Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 6

marfknox
SFN Die Hard

USA
3739 Posts

Posted - 03/16/2007 :  18:50:55   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit marfknox's Homepage  Send marfknox an AOL message Send marfknox a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Halfmooner wrote:
quote:
Any religious person who is doing good things could do it better if unencumbered by bullshit.
The more I read this sentence over, the more I disagree with it. There really is a time and place for good bullshit.

"Too much certainty and clarity could lead to cruel intolerance" -Karen Armstrong

Check out my art store: http://www.marfknox.etsy.com

Go to Top of Page

H. Humbert
SFN Die Hard

USA
4574 Posts

Posted - 03/16/2007 :  20:05:26   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send H. Humbert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, Marf, if the ideas behind religion are false, then any comfort religion brings is false comfort. I think most of us realize that the only reason someone would purposely keep their ideas on religion vague is so they can't ever be proven wrong. Doubts sail through their faith like arrows though fog. If there's nothing substantial there, then there's nothing to hit.

What's the harm of faith like that? Well, it encourages cowardice, in my opinion, and wrongly teaches people that any gap in human knowledge may be filled in with whatever crazy idea one finds comforting. It implies that reality needn't be accepted on its own terms, that it's fine to blur the lines between fact and fiction wherever the lights are dim enough to allow it. And it teaches that the happiness of individuals is more important than maintaining a clear, truthful, collective understanding of our World to the best of our abilities.

But my guess is that you would find these objections mere abstractions and remain unswayed.

"A man is his own easiest dupe, for what he wishes to be true he generally believes to be true." --Demosthenes

"The first principle is that you must not fool yourself - and you are the easiest person to fool." --Richard P. Feynman

"Face facts with dignity." --found inside a fortune cookie
Edited by - H. Humbert on 03/16/2007 20:16:32
Go to Top of Page

Gorgo
SFN Die Hard

USA
5310 Posts

Posted - 03/16/2007 :  23:56:45   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Gorgo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by H. Humbert

Well, Marf, if the ideas behind religion are false, then any comfort religion brings is false comfort. I think most of us realize that the only reason someone would purposely keep their ideas on religion vague is so they can't ever be proven wrong. Doubts sail through their faith like arrows though fog. If there's nothing substantial there, then there's nothing to hit.

What's the harm of faith like that? Well, it encourages cowardice, in my opinion, and wrongly teaches people that any gap in human knowledge may be filled in with whatever crazy idea one finds comforting. It implies that reality needn't be accepted on its own terms, that it's fine to blur the lines between fact and fiction wherever the lights are dim enough to allow it. And it teaches that the happiness of individuals is more important than maintaining a clear, truthful, collective understanding of our World to the best of our abilities.

But my guess is that you would find these objections mere abstractions and remain unswayed.

Wow. That's good.

I know the rent is in arrears
The dog has not been fed in years
It's even worse than it appears
But it's alright-
Jerry Garcia
Robert Hunter

Go to Top of Page

Gorgo
SFN Die Hard

USA
5310 Posts

Posted - 03/17/2007 :  00:00:26   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Gorgo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
You and I just have different ways of looking at this issue.

That's certainly allowed. I had to read no one's mind to come to this (tentative)conclusion. All I had to do was ask a lot of questions. It's easy to do. Everyone, when questions are allowed, has told me as the Rabbi did why they don't like themselves very much. Again, that is not to say that we don't all have those kinds of beliefs. Just to say that religion (that is superstition) makes those kinds of beliefs sacred.

But it's alright-
Jerry Garcia
Robert Hunter

Go to Top of Page

Gorgo
SFN Die Hard

USA
5310 Posts

Posted - 03/17/2007 :  00:27:43   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Gorgo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
I drink because I enjoy it.

And I'm not knocking anyone for drinking or smoking. I used to smoke and I still have an occasional drink. Some people only smoke or drink a little, and if they do, there is no harm. Even then, maybe some of us do it because we think we're sophisticated if we drink a certain drink in a certain way, or look good with a cigar or cigarette.

quote:
Self medicating is often better than no medicating. People who self medicate with alcohol or other drugs often do so because they don't have the health insurance or wherewithal to obtain psych meds which might be more helpful. Of course no psych meds are cures. So my point was that often self medicating is a good idea because at least it is doing something about a real problem.

Really? Are there studies to back that up? How much drinking to attempt to solve a problem that drinking doesn't really solve is a good idea? Drinking enough to impair judgement? Drinking enough to make one dangerous on the roads?

But it's alright-
Jerry Garcia
Robert Hunter

Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 03/17/2007 :  02:34:53   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by marfknox

Halfmooner wrote:
quote:
Any religious person who is doing good things could do it better if unencumbered by bullshit.
The more I read this sentence over, the more I disagree with it. There really is a time and place for good bullshit.

"Good bullshit"? Yeah, it's called "The Onion," maybe even "Moonscape News," often Penn & Teller's "Bullshit" is good. But people ordering their entire lives by bullshit is, well, bullshit. So bullshit on that bullshit.

That's as dumb a statement of bullshit as I've read recently. I'm flabbergasted, I am.

Biology is just physics that has begun to smell bad.” —HalfMooner
Here's a link to Moonscape News, and one to its Archive.
Edited by - HalfMooner on 03/17/2007 02:35:23
Go to Top of Page

marfknox
SFN Die Hard

USA
3739 Posts

Posted - 03/17/2007 :  06:27:41   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit marfknox's Homepage  Send marfknox an AOL message Send marfknox a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Humbert wrote:
quote:
You have guessed correctly. I do not like absolutes, and you are making absolute claims. If there was no practical benefit to the occasional self delusion, humans
in general would not have evolved such a strong predisposition for it. And while many of those practical purposes might be gone in modern day society, to say they are all gone is a bit naive and premature IMHO. Again, I respect your point of view. Not sure if you respect mine, but I'll live if you don't.

In response to Gorgo on self medicating, I invite you to read about self medicating on Wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Self-medicating I also invite you to read about the life and death of Peter McWilliams, an author with AIDS who learned to treat his disease with cannabis, then pissed off the authorities with his writings, got caught for growing his own cannabis, and then died while choking on his own vomit while awaiting trial because he was restricted from using the cannabis that had been eliminating the vommiting.

Halfmooner wrote:
quote:
That's as dumb a statement of bullshit as I've read recently. I'm flabbergasted, I am.
Well, gee, Half, apparently your threshhold for what is dumb must be pretty damn low, considering that I haven't made any false or irrational claims myself. I've simply argued that in certain circumstances the practical outcome of an individual deluding themselves in a particular way might be less harmful than the practical outcome of that individual completely facing the truth. I fail to see why this opinion is so dumb.

I've discussed this topic before and brought up the example of the movie "Jacob the Liar", where a Jewish ghetto is being persecuted by Nazis. People in the ghetto start committing suicide because they are facing up to the truth of their most likely and unfortunate fate. In order to stop his friend from committing suicide, Jacob lies and says he has a radio and that the Allies are winning the war and that help is on the way. This false news spreads, and spreads what Humbert would call "false comfort". But it the film, that false comfort stops many from committing suicide and greatly improves their quality of life as they wait for things to actually get better. Even if they never get saved, the hope brought by this lie allows them to enjoy life a little more while they are still alive. Personally, I do not find this kind of scenario so hard to imagine in real life.

To frame my argument in a way that is especially derogatory toward religious people (perhaps that will prevent people here from calling my opinion "dumb"), the comedian Janeane Garafalo once said: "It's human nature to need a religious crutch, and I don't begrudge anyone that. I just don't need one."

"Too much certainty and clarity could lead to cruel intolerance" -Karen Armstrong

Edited by - marfknox on 03/17/2007 06:31:32
Go to Top of Page

Gorgo
SFN Die Hard

USA
5310 Posts

Posted - 03/17/2007 :  08:22:14   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Gorgo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
No one "needs" cigarettes. No one "needs" supersition. They "need" to tell themselves that they do.

Let me tell you the story of the person that used homeopathy and thought they were healed, and who prayed and thought they were healed.

But it's alright-
Jerry Garcia
Robert Hunter

Go to Top of Page

R.Wreck
SFN Regular

USA
1191 Posts

Posted - 03/17/2007 :  10:03:35   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send R.Wreck a Private Message  Reply with Quote
As Mooner and HH have said, bullshit is bullshit, and believing it is, well, bullshit. Moderate, or liberal, or whatever you want to call them believers are contributing to the harm done by lunatic religiosity by helping to create a culture where the belief in bullshit is acceptable. When cancers like Pat Robertson and Jerry Falwell spew their latest hate-filled, bigotted bilge, does society treat it like the garbage that it is? The only proper response to assholes like Pat and Jerry is either to completely ignore them, or to respond with derisive laughter at their utter inanity. But, no, these jamokes are treated like they have something valuable to add to society, and the majority of the "liberal" believers won't call them on it. Why? Because their putrid pronouncements are based, at the core, on the same line of bullshit the moderate believers have swallowed. To fully repudiate these blatherskites (thanks for that word, by the way, filthy) you need to point out that the foundation of their "philosophy" is BULLSHIT. But it's the same bullshit as the moderates believe, and it would be uncomfortable to challenge it, so it gets a free pass.

Jakob the Liar was a movie. In real news here on planet Earth, we have seen the real harm done to people who believe in bullshit. We have seen Jim Jones give a whole new connotation to Kool-aid, taking out hundreds of believers with him, including 276 kids. We had Marshall Applewhite lead his band of bullshit believers out of their earthly containers hoping for a spaceship ride. And who could forget David Koresh and his bullshit and the resultant deaths of 78 people, 25 of whom were children. Maybe if people weren't conditioned from birth to believe in bronze age myths and the plausibility of "holy men" speaking with dieties, they would be much less succeptible to falling victim (and dragging their innocent kids with them) to those who proclaim themselves as god's special messenger.

As for the comfort derived from believing in bullshit, I believe Edwin Teale said it best: "It is morally as bad not to care whether a thing is true or not, so long as it makes you feel good, as it is not to care how you got your money as long as you have got it."

The foundation of morality is to . . . give up pretending to believe that for which there is no evidence, and repeating unintelligible propositions about things beyond the possibliities of knowledge.
T. H. Huxley

The Cattle Prod of Enlightened Compassion
Go to Top of Page

Gorgo
SFN Die Hard

USA
5310 Posts

Posted - 03/17/2007 :  12:01:17   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Gorgo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Oh, another thing Martha. You had said that self-medicating is a good idea, and now I wonder if you meant to say (or I should have known what you meant) that it often seems to be someone's last resort, or so it seems to them. Other than some over the counter medicines, I doubt that it's ever a good idea to self-medicate, and even with them it ought not to be done to excess.

You may be correct about medical marijuana, but I think you'll agree that, again, this is talking about what seems to be a last resort rather than a "good idea."

But it's alright-
Jerry Garcia
Robert Hunter

Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 03/17/2007 :  16:09:56   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Another thing occured to me: It seems to me that for an atheist to accept unreason in others, other people whose weaknesses "require" that they have nonsensical beliefs in order to get through their lives, is both arrogant and dangerous.

It's arrogant because it assumes that these people, as a class, are lesser intellects who are essentially incapable of reason -- unlike oneself. Certainly many of them may in the end prove to be incapable of critical reasoning, but the assumption that, as a class, they cannot be taught to think critically is arrogant and simply wrong.

And it's dangerous because by accepting their magical thinking without argument, we would abandon them to the whole spectrum of bullshit that makes up religion. They would be left intellectually weaponless among the more predatory True Believers within that spectrum. Indeed, if we are making critical reasoning points to anyone, it should be to these moderates, first and foremost, so that they are not either won over or neutralized by the fundies. These moderates are the "swing" demographic in a very serious struggle. Polite silence would be surrender.

Edited by - HalfMooner on 03/17/2007 21:23:13
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26021 Posts

Posted - 03/17/2007 :  18:39:54   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

If there was no practical benefit to the occasional self delusion, humans in general would not have evolved such a strong predisposition for it.
The way things are is not necessarily the way things ought to be. Quite a large portion of skepticism is involved with getting ourselves to see beyond what "instinct" tells us.
quote:
And while many of those practical purposes might be gone in modern day society, to say they are all gone is a bit naive and premature IMHO.
Perhaps on that point, you're correct. But you argued that religion doesn't make people do more or fewer good (or bad) things than a person would do without religion, so you were arguing that for all pratical purposes, religion is worthless.

I'll go so far as to submit that when people say that without promise of an afterlife, life is "hopeless," what they're actually indicating is clinical depression, and they're "self-medicating" with God. But religion is just masking the symptoms, much like cocaine might. I'd much prefer that such people get treated for their depression, because self-medication isn't reliable, and can indeed do harm.

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Why not question something for a change?
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.
Go to Top of Page

marfknox
SFN Die Hard

USA
3739 Posts

Posted - 03/18/2007 :  01:29:04   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit marfknox's Homepage  Send marfknox an AOL message Send marfknox a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Gorgo wrote:
quote:
No one "needs" cigarettes. No one "needs" supersition. They "need" to tell themselves that they do.
I again find this sort of statement to be a muddling of the issue with vague abstractions. What does it mean to need something? I don't need physical therapy for my plantar faciitus in any general sense. But I do need it to alleviate certain symptoms of pain. I don't need to drink alcohol recreationally in any general sense. But I do need it to be tipsy. I don't need my husband in any general sense. But I do need him to be in love with him.

R. Wreck wrote:
quote:
Moderate, or liberal, or whatever you want to call them believers are contributing to the harm done by lunatic religiosity by helping to create a culture where the belief in bullshit is acceptable. When cancers like Pat Robertson and Jerry Falwell spew their latest hate-filled, bigotted bilge, does society treat it like the garbage that it is?
Actually yes, a huge proportion of American society does regard the rantings of the likes of Pat Robertson and Jerry Falwell to be garbage. They and their ilk have been viciously criticized left and right for years.
quote:
and the majority of the "liberal" believers won't call them on it.
Talk about bullshit! Do you hang out with active Democrats or other types of liberals? They are very critical of and disgusted by Falwell and Robertson, as well as the Religious Right. From wikipedia's entry on the US Democratic Party http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Democratic_Party_%28United_States%29#Ideology_and_voter_base:
quote:
In recent decades, the party advocates civil liberties, social freedoms, equal rights, equal opportunity, fiscal responsibility, and a free enterprise system tempered by government intervention (what economists call a mixed economy). The party believes that government should play a role in alleviating poverty and social injustice, even if that means a larger role for government and progressive taxation to pay for social services.
Don't give me this crap about liberals not countering the Religious Right when liberals stand up all the time for abortion rights, gay marriage or the legal equivalent of it, and the protection of religious minorities.

Look, you clearly see the problem as with faith itself. I see the problem as with the things that directly cause harm, such as bigotry against gays, sexism, racism, the denial of plain and overwhelming scientific evidence, or the mingling of church and state. Until I see evidence that faith itself is directly the cause of the harms often associated with various aspects of religion, I refuse to blame all faithful people by their association.

quote:
In real news here on planet Earth, we have seen the real harm done to people who believe in bullshit.
Did I ever deny that? No. But that is not proof that faith itself is always harmful. The vast majority of people who have various kinds of faith are nothing like Jim Jones, Marshall Applewhite, David Koresh, or their followers. This line of reaso

Edited by - marfknox on 03/18/2007 01:30:37
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 03/18/2007 :  02:48:19   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Halfmooner wrote”
quote:
Another thing occured to me: It seems to me that for an atheist to accept unreason in others, other people whose weaknesses "require" that they have nonsensical beliefs in order to get through their lives, is both arrogant and dangerous.
I knew quoting Garafalo would come back and bite me in the ass. Look, I used that quote in order to try to get my general point across in another way since it seemed that it was being misunderstood. I do not hold these opinions with the same view that Garafalo implies with her “crutch” metaphor. The crutch metaphor, and the drug metaphor, both imply that religious people are psychologically sick and that religious belief is treatment for that sickness. But I do not think of it that way at all. I think that religious belief evolved in the human animal for very practical reasons (and evolutionary psychology is really starting to back up that conclusion) and that many of those reasons still exist. I don't think that religious belief can be helped in many individuals, but I also do not view religious belief in-of-itself to be any kind of deficiency. For all practical purposes, religious people can be just as skeptical and rational as atheists. In no way do I see religious folks as “lesser intellects” to atheists because I don't Rationalism as the end-all, be-all of intellect and wisdom. There are many kinds of intelligence, and to judge the intellect of someone not only by one kind of intelligence, but on one set of questions (questions that often don't even have a baring on real life!) is ridiculous. You are falsely assuming I make this judgement. And since I am a practical person, I got no beef with faith itself at all and I think it wastes a lot of time and energy to be critical of faith itself at least in the political arena. (I do think it is enjoyable and important to be critical of it in the area of civil philosophical debate among the minority of people who are smart enough and interested enough to take part, but that is an intellectual luxury IMO.)

I've got a big beef with faith. But I'll accept your word that you aren't being arrogant toward the religious, as I'd implied.

So you'll debate the merits of magical thinking not with the moderately religious in general, but only with a handful of people who enjoy such debates? Did I get that right? If I did understand that, I must say my own approach is different. I think it's vital to speak out against the whole of this ancient evil called religion. I think of your approach, as I (mis?)understand it, as a kind of atheistic parlour game, played only with willing players, while outside this polite group crimes are being committed in the name of God. You're welcome to it, but it's not for me.

Those I refer to as the moderate religious are far more likely to be amenable to reason than the True Believing fundies. If we don't talk to these people in the middle, we may be looking at more decades of growing theocracy.
quote:

quote:
And it's dangerous because by accepting their magical thinking without argument, we would abandon them to the whole spectrum of bullshit that makes up religion. They would be left intellectually weaponless among the more predatory True Believers within that spectrum.

Edited by - HalfMooner on 03/18/2007 02:51:25
Go to Top of Page

Gorgo
SFN Die Hard

USA
5310 Posts

Posted - 03/18/2007 :  04:50:14   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Gorgo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Marf said above:

quote:
I never said it was always or even mostly a good idea. I merely implied that sometimes it is a good idea. That was my point. And apparently you agree with me. (Now apply this to the whole religious faith thing.)

Marf said:

http://www.skepticfriends.org/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=7733&whichpage=3#114885
quote:
Self medicating is often better than no medicating. People who self medicate with alcohol or other drugs often do so because they don't have the health insurance or wherewithal to obtain psych meds which might be more helpful. Of course no psych meds are cures. So my point was that often self medicating is a good idea because at least it is doing something about a real problem.

I said

quote:
Other than some over the counter medicines, I doubt that it's ever a good idea to self-medicate, and even with them it ought not to be done to excess.

You may be correct about medical marijuana, but I think you'll agree that, again, this is talking about what seems to be a last resort rather than a "good idea."

I didn't say you said it was always a good idea. You seemed to be saying that self-medicating with alcohol and other licit and illicit drugs without benefit of doctors was a good idea. I can't say that it ever is, and see little evidence to the contrary.

But it's alright-
Jerry Garcia
Robert Hunter

Edited by - Gorgo on 03/18/2007 04:56:50
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 6 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.48 seconds.