Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Chippewa
SFN Regular

USA
1496 Posts

Posted - 03/29/2007 :  13:51:20   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Chippewa's Homepage Send Chippewa a Private Message  Reply with Quote
T Rex and Coconuts? Well yes. As proof, here's a actual prehistoric fossil tree ring recording of a T Rex singing!
Go to Top of Page

Hawks
SFN Regular

Canada
1383 Posts

Posted - 03/29/2007 :  14:00:15   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Hawks's Homepage Send Hawks a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
T-Rex had such big teeth, the museum explains, so it could open coconuts.

LOL! And the walrus has such big teeth, I explain, so it can open canned tomatoes.

METHINKS IT IS LIKE A WEASEL
It's a small, off-duty czechoslovakian traffic warden!
Go to Top of Page

Trish
SFN Addict

USA
2102 Posts

Posted - 03/29/2007 :  14:37:55   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Trish a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by pleco

I posit that coconuts, before The Fall, did not have a hard shell and were easy for Adam and Eve to eat. After they sinned, coconuts acquired the hard shell so it would be very difficult for humans to get at the good stuff.

The shell is easy to get through compared to the husk. That takes all day, well about four hours with a good knife. And it's best if two or three people take turns. After the husk is gone getting inside is a matter of knocking a hole in the think or smashing it between rocks if you don't mind losing the milk.

...no one has ever found a 4.5 billion year old stone artifact (at the right geological stratum) with the words "Made by God."
No Sense of Obligation by Matt Young

"Say what you will about the sweet miracle of unquestioning faith. I consider the capacity for it terrifying and vile!"
Mother Night by Kurt Vonnegut, Jr.

They (Women Marines) don't have a nickname, and they don't need one. They get their basic training in a Marine atmosphere, at a Marine Post. They inherit the traditions of the Marines. They are Marines.
LtGen Thomas Holcomb, USMC
Commandant of the Marine Corps, 1943
Go to Top of Page

pleco
SFN Addict

USA
2998 Posts

Posted - 03/29/2007 :  15:59:36   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit pleco's Homepage Send pleco a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Trish

quote:

I posit that coconuts, before The Fall, did not have a hard shell and were easy for Adam and Eve to eat. After they sinned, coconuts acquired the hard shell so it would be very difficult for humans to get at the good stuff.

The shell is easy to get through compared to the husk. That takes all day, well about four hours with a good knife. And it's best if two or three people take turns. After the husk is gone getting inside is a matter of knocking a hole in the think or smashing it between rocks if you don't mind losing the milk.

Funny you mention that...I was in Hawai'i last year and went to the Polynesian Cultural Center - the one hosted by the Mormon church.(fortunately I didn't detect much attempts at conversion of the tourists). They have representatives from all the major Polynesian islands there.

Anyway, the Samoans put on a demonstration where they completely de-shell and de-husk a coconut in less than a minute - without losing the milk. (If you go to the link above, the guy that did it is on the first page at the top with the spear and the tongue.)

It is rather impressive.

by Filthy
The neo-con methane machine will soon be running at full fart.
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 03/29/2007 :  17:35:43   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

To be honest, don't most museums have kid-targeted sections?

Oh. Uh. Yeah.

Biology is just physics that has begun to smell bad.” —HalfMooner
Here's a link to Moonscape News, and one to its Archive.
Go to Top of Page

R.Wreck
SFN Regular

USA
1191 Posts

Posted - 03/30/2007 :  14:47:19   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send R.Wreck a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Except that the intent of the kid-targetted sections of most museums is to educate, not indoctrinate; to present facts and theories, not fantasies and rationalizations.

The foundation of morality is to . . . give up pretending to believe that for which there is no evidence, and repeating unintelligible propositions about things beyond the possibliities of knowledge.
T. H. Huxley

The Cattle Prod of Enlightened Compassion
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 03/30/2007 :  15:13:00   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by R.Wreck

quote:

Except that the intent of the kid-targetted sections of most museums is to educate, not indoctrinate; to present facts and theories, not fantasies and rationalizations.

But ain't them sciency museums really just cathedrals for Darwin worship?

Biology is just physics that has begun to smell bad.” —HalfMooner
Here's a link to Moonscape News, and one to its Archive.
Edited by - HalfMooner on 03/30/2007 15:13:25
Go to Top of Page

R.Wreck
SFN Regular

USA
1191 Posts

Posted - 03/30/2007 :  15:16:28   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send R.Wreck a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Halfmooner:

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

But ain't them sciency museums really just cathedrals for Darwin worship?

Keep it quiet, 'Mooner, you'll scare away the sheep before we gets to sacrifice 'em.

The foundation of morality is to . . . give up pretending to believe that for which there is no evidence, and repeating unintelligible propositions about things beyond the possibliities of knowledge.
T. H. Huxley

The Cattle Prod of Enlightened Compassion
Go to Top of Page

Hawks
SFN Regular

Canada
1383 Posts

Posted - 04/17/2007 :  21:01:12   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Hawks's Homepage Send Hawks a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thought I'd resurrect this thread. In a BBC news article (April 14th, 2007), Ken Ham says:
quote:
Most geologists would say humans and dinosaurs were separated by more than 60 million years. And those dinosaurs have very sharp teeth!

"So do bears", says Ken, "but they eat nuts and berries! Remember, before the sin of Adam, the world was perfect. All creatures were vegetarian." One of the dinosaurs lets out a rather contradictory roar.

Wow, might Ken be on to something. Bears do have fangs, after all. However, even the most rudimentary search for information of bears' teeth will dispell any notions that Ken is actually sane. From Wikipedia:

quote:
Depending on the species, bears can have 32 to 42 teeth. Bear teeth are not specialized for killing their prey like those of cats. Normal canine teeth in a carnivore are generally large, pointed and used for killing prey, while bears' canine teeth are relatively small and typically used in defense or as tools. Bears' molar teeth are broad, flat and are used to shred and grind plant food into small digestible pieces.

Look at any reconstructed T. rex and you will find that NONE it's teeth are... (surprise, surprise) broad, flat and are usable to shred and grind plant food into small digestible pieces.

METHINKS IT IS LIKE A WEASEL
It's a small, off-duty czechoslovakian traffic warden!
Go to Top of Page

Valiant Dancer
Forum Goalie

USA
4826 Posts

Posted - 04/17/2007 :  21:15:28   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Valiant Dancer's Homepage Send Valiant Dancer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Are you suggestin' that coconuts migrate?

C'mon. It had to be said.

Cthulhu/Asmodeus when you're tired of voting for the lesser of two evils

Brother Cutlass of Reasoned Discussion
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 04/18/2007 :  03:53:55   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Valiant Dancer

quote:

Of course coconuts migrate. You can find them washed up on 'most any tropical beach along with mangrove shoots.

Bears will eat almost anything including other bear's cubs. But mostly they eat berries and shoots, fish, invertebrates such as grubs and beetles, small reptiles and rodents, along with whatever they can manage to scavenge. Grizzlies will attack full-grown elk and black bears have been known to attack wild hogs. They have even been known to graze.

Ham is, as usual, full of shit. How, I wonder, does such an obvious and known mendicant manage to keep any audience at all, let alone a congregation?

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

pleco
SFN Addict

USA
2998 Posts

Posted - 04/18/2007 :  04:58:35   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit pleco's Homepage Send pleco a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Valiant Dancer

quote:

No, they could be carried.

by Filthy
Go to Top of Page

pleco
SFN Addict

USA
2998 Posts

Posted - 04/18/2007 :  05:10:15   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit pleco's Homepage Send pleco a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

Of course, I agree. The point I think I was trying to make was that whether you present facts and theories or lies and fantasies doesn't matter to kids of a certain age.

My daughter, whose is now 5, wouldn't necessarily know a fact from a fantasy. For example, she asked me the other day how an earthquake happens. I gave her a very simplifies explanation, which she accepts. But the only reason she accepts is because of who I am. The funny thing is, is that her original explanation was that "Jesus caused them." (Her mother and I are divorced, so I get the customary visitation rights and therefore have limited control over what she is exposed to).

The only thing I can do, and what I hope that "real" museums can and should do, is give her accurate information and also give her the incentive and drive to find out for herself.

Therein lies the difference between most credible museums and these others. The fundy-museums will not encourage the kids to do their own research - they will instruct the kids to what is the truth and only the truth. Hopefully most of the kids, as they grow up, will see through this and break away, as I did. It is unfortunate, though, that the scars of a fundy-religious childhood still haunt me to this day.

by Filthy
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.11 seconds.