Wi-Fi health risk
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Vegeta
Skeptic Friend

United Kingdom
238 Posts

Posted - 05/21/2007 :  16:45:05  Show Profile Send Vegeta a Private Message  Reply with Quote
http://www.bit-tech.net/news/2007/04/23/Pressure_for_investigation_into_wifi_health_risks/

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/6676129.stm

Seems to be the same fears associated with mobile phones. From what I understand, the type of radiation used for the mobile phone network and wireless internet passes through the human body without any interaction, (better be anyway, I've been running a wireless router in my house non-stop for a year). Although it seems quite hard to find any detailed scientific analysis of this amongst all the news stories and general paranoia websites.

Some scientists fear that Wi-Fi can cause cancer and premature senility

I'd be interested to hear what empirical evidence these fears are based on. There seems to be so much anecdotal and testamonial evidence, e.g. a friend of mine says his head tingles whenever his wi-fi is on, he and his daughter swear by this.

Most TV news broadcasts simply report the same thing basically "scientists say its safe", with no actual scientific background. Its this kind of dumbing down IMO that causes people to mistrust 'science'. If they made an effort to explain the term 'radiation', including how various waves of different wavelengths/frequencies affect the human body and how some forms are harmful and why some are not then maybe more people would understand the situation. It certainly can't be a bad thing to raise awareness.

What are you looking at? Haven't you ever seen a pink shirt before?

"I was asked if I would do a similar sketch but focusing on the shortcomings of Islam rather than Christianity. I said, 'No, no I wouldn't. I may be an atheist but I'm not stupid.'" - Steward Lee

Ricky
SFN Die Hard

USA
4907 Posts

Posted - 05/21/2007 :  17:00:58   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Ricky an AOL message Send Ricky a Private Message  Reply with Quote
There seems to be so much anecdotal and testamonial evidence, e.g. a friend of mine says his head tingles whenever his wi-fi is on, he and his daughter swear by this.

That isn't really even testimonial evidence (if you consider such a thing as evidence). I could run a low voltage current through my hand and it would be tingly, but it ain't gonna give me cancer. You don't "feel" yourself getting cancer.

If they made an effort to explain the term 'radiation', including how various waves of different wavelengths/frequencies affect the human body and how some forms are harmful and why some are not then maybe more people would understand the situation.

Perhaps it's a good thing that people don't look to get their education from the news. Given how bad they are at the news itself, it's probably best they don't attempt something outside their field, i.e. education.

Why continue? Because we must. Because we have the call. Because it is nobler to fight for rationality without winning than to give up in the face of continued defeats. Because whatever true progress humanity makes is through the rationality of the occasional individual and because any one individual we may win for the cause may do more for humanity than a hundred thousand who hug their superstitions to their breast.
- Isaac Asimov
Edited by - Ricky on 05/21/2007 17:01:38
Go to Top of Page

Vegeta
Skeptic Friend

United Kingdom
238 Posts

Posted - 05/21/2007 :  17:14:15   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Vegeta a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Perhaps it's a good thing that people don't look to get their education from the news. Given how bad they are at the news itself, it's probably best they don't attempt something outside their field, i.e. education

I didn't say give a BAD explanation, but I can understand your lack of confidence.

I think the majority of people would not bother to try to educate themselves, and with many people, "My friends said..." carries more weight than "Scientists say...". A lot of people distrust anything like that. If they had a better understanding, then they could see the same picture the scientists do rather than feeling like they are the victims of spin. So instead of having to put their trust in some nameless scientist, they could rely on their own judgements.

Perhaps it could be argued that its up the individual to overcome their own ignorance, but I don't think that is practical, I'd rather at least give them a nudge in the right direction.

What are you looking at? Haven't you ever seen a pink shirt before?

"I was asked if I would do a similar sketch but focusing on the shortcomings of Islam rather than Christianity. I said, 'No, no I wouldn't. I may be an atheist but I'm not stupid.'" - Steward Lee
Edited by - Vegeta on 05/21/2007 17:14:37
Go to Top of Page

Cuneiformist
The Imperfectionist

USA
4955 Posts

Posted - 05/21/2007 :  17:36:07   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Cuneiformist a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Maybe instead of cancer, Wi-Fi will give me super powers...
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26021 Posts

Posted - 05/21/2007 :  18:36:13   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Vegeta

There seems to be so much anecdotal and testamonial evidence, e.g. a friend of mine says his head tingles whenever his wi-fi is on, he and his daughter swear by this.
You should empirically test that for them. Go to his house, have him sit facing away from the device, while you flip a coin to determine whether to turn the thing on or off, and have him tell you whether it is or not. Best if he puts on heavy hearing protection, so he won't hear you flipping the switch (or you could just try to fake it).

My bet is that he gets about 50% right.

A dirtier trick would be to unplug the thing while he's not looking, so you can flip the switch with wild abandon, but never turn it on, and if his head ever tingles, then you and he will know that the effect is at least partially psychological.

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Why not question something for a change?
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.
Go to Top of Page

Ricky
SFN Die Hard

USA
4907 Posts

Posted - 05/21/2007 :  19:25:41   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Ricky an AOL message Send Ricky a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You should empirically test that for them...

You don't even have to go that far Dave. If he even agrees to let you try something on him which he thinks is giving him cancer, then you already know he doesn't actually think it's giving him cancer.

Why continue? Because we must. Because we have the call. Because it is nobler to fight for rationality without winning than to give up in the face of continued defeats. Because whatever true progress humanity makes is through the rationality of the occasional individual and because any one individual we may win for the cause may do more for humanity than a hundred thousand who hug their superstitions to their breast.
- Isaac Asimov
Edited by - Ricky on 05/21/2007 19:25:53
Go to Top of Page

Valiant Dancer
Forum Goalie

USA
4826 Posts

Posted - 05/21/2007 :  20:27:10   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Valiant Dancer's Homepage Send Valiant Dancer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Cuneiformist

Maybe instead of cancer, Wi-Fi will give me super powers...

Knowing your luck, you'll turn orange and rocky.

Cthulhu/Asmodeus when you're tired of voting for the lesser of two evils

Brother Cutlass of Reasoned Discussion
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 05/22/2007 :  03:46:17   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Heh. When I was getting a long series of X-rays for my Hodgkins Disease back in the mid-80's, it was on a dry, sunny day. The radiologist would retreat to a glassed-in booth to zap me. I could not see him or his actions from where I was set up for the X-rays. We communicated via an intercom. After he took a couple of shots of me, I mentioned that I could "feel" it each time. He didn't believe me, but asked that I raise a finger each time I was zapped. I did so for a good many more shots, and he was astounded that I'd raised my index finger at exactly the moments he'd operated the machine.

What I think I actually felt was a slight static-electricty effect from the equipment, as though all the tiny hairs on my body were raising at once, for a blink of a second during each X-ray. It was a very clear sensation. I've had many X-rays before and since, and have never, ever felt them, except that once. Maybe the atmospheric conditions were perfect that day.

It would indeed be interesting to try Dave's experiment! I'd make no bets at all.

Biology is just physics that has begun to smell bad.” —HalfMooner
Here's a link to Moonscape News, and one to its Archive.
Edited by - HalfMooner on 05/22/2007 03:46:48
Go to Top of Page

leoofno
Skeptic Friend

USA
346 Posts

Posted - 05/22/2007 :  07:06:14   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send leoofno a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by HalfMooner

Heh. When I was getting a long series of X-rays for my Hodgkins Disease back in the mid-80's, it was on a dry, sunny day. The radiologist would retreat to a glassed-in booth to zap me. I could not see him or his actions from where I was set up for the X-rays. We communicated via an intercom. After he took a couple of shots of me, I mentioned that I could "feel" it each time. He didn't believe me, but asked that I raise a finger each time I was zapped. I did so for a good many more shots, and he was astounded that I'd raised my index finger at exactly the moments he'd operated the machine.

What I think I actually felt was a slight static-electricty effect from the equipment, as though all the tiny hairs on my body were raising at once, for a blink of a second during each X-ray. It was a very clear sensation. I've had many X-rays before and since, and have never, ever felt them, except that once. Maybe the atmospheric conditions were perfect that day.

It would indeed be interesting to try Dave's experiment! I'd make no bets at all.

Which is why proper experiments need to be set up so carefully. Still, It would be a good first pass to see if there was any reason at all to go to the trouble.

"If you're not terrified, you're not paying attention." Eric Alterman
Go to Top of Page

perrodetokio
Skeptic Friend

275 Posts

Posted - 05/22/2007 :  08:58:42   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send perrodetokio a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Vegeta

Perhaps it's a good thing that people don't look to get their education from the news. Given how bad they are at the news itself, it's probably best they don't attempt something outside their field, i.e. education

I didn't say give a BAD explanation, but I can understand your lack of confidence.

I think the majority of people would not bother to try to educate themselves, and with many people, "My friends said..." carries more weight than "Scientists say...". A lot of people distrust anything like that. If they had a better understanding, then they could see the same picture the scientists do rather than feeling like they are the victims of spin. So instead of having to put their trust in some nameless scientist, they could rely on their own judgements.

Perhaps it could be argued that its up the individual to overcome their own ignorance, but I don't think that is practical, I'd rather at least give them a nudge in the right direction.

Youīre right. It wouldnīt be practical because most people (including scientists) donīt have enough time to become experts in every field. Thatīs why the majority have to rely on few experts. I think if (in general) someone tried to be an expert in everyfield, they would know a little of everything but could not be considered an expert in all of it. Thatīs what organisations are for. If I get ill and try to become an expert in my illness in order to treat myself, i would probably die before reaching the level of expertise requiered to succesfully treat my disease.

"Yes I have a belief in a creator/God but do not know that he exists." Bill Scott

"They are still mosquitoes! They did not turn into whales or lizards or anything else. They are still mosquitoes!..." Bill Scott

"We should have millions of missing links or transition fossils showing a fish turning into a philosopher..." Bill Scott
Go to Top of Page

pleco
SFN Addict

USA
2998 Posts

Posted - 05/22/2007 :  09:35:08   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit pleco's Homepage Send pleco a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Perhaps if you wore these on your head you won't get a tumor or become senile.

by Filthy
The neo-con methane machine will soon be running at full fart.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.11 seconds.