Bush apparently did receive a Purple Heart
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Chippewa
SFN Regular

USA
1496 Posts

Posted - 05/02/2007 :  02:19:53  Show Profile  Visit Chippewa's Homepage Send Chippewa a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Last week Bill Maher stated on his HBO show that George Bush was recently given a Purple Heart by a Vietnam vet in a ceremony within the Oval office. (Vets are great but there's bound to be a delusional person in any group.) The Vietnam veteran, Bill Thomas gave him the medal because he felt Bush was suffering psychologically from criticism. Bush was apparently thrilled to get it.

The story was hardly reported by the national media probably because the Virginia Tech massacre happened the same day.

There was a story from the vet's hometown newspaper and it seems that Bush actually accepted the medal, which is only to be awarded to soldiers wounded in battle. Bill Maher suggested Bush should have not accepted it and made other arrangements. He would have if he knew what graciousness is or at least had a sense of decency. But he doesn't.

Here's some local news on this sad affair:

http://www.kdhnews.com/news/story.aspx?id=15367

http://adserver1.harvestadsdepot.com/kleendaylee/ss/062066/001/001_012/001_012.jpg

According to Mr. Thomas, Bush did manage to say he didn't feel like he had earned it. But he did nevertheless, accept it.

In the last election, Bush's sleazy toadies and psychopathic sycophants mocked John Kerry's actual Purple Heart and tried to cast doubts as to if Kerry really earned it. Regardless of how disappointing or lackluster Kerry's campaign was, he didn't deserve his war record being mocked. So the gloves came off as they always do with the Bush crime family. Bush himself was AWOL while in the National Guard and a drunken frat boy during Vietnam. Just further proof that this fake president of ours has not grown up and is now an insult to all our troops. He has no idea at all about life, death, honor and the future of this country. No other politician in living memory is as hopelessly vile.

Diversity, independence, innovation and imagination are progressive concepts ultimately alien to the conservative mind.

"TAX AND SPEND" IS GOOD! (TAX: Wealthy corporations who won't go poor even after taxes. SPEND: On public works programs, education, the environment, improvements.)

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 05/02/2007 :  02:35:24   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Bush doesn't deserve to be within spitting distance of a Purple Heart any more than does Jane Fonda. And Jane at least had the courage of her convictions, and went to the war zone. More importantly, he should not be in a position to force braver men and women to earn them.

The man is a walking disgrace and obscenity. Too bad for this and other countries that he didn't earn the Congressional Medal of Honor the way most recipients do, posthumously.

Biology is just physics that has begun to smell bad.” —HalfMooner
Here's a link to Moonscape News, and one to its Archive.
Edited by - HalfMooner on 05/02/2007 02:38:01
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 05/02/2007 :  04:10:18   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I read about that... I laughed, I cried, I snapped my lunch all over the keyboard.

The medal is Thomas' to do with as he pleases. It is unfortunate that he has chosen to cheapen it by giving it to such a craven, military deserter. Giving it to Bush was more parody than award.

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

Gorgo
SFN Die Hard

USA
5310 Posts

Posted - 05/02/2007 :  05:56:18   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Gorgo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Jane Fonda may or may not have been much more than a rich, pretty actress caught up in the times, but she deserves more respect than any U.S. commander-in-chief that I can think of.

http://www.thenation.com/docprint.mhtml?i=20040322&s=hayden

I know the rent is in arrears
The dog has not been fed in years
It's even worse than it appears
But it's alright-
Jerry Garcia
Robert Hunter

Go to Top of Page

Orwellingly Yurz
SFN Regular

USA
529 Posts

Posted - 05/02/2007 :  11:12:41   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Orwellingly Yurz a Private Message  Reply with Quote
YO! A great thread addition here in the politics niche, Chief Chippy. Our "leader" is always getting his wires crossed, isn't he?

His reaction quote to receiving the Purple Heart from the Texas Viet Nam vet is a non sequitir. "I don't think I earned it" should be what he said following the 2000 presidential election which he "won" 5 to 4, according to the Supreme Court.

Talk about a Banana Republican't!

Orwellingly Yurz. OY!

"The modern conservative...is engaged in one of man's oldest exercises in moral philosophy. That is the search for a superior moral justification for selfishness."
--John Kenneth Galbraith

If dogs run free
Then what must be,
Must be...
And that is all
--Bob Dylan

The neo-cons have gotten welfare for themselves down to a fine art.
--me

"The meek shall inherit the earth, but not the mineral rights."
--J. Paul Getty

"The great thing about Art isn't what it give us, but what we become through it."
--Oscar Wilde

"We have Art in order not to die of life."
--Albert Camus

"I cling like a miser to the freedom I lose when surrounded by an abundance of things."
--Albert Camus

"Experience is the name so many people give to their mistakes."
--Oscar Wilde
Edited by - Orwellingly Yurz on 05/02/2007 11:14:33
Go to Top of Page

Gorgo
SFN Die Hard

USA
5310 Posts

Posted - 05/02/2007 :  12:24:43   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Gorgo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
"I don't think I earned it" should be what he said following the 2000 presidential election which he "won" 5 to 4, according to the Supreme Court.

Good point, OY. What has the man ever actually earned?

I know the rent is in arrears
The dog has not been fed in years
It's even worse than it appears
But it's alright-
Jerry Garcia
Robert Hunter

Go to Top of Page

Dude
SFN Die Hard

USA
6891 Posts

Posted - 05/02/2007 :  12:32:15   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Dude a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Gorgo asked:
quote:
What has the man ever actually earned?

The scorn and derision of the world, including most US citizens?

I'd say he's earned that.

Ignorance is preferable to error; and he is less remote from the truth who believes nothing, than he who believes what is wrong.
-- Thomas Jefferson

"god :: the last refuge of a man with no answers and no argument." - G. Carlin

Hope, n.
The handmaiden of desperation; the opiate of despair; the illegible signpost on the road to perdition. ~~ da filth
Go to Top of Page

Chippewa
SFN Regular

USA
1496 Posts

Posted - 05/02/2007 :  15:45:18   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Chippewa's Homepage Send Chippewa a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I imagine by the time Bush leaves office*, he will have accumulated enough medals to match any self-respecting generalissimo dictator. (Or Billy Gilbert in Chaplin's "The Great Dictator"). (A slight suggestion to HalfMooner's photoshop skills.)

* If he doesn't find a way to suspend elections and stay in indefinitely. (Which would also be in line with a generalissimo.)

Diversity, independence, innovation and imagination are progressive concepts ultimately alien to the conservative mind.

"TAX AND SPEND" IS GOOD! (TAX: Wealthy corporations who won't go poor even after taxes. SPEND: On public works programs, education, the environment, improvements.)
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 05/02/2007 :  15:55:18   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Chippewa

I imagine by the time Bush leaves office*, he will have accumulated enough medals to match any self-respecting generalissimo dictator. (Or Billy Gilbert in Chaplin's "The Great Dictator"). (A slight suggestion to HalfMooner's photoshop skills.)

* If he doesn't find a way to suspend elections and stay in indefinitely. (Which would also be in line with a generalissimo.)

Nice idea. I have not yet found my copy of Photoshop, to install it on my new computer. "Paint" pales by comparison.

Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26021 Posts

Posted - 05/02/2007 :  18:44:01   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by HalfMooner

Nice idea. I have not yet found my copy of Photoshop, to install it on my new computer. "Paint" pales by comparison.
There's always GIMP.

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Why not question something for a change?
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 05/02/2007 :  23:46:16   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dave W.

quote:
Originally posted by HalfMooner

There's always GIMP.

Downloading now, thank you! (Hope it works with Vista!)

Go to Top of Page

beskeptigal
SFN Die Hard

USA
3834 Posts

Posted - 05/03/2007 :  03:55:16   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send beskeptigal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The Pres was moved and wanted it presented in a photo op person. What a scumbag. And here the guy who gave it to Bush got it after losing a lung and a friend. The irony of Bush skipping the draft during that time only makes it sicker.

The article on Fonda is very relevant. People prefer their fantasies and distractions to having to face the truth. The President is disgusting beyond words, Fonda wasn't what many people believe, Kerry's description of shooting indiscriminately and our indiscriminate bombing without regard to civilian death both then and now is the real tragedy. There's no way Bush's getting his 'feelings hurt' from criticism of his actions is a war wound. It almost sounds like it was intended to be sarcastic, if the vet hadn't gone and presented it personally and made it clear the he was serious.

What a sad story someone who suffered such a serious injury in Vietnam would be fooled yet again by another President sending someone else and someone else's kids to fight in yet another useless war.

Edited by - beskeptigal on 05/03/2007 03:56:58
Go to Top of Page

Valiant Dancer
Forum Goalie

USA
4826 Posts

Posted - 05/04/2007 :  20:57:27   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Valiant Dancer's Homepage Send Valiant Dancer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Oh, please let him wear it in public. Oh please. Oh please. Oh please.

It'd be a crime. An actual impeachable offense.

Cthulhu/Asmodeus when you're tired of voting for the lesser of two evils

Brother Cutlass of Reasoned Discussion
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.36 seconds.