Save Password
Forgot your Password?
Home | Forums | Active Topics | Active Polls | Register | FAQ | Contact Us  
  Connect: Chat | SFN Messenger | Buddy List | Members
Personalize: Profile | My Page | Forum Bookmarks  
 All Forums
 Community Forums
 General Discussion
 Anyone have any idea what this could've been?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Vegeta
Skeptic Friend

United Kingdom
238 Posts

Posted - 04/30/2007 :  03:22:42  Show Profile Send Vegeta a Private Message  Reply with Quote
warning: kinda gross

Hi I recently saw something in my toilet which has alarmed me a bit. It was a black worm-like thing about the size and proportions of an earthworm, but jet black, and it didn't have the fat part that earthworms have. Also it was thrashing from side to side pretty violently. By the way it was thrashing, it seemed to have a stiffer body than a leech or worm, and also it seemed to be moving only on one plane (side to side), and its body was of uniform thickness which suggests it wasn't a leech. However I was unable to make out any detail on it (such as a head or any textures on the skin). Admittedly I did not look at it for very long.

Anyway, I flushed it down and haven't used the toilet ever since...

What are you looking at? Haven't you ever seen a pink shirt before?

"I was asked if I would do a similar sketch but focusing on the shortcomings of Islam rather than Christianity. I said, 'No, no I wouldn't. I may be an atheist but I'm not stupid.'" - Steward Lee

JohnOAS
SFN Regular

Australia
800 Posts

Posted - 04/30/2007 :  05:43:41   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit JohnOAS's Homepage Send JohnOAS a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Is it safe to assume it/they didn't come (directly) from inside you or someone other occupant of your house?

A quick google turned up a few hits on Nematomorpha (horse hair worms), although these may be thinner than what you described. Still, at over 300 species, you're bound to find something you like.

quote:
They are, on average, 1 metre long, and 1 to 3 millimetres in diameter. Horsehair worms can be discovered in damp areas such as watering troughs, streams, puddles, and cisterns. (bolding mine)

I'm afraid (well, actually I'm sort of glad) I have no real expertise in this area. Your post was just the first in my "Active topics" list, and I was in a googly mood, so there you have it.

John's just this guy, you know.
Edited by - JohnOAS on 04/30/2007 05:44:35
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 04/30/2007 :  05:47:04   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Not gross at all.... It sounds like one of the flatworms to me. It is not dangerous in that if you can actually see it, it's not parasitic.

Bedford's flatworm, one of the marine species.

Flatworms are fascinating animals. Indeed, there are species that feed only on the waste products of internal algae, which, in turn, survive by photosynthasis. And yet, the "Intelligent Designer" designed them with mouth parts. Go figger....

Edit: Big dummy forgot to link it....

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

Edited by - filthy on 04/30/2007 06:00:27
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 04/30/2007 :  07:06:21   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Dug around a little to see if I could get a better ID (your description was a little short of precise). Did your worm look like this:

If so, it is a common species (uncertain which one) of terrestrial flatworm that is often found in gardens.

For some idea of just how diverse these guys are, do a google images search on flatworms. They won't seem nearly so gross afterward. Indeed many of them are absolutly gorgeous.

Oh hell, I'll do it! They really are worth a look.

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

Vegeta
Skeptic Friend

United Kingdom
238 Posts

Posted - 04/30/2007 :  08:35:10   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Vegeta a Private Message  Reply with Quote
well you may not find them gross, but I've got a major problem with anything slimey...

Dunno if it came out my arse to be honest, but I think I would've felt it, it wasn't small. And I usually have a quick look before I flush.

It could've been that black one, but I'm almost certain it didn't taper like that. I could be mistaken though, I was pretty freaked out. its like my worst nightmare was in the toilet. I still havent been in there.

If it looked like one of those colourful marine ones, there'd be no problem...still I wouldn't want to be swimming anywhere near one of those.

"I was asked if I would do a similar sketch but focusing on the shortcomings of Islam rather than Christianity. I said, 'No, no I wouldn't. I may be an atheist but I'm not stupid.'" - Steward Lee
Go to Top of Page

Kil
Evil Skeptic

USA
13476 Posts

Posted - 04/30/2007 :  08:56:20   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Kil's Homepage  Send Kil an AOL message  Send Kil a Yahoo! Message Send Kil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
From time to time we get slugs crawling up our shower. I
kinda think they are cool but Michelle does not like them there...

Uncertainty may make you uncomfortable. Certainty makes you ridiculous.

Why not question something for a change?

Genetic Literacy Project
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 04/30/2007 :  09:03:09   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Vegeta

well you may not find them gross, but I've got a major problem with anything slimey...

Dunno if it came out my arse to be honest, but I think I would've felt it, it wasn't small. And I usually have a quick look before I flush.

It could've been that black one, but I'm almost certain it didn't taper like that. I could be mistaken though, I was pretty freaked out. its like my worst nightmare was in the toilet. I still havent been in there.

If it looked like one of those colourful marine ones, there'd be no problem...still I wouldn't want to be swimming anywhere near one of those.

Rest assured that it never came anywhere your innards. It most likely came up through the waste plumbing and got trapped in the bowl. You merely sent it back to whence it came.

It's difficult to be 100% sure as to the ID because these things change shape, as do most worms, to a fairly large extent. Never the less, I'm certain that a flatworm is the best explanation. If, in the highly unlikely event that you find another, catch it and take it to a university for the ID. They will be happy to do it.

Catching it will present no problem; they can't hurt you. Simply scoop it up with some sort of strainer and drop it into a container. If you have a garden, you might find one there. Look under stones and detrius, and so forth. If anyone asks you what you are doing, tell them that you are looking for worms that are flattened. That will do amazing things for your reputation within the community.

and Crypto-Communist!

Edited by - filthy on 04/30/2007 09:06:02
Go to Top of Page

Vegeta
Skeptic Friend

United Kingdom
238 Posts

Posted - 04/30/2007 :  09:35:31   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Vegeta a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm not going near any flatworms. Pictures are close enough. I think its safe to say there's no contriution I could make to the study of flatworms and I can rest easily knowing that I've not deprived the world of any vital flatworm knowledge.

Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 04/30/2007 :  09:48:08   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Every once in a while, I'll find a centipede trapped in the toilet. Flush. That's the only time I do anything about 'em. The centipedes keep the insect population in my home down, and my cats keep the centipede population down.

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.
Go to Top of Page

Vegeta
Skeptic Friend

United Kingdom
238 Posts

Posted - 04/30/2007 :  10:24:38   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Vegeta a Private Message  Reply with Quote
And who's keeping the cats under control? Chinese takeaway?

Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 04/30/2007 :  11:06:00   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 04/30/2007 :  11:22:18   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I'd say the dog does, except he thinks the cats are little dogs. What really keeps the cats in check is my utter lack of desire to clean the catboxes more than I already do.

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.09 seconds.