New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 6

JEROME DA GNOME
BANNED

2418 Posts

Posted - 05/27/2007 :  17:59:06  Show Profile Send JEROME DA GNOME a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Sir Francis Galton; cousin of Charles Darwin, used evolution to promote eugenics (a science that deals with the improvement of hereditary qualities of a race).

Moved thread to correct folder

Kil

What a man believes upon grossly insufficient evidence is an index into his desires -- desires of which he himself is often unconscious. If a man is offered a fact which goes against his instincts, he will scrutinize it closely, and unless the evidence is overwhelming, he will refuse to believe it. If, on the other hand, he is offered something which affords a reason for acting in accordance to his instincts, he will accept it even on the slightest evidence. The origin of myths is explained in this way. - Bertrand Russell

H. Humbert
SFN Die Hard

USA
4574 Posts

Posted - 05/27/2007 :  18:01:33   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send H. Humbert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by JEROME DA GNOME

Sir Francis Galton; cousin of Charles Darwin, used evolution to promote eugenics (a science that deals with the improvement of hereditary qualities of a race).
So? The same could be said of the bible.

"A man is his own easiest dupe, for what he wishes to be true he generally believes to be true." --Demosthenes

"The first principle is that you must not fool yourself - and you are the easiest person to fool." --Richard P. Feynman

"Face facts with dignity." --found inside a fortune cookie
Edited by - H. Humbert on 05/27/2007 18:02:02
Go to Top of Page

Cuneiformist
The Imperfectionist

USA
4955 Posts

Posted - 05/27/2007 :  18:09:45   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Cuneiformist a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Oh, come on. Now you're just starting arguments for the sake of being confrontational.
Go to Top of Page

Ricky
SFN Die Hard

USA
4907 Posts

Posted - 05/27/2007 :  18:25:49   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Ricky an AOL message Send Ricky a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm going to keep "evidence please" in my clip board from now on.

Evidence please?

Why continue? Because we must. Because we have the call. Because it is nobler to fight for rationality without winning than to give up in the face of continued defeats. Because whatever true progress humanity makes is through the rationality of the occasional individual and because any one individual we may win for the cause may do more for humanity than a hundred thousand who hug their superstitions to their breast.
- Isaac Asimov
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 05/27/2007 :  19:07:07   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
So, by (presumably) noting abuses of a so-called "Social Darwinists," you are making what point? How does someone distorting a theory detract from the validity of the actual theory, and how do the actions of a cousin of Darwin smear Darwin, for that matter? I had a cousin who was an Oxford Don and a theocratic fundamentalist. That is irrelevant to my being an atheist.

And, of course, evidence, please.

Biology is just physics that has begun to smell bad.” —HalfMooner
Here's a link to Moonscape News, and one to its Archive.
Go to Top of Page

furshur
SFN Regular

USA
1536 Posts

Posted - 05/27/2007 :  20:24:48   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send furshur a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Yes, he apparently coined the term too. He was also a whiz at statistics and pioneered many of the statistical tools commonly used today.

Is there some sort of point to your post, or are you just making conversation?

If I knew then what I know now then I would know more now than I know.
Go to Top of Page

Ricky
SFN Die Hard

USA
4907 Posts

Posted - 05/27/2007 :  20:38:37   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Ricky an AOL message Send Ricky a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ah, misread the OP. Thought we were talking about Darwin.

Why continue? Because we must. Because we have the call. Because it is nobler to fight for rationality without winning than to give up in the face of continued defeats. Because whatever true progress humanity makes is through the rationality of the occasional individual and because any one individual we may win for the cause may do more for humanity than a hundred thousand who hug their superstitions to their breast.
- Isaac Asimov
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 05/27/2007 :  21:55:09   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Except that eugenics is artifical selection, while Darwin's breakthrough was common descent and natural selection.

Really, the resurgence of the whole "eugenics" thing is a two-month old ploy by the Discovery Institute to try once again to discredit modern evolutionary theory, this time with guilt-by-association and ad hominems. None of it matters to the fact or the science of evolution.

Jerome, by mindlessly parroting Discovery Institute talking points, has simply ensured that even fewer people will take him seriously.

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Why not question something for a change?
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.
Go to Top of Page

Dude
SFN Die Hard

USA
6891 Posts

Posted - 05/27/2007 :  23:10:39   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Dude a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Next thing we know Jerome will be blaming Nazis and the Holocaust on Darwin and Evolution, instead of the real motivation for German hatred of Jews, Martin Luther.

You really should give this type of idiocy a rest Jerome.

Do you have any idea how stupid you look when you pop in with an imbecilic statement like your OP here?

Stop trolling and try engaging in an actual conversation, if you are capable of it.

Ignorance is preferable to error; and he is less remote from the truth who believes nothing, than he who believes what is wrong.
-- Thomas Jefferson

"god :: the last refuge of a man with no answers and no argument." - G. Carlin

Hope, n.
The handmaiden of desperation; the opiate of despair; the illegible signpost on the road to perdition. ~~ da filth
Go to Top of Page

Ricky
SFN Die Hard

USA
4907 Posts

Posted - 05/28/2007 :  00:01:15   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Ricky an AOL message Send Ricky a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Do you have any idea how stupid you look when you pop in with an imbecilic statement like your OP here?

Stop trolling and try engaging in an actual conversation, if you are capable of it.

While I'm not much of a fan of Jerome's OPs, I would most certainly say he isn't trolling. In threads such as Compulsory Government Education, he is carrying on a discussion and actually attempting to back up his statements with evidence, even though that evidence is lacking, in my opinion. Point is, I would say Jerome is far from being a troll.

- Isaac Asimov
Go to Top of Page

Dude
SFN Die Hard

USA
6891 Posts

Posted - 05/28/2007 :  00:11:21   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Dude a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ricky said:
Point is, I would say Jerome is far from being a troll.

I disagree.

a troll is someone who intentionally posts derogatory or otherwise inflammatory messages about sensitive topics in an established online community such as an online discussion forum to bait users into responding

How can the OP of this thread be ANYTHING other than Jerome trolling for a response?

I'll admit he isn't a very good troll, but he is a troll none the less.

Ignorance is preferable to error; and he is less remote from the truth who believes nothing, than he who believes what is wrong.
-- Thomas Jefferson

"god :: the last refuge of a man with no answers and no argument." - G. Carlin

Hope, n.
The handmaiden of desperation; the opiate of despair; the illegible signpost on the road to perdition. ~~ da filth
Go to Top of Page

Ricky
SFN Die Hard

USA
4907 Posts

Posted - 05/28/2007 :  00:14:30   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Ricky an AOL message Send Ricky a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, we're starting to go off topic, so this is the last post I'm going to make on this. This thread started off the same way, but Jerome created a discussion out of it, and it actually has forward progress.

- Isaac Asimov
Go to Top of Page

dv82matt
SFN Regular

760 Posts

Posted - 05/28/2007 :  04:12:08   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send dv82matt a Private Message  Reply with Quote

And religion is a tool of persecution. Automobiles are tools of global warming. Food is a tool of obesity. Water is a tool of drowning.

It sorta gets ridiculous after awhile.
Go to Top of Page

perrodetokio
Skeptic Friend

275 Posts

Posted - 05/28/2007 :  08:18:56   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send perrodetokio a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by dv82matt

And religion is a tool of persecution. Automobiles are tools of global warming. Food is a tool of obesity. Water is a tool of drowning.

It sorta gets ridiculous after awhile.

Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha!!! It sure does!

"Yes I have a belief in a creator/God but do not know that he exists." Bill Scott

"They are still mosquitoes! They did not turn into whales or lizards or anything else. They are still mosquitoes!..." Bill Scott

"We should have millions of missing links or transition fossils showing a fish turning into a philosopher..." Bill Scott
Go to Top of Page

JEROME DA GNOME
BANNED

2418 Posts

Posted - 05/28/2007 :  08:28:51   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send JEROME DA GNOME a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Dave, I do not know the Discovery Institute, I come up with this stuff on my own. Give me more credit that that.

The point is to hear all your thoughts on evolution and eugenics; and discus them. I have stated facts that were confirmed by another poster in this tread; this hardly makes me a troll.

My purpose is discussion and research, I find that this group generally has good background knowledge of the subjects that interest me. Nothing I post is meant to be either "inflammatory" nor "derogatory".

What a man believes upon grossly insufficient evidence is an index into his desires -- desires of which he himself is often unconscious. If a man is offered a fact which goes against his instincts, he will scrutinize it closely, and unless the evidence is overwhelming, he will refuse to believe it. If, on the other hand, he is offered something which affords a reason for acting in accordance to his instincts, he will accept it even on the slightest evidence. The origin of myths is explained in this way. - Bertrand Russell
Go to Top of Page

Siberia
SFN Addict

Brazil
2322 Posts

Posted - 05/28/2007 :  08:36:39   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Siberia's Homepage  Send Siberia an AOL message  Send Siberia a Yahoo! Message Send Siberia a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Man, he did make the thread!

"Why are you afraid of something you're not even sure exists?"
- The Kovenant, Via Negativa

"People who don't like their beliefs being laughed at shouldn't have such funny beliefs."
-- unknown
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 6 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.16 seconds.