Save Password
Forgot your Password?
Home | Forums | Active Topics | Active Polls | Register | FAQ | Contact Us  
  Connect: Chat | SFN Messenger | Buddy List | Members
Personalize: Profile | My Page | Forum Bookmarks  
 All Forums
 Our Skeptic Forums
 Creation/Evolution
 Tyrannosarus rex tasted like chicken....
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 04/12/2007 :  16:26:25  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
...., and I knew it all along. Mmmm, chicken -- BIG chicken!

The link between bird and dinosaur becomes more clear with DNA studies of the 68myo soft tissue discovered in a fossil T. rex bone by Mary Schweitzer.
quote:
Researchers Decode T Rex Genetic Material

Apr 12, 2:00 PM (ET)

By RANDOLPH E. SCHMID

WASHINGTON (AP) - Researchers have decoded genetic material from a 68 million-year-old Tyrannosaurus rex, an unprecedented step once thought impossible.

"The door just opens up to a whole avenue of research that involves anything extinct," said Matthew T. Carrano, curator of dinosaurs at the Smithsonian's National Museum of Natural History.

And, the new finding adds weight to the idea that today's birds are descendants of dinosaurs.

While dinosaur bones have long been studied, "it's always been assumed that preservation does not extend to the cellular or molecular level," said Mary Higby Schweitzer of North Carolina State University.

It had been thought that some proteins could last a million years or more, but not to the age of the dinosaurs, she said.

So, when she was able to recover soft tissue from a T. rex bone found in Montana in 2003 she was surprised, Schweitzer said.

And now, researchers led by John M. Asara of Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center in Boston have been able to analyze proteins from that bone.

I await, a little less than eagerly because I could probably write it almost verbatim myself, AiG's imaginitive response.

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 04/12/2007 :  16:30:53   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
To AiG, what's the big deal about this? So some proteins from a 4-6,000 year old dragon have been recovered. Just goes to prove the Bible was right.

Biology is just physics that has begun to smell bad.” —HalfMooner
Here's a link to Moonscape News, and one to its Archive.
Go to Top of Page

beskeptigal
SFN Die Hard

USA
3834 Posts

Posted - 04/13/2007 :  14:17:48   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send beskeptigal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Why wait?
quote:
The thigh bone was in the news again yesterday, but this time in an attempt to boost the evolution belief system. The analysis of proteins extracted from the T. rex is being used to show an evolutionary link between dinosaurs and chickens—that dinosaurs eventually evolved into birds (as is now commonly taught as fact in textbooks and science museums).

On this website tomorrow (in our regular weekend feature called News to Note), we will have more to say about this evolutionary claim. In addition, after consulting the original research into the protein comparison, we hope to say even more next week.

For the moment, let's not ignore the importance of what has been found (and as will be declared in the soon-to-open Creation Museum): finding T. rex soft tissue is compelling evidence that it was not 65 million years ago that dinosaurs died out, as given on the evolutionary timeline. Furthermore, if dinosaurs have been roaming the earth in relatively recent times, there would have been virtually no time, for example, for the supposed evolution of reptilian scales into intricate feathers.

Indeed, this T. rex fossil provides wonderful circumstantial evidence to support the biblical chronology of a young earth. Additionally, creationists already know that birds were created before dinosaurs: on days 5 and 6 respectively of creation week.

Twisting, twisting, twisting.....
Edited by - beskeptigal on 04/13/2007 14:18:38
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 04/13/2007 :  14:58:24   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Same ol', same ol'...... Sad.

What is at least as sad is that they never propose any science of their own; all they ever do is react to the work of others.
Heh, there is a pretty good conjecture out there. It sez that if you take away their funny book, they will be struck dumb.

Anybody wanna go on a Bible raid?

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

Vegeta
Skeptic Friend

United Kingdom
238 Posts

Posted - 04/13/2007 :  18:54:12   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Vegeta a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Sometimes I like to play devil's advocate and think of creationist arguments.

I would've said the cells were still preserved because the bone was clearly not 65 million years old, but much younger. Then gone on to illustrate this 'surprise' as another gap in sceintific knowledge and another reason why evolution is just a theory which should be critically considered.

seems weird to me they're too stupid to even latch onto this argument

What are you looking at? Haven't you ever seen a pink shirt before?

"I was asked if I would do a similar sketch but focusing on the shortcomings of Islam rather than Christianity. I said, 'No, no I wouldn't. I may be an atheist but I'm not stupid.'" - Steward Lee
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 04/13/2007 :  19:03:43   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by beskeptigal

Why wait?
quote:
The thigh bone was in the news again yesterday, but this time in an attempt to boost the evolution belief system. The analysis of proteins extracted from the T. rex is being used to show an evolutionary link between dinosaurs and chickens—that dinosaurs eventually evolved into birds (as is now commonly taught as fact in textbooks and science museums).

On this website tomorrow (in our regular weekend feature called News to Note), we will have more to say about this evolutionary claim. In addition, after consulting the original research into the protein comparison, we hope to say even more next week.

For the moment, let's not ignore the importance of what has been found (and as will be declared in the soon-to-open Creation Museum): finding T. rex soft tissue is compelling evidence that it was not 65 million years ago that dinosaurs died out, as given on the evolutionary timeline. Furthermore, if dinosaurs have been roaming the earth in relatively recent times, there would have been virtually no time, for example, for the supposed evolution of reptilian scales into intricate feathers.

Indeed, this T. rex fossil provides wonderful circumstantial evidence to support the biblical chronology of a young earth. Additionally, creationists already know that birds were created before dinosaurs: on days 5 and 6 respectively of creation week.

Twisting, twisting, twisting.....

I outta sue AiG for plagiarism! They published my own ideas posted here, just a day after I posted 'em.

Biology is just physics that has begun to smell bad.” —HalfMooner
Here's a link to Moonscape News, and one to its Archive.
Edited by - HalfMooner on 04/14/2007 07:14:44
Go to Top of Page

beskeptigal
SFN Die Hard

USA
3834 Posts

Posted - 04/13/2007 :  19:24:57   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send beskeptigal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Guess what folks? Courtesy of Delphi_ote from JREF
quote:
I'm going to say this once and only once. It will be in large text to make this fact very cear.

IT WAS NOT DNA!

It was a very short fragment of a very common protein. Do not let this myth about DNA spread. It's everywhere I go and it's giving me a headache. The paper is interesting enough without all this nonsense about sequencing DNA from fossils.

Here's what the news article says after inaccurately reporting "genetic material" in the first paragraph:
quote:
In refining the technique, he had previously studied proteins from a mastodon, and when he heard of Schweitzer's finding soft tissues in a T. rex bone he decided to see if he could detect proteins there also.

He was able to identify seven different dinosaur proteins from the bone and compared them with proteins from living species. Three matched chickens, two matched several species including chickens, one matched a protein from a newt and the other from a frog.

I hear frog legs taste like chicken too.

Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 04/14/2007 :  02:41:41   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
They do, at least pretty close. So does snake and iguana.

And why should they not? All are related at a fundemental level. Sawbill ducks, however, taste like rancid fish so you can't use taste as a definitive identification method....

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

Kil
Evil Skeptic

USA
13476 Posts

Posted - 04/14/2007 :  07:26:22   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Kil's Homepage  Send Kil an AOL message  Send Kil a Yahoo! Message Send Kil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by filthy

They do, at least pretty close. So does snake and iguana.

And why should they not? All are related at a fundemental level. Sawbill ducks, however, taste like rancid fish so you can't use taste as a definitive identification method....

So, the old saying, “you are what you eat” should be amended at times to say “you taste like what you eat”.

Uncertainty may make you uncomfortable. Certainty makes you ridiculous.

Why not question something for a change?

Genetic Literacy Project
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.08 seconds.