New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 15

JEROME DA GNOME
BANNED

2418 Posts

Posted - 05/13/2007 :  19:08:15   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send JEROME DA GNOME a Private Message
Hondo---The data supplied by the ipcc does not fit with the conclusions drawn and reported in the media.

The purpose would be to exise global tax from the people WITH their consent.

What a man believes upon grossly insufficient evidence is an index into his desires -- desires of which he himself is often unconscious. If a man is offered a fact which goes against his instincts, he will scrutinize it closely, and unless the evidence is overwhelming, he will refuse to believe it. If, on the other hand, he is offered something which affords a reason for acting in accordance to his instincts, he will accept it even on the slightest evidence. The origin of myths is explained in this way. - Bertrand Russell
Go to Top of Page

JEROME DA GNOME
BANNED

2418 Posts

Posted - 05/13/2007 :  19:09:37   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send JEROME DA GNOME a Private Message
Hondo---i answered in less than a minute.

Hows that for fast

What a man believes upon grossly insufficient evidence is an index into his desires -- desires of which he himself is often unconscious. If a man is offered a fact which goes against his instincts, he will scrutinize it closely, and unless the evidence is overwhelming, he will refuse to believe it. If, on the other hand, he is offered something which affords a reason for acting in accordance to his instincts, he will accept it even on the slightest evidence. The origin of myths is explained in this way. - Bertrand Russell
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 05/13/2007 :  19:10:30   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message
Originally posted by JEROME DA GNOME

Dave you repiled to a question with a question.

Why would the data be hidden in a chart that compares 42years to 10 years?

Is it possible that the data is being hidden or are the scientist not very good?

I am open for another resonable explaination.
I asked you to present the explanation given in the report you claim to have been reading. Instead, you present a false dichotomy in which both choices defame the scientists who wrote the report. You seem to have no interest whatsoever in the science, your sole purpose here appears to be to make illogical, unsupported, politically motivated assertions against the people involved. Probably because (as you've already demonstrated beyond reasonable doubt) you're too scientifically illiterate to make a convincing argument against the science itself.

And again I ask: where is your evidence that any scientific conclusions have been compromised? The fact that people can be compromised isn't good enough for a court of law (otherwise every prisoner should be let free), so it certainly isn't good enough for a scientific discussion where the standards for "truth" are much, much higher. So where is the evidence?

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Why not question something for a change?
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 05/13/2007 :  19:11:51   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message

Atomic are you trying to turn this post twords name calling?
You already started the name-calling. Don't try to shift that particular blame onto someone else.

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Why not question something for a change?
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.
Go to Top of Page

JEROME DA GNOME
BANNED

2418 Posts

Posted - 05/13/2007 :  19:21:01   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send JEROME DA GNOME a Private Message
Dave ----have you read the ipcc report?

Or do you, apeal to authority and trust without reading the data for yourself.

Please look at the data supplied and show me what scientific porposes would be severed by comparing 10 years of data to 42 years of data.

I have presented this infomation from the ipcc to debate; as of yet no one has taken the challange.

Dave you claim "false dichotomy" when i clearly stated "I am open for another resonable explaination" which you quoted.

Now dave you know that was not fair to accuse me of presenting a false dichotomy when your quote of me proves your assertion false.

Go to Top of Page

JEROME DA GNOME
BANNED

2418 Posts

Posted - 05/13/2007 :  19:22:38   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send JEROME DA GNOME a Private Message
Dave-- could you please quote me as name calling.

I do not seem to recall.

Or is this another attempt to not talk about the data in the ipcc reports?

Go to Top of Page

Hondo

USA
25 Posts

Posted - 05/13/2007 :  19:35:00   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Hondo a Private Message
OK.

I do think global warming, ala Gore, is rather sensationalist and heavy on the immanent gloom & doom fear-mongering we get from Hollywood and it's premise is overly reliant on man-made causation, but I do think we should try to cut back. CO2 isn't a good thing in anyone's lungs. The only "scam" I see is the presumption that CO2 emissions are OK for some countries, not others. Take the Kyoto Protocol for example. Let's either be serious about air pollution or not.. no economic byes.
Go to Top of Page

Hondo

USA
25 Posts

Posted - 05/13/2007 :  19:45:18   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Hondo a Private Message
Gnome, you do realize your "tax" is predicated on people universally buying in to the imminent 'doom & gloom' don't you? Hasn't happened yet. I don't think it will. There will always be people like me that don't let their politics get in the way of common sense and science.
Go to Top of Page

JEROME DA GNOME
BANNED

2418 Posts

Posted - 05/13/2007 :  19:45:24   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send JEROME DA GNOME a Private Message
Hondo--- I agree that we all should promote the enviroment.

Keep in mind that co2 is the food of plants.

Plants produce oxegen for animals.

Go to Top of Page

JEROME DA GNOME
BANNED

2418 Posts

Posted - 05/13/2007 :  19:48:45   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send JEROME DA GNOME a Private Message
Hondo---I does not bother me one way or the other. The taxes will always come when the government needs.

I just find it amusing that sooo many believe (much like religion) without looking at the facts.

Go to Top of Page

Hondo

USA
25 Posts

Posted - 05/13/2007 :  20:00:51   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Hondo a Private Message
What's your point here? If it's skepticism about the degree we supposedly play in global warming, I share it. If it's anything more, then we'll have to discuss it. Outside of weird-ass, hypocritical liberal "carbon quotas," I really don't see a "scam" afoot and don't think this pro-CO2 administration is about to tax us and start one.
Go to Top of Page

Dr. Mabuse
Septic Fiend

Sweden
9687 Posts

Posted - 05/13/2007 :  20:02:18   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Dr. Mabuse an ICQ Message Send Dr. Mabuse a Private Message
...apeal to authority...

An Appeal to Authority isn't a logical fallacy when the appeal is to experts in the field.
Neither you nor me can be considered experts in climatology, even if we read the entire IPCC-report, that's why an appeal can be approrpriate.

Dr. Mabuse - "When the going gets tough, the tough get Duct-tape..."
Dr. Mabuse whisper.mp3

"Equivocation is not just a job, for a creationist it's a way of life..." Dr. Mabuse

Support American Troops in Iraq:
Send them unarmed civilians for target practice..
Collateralmurder.
Go to Top of Page

JEROME DA GNOME
BANNED

2418 Posts

Posted - 05/13/2007 :  20:10:38   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send JEROME DA GNOME a Private Message
Mabuse---Are you stating that you read the report and did not understand it, therefore you are trusting the governmental agents that the ipcc descibes as doing the final review?

Hondo---That is my point:"skepticism about the degree we supposedly play in global warming"

Its almost like a religion:

Why do you beleive that way?

Because the book tells me so.

What does the book say?

The preacher tells me what it says.

Why dont you read the book yourself?

Because the preacher already told me what it says.

Go to Top of Page

Hondo

USA
25 Posts

Posted - 05/13/2007 :  20:23:05   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Hondo a Private Message
Just to clarify:

Skepticism about the causation of global warming is fine IMO, I think it's cyclical myself and it would happen no matter what we did. That's my opinion and I allow that I can be wrong. I'm against air pollution anyway.

Where's the "scam" you mentioned factor in?
Go to Top of Page

Cuneiformist
The Imperfectionist

USA
4955 Posts

Posted - 05/13/2007 :  20:28:59   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Cuneiformist a Private Message
It seems to me that there's a huge error in logic here. In particular, the arguments for man-made global warming far transcend one single report. Rather, they have been put forward for years now in various journals and books. If one were to posit a giant conspiracy, one would have to look back at myriad data from myriad sources and try to find the governmental hand in all of them-- an unlikely scenario, no?
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 15 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.19 seconds.