General Skepticism
 Letter to a scam artist...
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

the_ignored
SFN Addict

2562 Posts

Posted - 05/01/2007 :  09:59:50  Show Profile Send the_ignored a Private Message  Reply with Quote
These are starting to get pathetic, so now I'm replying with tips on how they can at least make their stories more believable. Let me know what more tips I can give. Or better yet, email them.

I know that we're not really supposed to give emails on the net, but since this is a scam, screw them. Let's annoy them for a change, eh?

-------------------------------------------
Learning to type using proper english and the spelling thereof would help make your emails more tolerable, though what you're still doing is patently bullshit...

You need to do a few things to try to make this more believable:

1) I have never heard from you, so you can't call me your friend and claim that it's been "long" time that you've heard from me, and that I had previously helped you in your past endeavours.

2) Names and references (even fake) would help, though you'd need to have people available to actually respond so your marks would at least get the impression that your setup is real. For example, a name and contact address for the "Ladyaccountant" that you mention.

3) Using third world countries are a tip-off, thanks to the Nigerian scam that was pulled a while ago. No one trusts anyone from "Paraguay"!

I'd mention some more hints that I think might help, but the internet has ruined my attention span. Don't worry, though. I've posted this email on a messageboard I frequent, and I'm sure that they'll be able to contact you with more useful hints than I've been able to give.

[from the email address of: gabriel_nnamdi201@yahoo.com]

EDIT: That email address that the message came from, does not work, so he or she didn't get my reply.

Probably to the relief of the people reading this post!

==============================================
zakilo77@anpmall.net wrote:

My dear freind,

It's been long I heard from you. Well, I just want touse this medium to thank you very much for your earlier assistance tohelp me in receiving the funds, without any positive outcome.

I am obliged to inform you that I have succeeded inreceiving the funds with the help of a new partner from Paraguay. Everythingwas perfectly done because we strike a deal with one of the Ladyaccountant who works with the Federal Ministry of Finance (FMF) and she rendered atremendous help to us.

My new partner initiated this idea and everythingworked out successfully.
In appreciation of your earlier assistance to me inreceiving the Funds, I have decided tocompensate you with the sum of$850,000 in a Cashier's cheque (Eight Hundred and Fifty Thousand United StatesDollars). This is from my own share. I did this simply to show you thatit is good to do good things to the right people always.

Presently, I am in Paraguay for investment projectwith my own share under the advice of my partner. Meanwhile, I didn't forgetyour past efforts and attempts to assist me in transferring those fundsdespite that it failed us somehow. I will be sending you e-mail from time totime to know if you have received your share or not.

Now contact my personal assistant in benin Mr.gabriel On my former telephone line and do send him your contact addresswhere you want the cheque to be sent to you. The phone numbers, which youwill reach my personal assistant once again, is
His e-mail address: gabriel_nnamdi201@yahoo.fr
Please do let me know immediately you receive it sothat we can share the joy together after all the suffering at that time. In
the moment, I am very busy here in Paraguay because of the investment projects, which the new partner and I are having at hand. So feel free to getin touch with young
Mark to send the cheque to you without any delay.

With My Best

DR ZAK ILO
EMAIL:dr_zakilo@yahoo.fr

>From: enuffenuff@fastmail.fm
(excerpt follows):
> I'm looking to teach these two bastards a lesson they'll never forget.
> Personal visit by mates of mine. No violence, just a wee little chat.
>
> **** has also committed more crimes than you can count with his
> incitement of hatred against a religion. That law came in about 2007
> much to ****'s ignorance. That is fact and his writing will become well
> know as well as him becoming a publicly known icon of hatred.
>
> Good luck with that fuckwit. And Reynold, fucking run, and don't stop.
> Disappear would be best as it was you who dared to attack me on my
> illness knowing nothing of the cause. You disgust me and you are top of
> the list boy. Again, no violence. Just regular reminders of who's there
> and visits to see you are behaving. Nothing scary in reality. But I'd
> still disappear if I was you.

What brought that on? this. Original posting here.

Another example of this guy's lunacy here.

Edited by - the_ignored on 05/01/2007 10:14:38

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 05/01/2007 :  10:56:14   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I think part of the scam is that the mark is supposed to think that he has gotten the email in error, and that the sender thinks he's a trusted old friend.

I've heard that the same use of greedy dishonesty in the mark is used by old-style scammers, such as those who promise apparently-stolen merchandise at a fraction of value, if one pays up front. Either way, the hint of dishonesty is a lure on the hook to be sink into the mark's jaw.

Likewise, the semiliterate nature of these letters may itself attract a mark who is thinking he's taking advantage of someone who is not thinking clearly. That may not be the intention of the writing style, but it may pay off that way, anyway.

Biology is just physics that has begun to smell bad.” —HalfMooner
Here's a link to Moonscape News, and one to its Archive.
Edited by - HalfMooner on 05/01/2007 11:00:25
Go to Top of Page

the_ignored
SFN Addict

2562 Posts

Posted - 05/01/2007 :  11:00:15   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send the_ignored a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by HalfMooner

I think part of the scam is that the mark is supposed to think that he has gotten the email in error, and that the sender thinks he's a trusted old friend.

So, in other words, you're saying that I was actually too stupid to fall for this scam, since I didn't think that it was sent "in error"?

I guess it's a good thing that my reply didn't get through! I'd have really looked like an idiot!

(excerpt follows):
>
>

Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 05/01/2007 :  11:02:04   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You weren't greedy enough to fall for it. Or rather, you weren't a fine combination of greedy enough and stupid enough.

Go to Top of Page

perrodetokio
Skeptic Friend

275 Posts

Posted - 05/08/2007 :  10:03:55   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send perrodetokio a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It is said that people who are on the look-out for "something for nothing" have more chances of falling for this scams.
So HM is right in saying that perhaps you were not greedy enough AND stupid enough to fall for it.

A while ago I received a similar e-mail, but this time from a "very christian lady" who was on her death-bed and her husband (who had died a few years earlier) left her a fortune.

The thing is that, in the email, she said that her relatives were not trust-wotrhy to make use of her fortune for a good cause, SO TRUSTING GOD SHE HAD CHOSEN ME OUT OF ALL PEOPLE TO GIVE ME HER FORTUNE! Because I would do the christian and right thing with it!!! I should send her (she was in the hospital but had access to the internet) my name, bank details, passwords, blah, blah, blah, etc.

I responded that I was a very bad person and should I receive her fortune I would use it to buy lots of drugs, sex and would not give a shit about anyone!!!

She answered that e-mail telling me that since I was that honest with her, she had probably made the right choice!!!

I never replied.

Did I miss-out on being rich?

I doubt it, and I wasn't greedy enough to find out.

(sorry about my ranting, but I could not help it)

Cheers
perrodetokio

"Yes I have a belief in a creator/God but do not know that he exists." Bill Scott

"They are still mosquitoes! They did not turn into whales or lizards or anything else. They are still mosquitoes!..." Bill Scott

"We should have millions of missing links or transition fossils showing a fish turning into a philosopher..." Bill Scott
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 05/08/2007 :  12:58:26   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
That's a very funny account, perrodetokio!

Go to Top of Page

Dude
SFN Die Hard

USA
6891 Posts

Posted - 05/08/2007 :  14:28:33   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Dude a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I respond back to every one fo those emails with this:

I regret that I am unable to assist you at this time. I am currently facing some legal issues over finances and do not have access to my personal bank accounts. I am also barred from opening new accounts or businesses until these issues are settled.

I must pay a fine, as ruled by a judge, of $10,000 US in order to have my legal financial rights restored.

If you are willing to assist me in this matter, then I may be able, and would be willing, to assist you with the transfer of your inheritance to an account of your choice here in the US.

Regards,

I never get a response.

Ignorance is preferable to error; and he is less remote from the truth who believes nothing, than he who believes what is wrong.
-- Thomas Jefferson

"god :: the last refuge of a man with no answers and no argument." - G. Carlin

Hope, n.
The handmaiden of desperation; the opiate of despair; the illegible signpost on the road to perdition. ~~ da filth
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 05/08/2007 :  18:48:55   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
That's good, too, Dude! Why shouldn't they be willing to prime your financial pump?

Go to Top of Page

JohnOAS
SFN Regular

Australia
800 Posts

Posted - 05/08/2007 :  19:13:12   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit JohnOAS's Homepage Send JohnOAS a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Good stories and comments.

I get bucketloads of the standard boring spam, but I've had a couple recently I've not had before.

I was thinking of having a spam-of-the-day page on a site somewehre, but I'm sure someone's already done it, and I'm probably too busy/lazy to maintain it, and would just ending up posting them to an internet forum somewhere.

This one amused me today:

quote:
Good day, my gentleman

Let's be realists, I understand that you receive letters from many beautiful women, of course if this would be a matter of my will I would block your mailbox and you would receive only my
letters and you wouldn't have other choice as to get married with me)))) of course I am just kidding, but we all know that there is a part of truth in any joke
So, I think that if I would choose you I would try to do my best not to please you, but to show you that next to me you will be completely happy and won't need to search any more. I know how to make surprises and holidays, I always
remember all the important events and dates.

I cook well. I would like my man to bring food at home and to give the biggest part to his beloved girl))) I want him to respect his baby, to be proud of her, and to be jealous of her
(maybe a little bit))). He will know how to make a dinner in the restaurant; will take his girl to the disco club, where he will dance a bit worse then she, but much better then other men))).
He takes care about the most difficult things (like making breakfast in the morning or opening the window at night when it's hot in the room))) if it's really necessary. If this is just another caprice of his sweetie he will put her
in her place))) he comes from work tired, but not angry, and his sweetie ask him to eat because she was cooking the whole day her new dish and was waiting for him to come and taste her new masterpiece))) and of course he likes this
dish, even if it's terrible)))

He plays cards and listens to the articles from the journals and newspapers his baby suggest to read together))) we both discuss plans for the next vacation, when I dream how I will make him a feet massage in a hot bath in the middle
of the hotel under the stars. And I, I love him endlessly, I dream about his arms, I dream a lot and finally I understand that I don't need to dream because all my dreams already came true, right the day I met him, the
one who looked at me and told me "You will be mine" and I melted and gave up)))

So, what do you think, is it possible to have such life? Is this your dream also? I think you should share your opinion with me because I know what you have on your mind and I want you to understand that nobody but me knows
better how to make you happy))) (Link removed)

John's just this guy, you know.
Go to Top of Page

H. Humbert
SFN Die Hard

USA
4574 Posts

Posted - 05/08/2007 :  20:32:21   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send H. Humbert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by JohnOAS
This one amused me today:

quote:
Good day, my gentleman

Let's be realists, I understand that you receive letters from many beautiful women, of course if this would be a matter of my will I would block your mailbox and you would receive only my
letters and you wouldn't have other choice as to get married with me)))) of course I am just kidding, but we all know that there is a part of truth in any joke
So, I think that if I would choose you I would try to do my best not to please you, but to show you that next to me you will be completely happy and won't need to search any more. I know how to make surprises and holidays, I always
remember all the important events and dates.

I cook well. I would like my man to bring food at home and to give the biggest part to his beloved girl))) I want him to respect his baby, to be proud of her, and to be jealous of her
(maybe a little bit))). He will know how to make a dinner in the restaurant; will take his girl to the disco club, where he will dance a bit worse then she, but much better then other men))).
He takes care about the most difficult things (like making breakfast in the morning or opening the window at night when it's hot in the room))) if it's really necessary. If this is just another caprice of his sweetie he will put her
in her place))) he comes from work tired, but not angry, and his sweetie ask him to eat because she was cooking the whole day her new dish and was waiting for him to come and taste her new masterpiece))) and of course he likes this
dish, even if it's terrible)))

He plays cards and listens to the articles from the journals and newspapers his baby suggest to read together))) we both discuss plans for the next vacation, when I dream how I will make him a feet massage in a hot bath in the middle
of the hotel under the stars. And I, I love him endlessly, I dream about his arms, I dream a lot and finally I understand that I don't need to dream because all my dreams already came true, right the day I met him, the
one who looked at me and told me "You will be mine" and I melted and gave up)))

So, what do you think, is it possible to have such life? Is this your dream also? I think you should share your opinion with me because I know what you have on your mind and I want you to understand that nobody but me knows
better how to make you happy))) (Link removed)

Nooooooooooooooooooooooo! She's perfect! You cannot deny our love!

"A man is his own easiest dupe, for what he wishes to be true he generally believes to be true." --Demosthenes

"The first principle is that you must not fool yourself - and you are the easiest person to fool." --Richard P. Feynman

"Face facts with dignity." --found inside a fortune cookie
Go to Top of Page

beskeptigal
SFN Die Hard

USA
3834 Posts

Posted - 05/09/2007 :  00:57:55   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send beskeptigal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I can't believe any of you bother with any of them, you just encourage more.

And some of them are just phishing. Your reply tells them it's a real address.

Go to Top of Page

JohnOAS
SFN Regular

Australia
800 Posts

Posted - 05/09/2007 :  05:42:30   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit JohnOAS's Homepage Send JohnOAS a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by beskeptigal

I can't believe any of you bother with any of them, you just encourage more.

And some of them are just phishing. Your reply tells them it's a real address.

Not entirely true. If you waste some of their time, and don't increase their profitability, their bottom line gets closer to zero. Eventually that's got to make the whole deal less attractive.

Of course, in principle you are correct, it's generally a bad idea to feed the trolls.

Hey, H., send me your bank account details and I'll have Julia (perhaps not her real name) contact you.

John's just this guy, you know.
Go to Top of Page

the_ignored
SFN Addict

2562 Posts

Posted - 05/17/2007 :  13:38:27   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send the_ignored a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I think I should have taken beskeptigal's advice. Holy crap, I'm getting a lot of those now!

I never got around to trying to yank the chain of the first guy too much, I just lost interest. I was looking forward to threatening to sic the police on him the instant he asked me for banking information or any other kind of info that would let them mess me up.

As it was, I lost my ability to give a crap before he could even get to that point. Now I just delete.

However, in the spirit of keeping you all amused, I did reply to another one!

---------------------------------------------------------
<my reply>
Dear sir:

Your story needs more sex. Either that, or I need to increase my attention span.</my reply>

original email
"Mr.Stewart Barculo" <jelg@innova.net> wrote:

Standard Life House,
30 Lothian Road,
Edinburgh EH1 2DH

Good day,

I am Stewart Barculo, Staff of Standard Life Bank Limited.I am contacting
you concerning a deceased customer and an investment he placed under our
banks management Seven years ago.I would respectfully request that you
keep the contents of this mail confidential and respect the integrity of
the information you come by as a result of this mail.

I contacted you independently of our investigation and no one is informed
of this communication. I would like to intimate you with certain facts
that I believe would be of interest to you.In 2000, the subject matter;
came to our bank to engage in business discussions with our private
banking division. He informed us that he had a financial portfolio of
Fifty million united states dollars,which he wished to have us turn over
(invest) on his behalf.I was the officer assigned to his case, I made
numerous suggestions in line with my duties as the De-facto chief
operations officer of the private banking sector, especially given the
volume of funds he wished to put into our bank. We met on numerous
occasions prior to any investments being placed. I encouraged him to
consider various growth funds with prime ratings. The favoured route in
my advise to customers is to start by assessing data on 6000 traditional
stocks and bond managers and 2000 managers of alternative investments.
Based on my advice, We spun the money around various opportunities and
made attractive margins for our first months of operation, the accrued
profit and interest stood at this point at over ten million United
States Dollars, this margin was not the full potential of the fund but he
desired low risk guaranteed returns on investments.

In mid 2001, he asked that the money be liquidated because he needed to
make an urgent investment requiring cash payments in here in the united
kingdom. He directed that I liquidate the funds and deposit it with a
security firm. I informed him that STANDARD LIFE BANK LIMITED would have
to make special arrangements to have this done and in order not to
circumvent due process, the bank would have to make a 9.5 % deduction from
the funds to cater for banking and statutory charges. He complained about
the charges but later came around when I explained to him the complexities
of the task he was asking of us. Cash movement across boarders has become
especially strict since the incidents of 9/11. I contacted my affiliate
and made the funds available to the security firm. I undertook all the
processes and made sure I followed his precise instructions to the letter
and had the funds deposited with the security firm. The Security Firm is a
specialist private firm that accepts deposits from high net worth
individuals and blue chip corporations that handle valuable products or
undertake transactions that need immediate access to cash. This small and
highly private organization is familiar especially to the highly placed
and well-connected organizations. In line with instructions, the money
was deposited with the security firm.

The deceased t

(excerpt follows):
>
>

Edited by - the_ignored on 05/17/2007 13:39:55
Go to Top of Page

Kil
Evil Skeptic

USA
13476 Posts

Posted - 07/03/2008 :  12:13:03   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Kil's Homepage  Send Kil an AOL message  Send Kil a Yahoo! Message Send Kil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I dunno Ig. The letter looks pretty convincing to me...

Here is an email conversation that I had with a Ms Christel , who spammed SFN.

Uncertainty may make you uncomfortable. Certainty makes you ridiculous.

Why not question something for a change?

Genetic Literacy Project
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.42 seconds.