Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 5

Kil
Evil Skeptic

USA
13476 Posts

Posted - 06/01/2007 :  08:25:57   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Kil's Homepage  Send Kil an AOL message  Send Kil a Yahoo! Message Send Kil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Jerome, the people who wrote the bible lived in a small area of the planet and were rather isolated in terms of how far they could travel. They could see the horizon but had no way to calculate how far they actually could go in any one direction. Based on the evidence they had, a flat earth was a reasonable conclusion at the time.

Unless you want to suggest that these writers had the tools to correctly asses a less intuitive proposition by some means, or suggest that they were more than scribes recounting even more ancient tales then the ones they were writing down, or that they were truly divinely inspired, it seems reasonable that they would conclude a flat earth. It seemed reasonable to conclude that the earth was the center of the universe and that the sun and all the stars revolved around it.

They only had a limited knowledge of the planet to work with.

There are now people much more knowledgeable in the area of biblical research then you are, able to read the text's in their original language, that you dismiss. Why would you do that?

You know what you remind me of? There was a comedian when I was growing up called Professor Erwin Corry, the world's foremost authority. He was an authority on everything. But of course, that was the joke…

If you want to only be contrary, you have succeeded. But a bone headed argument is still a bone headed argument. Why should you be taken seriously when it appears that you are quite willing, for the sake of an argument, to simply blow it out your ass? It takes no intelligence to do that. All you have to do is to keep grasping at straws and turn them into arguments. Anyone can do it. But there is no substance to that kind of argumentation. Blather on if you must but since you asked, that is the reason I stopped responding to your stuff. I have better things to do with my time…

Uncertainty may make you uncomfortable. Certainty makes you ridiculous.

Why not question something for a change?

Genetic Literacy Project
Go to Top of Page

dv82matt
SFN Regular

760 Posts

Posted - 06/01/2007 :  09:23:35   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send dv82matt a Private Message  Reply with Quote
If the bible writers believed in a disc shaped earth (as they apparently did) then it doesn't seem farfetched to consider that "the four corners of the earth" references could be an idiom of some sort and not an indication that they thought the earth had four corners.

Another possibility is that the word "corners" was used broadly to refer to a coneptually similar concept. eg. quadrants, edges, extreme points, compass points etc.
Go to Top of Page

JEROME DA GNOME
BANNED

2418 Posts

Posted - 06/01/2007 :  18:14:22   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send JEROME DA GNOME a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thank you Matt, that was spot on.

What a man believes upon grossly insufficient evidence is an index into his desires -- desires of which he himself is often unconscious. If a man is offered a fact which goes against his instincts, he will scrutinize it closely, and unless the evidence is overwhelming, he will refuse to believe it. If, on the other hand, he is offered something which affords a reason for acting in accordance to his instincts, he will accept it even on the slightest evidence. The origin of myths is explained in this way. - Bertrand Russell
Go to Top of Page

JEROME DA GNOME
BANNED

2418 Posts

Posted - 06/03/2007 :  12:12:19   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send JEROME DA GNOME a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Kill said: "Unless you want to suggest that these writers had the tools to correctly asses a less intuitive proposition by some means"

So how did the accepted theories of Pythagoras and Eratosthenes come to be? Many times in history a "less intuitive" theory expands the knowledge of humanity and science. Why is it so hard to believe that other before these two could have the same theory. Is it possible that their theories were built upon past theory?

What a man believes upon grossly insufficient evidence is an index into his desires -- desires of which he himself is often unconscious. If a man is offered a fact which goes against his instincts, he will scrutinize it closely, and unless the evidence is overwhelming, he will refuse to believe it. If, on the other hand, he is offered something which affords a reason for acting in accordance to his instincts, he will accept it even on the slightest evidence. The origin of myths is explained in this way. - Bertrand Russell
Go to Top of Page

Dr. Mabuse
Septic Fiend

Sweden
9687 Posts

Posted - 06/03/2007 :  13:34:07   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Dr. Mabuse an ICQ Message Send Dr. Mabuse a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by JEROME DA GNOME
So how did the accepted theories of Pythagoras and Eratosthenes come to be?
Like I said before, Pythagoras proposed that the Earth was spherical solely on faith that the circle was the perfect geometrical form. As far as I know, he never proposed a scientific explanation for his faith. He didn't have a theory. He didn't even have a hypothesis. He had a conjecture.

Erastothenes (and Aristotle) were the first to provide science to back up their statement.

Many times in history a "less intuitive" theory expands the knowledge of humanity and science. Why is it so hard to believe that other before these two could have the same theory. Is it possible that their theories were built upon past theory?
Because the math needed to provide Erastithenes scientific evidence (calculations of the Earth's radius) wasn't invented. There is no evidence that the ancient Hebrews had more than the most basic maht. For christ's sake, they didn't even get the right value for Pi!

Dr. Mabuse - "When the going gets tough, the tough get Duct-tape..."
Dr. Mabuse whisper.mp3

"Equivocation is not just a job, for a creationist it's a way of life..." Dr. Mabuse

Support American Troops in Iraq:
Send them unarmed civilians for target practice..
Collateralmurder.
Edited by - Dr. Mabuse on 06/03/2007 13:35:32
Go to Top of Page

JEROME DA GNOME
BANNED

2418 Posts

Posted - 06/03/2007 :  13:44:10   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send JEROME DA GNOME a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Dr. Mabuse, correct me if I am wrong, but you seem to believe that human knowledge all follows on a line; as if knowledge could not be possessed, lost, and discovered again.

Go to Top of Page

Trish
SFN Addict

USA
2102 Posts

Posted - 06/03/2007 :  22:50:33   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Trish a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Jerome, increasing knowledge generally requires a basis upon which to build. If the ancient Hebrews were a wandering tribe then it would seem likely that the vast majority of them would have been more concerned with day to day survival than expanding mathematical knowledge. Expansion of knowledge has typically occurred within groups that are settled and have a structured civilization that allows the leisure time to pursue knowledge. Just a bit of a thought on why it was unlikely that a wandering tribe would have the resources to pursue mathematics.

...no one has ever found a 4.5 billion year old stone artifact (at the right geological stratum) with the words "Made by God."
No Sense of Obligation by Matt Young

"Say what you will about the sweet miracle of unquestioning faith. I consider the capacity for it terrifying and vile!"
Mother Night by Kurt Vonnegut, Jr.

They (Women Marines) don't have a nickname, and they don't need one. They get their basic training in a Marine atmosphere, at a Marine Post. They inherit the traditions of the Marines. They are Marines.
LtGen Thomas Holcomb, USMC
Commandant of the Marine Corps, 1943
Go to Top of Page

Dr. Mabuse
Septic Fiend

Sweden
9687 Posts

Posted - 06/04/2007 :  09:32:46   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Dr. Mabuse an ICQ Message Send Dr. Mabuse a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Dr. Mabuse, correct me if I am wrong, but you seem to believe that human knowledge all follows on a line; as if knowledge could not be possessed, lost, and discovered again.
You are wrong.

Dr. Mabuse - "When the going gets tough, the tough get Duct-tape..."
Dr. Mabuse whisper.mp3

"Equivocation is not just a job, for a creationist it's a way of life..." Dr. Mabuse

Support American Troops in Iraq:
Send them unarmed civilians for target practice..
Collateralmurder.
Go to Top of Page

Baza

United Kingdom
47 Posts

Posted - 06/04/2007 :  13:48:07   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Baza a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Sorry I've been away from the net for a while. I didn't realise my question would raise such a debate. Many thanks for all your input and answering my question

Baza
Go to Top of Page

JEROME DA GNOME
BANNED

2418 Posts

Posted - 06/04/2007 :  19:20:46   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send JEROME DA GNOME a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Baza

Why is it that posters both here and in other forums, when confronted with disbelief for their various theories contend "that people used to belive that the earth is flat", when there is very little evidence to show that many people ever did?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flat_Earth

Because it is easier to discount a person with a disagreeing world view if you can make them seem silly.

Go to Top of Page

JohnOAS
SFN Regular

Australia
800 Posts

Posted - 06/04/2007 :  20:56:17   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit JohnOAS's Homepage Send JohnOAS a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Why is it that posters both here and in other forums, when confronted with disbelief for their various theories contend "that people used to belive that the earth is flat", when there is very little evidence to show that many people ever did?

Because it is easier to discount a person with a disagreeing world view if you can make them seem silly.

Of course some people excel at the latter to a degree that makes the efforts of others to make them seem silly insignificant by comparison.

John's just this guy, you know.
Go to Top of Page

JEROME DA GNOME
BANNED

2418 Posts

Posted - 06/04/2007 :  21:02:22   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send JEROME DA GNOME a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by JohnOAS

Of course some people excel at the latter to a degree that makes the efforts of others to make them seem silly insignificant by comparison.

I am a rarity, I know.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 5 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.17 seconds.