Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic 
Page: of 2

marfknox
SFN Die Hard

USA
3739 Posts

Posted - 03/13/2007 :  07:58:21   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit marfknox's Homepage  Send marfknox an AOL message Send marfknox a Private Message  Reply with Quote
There's a KK factory near where I live too and I love the smell. Last year I used to pass a gas station on my way home that sold them, and about once every two weeks I'd bread down and get a boston creme. But I haven't had a donut since I started driving to my job in September, and rarely get the cravings.

"Too much certainty and clarity could lead to cruel intolerance" -Karen Armstrong

Check out my art store: http://www.marfknox.etsy.com

Go to Top of Page

marfknox
SFN Die Hard

USA
3739 Posts

Posted - 03/13/2007 :  08:03:35   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit marfknox's Homepage  Send marfknox an AOL message Send marfknox a Private Message  Reply with Quote
This whole craze over alternative health foods is so stupid. Most of these low fat, no fat, or whole wheat products are still overprocessed and not much better for you. I've read a lot over the past 10 years about healthy eating, and it seems that what I hear over and over the most is:

-eat more fruits and veggies, especially raw or steamed
-try to eat whole grain over white bread, rice, and pasta (notice no donuts mentioned)
-eat small meals and snacks throughout the day
-drink plenty of water
-avoid alcohol, caffeine, desserts and very fatty foods, especially those with saturated fat

Nothing to hard to remember. No reason to go to any extremes. Just a lot of variety and common sense.

Anyone fooled by a whole wheat donut is engaging in wishful thinking. If you want a donut, eat a donut, and then make a real effort to snack on fruits and veggies the rest of the week.

"Too much certainty and clarity could lead to cruel intolerance" -Karen Armstrong

Edited by - marfknox on 03/13/2007 08:04:58
Go to Top of Page

Gorgo
SFN Die Hard

USA
5310 Posts

Posted - 03/13/2007 :  08:15:48   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Gorgo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Every year my dad and I got to his restaurant at 4 in the morning to make 40 dozen donuts the day of the Halloween parade. Greasy deep-fried, sugar-coated or frosted cake donuts that the town would give away with cider at the annual festivities.

I had all the sugar frosted donut holes I could eat in my childhood, and I still have some remnants of a circulatory and digestive system.

I rarely eat donuts now, because they're not really made for human consumption, but I have not grown tired of the taste forty-some years later. I think my father tried to eat at least one daily until they could no longer stuff them into an IV.

I know the rent is in arrears
The dog has not been fed in years
It's even worse than it appears
But it's alright-
Jerry Garcia
Robert Hunter

Go to Top of Page

cactusmush

21 Posts

Posted - 03/13/2007 :  09:21:10   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send cactusmush a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by marfknox

This whole craze over alternative health foods is so stupid. Most of these low fat, no fat, or whole wheat products are still overprocessed and not much better for you. I've read a lot over the past 10 years about healthy eating, and it seems that what I hear over and over the most is:

-eat more fruits and veggies, especially raw or steamed
-try to eat whole grain over white bread, rice, and pasta (notice no donuts mentioned)
-eat small meals and snacks throughout the day
-drink plenty of water
-avoid alcohol, caffeine, desserts and very fatty foods, especially those with saturated fat

I'd like to add to your list the Juniper Berry essence and olive oil found in a good dry Gin martini (Bombay if you please....)
Go to Top of Page

moakley
SFN Regular

USA
1888 Posts

Posted - 03/13/2007 :  09:40:31   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send moakley a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by marfknox

-avoid alcohol

Due to a personal bias, I've always wanted articles such as this to be completely true.

Life is good

Philosophy is questions that may never be answered. Religion is answers that may never be questioned. -Anonymous
Go to Top of Page

pleco
SFN Addict

USA
2998 Posts

Posted - 03/13/2007 :  10:16:46   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit pleco's Homepage Send pleco a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by cactusmush
I'd like to add to your list the Juniper Berry essence and olive oil found in a good dry Gin martini (Bombay if you please....)

Vodka Martini is better!

by Filthy
The neo-con methane machine will soon be running at full fart.
Go to Top of Page

marfknox
SFN Die Hard

USA
3739 Posts

Posted - 03/13/2007 :  10:37:56   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit marfknox's Homepage  Send marfknox an AOL message Send marfknox a Private Message  Reply with Quote
moakley wrote:
quote:
Due to a personal bias, I've always wanted articles such as this to be completely true.
Oh ditto! Ever since it recently came out that the whole wine-is-good-for-your-heart conclusion is probably wrong, I've been spreading that skeptical news to people I know, and they get really annoyed when I do this. Especially my dad who for years has been using that wine study as an excuse to buy cases of two buck chuck (Charles Shaw wine - can be purchased at Trader Joe's).

But anyway, I tried to phrase my list in a way that was not extreme. Avoid alcohol, opposed to Don't drink alcohol. Although I don't even follow the whole avoid rule myself. I love good scotch and dark microbrew beer and gin and tonics and vodka with sparkling fruit juices, and I have one of such types of drinks most evenings. I only actually avoid alcohol when I have to get up really early the next morning and I very rarely get drunk.

My philosophy tends to be everything in moderation. Last night I ate pizza, but today I ate a healthy breakfast and a grapefruit and corn and pepper chowder for lunch. Healthy dinner is already cookin'. If I balance it all out, no guilt and no lectures from my doctor.

Go to Top of Page

marfknox
SFN Die Hard

USA
3739 Posts

Posted - 03/13/2007 :  10:40:07   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit marfknox's Homepage  Send marfknox an AOL message Send marfknox a Private Message  Reply with Quote
pleco wrote:
quote:
Vodka Martini is better!
I used to think vodka martinis were better, but I'm on the gin band wagon ever since trying a martini made with Tangueray. The taste of vodka gets more and more subtle with quality, so I prefer really good vodka straight or plain on the rocks.

Go to Top of Page

cactusmush

21 Posts

Posted - 03/13/2007 :  10:40:54   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send cactusmush a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by pleco

quote:
Originally posted by cactusmush

Vodka Martini is better!

The Queen Mum did not live to be 101 years old drinking Vodka. Those listed herbs and essences engraved on the side of the Bombay Saffire bottle are there for a rational reason. The martini olive is for your heart.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic   
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.78 seconds.