Our Skeptic Forums
 General Skepticism
 Paranormal in the 70's versus now
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

cactusmush

21 Posts

Posted - 03/12/2007 :  18:19:51  Show Profile Send cactusmush a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I would like to discuss the differences in amount of media time the paranormal gets now versus the 70's. I broach the topic as some of our student age skeptic brothers and sisters may not realize how accommodating the media was to the paranormal in the 70's.

To me the decade of the 70's was the decade of:

1. Pyramid power
2. The Bermuda Triangle
3. Biorhythms
4. Astrology
5. A greater number of cults
6. Reincarnation
7. TM
8. Bed bouncing levitation
9. Ouija boards
10. Mood rings
11. A tremendous body of UFO documentaries on TV
12. Ghost, Amityville horror obsessions.

At least this is what I recall.

Of the above I find little contemporary media reference to items 1-3, 6,8,9,10. While not one of the above items is fully extinct, certainly some of them have been all but extinguished.

Could it me that Skeptical effort through the 80's until now succeeded in slaying some of these paranormal fads? Or is it the case that the culture and media of the 70's was more fertile to paranormal phenomenon than now?

Of the above I list the paranormal beliefs that seem to persist in strength:

4. Astrology persists in the newspapers. However, in the 70's asking "what's your sign?", came shortly after "what's your name?"

5. Cults: Jonestown shocked us all but decades on we had Waco and Heavens Gate.

11/12. References to UFO's seem to persist somewhat. More so are persistent references to ghost, spirit and Psychic phenomenon in contemporary media.

Comments anyone?

Hawks
SFN Regular

Canada
1383 Posts

Posted - 03/12/2007 :  19:10:38   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Hawks's Homepage Send Hawks a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The most I remember of "paranormal" from the 70's was the rather frequent antics of Uri Geller. And the Bermuda Triangle, I suppose. Oh, oh, oh. Biorythms, that reminds me. A friend of mine sat down in front of his vic-20 and entered the code (from a magazine as you did in those days) for a program that output some biorythms (this was early 80's, btw). Ah, memories...

I'm afraid I can't add much more. I was born in '69 and was more interested in "KISS" and "the Runaways" in the 70's.

METHINKS IT IS LIKE A WEASEL
It's a small, off-duty czechoslovakian traffic warden!
Go to Top of Page

Kil
Evil Skeptic

USA
13476 Posts

Posted - 03/12/2007 :  22:07:02   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Kil's Homepage  Send Kil an AOL message  Send Kil a Yahoo! Message Send Kil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The New Age is with us. And growing. So in a way many of the things on your list have been institutionalized. They bring us the flavor of the week. This week it's “The Secret.” And they promote a boatload of alternative medicines, which is a multi billion dollar industry all by itself.

Then there is Sylvia Browne, John Edwards and their kind getting plenty of media exposure.

Fox stepped up to the plate with their moon hoax documentary and also the alien autopsy and the alien autopsy hoax to double their use of some silly “exclusive” footage.

Frankly, there is no shortage of baloney going on now. And worse, much of it has made its way into the popular culture by way of the New Age, credulous “news” reporting and popular books by people like Andrew Weil…

Uncertainty may make you uncomfortable. Certainty makes you ridiculous.

Why not question something for a change?

Genetic Literacy Project
Go to Top of Page

cactusmush

21 Posts

Posted - 03/13/2007 :  04:53:50   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send cactusmush a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kil

The New Age is with us. And growing. So in a way many of the things on your list have been institutionalized. They bring us the flavor of the week. This week it's “The Secret.” And they promote a boatload of alternative medicines, which is a multi billion dollar industry all by itself.

Then there is Sylvia Browne, John Edwards and their kind getting plenty of media exposure.

Fox stepped up to the plate with their moon hoax documentary and also the alien autopsy and the alien autopsy hoax to double their use of some silly “exclusive” footage.

Frankly, there is no shortage of baloney going on now. And worse, much of it has made its way into the popular culture by way of the New Age, credulous “news” reporting and popular books by people like Andrew Weil…

Good point Kil. It is admittedly difficult to quantify but do you think that the "amount" of TV media exposure sympathetic to the paranormal has trended up, down or static? Do you think the diversity (if you will) of various forms of the paranormal has condensed, at least in the TV media? The big ones remain (UFO's, Ghosts, Psychic powers, Astrology), but my interpretation is that the variety of paranormal nonsense, as portrayed by the main stream media, has consolodated.

Obviously I am a skeptic and I discount the popular Paranormal fads no less than the fringe or fad ones. Today, I see no equivilant consumer popularity for some of the sillier commercial products we saw in the 70's. I mean, as kids many of us wore mood rings. For a gift I once recieved a pyramid frame and was encouraged to place a dull razor within it (which after a few months would be sharp again)? These things were sold in regular stores.

Comments anyone?

oh...and also the razor remained dull.

Go to Top of Page

Original_Intent
SFN Regular

USA
609 Posts

Posted - 03/13/2007 :  05:00:09   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Original_Intent a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by cactusmush

I would like to discuss the differences in amount of media time the paranormal gets now versus the 70's. I broach the topic as some of our student age skeptic brothers and sisters may not realize how accommodating the media was to the paranormal in the 70's.

To me the decade of the 70's was the decade of:

1. Pyramid power
2. The Bermuda Triangle
3. Biorhythms
4. Astrology
5. A greater number of cults
6. Reincarnation
7. TM
8. Bed bouncing levitation
9. Ouija boards
10. Mood rings
11. A tremendous body of UFO documentaries on TV
12. Ghost, Amityville horror obsessions.

At least this is what I recall.

Of the above I find little contemporary media reference to items 1-3, 6,8,9,10. While not one of the above items is fully extinct, certainly some of them have been all but extinguished.

Could it me that Skeptical effort through the 80's until now succeeded in slaying some of these paranormal fads? Or is it the case that the culture and media of the 70's was more fertile to paranormal phenomenon than now?

Of the above I list the paranormal beliefs that seem to persist in strength:

4. Astrology persists in the newspapers. However, in the 70's asking "what's your sign?", came shortly after "what's your name?"

5. Cults: Jonestown shocked us all but decades on we had Waco and Heavens Gate.

11/12. References to UFO's seem to persist somewhat. More so are persistent references to ghost, spirit and Psychic phenomenon in contemporary media.

Comments anyone?

You forgot he magic 8 ball.....

My un-educated guess is loss of intrest due to a shift in culture. Athough skepticism will change a few lives, I am skeptical of the power of it to shift a culture.....

Peace
Joe
Go to Top of Page

Gorgo
SFN Die Hard

USA
5310 Posts

Posted - 03/13/2007 :  06:12:32   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Gorgo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It seems that channeling was bigger in the 70's, wasn't it? I know that Ramtha and Shirley Maclaine's friend what's-his-name- are still around, but it seems like more people were interested in the 60's, 70's and 80's.

I was hooked on the Jane Robert's "Seth Material" books, but didn't discover them until the early 80's.

I know the rent is in arrears
The dog has not been fed in years
It's even worse than it appears
But it's alright-
Jerry Garcia
Robert Hunter

Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 03/13/2007 :  06:27:53   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
You forgot he magic 8 ball.....

My un-educated guess is loss of intrest due to a shift in culture. Athough skepticism will change a few lives, I am skeptical of the power of it to shift a culture.....

Peace
Joe

Magic doesn't count. It's not from the '70s, but was brought forth in 1946. Besides, it is far more reliable than all other forms of divination, sacred or profane. Let us venerate the wondrous Ball, not bash it....

I think that if this is looked at statistically, beliefs in hoo-hah are probably about the same as they've always been, culture deciding which hoos or hahs are to be believed.

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

Edited by - filthy on 03/13/2007 06:29:19
Go to Top of Page

Gorgo
SFN Die Hard

USA
5310 Posts

Posted - 03/13/2007 :  07:25:30   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Gorgo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It is decidedly so.

But it's alright-
Jerry Garcia
Robert Hunter

Go to Top of Page

Gorgo
SFN Die Hard

USA
5310 Posts

Posted - 03/13/2007 :  07:59:00   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Gorgo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Kevin Ryerson was the name of Shirley Maclaine's channel friend.

But it's alright-
Jerry Garcia
Robert Hunter

Go to Top of Page

cactusmush

21 Posts

Posted - 03/13/2007 :  09:14:35   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send cactusmush a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ahhh channeling and magic 8-ball. I forgot.

I destinctly remember watching a Tonight Show (w.Johnny Carson) in the 70's where some psychic came on and told the TV audience that if you had one of those glass domed table clocks with the exposed clock-work...that he would make that clock in your home stop right then and now. The tactic being that the 95% of the TV audience which did not have a domed clock and would be unable to verify. The 5% that did have the domed clock - a good % of those clocks would already be out of order or unwound - another small % would be unaccessible in the room of someone who was sleeping - and several other odd conditions - leaving a tiny sample of people to verify his bogus claim.

Guess what? We had a functioning domed clock and all of his other odd conditions were met and the thing kept on ticking away - but we kids were SO disappointed - we stared at the functioning clock for minutes hoping the thing would stop.
Go to Top of Page

Gorgo
SFN Die Hard

USA
5310 Posts

Posted - 03/13/2007 :  09:30:47   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Gorgo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
But is it still running? Sounds like Uri Geller.

But it's alright-
Jerry Garcia
Robert Hunter

Go to Top of Page

furshur
SFN Regular

USA
1536 Posts

Posted - 03/13/2007 :  10:22:08   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send furshur a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Kevin Ryerson will do a 90 minute reading over the phone for only $275. According the the site the first half of the phone conversation is with Kevin and the second half is the reading.

So you tell Kevin about yourself for 45 min and then he repeats it back to you for 45 minutes and you give him $275.

Neat!

If I knew then what I know now then I would know more now than I know.
Go to Top of Page

pleco
SFN Addict

USA
2998 Posts

Posted - 03/13/2007 :  10:25:11   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit pleco's Homepage Send pleco a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by furshur

Kevin Ryerson will do a 90 minute reading over the phone for only $275. According the the site the first half of the phone conversation is with Kevin and the second half is the reading.

So you tell Kevin about yourself for 45 min and then he repeats it back to you for 45 minutes and you give him $275.

Neat!

What a bargain!

by Filthy
The neo-con methane machine will soon be running at full fart.
Go to Top of Page

Gorgo
SFN Die Hard

USA
5310 Posts

Posted - 03/13/2007 :  10:28:49   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Gorgo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I had forgotten I actually saw Kevin Ryerson a few yaers ago at a Whole Life Expo in Columbus OH. He and some other guy were touting the idea that several U.S. "founding fathers" were reincarnated and something big was going to happen because of it.

http://www.johnadams.net/

But it's alright-
Jerry Garcia
Robert Hunter

Go to Top of Page

Carmichael

5 Posts

Posted - 03/16/2007 :  12:16:30   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Carmichael a Private Message  Reply with Quote
For my money, the difference between the exposure in the 1970's (and I unfortunately remember it well) to now is the influx of religion...conservative, fundamentalist religion which has a) no humor and b) no inquisitive mind.

And if I can make myself strong, then I will be somebody.
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 03/16/2007 :  14:13:52   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Welcome to SFN, Carmachael!

I agree. I think that's the main difference. The fundies have had all this time to consolidate many of the '70s magical thinkers into their own, more organized brand of bunkum.

Biology is just physics that has begun to smell bad.” —HalfMooner
Here's a link to Moonscape News, and one to its Archive.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.12 seconds.