Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 04/11/2007 :  21:03:34  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The remarkable writer Kurt Vonnegut died today in New York City.

Vonnegut, known for such novels as Cat's Cradle, Slaughterhouse-Five, Mother Night, and The Sirens of Titan, died as the result of brain injuries sustained in a fall several weeks ago. Kurt was a Humanist, and served as the American Humanist Association's Honorary President, when he replaced Isaac Asimov. Vonnegut wrote with both humor and depth of feeling. He was a great skeptic, who will be sorely missed.

Kurt Vonnegut, 1922 to 2007

Biology is just physics that has begun to smell bad.” —HalfMooner
Here's a link to Moonscape News, and one to its Archive.

Edited by - HalfMooner on 04/11/2007 21:42:54

H. Humbert
SFN Die Hard

USA
4574 Posts

Posted - 04/11/2007 :  21:35:18   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send H. Humbert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
And so it goes.

"A man is his own easiest dupe, for what he wishes to be true he generally believes to be true." --Demosthenes

"The first principle is that you must not fool yourself - and you are the easiest person to fool." --Richard P. Feynman

"Face facts with dignity." --found inside a fortune cookie
Go to Top of Page

Trish
SFN Addict

USA
2102 Posts

Posted - 04/11/2007 :  21:36:40   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Trish a Private Message  Reply with Quote
See below

...no one has ever found a 4.5 billion year old stone artifact (at the right geological stratum) with the words "Made by God."
No Sense of Obligation by Matt Young

"Say what you will about the sweet miracle of unquestioning faith. I consider the capacity for it terrifying and vile!"
Mother Night by Kurt Vonnegut, Jr.

They (Women Marines) don't have a nickname, and they don't need one. They get their basic training in a Marine atmosphere, at a Marine Post. They inherit the traditions of the Marines. They are Marines.
LtGen Thomas Holcomb, USMC
Commandant of the Marine Corps, 1943
Go to Top of Page

Dude
SFN Die Hard

USA
6891 Posts

Posted - 04/11/2007 :  21:39:47   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Dude a Private Message  Reply with Quote
bummer.

Ignorance is preferable to error; and he is less remote from the truth who believes nothing, than he who believes what is wrong.
-- Thomas Jefferson

"god :: the last refuge of a man with no answers and no argument." - G. Carlin

Hope, n.
The handmaiden of desperation; the opiate of despair; the illegible signpost on the road to perdition. ~~ da filth
Go to Top of Page

Kil
Evil Skeptic

USA
13476 Posts

Posted - 04/11/2007 :  22:14:49   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Kil's Homepage  Send Kil an AOL message  Send Kil a Yahoo! Message Send Kil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I was going to write a long thing here, but decided against it. I stole my screen name from a character that Kurt Vonnegut made up, so you see, I am a fan of his.

“The worst thing that could possibly happen to anybody would be to not be used for anything by anybody. Thank you for using me, even though I didn't want to be used by anybody.” Kurt Vonnegut

You're welcome…

Uncertainty may make you uncomfortable. Certainty makes you ridiculous.

Why not question something for a change?

Genetic Literacy Project
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 04/12/2007 :  01:42:14   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
He came, he saw, he remarked, and now he's left us. There is a new hole in the world.

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

Hawks
SFN Regular

Canada
1383 Posts

Posted - 04/12/2007 :  01:58:11   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Hawks's Homepage Send Hawks a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Must admit that I know very little about him and that I've never read any of his books. Maybe I should head to the library...

METHINKS IT IS LIKE A WEASEL
It's a small, off-duty czechoslovakian traffic warden!
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 04/12/2007 :  02:33:48   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
He wrote well, and always surprisingly. He didn't bog down his storytelling with his iconoclastic views. Any of you who haven't read Vonnegut, should. You could do worse than start with Cat's Cradle, or Sirens of Titan. I'm sure that others may have differing views about where to begin the enjoyment of Kurt Vonnegut.

Biology is just physics that has begun to smell bad.” —HalfMooner
Here's a link to Moonscape News, and one to its Archive.
Go to Top of Page

Fripp
SFN Regular

USA
727 Posts

Posted - 04/12/2007 :  05:17:15   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Fripp a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I discovered Vonnegut through "Breakfast of Champions". His writing and observations in that book were like an atom bomb in my impressionable teenage head.

I recently re-discovered him via the same book. It still as fresh as it was way back when. That's my personal fave.

Slowly, the icons of my youth are passing away. Kubrick, Vonnegut...

Kurt, you will be sorely missed.

"What the hell is an Aluminum Falcon?"

"Oh, I'm sorry. I thought my Dark Lord of the Sith could protect a small thermal exhaust port that's only 2-meters wide! That thing wasn't even fully paid off yet! You have any idea what this is going to do to my credit?!?!"

"What? Oh, oh, 'just rebuild it'? Oh, real [bleep]ing original. And who's gonna give me a loan, jackhole? You? You got an ATM on that torso LiteBrite?"
Go to Top of Page

TG
Skeptic Friend

USA
121 Posts

Posted - 04/12/2007 :  07:39:52   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send TG a Private Message  Reply with Quote
There's a comprehensive obit at http://www.latimes.com/
Go to Top of Page

emsby
Skeptic Friend

76 Posts

Posted - 04/12/2007 :  10:11:56   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send emsby a Private Message  Reply with Quote
He was my hero and an inspiration to me. A brilliant mind is gone. Farewell Kurt.

Tongue-tied and twisted, just an earthbound misfit, I.
Go to Top of Page

Siberia
SFN Addict

Brazil
2322 Posts

Posted - 04/12/2007 :  12:25:11   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Siberia's Homepage  Send Siberia an AOL message  Send Siberia a Yahoo! Message Send Siberia a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Aw, man... as Fil said, he came, he saw, he did and now he's gone - and we're left with his writing.

"Why are you afraid of something you're not even sure exists?"
- The Kovenant, Via Negativa

"People who don't like their beliefs being laughed at shouldn't have such funny beliefs."
-- unknown
Go to Top of Page

Chippewa
SFN Regular

USA
1496 Posts

Posted - 04/12/2007 :  12:32:16   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Chippewa's Homepage Send Chippewa a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Phil Plait ("The Bad Astronomer") wrote a nice tribute to Kurt Vonnegut here:
http://www.badastronomy.com/bablog/2007/04/11/so-it-goes-kurt-vonnegut-1922-2007/

Diversity, independence, innovation and imagination are progressive concepts ultimately alien to the conservative mind.

"TAX AND SPEND" IS GOOD! (TAX: Wealthy corporations who won't go poor even after taxes. SPEND: On public works programs, education, the environment, improvements.)
Go to Top of Page

H. Humbert
SFN Die Hard

USA
4574 Posts

Posted - 04/12/2007 :  12:41:29   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send H. Humbert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by emsby

He was my hero and an inspiration to me. A brilliant mind is gone. Farewell Kurt.

Welcome to the SFN, Emsby!

"A man is his own easiest dupe, for what he wishes to be true he generally believes to be true." --Demosthenes

"The first principle is that you must not fool yourself - and you are the easiest person to fool." --Richard P. Feynman

"Face facts with dignity." --found inside a fortune cookie
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 04/12/2007 :  13:00:07   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
From the Rude Pundit:
quote:
4/12/2007
Vonnegut Gone:
The one time I saw Kurt Vonnegut speak, it was an evening about writing, featuring John Updike and Vonnegut. He was already pushing 80, still verbally lively, but a bit subdued compared to the days of old. Still, there was one memorable, audience gasp-inducing moment, when Vonnegut was asked about writers growing older. Vonnegut said, and this is a paraphrase from a distant memory, "More writers need to be like Zelda Fitzgerald, who had the good sense to die in a fire in an insane asylum before she got old." A cruel statement, yes, but Vonnegut believed it. He didn't blithely toss off bon mots, but he said what he meant. He would talk about his own aging with the same bitter intensity.

A tale of blue soup and then:
quote:
Vonnegut was right,too , of course. We are lost in our haze of blue soup, electronically-mediated, information-controlled, politcally-spun honey-colored penumbrae. We've lost one of the only people who was willing to tell us so. There's precious, precious few left.

Let's leave with a remark from a commencement address Vonnegut gave in 1999 at Agnes Scott College. He distrusted technology and why not? What had technology done except destroy shit? "Don't try to make yourself an extended family out of ghosts on the Internet," he said. "Get yourself a Harley, and join Hell's Angels instead."

Excellent advice from hard-aquired wisdom. Ride free, Kurt.....

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

emsby
Skeptic Friend

76 Posts

Posted - 04/12/2007 :  13:36:33   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send emsby a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by H. Humbert

quote:
Originally posted by emsby

Welcome to the SFN, Emsby!

Thanks, Humbert! I like your name.

Tongue-tied and twisted, just an earthbound misfit, I.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.16 seconds.