My baby turns 18 tomorrow!
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

beskeptigal
SFN Die Hard

USA
3834 Posts

Posted - 04/23/2007 :  20:21:26  Show Profile Send beskeptigal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Probably this belongs at the water cooler. So what do parents get when their only or last child turns 18? Seems like as much a milestone for me as for him.

Next Sept he's off to college, Bellingham, 3 hour drive. Could be worse, could be as far as Boston or something. But he will be gone from the house and that means it'll be empty, 'cept for me and the dogs.

So I need a new hobby, a new social life, a new something. Wish I could retire and move about the cabin country. I want to go treasure hunting. I wonder if there are any local skeptics who want to look for meteorites, fossils, or other gems/gold or whatnot perhaps on the eastern side of the state? I'd go by myself if running around the empty countryside alone was safe to do. It probably is for the most part, but I've gone hiking alone and it just didn't seem to be the smart thing to do sometimes. I should have gotten one big dog instead of two little ones maybe?

Anyway, just thinking out loud.

marfknox
SFN Die Hard

USA
3739 Posts

Posted - 04/23/2007 :  20:33:17   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit marfknox's Homepage  Send marfknox an AOL message Send marfknox a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Your dilemma sounds wonderful.

Edited to add: I'm at the opposite end of that journey - planning on starting our family soon.

"Too much certainty and clarity could lead to cruel intolerance" -Karen Armstrong

Check out my art store: http://www.marfknox.etsy.com

Edited by - marfknox on 04/23/2007 20:34:03
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 04/24/2007 :  02:04:41   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Congratulations, B! That is indeed a milestone for you and your son as well. My suggestion is that you could search for Bigfoot. That should keep you occupied for years.

Biology is just physics that has begun to smell bad.” —HalfMooner
Here's a link to Moonscape News, and one to its Archive.
Go to Top of Page

beskeptigal
SFN Die Hard

USA
3834 Posts

Posted - 04/24/2007 :  02:56:56   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send beskeptigal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Treasure, HM. I want to find treasure!
Edited by - beskeptigal on 04/24/2007 02:57:13
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 04/24/2007 :  04:15:59   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by beskeptigal

Treasure, HM. I want to find treasure!

Looks to me like you already have....

It is said that the true value in treasure is the seeking of it. Dunno who said that -- probably some fool liberal or other.

My advice: just kick back and let the idea come to you. It will, you know.

Here in NC, there are tourist traps in the mountains that will, for a few $$, give you a bucket of apparent driveway gravel and show you how to sort through it. Rubies are a very common find, and, while they are not likely to make you wealthy, can be polished and set into bragging-rights jewelry or just collected. And every once in a while, a good sized one shows up. Emeralds are found as well, and there is gold in them thar hills.

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

Gorgo
SFN Die Hard

USA
5310 Posts

Posted - 04/24/2007 :  06:06:26   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Gorgo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've always wanted to see what Seattle was like. I'd go to Seattle if I were you.

I know the rent is in arrears
The dog has not been fed in years
It's even worse than it appears
But it's alright-
Jerry Garcia
Robert Hunter

Go to Top of Page

McQ
Skeptic Friend

USA
258 Posts

Posted - 04/24/2007 :  11:25:47   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send McQ a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Haven't had my last one turn 18 yet (five years to go for him), but two others already have, and had one turn 17 two weeks ago. It is a milestone though. You're going to be free to talk to yourself all the time now! At least you'll find out if you're good company or not.

Elvis didn't do no drugs!
--Penn Gillette
Go to Top of Page

Dr. Mabuse
Septic Fiend

Sweden
9687 Posts

Posted - 04/24/2007 :  14:11:17   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Dr. Mabuse an ICQ Message Send Dr. Mabuse a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Buy yourself a small telescope and a powerful binocular... Go stargazing.

Dr. Mabuse - "When the going gets tough, the tough get Duct-tape..."
Dr. Mabuse whisper.mp3

"Equivocation is not just a job, for a creationist it's a way of life..." Dr. Mabuse

Support American Troops in Iraq:
Send them unarmed civilians for target practice..
Collateralmurder.
Go to Top of Page

Hawks
SFN Regular

Canada
1383 Posts

Posted - 04/24/2007 :  15:30:43   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Hawks's Homepage Send Hawks a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
I wonder if there are any local skeptics who want to look for meteorites, fossils, or other gems/gold or whatnot perhaps on the eastern side of the state?

I'd join you, but I have just over 18 years before my youngest one turns 18...

METHINKS IT IS LIKE A WEASEL
It's a small, off-duty czechoslovakian traffic warden!
Go to Top of Page

beskeptigal
SFN Die Hard

USA
3834 Posts

Posted - 04/25/2007 :  00:17:55   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send beskeptigal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dr. Mabuse

Buy yourself a small telescope and a powerful binocular... Go stargazing.

I have two large telescopes, one small one and at least 5 pairs of binocs (little and big). I can Moon gaze and see Saturn right out the window. I have solar filters to see sunspots. And I've chased meteor showers for years. We went south 4 years out of 5 to catch the Leonids storm.
Go to Top of Page

Dr. Mabuse
Septic Fiend

Sweden
9687 Posts

Posted - 04/25/2007 :  14:10:11   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Dr. Mabuse an ICQ Message Send Dr. Mabuse a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Awesome... You're stargazing evem more than me. I'm an amateur astronomer, but more a theoretical than a practical one.

Dr. Mabuse - "When the going gets tough, the tough get Duct-tape..."
Dr. Mabuse whisper.mp3

"Equivocation is not just a job, for a creationist it's a way of life..." Dr. Mabuse

Support American Troops in Iraq:
Send them unarmed civilians for target practice..
Collateralmurder.
Go to Top of Page

beskeptigal
SFN Die Hard

USA
3834 Posts

Posted - 04/25/2007 :  15:38:53   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send beskeptigal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dr. Mabuse

Awesome... You're stargazing evem more than me. I'm an amateur astronomer, but more a theoretical than a practical one.

I'm an avid Universe contemplator.

Edited by - beskeptigal on 04/25/2007 15:39:15
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.08 seconds.