My son's friend's dad is missing.
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

beskeptigal
SFN Die Hard

USA
3834 Posts

Posted - 05/21/2007 :  02:01:55  Show Profile Send beskeptigal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Things have been sad around this house the last couple of days. Mike's girlfriend left him and now this:

Rescuers call off search for runner missing on Cougar Mountain

The thing is, Cougar mountain is pretty well traveled. It's on the edge of the suburbs here so this isn't like some wilderness trek or anything. In other words you can't really get lost so he has to be hurt or dead. It's really awful.

Anyway, just felt better to share. I've only met the kid once or twice but he's in my son's group of friends. They all gathered at the boy's house last night. I'm sure some people will keep looking. But the fact they couldn't see anything with the heat detector flying overhead is just not good.

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 05/21/2007 :  03:37:37   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Not good at all, but those heat dectection devices are not the be-all, end-all that they are cracked up to be in searching for a missing person. They can get lots of false readings from wildlife, and the gentleman could be injured and holed up somewhere that he has a little shelter and his body heat doesn't radiate out very well.

I'd not give up just on the basis of that.

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 05/21/2007 :  05:12:22   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, I hope for the best. Filthy's right, it's too early to give up hope, and almost impossible to really gauge the odds.

Biology is just physics that has begun to smell bad.” —HalfMooner
Here's a link to Moonscape News, and one to its Archive.
Go to Top of Page

beskeptigal
SFN Die Hard

USA
3834 Posts

Posted - 05/21/2007 :  13:38:55   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send beskeptigal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It is too early but the official search is not resuming, I guess. I wish it was still the weekend. The family is going to continue searching. How could you not? Mike had school tests today but we may just all go looking tomorrow despite other obligations.

Go to Top of Page

beskeptigal
SFN Die Hard

USA
3834 Posts

Posted - 05/22/2007 :  00:12:26   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send beskeptigal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
THEY FOUND HIM. HE WAS WELL ENOUGH TO, GET THIS, WALK HOME.

He walked home! I have no details yet. I don't know what happened or if he walked home because they had taken his car home. Guess I'll find out tomorrow.
Go to Top of Page

Starman
SFN Regular

Sweden
1613 Posts

Posted - 05/22/2007 :  00:54:31   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Starman a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Good to hear!

"Any religion that makes a form of torture into an icon that they worship seems to me a pretty sick sort of religion quite honestly"
-- Terry Jones
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 05/22/2007 :  03:25:52   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Great! Like I discovered the other night, we have a powerful homing instinct that often will bring us back even when dazed. Details when available, please!

Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 05/22/2007 :  03:32:43   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
!!

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

Edited by - filthy on 05/22/2007 03:33:50
Go to Top of Page

beskeptigal
SFN Die Hard

USA
3834 Posts

Posted - 05/22/2007 :  16:33:35   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send beskeptigal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Missing Issaquah man returns home, says he fell into ravine
Schreck said he had run from Cougar Mountain, between Newcastle and Bellevue, , to Squak Mountain, south of Issaquah, and, Urquhart said, subsequently "fell into a ravine."

Schreck said he "hit his head and was knocked unconscious."

Sometime later, Schreck said, he came to, rolled under a log, and covered himself with leaves.

Schreck said he then got water from a creek and walked back to Cougar Mountain to get his Ford Explorer. It had been towed, so he walked home, a distance of about five miles.

Beyond that, Urquhart said, Schreck has no further memory of his ordeal. He appeared to be uninjured, was in good health, and did not need to be hospitalized.
I'm not sure what to think here. I've seen people with head injuries and the loss of consciousness is usually caused by brain swelling. In such a case where you would be out for more than 24 hours (let alone 3 days) your brain returns to normal slowly, not all at once. If he is dazed and confused for a few days, it's a credible story. If he was perfectly normal upon arriving home, one has to wonder where he recovered. Was it over the time it took to get back? I'm not the expert so I await more info from the kids. I haven't heard anything more than the news last night via an email to my son that he got back and this news story today so far.

Edited by - beskeptigal on 05/22/2007 16:33:59
Go to Top of Page

beskeptigal
SFN Die Hard

USA
3834 Posts

Posted - 05/23/2007 :  12:20:12   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send beskeptigal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Here's the final update unless anything else develops which there is no reason to think will.

He fell down a ravine and had a semi-serious head injury. He was unconscious for somewhere between one and three days. He was in an area they weren't searching. (Which is a shame because common sense would have said to search there, it's a connected park and has similar terrain. It's where the family was searching after the official search was called off.)

Anyway, he woke up but was too weak to climb out of the ravine so he stayed there as the news account says. This is where it makes sense and actually does fit the clinical picture. With a serious head injury, as you recover, you are sleepy for a day or more as the brain swelling goes down. So he was probably awake off and on for quite a while after the injury. At the same time he may not really remember being awake off and on until he reached a certain point. So he might think he was unconscious for 2 or 3 days when it could have actually been even as short as a few hours. But that recovery time where he was groggy and couldn't really get back out to the trail could have easily lasted a couple of days.

Also, interestingly enough, the fact it rained and was cool actually was beneficial. As long as you don't die of hypothermia, it has a protective effect on a damaged brain. The slower metabolism decreases brain damage from free radicals which circulate with the tissue injury. These free radicals are specifically harmful to brain cells.

Weird story, happy ending.

Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 05/23/2007 :  15:36:48   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
That is just so cool! It's almost as though the man's body and brain were evolved over billions of years to handle such emergencies.

Either that, or he was really spending a few days with some hoochie.

Edited by - HalfMooner on 05/23/2007 15:41:09
Go to Top of Page

beskeptigal
SFN Die Hard

USA
3834 Posts

Posted - 05/23/2007 :  16:10:14   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send beskeptigal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Lots of people are going to believe the 'hoochie' explanation. Having seen one kid in particular in the hospital who had been smacked with a baseball bat and who slept off and on for more than 24 hours, I actually think the story as reported is completely consistent with the physiology of such an injury.

Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 05/23/2007 :  18:29:56   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hoochie hypotheses are more interesting that boring medical reality, anyway.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.09 seconds.