Message Send Siberia a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dr. Mabuse

That is weird.
In Sweden, a driving license works as a national ID.
There is also a special National ID which works in most Western Europe thanks to the Schengen Agreement. With it, I won't need a Passport when I travel to countries like Germany, France, and Spain.

That is really odd. That means any citizen has an ID only worth in the state that emitted it, or am I confusing things? Because if that's the case, in Brazil all documents identifying someone, are worth everywhere in the country.

Or, are people trying to establish a single form of identification? I'm hoping the latter, because otherwise, it seems quite pointless a discussion to me...

(and yes, I failed to open the links... I will when I have time, promise.)

"Why are you afraid of something you're not even sure exists?"
- The Kovenant, Via Negativa

"People who don't like their beliefs being laughed at shouldn't have such funny beliefs."
-- unknown
Edited by - Siberia on 03/05/2007 09:39:34
Go to Top of Page

Gorgo
SFN Die Hard

USA
5310 Posts

Posted - 03/05/2007 :  09:35:09   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Gorgo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I think all the pertinent info can be incorporated into the intergalactic chip we all have implanted in our gonads.

I know the rent is in arrears
The dog has not been fed in years
It's even worse than it appears
But it's alright-
Jerry Garcia
Robert Hunter

Go to Top of Page

Gorgo
SFN Die Hard

USA
5310 Posts

Posted - 03/05/2007 :  10:41:35   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Gorgo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
That is really odd. That means any citizen has an ID only worth in the state that emitted it, or am I confusing things? Because if that's the case, in Brazil all documents identifying someone, are worth everywhere in the country.

Or, are people trying to establish a single form of identification? I'm hoping the latter, because otherwise, it seems quite pointless a discussion to me...

(and yes, I failed to open the links... I will when I have time, promise.)

I have a driver's license, which means I can drive in any state, and use that as identification for most things. When I moved out of state, I had a certain length of time to get a driver's license in the new state. There was no test involved, outside of a vision test, but I had to fill out paperwork and get a new license, and new plates for the car.

It would seem to me to make more sense to have one test and one set of standards for driving in every state. That would effectively give us one national i.d. card, at least for us who drive. A lot of states have i.d. cards for those who do not drive, as people need i.d. for a lot of things. Not sure why a national i.d. card would not make sense, but I haven't studied up on it either.

I know the rent is in arrears
The dog has not been fed in years
It's even worse than it appears
But it's alright-
Jerry Garcia
Robert Hunter

Go to Top of Page

BigPapaSmurf
SFN Die Hard

3192 Posts

Posted - 03/05/2007 :  10:48:40   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send BigPapaSmurf a Private Message  Reply with Quote
For those not in the know,

In the US each State issues its own ID cards, though driving licences are the primary form of identification. The only national IDs are for immigrants and Passports. This may seem weird, but the idea of State individuality is an old favorite. Many of our laws are not universal, such as age of sexual consent/gambling etc.

The idea of a national ID is seen as a problem due to the loss of state powers, the barcodes and potential to track the indiviudual with RFID. The barcodes (which many states already have)can track purchases for a variety of items people may not want listed in a database, such as that fifth of vodka you buy each night.

Aslo a buch of jerks think that all barcodes are the mark of the devil, hiding the 666, which doesnt help the matter.

"...things I have neither seen nor experienced nor heard tell of from anybody else; things, what is more, that do not in fact exist and could not ever exist at all. So my readers must not believe a word I say." -Lucian on his book True History

"...They accept such things on faith alone, without any evidence. So if a fraudulent and cunning person who knows how to take advantage of a situation comes among them, he can make himself rich in a short time." -Lucian critical of early Christians c.166 AD From his book, De Morte Peregrini
Go to Top of Page

Siberia
SFN Addict

Brazil
2322 Posts

Posted - 03/05/2007 :  11:42:28   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Siberia's Homepage  Send Siberia an AOL message  Send Siberia a Yahoo! Message Send Siberia a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Oh wow. That's really different from over here - I'd never have guessed.

In Brazil, most serious laws (such as the punishment for murder) are federal. The states aren't very independent, even though we do live in a federation. That's for historical and sociological issues that are not relevant in this thread.

The only change we have to do when moving is the car's license plate, because the traffic laws are vary in the states - and even that isn't necessary anymore, as they have established a nation-wide license plate database. Everything else related to personal identification is nation-wide.

"People who don't like their beliefs being laughed at shouldn't have such funny beliefs."
-- unknown
Edited by - Siberia on 03/05/2007 11:47:01
Go to Top of Page

beskeptigal
SFN Die Hard

USA
3834 Posts

Posted - 03/05/2007 :  15:16:40   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send beskeptigal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
There are increasing numbers of data bases here and worldwide as well. I think the National ID proposals are just like much of our current legislation. It looks like Congress is doing something about the open southern border whether they are or not. It's really a BS issue at this point since the actual ID isn't needed to accomplish all the same things.

Data bases used by marketers are the most pervasive. Bet Brazil and Sweden's food retailers haven't started tracking people's purchases by electronic ID card yet. Here if you don't want to be tracked you pay more for food.

Bush has done all sorts of tracking of citizens via data mining and things like checking your bank and library records.

So the actual ID is just politics over illegal immigration.

Did you know someone looked into how easy it would be to find all those illegal workers by simply going to the volumes of invalid social security numbers on file in the tax system?

There are some employers with >100,000 bad SSNs filed for their employees including one State in the top offender list.

The idea of using tax records to find illegal workers is a no brainer.
http://www.gao.gov/new.items/d06458t.pdf

Lou Dobbs has been asking why we aren't.

http://transcripts.cnn.com/TRANSCRIPTS/0505/24/ldt.01.html

"Alarming news from the Pentagon tonight. An audit by the Social Security Administration shows hundreds of Department of Defense employees are using invalid Social Security numbers, and the majority of the invalid identification numbers are being used by active duty or reserve members of the military."

I'll have to hunt down the list of top offending employers that included one State. No time at the moment.

The debate on ID cards is just a distraction. Computers turned your SSN into a national ID without many people noticing.

Edited by - beskeptigal on 03/05/2007 15:19:49
Go to Top of Page

JohnOAS
SFN Regular

Australia
800 Posts

Posted - 03/05/2007 :  15:55:35   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit JohnOAS's Homepage Send JohnOAS a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kil

Maybe instead of trying to explain why I think a national ID it's a bad idea, someone should explain to me why it's a good idea? After all, most of us already carry or have many forms of ID that we use selectively and voluntarily depending on the situation. And I'm not even including our social security numbers, which is already in the national database.

Besides the expense that comes with yet another layer of bureaucracy, how would the card make our country more secure?

Forget possible abuses. Just tell me why we need it?

I don't think anyone needs it. And if you can't replace at least a couple of pre-exisiting form of ID with it, then you're not really doing anyone any favours.

In order to improve security, there are 2 main issues:
1. How easy it is to get one, such as requiring a sufficient level of other identification. If it's trivialy easy to get a new (fake) universal ID, it's obviously a bad thing.
2. How easy is it to fake one? Many current forms of ID are trivially easy to forge. There are a variety of technologies which make casual forging difficult. The serious crooks will always find a way of course.

Having a (more) "universal" standard may also make it easier to educate people as to how to properly asess an ID,, without having to be familiar with X different versions from Y different states.

I haven't lost much sleep over the RFID tag issue yet, but I suspect that stocks in companies producing faraday wallets may not be a bad investment.

John's just this guy, you know.
Go to Top of Page

Siberia
SFN Addict

Brazil
2322 Posts

Posted - 03/05/2007 :  16:04:37   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Siberia's Homepage  Send Siberia an AOL message  Send Siberia a Yahoo! Message Send Siberia a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by beskeptigal

Bet Brazil and Sweden's food retailers haven't started tracking people's purchases by electronic ID card yet. Here if you don't want to be tracked you pay more for food.

Nope, and I doubt many people would care if they did. We aren't very paranoid about privacy over here in Brazil, at least, not that I know of.

RFID is used mainly in large warehouses and industrial parks over here.

-- unknown
Edited by - Siberia on 03/05/2007 16:05:49
Go to Top of Page

Cuneiformist
The Imperfectionist

USA
4955 Posts

Posted - 03/05/2007 :  18:00:31   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Cuneiformist a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by JohnOAS
I don't think anyone needs it. And if you can't replace at least a couple of pre-exisiting form of ID with it, then you're not really doing anyone any favours.

In order to improve security, there are 2 main issues:
1. How easy it is to get one, such as requiring a sufficient level of other identification. If it's trivialy easy to get a new (fake) universal ID, it's obviously a bad thing.
2. How easy is it to fake one? Many current forms of ID are trivially easy to forge. There are a variety of technologies which make casual forging difficult. The serious crooks will always find a way of course.

Having a (more) "universal" standard may also make it easier to educate people as to how to properly asess an ID,, without having to be familiar with X different versions from Y different states.

I haven't lost much sleep over the RFID tag issue yet, but I suspect that stocks in companies producing faraday wallets may not be a bad investment.
But here's the thing, John-- the purpose for the national ID is ostensibly to fight terrorism. As though a huge problem were terrorists sneaking into this country and getting fake IDs. But clearly that's not the case. I think that BSG is probably onto something in that that national ID thing is in part a front to make Congress look like it's doing something real when it's really just posturing, but who knows.
Go to Top of Page

Dr. Mabuse
Septic Fiend

Sweden
9687 Posts

Posted - 03/05/2007 :  18:49:58   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Dr. Mabuse an ICQ Message Send Dr. Mabuse a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Siberia
Nope, and I doubt many people would care if they did. We aren't very paranoid about privacy over here in Brazil, at least, not that I know of.
We aren't in Sweden either.
quote:
RFID is used mainly in large warehouses and industrial parks over here.

The only place I know there's an RFID is in my lab-coat, because it came with it if we ever started hiring laundry service. As it is now, each worker is responsible for keeping it clean. The tag isn't used for anything else. I've played with the idea of harvesting those tags from co-workers, to use them for my own personal projects.

Dr. Mabuse - "When the going gets tough, the tough get Duct-tape..."
Dr. Mabuse whisper.mp3

"Equivocation is not just a job, for a creationist it's a way of life..." Dr. Mabuse

Support American Troops in Iraq:
Send them unarmed civilians for target practice..
Collateralmurder.
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 03/05/2007 :  18:59:19   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Cuneiformist

...the purpose for the national ID is ostensibly to fight terrorism.
Well, I've been wondering about why we don't have a national ID for over 20 years now.

More particularly, a national driver's licensing program. It doesn't make sense for us to have 50-plus different sets of driving laws when "ignorance of the law is no excuse." This was especially true back when I was in high school, and several states decided to allow right turns on red lights. Not all the states at once, just a few began it, and then more and more followed suit. I have no idea if any states still ban it, but the point is that for a while, things were confusing.

I'm actually beginning to wonder if the states haven't worn out their utility. But that's probably for another thread. I'll try to think of some good points for a national ID, but as I said before, if I had paid attention to the discussion in prior years, I probably wouldn't have asked the question in the OP at all.

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Why not question something for a change?
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.
Go to Top of Page

JohnOAS
SFN Regular

Australia
800 Posts

Posted - 03/05/2007 :  19:02:33   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit JohnOAS's Homepage Send JohnOAS a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by CuneiformistBut here's the thing, John-- the purpose for the national ID is ostensibly to fight terrorism. As though a huge problem were terrorists sneaking into this country and getting fake IDs. But clearly that's not the case. I think that BSG is probably onto something in that that national ID thing is in part a front to make Congress look like it's doing something real when it's really just posturing, but who knows.

I apologise for not making myself clearer. I was speaking from a more general POV, rather than about the US implementation in particular.

I agree that any attempt to get such a system into place as a means of fighting terrorism is likely to be either deliberate misdirection or just plain misguided.

I can't really comment on how US politics works, but I know our politicians are certainly not averse to posturing about all sorts of issues in order to claim they are, for example "getting tough on terrorism". We're only weeks away from state elections here, and both major parties are spending the majority of their time trying to put dirt the opposition, rather than actually explaining how and why they are a better option.

It would seem that politics is a universal non-language.

John's just this guy, you know.
Go to Top of Page

beskeptigal
SFN Die Hard

USA
3834 Posts

Posted - 03/06/2007 :  02:49:35   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send beskeptigal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I believe this site has more specific criticisms and explanations than the more general ones noted at the beginning of this thread.

National ID Cards and REAL ID Act; EPIC, Electronic Privacy information Center
quote:
# After Long Delay, Homeland Security Department Issues Regulations for Flawed National ID Plan. More than two years after Congress rushed through passage of the REAL ID Act (pdf), the Department of Homeland Security announced today proposed regulations (pdf) that would turn the state driver's license into a national identity card. The estimated cost of the plan exceeds $11 billion and the national ID system will increase security risks (pdf) as well as the threats to personal privacy. Proposals to repeal Real ID have been adopted in the states and introduced in Congress. (Mar. 1)

# DHS Envisions REAL ID Used for 'Whole Host of Other Purposes.' In a speech on Monday, DHS Secretary Michael Chertoff said the REAL ID Act (pdf) licenses might "do double-duty or triple-duty." These REAL ID cards would "be used for a whole host of other purposes where you now have to carry different identification." Security expert Bruce Schneier, EPIC (pdf) and others have explained that it is decreases security to have one ID card for many purposes, as there will be a substantial amount of harm when the card is compromised. Using a national ID card would be as if you used one key to open your house, your car, your safe deposit box, your office, and more. This envisions state driver's licenses as national ID cards, which are prohibited. The Homeland Security Act of 2002 explicitly said, "Nothing in this Act shall be construed to authorize the development of a national identification system or card." (Feb. 16)

# EPIC Warns Maryland Senate of REAL ID's Security Risks. At a public hearing of the Maryland Senate, EPIC's Melissa Ngo explained (pdf) that the privacy and security risks of the REAL ID Act remain unresolved. She also pointed to the adverse impact on victims of domestic violence. The federal legislation would create a national database with the personal data of 245 million license and state ID cardholders, yet there is still no plan for adequate privacy and security safeguards. This would leave sensitive data at risk for identity theft, misuse or abuse. EPIC expressed support for a Maryland bill calling for repeal of the REAL ID Act. (Feb. 15)
Minimum document requirements, §202(b):

"To meet the requirements of this section, a State shall include, at a minimum, the following information and features on each driver's license and identification card issued to a person by the State:

(1) The person's full legal name.

(2) The person's date of birth.

(3) The person's gender.

(4) The person's driver's license or identification card number.

(5) A digital photograph of the person.

(6) The person's address of principle residence.

(7) The person's signature.

(8) Physical security features designed to prevent tampering, counterfeiting, or duplication of the document for fraudulent purposes.

(9) A common machine-readable technology, with defined minimum data elements."

EPIC analysis:

We strongly advise deleting the §202(b)(6) requirement of displaying the person's address of principal residence on the card. This has significant implications for domestic violence victims and the homeless. We suggest requiring the acceptance of alternate addresses, such as P.O. boxes, in order to protect the privacy of individuals.

There is also the risk that the Department of Homeland Security guidelines will, under the §202(b)(9) requirement of "common machine-readable technology," mandate that the states must include radio frequency identification (RFID) technology in DL/ID. This wireless technology has significant security risks, including those of surreptitious gathering of personal data by unauthorized individuals and clandestine tracking of cardholders. EPIC has consistently recommended the use of contact technology, such as the stripes on the backs of credit cards, in identification documents. Contact cards are more secure; they do not contain the risk of data theft through wireless transmission and allow cardholders to have control over who sees their data. See EPIC's RFID page for more information on the dangers of using RFID in identification documents.

As the DMVs must verify name, date of birth, Social Security number, place of residence and citizenship status, "with the issuing agency," this creates an incredible bureaucracy. The DMVs must all have secure access to state and federal databases with this information. These databases have been found to have inaccurate or incomplete information, which would significantly affect DL/ID applicants. Imagine the delays, as state DMV workers will be forced to become federal immigration officers, verifying the citizenship status of applicants. And there is question of whether citizens or legal permanent residents can find the documentation required. Section 202(c)(3)(B) forbids the acceptance of "any foreign document, other than an official passport, to satisfy a requirement of paragraph (1) or (2)." There are also discrimination concerns, as those who look or sound "foreign" would be targeted. The National Conference of State Legislatures has said, "The Real ID Act would cause chaos and backlogs in thousands of state offices across the country, making the nation less secure."

The requirements to maintain paper copies or digital images of these important identity documents for seven to 10 years, combined with the requirement to "provide electronic access to all other States to information contained in the motor vehicle database of the State" will make this data a tempting target for identity thieves. The 50 state (plus the District of Columbia) databases would become on large database. And one presumes that each DMV would have access to these databases at the very least to confirm that the applicant does not have a REAL ID license or ID card in another state. If a criminal could break the security of any one of the tens of thousands of entrance points, then the criminal would have access to the personal data, including Social Security numbers, of every single person in the United State with a REAL ID license or ID card. This would put hundreds of millions of people at risk for identity theft.

The requirement for non-REAL ID-compliant DL/ID to have explicit "invalid for federal purposes" designations, turns this "voluntary" card into a mandatory national ID card. Anyone with a non-REAL ID-compliant card would be instantly suspicious. Compliant cards would be necessary for federal purposes such as entering courthouses, air travel or receiving federal benefits, such as Medicaid or Social Security. It would be easy for insurance companies, credit card companies, even video stores, to demand a REAL ID-compliant DL/ID in order to receive services. Significant delay, complication and possibly harassment or discrimination would fall upon those without a REAL ID license or ID card.

There is a lot more information on the site as well as links to the actual legislation text.

I find their arguments compelling.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.12 seconds.