Religion
 The Dawkins Delusion
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Roddy

Panama
48 Posts

Posted - 05/24/2007 :  11:57:43  Show Profile  Visit Roddy's Homepage Send Roddy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Some Christian made this video called Dawkins Delusion:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QERyh9YYEis

The video is just audio. The guy who is talking sounds like Dawkins, but he is saying Dawkins does not exist using Dawkins' arguments for the existence of God.

For starters, I have seen Dawkins on television, and I can define Dawkins: Englishman who writes books, biologist, probably in his sixties, and very militant about his atheism. No one can define God like this. People would contradict themselves from one culture to another. And God isn't on television, and he hasn't written books, at least not by his own hand. Those books attributed to him were "ghost written" and don't agree with each other.

Kind of sad that Christians have been flagging all the Dawkins videos on youtube, but they haven't touched that one yet.

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 05/24/2007 :  12:30:13   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I posted this comment:
Theists are terrified of Richard Dawkins! By paraphrasing Dawkins, this recording is more clever and a bit funnier than most of the pathetic nonsense from theism's apologists, but by the end, it provides only insults, no arguments. Dawkins is left standing, while God is still a myth. I advise the listener to actually read The God Delusion to see the real arguments Dawkins presenst for atheism.

Biology is just physics that has begun to smell bad.” —HalfMooner
Here's a link to Moonscape News, and one to its Archive.
Edited by - HalfMooner on 05/24/2007 12:30:39
Go to Top of Page

nob_dammit

2 Posts

Posted - 05/31/2007 :  21:08:38   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send nob_dammit a Private Message  Reply with Quote
militant
adj.
Fighting or warring.
Having a combative character; aggressive, especially in the service of a cause: a militant political activist.

n. A fighting, warring, or aggressive person or party.

[Middle English, from Old French, from Latin m#299;lit#257;ns, m#299;litant-, present participle of m#299;lit#257;re, to serve as a soldier; see militate.]

mil'i·tance, mil'i·tan·cy n., mil'i·tant·ly adv.

The theists have made the use of "militant" as an adjective for atheists a common occurence. This label serves to give us a negative violent spin. Even if we use it ourselves with a milder definition in mind it will still support the theist implication of violence and aggressiveness. I went to a thesaurous to see if there were any less negative words that could be used in place of militant and there were only a couple that I would be comfortable using.

Synonyms: active, aggressive, assertive, assertory, bellicose, belligerent, combating, contending, contentious, embattled, fighting, gladiatorial, in arms, martial, militaristic, military, offensive, pugnacious, pushy, quarrelsome, scrappy, self-assertive, truculent, vigorous, warlike, warring

Active, assertive, self-assertive, and vigorous are the only ones I would consider using in reference to Dawkins. I don't intend to be snippy about the use of this word in the previous post. I just wanted to point it out and remind people how easy it is to repeat what we hear in the multitude of sound bytes that assault us every day.

Candygram for Mongo
Go to Top of Page

Dude
SFN Die Hard

USA
6891 Posts

Posted - 05/31/2007 :  21:20:49   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Dude a Private Message  Reply with Quote
How about "positive atheism".

Ignorance is preferable to error; and he is less remote from the truth who believes nothing, than he who believes what is wrong.
-- Thomas Jefferson

"god :: the last refuge of a man with no answers and no argument." - G. Carlin

Hope, n.
The handmaiden of desperation; the opiate of despair; the illegible signpost on the road to perdition. ~~ da filth
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 05/31/2007 :  23:58:30   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm for "militant." Hey, if the Methodists and the Quakers can come to accept and use the terms that were originally thrown at them by enemies, I can certainly accept "militant."

It's about time atheists militated.

Edited by - HalfMooner on 05/31/2007 23:59:05
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 06/01/2007 :  01:39:49   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by HalfMooner

I'm for "militant." Hey, if the Methodists and the Quakers can come to accept and use the terms that were originally thrown at them by enemies, I can certainly accept "militant."

It's about time atheists militated.

Better to militate than to millipede, I suppose, although neither are acceptable behavior at Milliway's.

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

Ricky
SFN Die Hard

USA
4907 Posts

Posted - 06/01/2007 :  10:02:17   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Ricky an AOL message Send Ricky a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I guess Dawkins is quite extraordinary, which is why you might need extraordinary evidence to prove his existence.

Gotta admit, pretty good parody though.

Why continue? Because we must. Because we have the call. Because it is nobler to fight for rationality without winning than to give up in the face of continued defeats. Because whatever true progress humanity makes is through the rationality of the occasional individual and because any one individual we may win for the cause may do more for humanity than a hundred thousand who hug their superstitions to their breast.
- Isaac Asimov
Go to Top of Page

BigPapaSmurf
SFN Die Hard

3192 Posts

Posted - 06/01/2007 :  10:31:35   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send BigPapaSmurf a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I do believe the atheists militated already Mooner, In North Korea/China/USSR/Vietnam/Cambodia and so on... though perhaps they could try again without the communist ideology.

"...things I have neither seen nor experienced nor heard tell of from anybody else; things, what is more, that do not in fact exist and could not ever exist at all. So my readers must not believe a word I say." -Lucian on his book True History

"...They accept such things on faith alone, without any evidence. So if a fraudulent and cunning person who knows how to take advantage of a situation comes among them, he can make himself rich in a short time." -Lucian critical of early Christians c.166 AD From his book, De Morte Peregrini
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 06/01/2007 :  15:15:49   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by BigPapaSmurf

I do believe the atheists militated already Mooner, In North Korea/China/USSR/Vietnam/Cambodia and so on... though perhaps they could try again without the communist ideology.
Yup, instructive examples of bad militation, ones that should never be forgotten.

I don't want to see anyone persecuted for their religious beliefs -- or lack of them. But I do want to see atheists be every bit as up front and confrontational with their beliefs as are the religious, until such time as religious thinking is no longer the dominant and protected mode of thought that it is today.

As things stand, it is considered perfectly acceptable for the religious to espouse any and all forms of bullshit, while it's considered bad form to criticize them for it. That's gotta change. Anything but militancy by atheists is just an acceptance of the stacked deck we're playing with. We're going to see more of the same, unless we speak up loud and clear. I don't want to shut anyone up, I just want to see the opposing voices become louder, and eventually more accepted, than theirs.

Go to Top of Page

skeptic griggsy
Skeptic Friend

USA
77 Posts

Posted - 06/06/2007 :  08:18:30   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit skeptic griggsy's Homepage Send skeptic griggsy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
That was sarcastic about our hero and funny but intellectually vacuous.His critics should try to refute his argumentation.

Fr. Griggs rests in his Socratic ignorance and humble naturalism. Logic is the bane of theists.Religion is mythinformation. Reason saves, not a dead Galilean fanatic.
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 06/06/2007 :  11:23:42   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by skeptic griggsy

That was sarcastic about our hero and funny but intellectually vacuous.His critics should try to refute his argumentation.
That's the best they can do: Make fun of Dawkins' British intellectualism, accent, and personal style. A little funny, but, as you say, Griggsy, it completely missed the whole argumentation "thing."

Edited by - HalfMooner on 06/06/2007 11:24:15
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.08 seconds.