Brazilians protesting against Bush...
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Siberia
SFN Addict

Brazil
2322 Posts

Posted - 03/08/2007 :  15:10:36  Show Profile  Visit Siberia's Homepage  Send Siberia an AOL message  Send Siberia a Yahoo! Message Send Siberia a Private Message  Reply with Quote
... after the U.S. president decided to visit my country, inspiring several protests against him in several cities. Of course, said protests also involve politics not connected with the United States at all.

One such protest is very close to my place, and it's raging since 4pm (it's 7pm now). Apparently 3000 people appeared in this protest. Most of them are women and they are protesting not only against him, but for women's right and "for the Iraqi women" (the logic fails me). I've links but they're in portuguese, so it doesn't help.

image from Folha de São Paulo.

"Why are you afraid of something you're not even sure exists?"
- The Kovenant, Via Negativa

"People who don't like their beliefs being laughed at shouldn't have such funny beliefs."
-- unknown

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 03/08/2007 :  15:48:40   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
That's a lot of people. It is funny how protests tend to get all mixed up, with everyone who has an issue (or thinks they do) using any big protest like a Swiss Army knife. I hope Bush brings back some Brazilian ethanol. Better yet, I hope he doesn't make it back.

Biology is just physics that has begun to smell bad.” —HalfMooner
Here's a link to Moonscape News, and one to its Archive.
Go to Top of Page

beskeptigal
SFN Die Hard

USA
3834 Posts

Posted - 03/09/2007 :  04:00:08   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send beskeptigal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well we have killed a lot of Iraqi civilians. Maybe that's what they are upset about. But I wonder now, do you have much of a Muslim population there?

Bush has made us look really bad everywhere, but he didn't start the bad reputation, it began long ago. I was thinking of something like if you abuse your kids, when they grow up you'll be sorry. We supported many terrible regimes in Central and South America over the last century. And some of those countries are standing up now.

Edited by - beskeptigal on 03/09/2007 04:42:34
Go to Top of Page

marfknox
SFN Die Hard

USA
3739 Posts

Posted - 03/09/2007 :  04:22:23   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit marfknox's Homepage  Send marfknox an AOL message Send marfknox a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Siberia wrote:
quote:
Most of them are women and they are protesting not only against him, but for women's right and "for the Iraqi women" (the logic fails me).
I'm betting that is because under Hussein women actually have quite a few institutionalized rights that since his fall they have lost and now have to fight to get back with the new government. While Hussein did run a dictatorship, it was secular, and the religious fanatics on both sides of Islam are both extremely oppressive of women.

Here's an article about this issue from Human Rights Watch: http://www.hrw.org/backgrounder/wrd/iraq-women.htm

"Too much certainty and clarity could lead to cruel intolerance" -Karen Armstrong

Check out my art store: http://www.marfknox.etsy.com

Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 03/09/2007 :  06:39:48   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Heh, it gets better:
quote:
Priests to Purify Site After Bush Visit
By JUAN CARLOS LLORCA

Posted: Today at 12:22 a.m.

GUATEMALA CITY — Mayan priests will purify a sacred archaeological site to eliminate "bad spirits" after President Bush visits next week, an official with close ties to the group said Thursday.

"That a person like (Bush), with the persecution of our migrant brothers in the United States, with the wars he has provoked, is going to walk in our sacred lands, is an offense for the Mayan people and their culture," Juan Tiney, the director of a Mayan nongovernmental organization with close ties to Mayan religious and political leaders, said Thursday.

Maybe we could hire a couple of those priest fellows to go through the White House after Bush has vacated it. It will probably need to be throughly exorcised of his demonic, spiritual essence by that time.

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

Siberia
SFN Addict

Brazil
2322 Posts

Posted - 03/09/2007 :  09:12:53   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Siberia's Homepage  Send Siberia an AOL message  Send Siberia a Yahoo! Message Send Siberia a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by beskeptigal

Well we have killed a lot of Iraqi civilians. Maybe that's what they are upset about. But I wonder now, do you have much of a Muslim population there?

That occurred to me later last night. Indeed we have a vast Muslim population, especially in my state, including refugees from Iraq (I know a few). Back when the war began, the media was keen to focus on these very families and how they were taking it.

And thanks to Bush, I took 45 minutes to get home, when the norm is 10 minutes, because he couldn't go in a stupid helicopter Police everywhere to keep him from being randomly killed (and the rest of us as a consequence - never underestimate the power of stupid people).

"People who don't like their beliefs being laughed at shouldn't have such funny beliefs."
-- unknown
Edited by - Siberia on 03/09/2007 10:20:45
Go to Top of Page

beskeptigal
SFN Die Hard

USA
3834 Posts

Posted - 03/10/2007 :  00:21:27   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send beskeptigal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Unless that consequence was the result of Cheney taking over, were you thinking we'd attack Brazil or your police would mow down the crowd?

Don't you love the BS Bush spews wherever he goes? He wants to help the poor now.
Go to Top of Page

Siberia
SFN Addict

Brazil
2322 Posts

Posted - 03/10/2007 :  08:30:52   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Siberia's Homepage  Send Siberia an AOL message  Send Siberia a Yahoo! Message Send Siberia a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Unless that consequence was the result of Cheney taking over, were you thinking we'd attack Brazil or your police would mow down the crowd?

Don't you love the BS Bush spews wherever he goes? He wants to help the poor now.

The police would mow down the crowd to save our collective asses, most likely.

-- unknown
Go to Top of Page

beskeptigal
SFN Die Hard

USA
3834 Posts

Posted - 03/11/2007 :  03:25:44   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send beskeptigal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Whoa! That's not good.
Go to Top of Page

Siberia
SFN Addict

Brazil
2322 Posts

Posted - 03/11/2007 :  06:54:19   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Siberia's Homepage  Send Siberia an AOL message  Send Siberia a Yahoo! Message Send Siberia a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Whoa! That's not good.

In the occasion of being invaded by the U.S., we'd without a doubt lose, terribly - because our military is a joke. We're a peaceful country (when it comes to war, that is; we've lots of inbred violence to keep us busy).

It even says so in our constitution:

quote:
the Brazilian Constitution sez:

Art. 4th: The Federative Republic of Brazil is guided in its international relations by the following principles:
IV - non-intervention;
VI - defense of peace
V - pacific resolution to conflicts

We're unprepared. That's why Bush was followed around by the Army (and even airforce), so as to guarantee nobody tried anything funny (as if we would anyway - we aren't that type of people; if he was randomly shot it would probably be an accident) and ended having us all killed.

Those protests met the police, too, but that's because the crowd was getting violent.

Or, of course, I might have misinterpreted (I so mispelled that) your question entirely

-- unknown
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.09 seconds.