Wildfire question
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Cuneiformist
The Imperfectionist

USA
4955 Posts

Posted - 05/16/2007 :  17:43:43  Show Profile Send Cuneiformist a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm sure we've all listened to reports over the years on the news about wildfires. Invariably, the size of the fire is given in acres. (E.g. here, here, and so on.) I've personally always thought this to be rather stupid, since most people have no idea what an acre actually is. (Perhaps it's just me though-- I have no idea (without checking) just how large 5 (or 10, or 20) acres is!)

Conversely, most people have some idea of what a mile-- and by extension, a square mile-- is. (Though perhaps I'm giving the average person too much credit; would they say that 100 square miles is a square that's 100x100 or 10x10?)

In any case, it struck me as odd today when I read this article about the fires in New Jersey:
Firefighters battling a wildfire that apparently began when a military jet dropped a flare on a bombing range hoped a strong storm in the forecast Wednesday would help douse the flames.

But they also carefully eyed high winds, which could cause the 20-square-mile fire in the central part of the state to spread
The report on NPR also used square miles.

So what gives? Why the switch? Anyone else notice this?

JohnOAS
SFN Regular

Australia
800 Posts

Posted - 05/16/2007 :  19:28:12   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit JohnOAS's Homepage Send JohnOAS a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Cuneiformist

I'm sure we've all listened to reports over the years on the news about wildfires. Invariably, the size of the fire is given in acres. (E.g. "here, here, and so on.) I've personally always thought this to be rather stupid, since most people have no idea what an acre actually is. (Perhaps it's just me though-- I have no idea (without checking) just how large 5 (or 10, or 20) acres is!)

Conversely, most people have some idea of what a mile-- and by extension, a square mile-- is. (Though perhaps I'm giving the average person too much credit; would they say that 100 square miles is a square that's 100x100 or 10x10?)

In any case, it struck me as odd today when I read this article about the fires in New Jersey:
Firefighters battling a wildfire that apparently began when a military jet dropped a flare on a bombing range hoped a strong storm in the forecast Wednesday would help douse the flames.

But they also carefully eyed high winds, which could cause the 20-square-mile fire in the central part of the state to spread
The report on NPR also used square miles.

Australia uses SI metric units for the most part. The kilometres / miles things aside, area is one subject where the terminology used is somewhat inconsistent. Also, we dont have wildfires, we have bushfires (not brushfires, although that term is used occasionally).

I think part of it is the confusion between "metres squared" and "square meters". People often say one when they mean the other, or aren't aware that there is any difference.

For us metric folk, the problem is exacerbated by the fact that most people I know don't really think in terms of hectares, the SI unit, which is 10 000m2 or a square area 100m on a side.

I got an appreciation for what an acre was via my parent who always talked about land in those terms, and 1, 1/2 and 1/4 acre blocks are something many of us have a personal association with, although real estate agents do now list blocks in m2 by default these days.

I'm 35, so I'd be interested in hearing about what terms people who've been through the education system more recently than I, think in. Internally, I tend to convert anything into a square area of a particular dimension, but I don't really have much cause to think about geographic areas all that often.

My apologies that my little rant doesn't really address your question, but it did make me think, and I thought why not share it (inflict it upon?) the rest of SFN?

Actually I just did a quick survey of recent articles, and bushfires generally are reported in hectares. There are 259 hectares in a square mile. (A good conversion site I use a lot)

John's just this guy, you know.
Go to Top of Page

Dr. Mabuse
Septic Fiend

Sweden
9687 Posts

Posted - 05/17/2007 :  12:43:07   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Dr. Mabuse an ICQ Message Send Dr. Mabuse a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Why that particular switch?
Why not change to metric while you're at it?

Dr. Mabuse - "When the going gets tough, the tough get Duct-tape..."
Dr. Mabuse whisper.mp3

"Equivocation is not just a job, for a creationist it's a way of life..." Dr. Mabuse

Support American Troops in Iraq:
Send them unarmed civilians for target practice..
Collateralmurder.
Go to Top of Page

Cuneiformist
The Imperfectionist

USA
4955 Posts

Posted - 05/17/2007 :  12:51:39   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Cuneiformist a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Dr. Mabuse

Why that particular switch?
Why not change to metric while you're at it?
The metric question is a larger one, Mab. I was just wondering if anyone else had noticed that the description of this fire wasn't in acres, as virtually every other one I'd read about was. But perhaps it was something minor...
Go to Top of Page

beskeptigal
SFN Die Hard

USA
3834 Posts

Posted - 05/17/2007 :  18:47:46   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send beskeptigal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I noticed hearing sq miles re a fire size recently and was pleased. Then it seemed to be back to acres. I paid it no more than passing attention though.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds.