Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 5

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 05/01/2007 :  20:40:52   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Dude, I don't follow your reasoning as to why a higher gravity would require critters in it to mover faster. Yes, things fall faster, but how does that relate to a need for speed? In my unscholarly guesstimation, slow and steady would seem to be the likelier default.

My own thought is that smaller critters would be a lot better adapted than megafauna. In fact, I would expect that a creature like a earth rat might have little trouble adapting to 2.2 gees. Insects wold find no appreciable difference, except in flying (and that would depend on the atmospheric density). Most of the scaly critters for which Fil acts as an enabler might be quite happy in 2.2 gee.

An elephant, or a large dinosaur, would have to be an engineering marvel, just to walk. Of course, evolution is a marvelous engineer.

Biology is just physics that has begun to smell bad.” —HalfMooner
Here's a link to Moonscape News, and one to its Archive.
Edited by - HalfMooner on 05/01/2007 20:51:41
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 05/01/2007 :  20:44:35   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Filthy mused:
quote:
As for intelligence, <shrug> define intelligence.... Same for civilization. What is the definition of "is", eh? Our concepts of those matters might not be the same as their's.
Okay, I'll bite.

An intelligent creature is one that is empowered to ponder the nature of intelligence, and is capable of such circular reasoning.

"Civilization" is simply city-living.

Edited by - HalfMooner on 05/01/2007 20:46:11
Go to Top of Page

Dude
SFN Die Hard

USA
6891 Posts

Posted - 05/01/2007 :  21:00:53   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Dude a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Half said:
quote:
Dude, I don't follow your reasoning as to why a higher gravity would require critters in it to mover faster. Yes, things fall faster, but how does that relate to a need for speed? In my unscholarly guesstimation, slow and steady would seem to be the likelier default.

With acceleration from gravity being more than twice that of earth, you'd have to be able to move faster to avoid falling things, like a pouncing predator. You'd have to be able to move faster to catch a baseball. You'd have to be much stronger to throw a baseball.

To do something simple, like catch yourself to prevent a fall, your reaction time and the speed with wich you move would have to be faster, along with the extra stregth to manage the task.

It is all, obviously, just speculation, but the need for increased speed and reaction times seems unavoidable in an environment where falling objects accelerate more than twice as fast as on earth. Same for the increased strength to carry th increased weight.

Of course, your idea of slow and small lifeforms is just as valid. I can imagine that being an effective adaptation for high G. Same for filthy's invertabrates. Seems like invertebrates would be a good candidate for living in a water environment in high G.

And its fun to think about All of us are, in reality, probably wrong about what traits evolution would produce in high G, but its a fun though experiment.

Ignorance is preferable to error; and he is less remote from the truth who believes nothing, than he who believes what is wrong.
-- Thomas Jefferson

"god :: the last refuge of a man with no answers and no argument." - G. Carlin

Hope, n.
The handmaiden of desperation; the opiate of despair; the illegible signpost on the road to perdition. ~~ da filth
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 05/02/2007 :  06:38:30   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by HalfMooner

Filthy mused:
quote:
As for intelligence, <shrug> define intelligence.... Same for civilization. What is the definition of "is", eh? Our concepts of those matters might not be the same as their's.
Okay, I'll bite.

An intelligent creature is one that is empowered to ponder the nature of intelligence, and is capable of such circular reasoning.

Oh goody! Somebody bit! Heh, define “city.”

Ok, what if these hypothetical creatures have no brain, at least not as we think of such, and yet are still managing to communicate?

This is important because without communication, civilization could not exist. I maintain that civilization is not restricted to merely sentient creatures. In that context, bee hives and anthills are civilizations, are they not? So is a troop of baboons or a labyrinth full of funky, little naked mole rats. And lion prides and whale pods, and prairie dog towns as well.

Am I painting with too broad a brush here? I think not, and the brush get's broader as we go along.

These are all societies even more closely knit than our own, but what if a society is comprised of dedicated loners that only meet at territorial edges, and then only for reproduction purposes or to steal territory? That one too, is very common here on earth -- most cats, large and small, for example. Are these civilizations? I say that indeed they are, for communication, however limited, is vital at those territorial edges.

So, a civilization can be considered as structured interaction within a species through communication -- wup, forgot one; an important one: schooling fishes.

Ok, that said, if not agreed with, how might our distant neighbors, if any, communicate? Fishes do it largely through miniscule changes in pressure caused by others in the school and picked up through the lateral line, as well as actual electrical discharges, which, when you think about it, is pretty amazing.

So, as queried, what if these guys had only a nervous system without a defined brain? Could they communicate well enough to have a civilization? Sure, why not? Politicians do it all the time Precedent, of sorts, is all around us, notably in trees.

So, what if the creature(s) were all but sisal, like anemones? How might they communicate other than psychically, which we all know is a crock, on our world, anyway? Lots of ways, pheromones, for one. Posture for another.

And we must take into consideration that there would be many more than one species present.

See, we really don't know enough biology to do anything more that speculate upon such a alien scenario, and I'd give odds that every one of our speculations are dead wrong.

To finish up, here's AiG's take on it:
quote:

Please note that links will take you directly to the source. AiG is not responsible for content on the news websites to which we refer.

1. BBC NEWS: “New ‘super-Earth' found in space”
It may be a record for exaggerating news out of proportion: the discovery of an extrasolar planet not much larger than earth has prompted giddy cries from some scientists who seem to suggest we'll be contacting extraterrestrial life forms before mid-May! So what's the real story?

The real story is that, through indirect methods of

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 05/02/2007 :  16:41:27   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by filthy

quote:
Originally posted by HalfMooner

Filthy mused:
quote:
Okay, I'll bite.

Oh goody! Somebody bit! Heh, define “city.”

Ok, what if these hypothetical creatures have no brain, at least not as we think of such, and yet are still managing to communicate?

This is important because without communication, civilization could not exist. I maintain that civilization is not restricted to merely sentient creatures. In that context, bee hives and anthills are civilizations, are they not? So is a troop of baboons or a labyrinth full of funky, little naked mole rats. And lion prides and whale pods, and prairie dog towns as well.

Am I painting with too broad a brush here? I think not, and the brush get's broader as we go along.

These are all societies even more closely knit than our own, but what if a society is comprised of dedicated loners that only meet at territorial edges, and then only for reproduction purposes or to steal territory? That one too, is very common here on earth -- most cats, large and small, for example. Are these civilizations? I say that indeed they are, for communication, however limited, is vital at those territorial edges.

So, a civilization can be considered as structured interaction within a species through communication -- wup, forgot one; an important one: schooling fishes.

Ok, that said, if not agreed with, how might our distant neighbors, if any, communicate? Fishes do it largely through miniscule changes in pressure caused by others in the school and picked up through the lateral line, as well as actual electrical discharges, which, when you think about it, is pretty amazing.

So, as queried, what if these guys had only a nervous system without a defined brain? Could they communicate well enough to have a civilization? Sure, why not? Politicians do it all the time Precedent, of sorts, is all around us, notably in trees.

So, what if the creature(s) were all but sisal, like anemones? How might they communicate other than psychically, which we all know is a crock, on our world, anyway? Lots of ways, pheromones, for one. Posture for another.

And we must take into consideration that there would be many more than one species present.

See, we really don't know enough biology to do anything more that speculate upon such a alien scenario, and I'd give odds that every one of our speculations are dead wrong.

To finish up, here's AiG's take on it:
quote:

Please note that links will take you directly to the source. AiG is not responsible for content on the news websites to which we refer.

1. BBC NEWS: “New ‘super-Earth' found in space”
It may be a record for exaggerating news out of proportion: the discovery of an extrasolar planet not much larger than earth has prompted giddy cries from some scient

Go to Top of Page

Chippewa
SFN Regular

USA
1496 Posts

Posted - 05/02/2007 :  17:14:21   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Chippewa's Homepage Send Chippewa a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've noticed from years of posting at Skeptic Friends and at Bad Astronomy - there is a definite trend for Christian fundamentalists to despise the following. (Though other types of “religious” people might feel these things enhance their mysticism.) :

Big Bang theory
Evolution and Darwin
SETI
Einstein

Through subsequent posts and arguments, the reasons eventually surface as:

Big Bang theory – Competes with their brand of religious business. / Potentially disproves their dogma.

Evolution and Darwin – Competes with their brand of religious business. / Potentially disproves their dogma.

SETI –Potentially disproves their creationist dogma. Unravels divine source of the born-again types.

Einstein - Potentially disproves their dogma. Latent or blatant anti-Semitism.
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 05/02/2007 :  18:25:14   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
What's a city? It's a place where civilized intelligences (beings evolved to the point they can use circular reasoning) reside.

Erm, that definition is too tight, I think. A creature doesn't have to be sentient or approaching it to live in and maintain a city. So again with the naked mole rats:
quote:
The naked mole rat is native to the drier parts of the tropical grasslands of East Africa, predominantly South Ethiopia, Kenya, and Somalia.

Clusters averaging 75-80 live together in complex systems of burrows in arid African deserts. The tunnel systems built by naked mole rats can stretch up to two or three miles in cumulative length.[1]

Other than lacking public transportation and garbage collection, how is this not a city?

I think that any active hive can be considered a city. After all, it's residents live there permenantly and scrupulously maintain it. Mole rats have workers harvesting food and maintaining the tunnels, and soldiers to maintain order and fend off enemies, including mole rats from other hives. Same with honey bees; same with ants.

But let's open it up a little farther: from the above point of view, can a reef, with all of it's bewildering diversity and conflicts, be considered a city?

I'm pretty tired tonight, so I won't answer that at the moment. Besides, I need time to come up with a good one....

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 05/03/2007 :  00:20:50   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Again with the mole rats, Filthy? Always these hoity-toity, so cultured and urbane, civilized mole rats!

You like 'em so much for their civilized manners, then you sponsor their citizenship. But I'm going to guess that once you know them up close and personal, you'll just end up feeding them to your snakes.

Edited by - HalfMooner on 05/03/2007 03:25:48
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 05/03/2007 :  03:44:29   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Then, there's The Onion's take on this "Earth-like planet."

Go to Top of Page

beskeptigal
SFN Die Hard

USA
3834 Posts

Posted - 05/03/2007 :  04:02:50   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send beskeptigal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Cute link, HM. I see you, me, and Marf are up at this ungodly hour again. So I think I'll head to bed with that funny page in my head before I read anymore things about Bush or Iraq that depresses me again.

Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 05/03/2007 :  06:42:26   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Heh, neat link. The Onion seldom fails to make an incomparable comment upon most any topic.

Thanks...

With y'all's permission, I'll postpone my coral-reef/city blither beyond stating that indeed they are, and let everyone else argue it, if they so wish. Got something else going and my head won't contain both.

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

BigPapaSmurf
SFN Die Hard

3192 Posts

Posted - 05/03/2007 :  10:11:25   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send BigPapaSmurf a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Reading between the lines, it's apparent that AiG knows that finding signs of life on another planet will be a major blow against the ongoing Creationist effort to retain the idea of a small, simple, and absurdly young universe in the minds of the public.

And it will be a triumph for the Mormons, who are almost as detested by the AiG types as the non-theists. Then all they will need is to find a planet or star which is a single solid crystal...

"...things I have neither seen nor experienced nor heard tell of from anybody else; things, what is more, that do not in fact exist and could not ever exist at all. So my readers must not believe a word I say." -Lucian on his book True History

"...They accept such things on faith alone, without any evidence. So if a fraudulent and cunning person who knows how to take advantage of a situation comes among them, he can make himself rich in a short time." -Lucian critical of early Christians c.166 AD From his book, De Morte Peregrini
Go to Top of Page

BigPapaSmurf
SFN Die Hard

3192 Posts

Posted - 05/03/2007 :  10:15:00   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send BigPapaSmurf a Private Message  Reply with Quote
On the what is a city topic,

For me a city is a central hub/place of residence for managing outlying areas, no city is self-sustaining...yet.

"...things I have neither seen nor experienced nor heard tell of from anybody else; things, what is more, that do not in fact exist and could not ever exist at all. So my readers must not believe a word I say." -Lucian on his book True History

"...They accept such things on faith alone, without any evidence. So if a fraudulent and cunning person who knows how to take advantage of a situation comes among them, he can make himself rich in a short time." -Lucian critical of early Christians c.166 AD From his book, De Morte Peregrini
Go to Top of Page

JohnOAS
SFN Regular

Australia
800 Posts

Posted - 05/03/2007 :  18:31:44   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit JohnOAS's Homepage Send JohnOAS a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
How Earth-like? 'Temperate and able to sustain life' Earth-like or 'completely overrun with self-absorbed assholes' Earth-like?

quote:
Originally posted by filthy

Heh, neat link. The Onion seldom fails to make an incomparable comment upon most any topic.

Thanks...

Too true.

Hell, sometimes just the pictures, names, and job descriptions are enough to get a laugh out of me.

John's just this guy, you know.
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 05/04/2007 :  03:03:44   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
JohnOAS wrote:
quote:

Hell, sometimes just the pictures, names, and job descriptions are enough to get a laugh out of me.
Me, too, even though (especially since?) the pictures are always of the same people.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 5 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.44 seconds.