Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 05/31/2007 :  15:16:24  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Falwell, we can do nicely without. But I, for one, will miss Billy. He was one of the greats, with a degree of honesty lacking in too many of his peers.

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

Boron10
Religion Moderator

USA
1266 Posts

Posted - 05/31/2007 :  15:36:45   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Boron10 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by filthy

Falwell, we can do nicely without. But I, for one, will miss Billy. He was one of the greats, with a degree of honesty lacking in too many of his peers.
Umm, filthy? Where did you hear that? After a (brief) internet search, I have only seen articles about the dedication of his library today, during which he was alive and kicking.
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 05/31/2007 :  15:45:35   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Boron10

Umm, filthy? Where did you hear that? After a (brief) internet search, I have only seen articles about the dedication of his library today, during which he was alive and kicking.
There's nothing on line yet. I caught it on the local, 5:00 news.

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

beskeptigal
SFN Die Hard

USA
3834 Posts

Posted - 05/31/2007 :  15:57:25   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send beskeptigal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
That's weird because I saw the library dedication piece also. Still no Net news. I suspect an error.

Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 05/31/2007 :  16:08:51   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by beskeptigal

That's weird because I saw the library dedication piece also. Still no Net news. I suspect an error.

Possible, surely. As stated, I caught it on the local toob, which is not the most reliable of mediums. Right after, I googled it and found nothing. As I am in North Carolina, it is concievable that I might get this a little sooner.

We'll wait a bit and see...

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

Cuneiformist
The Imperfectionist

USA
4955 Posts

Posted - 05/31/2007 :  16:09:19   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Cuneiformist a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yeah, I see this as of 7 pm Eastern. If he kicked it during the dedication, I think that's be the top story. As BSG said, probably an error. Damned liberal media.
Go to Top of Page

Kil
Evil Skeptic

USA
13476 Posts

Posted - 05/31/2007 :  16:51:00   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Kil's Homepage  Send Kil an AOL message  Send Kil a Yahoo! Message Send Kil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Perhaps the local news show filthy watches is prone to great exaggeration?

(Apologies to Mark Twain.)

Uncertainty may make you uncomfortable. Certainty makes you ridiculous.

Why not question something for a change?

Genetic Literacy Project
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 05/31/2007 :  18:15:45   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
At this point, I think I either misheard the broadcast or Channel 11 blew it. More likely, I got it wrong.

But Billy's getting past due. He has some sort of cancer, and, if I haven't gotten this wrong as well, parkenson's. He's also broken a hip.

Not being able to stop beating a dead horse, I'll look again in the morning.

Gonna miss old Billy, whenever. I once heard him preach in person.

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

Orwellingly Yurz
SFN Regular

USA
529 Posts

Posted - 05/31/2007 :  20:12:54   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Orwellingly Yurz a Private Message  Reply with Quote
YO: Billy Graham has always struck me as a very responsible and disciplined man who is also very honest and devout in what he does. It's still very refreshing, even though he's not a spring chicken any more. However, I've moved on from where Mr. Graham has kept himself for all of his life. But to him, I say, so long as you really believe it and you're honest with yourself and, mainly, with others, RIGHT ON, DUDE!

Who am I but, Orwellingly Yurz? I'm hoping the news on channel 11 is inaccurate, too.

"The modern conservative...is engaged in one of man's oldest exercises in moral philosophy. That is the search for a superior moral justification for selfishness."
--John Kenneth Galbraith

If dogs run free
Then what must be,
Must be...
And that is all
--Bob Dylan

The neo-cons have gotten welfare for themselves down to a fine art.
--me

"The meek shall inherit the earth, but not the mineral rights."
--J. Paul Getty

"The great thing about Art isn't what it give us, but what we become through it."
--Oscar Wilde

"We have Art in order not to die of life."
--Albert Camus

"I cling like a miser to the freedom I lose when surrounded by an abundance of things."
--Albert Camus

"Experience is the name so many people give to their mistakes."
--Oscar Wilde
Go to Top of Page

pleco
SFN Addict

USA
2998 Posts

Posted - 05/31/2007 :  20:14:30   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit pleco's Homepage Send pleco a Private Message  Reply with Quote
"It's not a lie if you believe it." - George Costanza

He wasn't honest, either to himself or the people that worship him.

by Filthy
The neo-con methane machine will soon be running at full fart.
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 06/01/2007 :  00:02:01   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Filthy, "dead" and dedicated" do sound similar.

Biology is just physics that has begun to smell bad.” —HalfMooner
Here's a link to Moonscape News, and one to its Archive.
Edited by - HalfMooner on 06/01/2007 00:02:38
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 06/01/2007 :  02:46:56   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by HalfMooner

Filthy, "dead" and dedicated" do sound similar.

Heh, indeed.

Channel 11 local news is the only TV news program I bother to watch, and then mainly to find out who shot whom, and whether I know either of them. Long about the second traffic report, my already brief attention span begins to falter. I was also on line at the time.

It's a funny thing; in all of the years that I've been arguing in the skeptic forums and keeping track of the more rabid of the Christians, I cannot recall a single derogatory remark against Graham that was not made by another evangelist. Pleco has come up with a first.
Posted - 05/31/2007 : 20:14:30
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"It's not a lie if you believe it." - George Costanza

He wasn't honest, either to himself or the people that worship him.
I disagree, bro.

In many ways, Billy Graham is/was downright scary. He has a tremendous force of personality and a voice that, from the pulpit, can shake you up (you have to have heard it from his own mouth to appreciate it). In that he himself, firmly believes his message adds a great force to his performance.

Billy did not involve himself very deeply in partisan politics. While I'm sure he voted conservative Republican, he supported and advised every president since Eisenhower. And, unlike other, well-known evangelists, he actually gave money away by means of his charities, such as Samaritan's Purse, rather than steal it all for himself. As I recall, he paid himself a modest but comfortable stipend and the rest went into and through his ministry.

Can you imagine a room containing Dobson, Falwell, Robertson, Hinn, Wildemon, Perkins, Swaggert, LeHay(s), Hovind (hah!), Ham, Bakker (hah again!) and the rest of the purveyors of dubious piety -- can you imagine the silence, that would fall over it if Billy walked through the door? And then the sounds of the frantic pandering and sucking-up that would follow because they know that they are not fit to clean dogshit from his shoes?

I don't buy his message, but no one has ever delivered it better. He is the only one of the well-known pulpit-pounders that I have any respect for at all.

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

BigPapaSmurf
SFN Die Hard

3192 Posts

Posted - 06/01/2007 :  05:34:38   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send BigPapaSmurf a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Are you trying to get Valiant Dancer and Halfmooner all excited? They both had BG in the Dead Pool.

Just a reminder, killing your dead pool listees gets you removed from the contest! So does faking their deaths!

"...things I have neither seen nor experienced nor heard tell of from anybody else; things, what is more, that do not in fact exist and could not ever exist at all. So my readers must not believe a word I say." -Lucian on his book True History

"...They accept such things on faith alone, without any evidence. So if a fraudulent and cunning person who knows how to take advantage of a situation comes among them, he can make himself rich in a short time." -Lucian critical of early Christians c.166 AD From his book, De Morte Peregrini
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 06/01/2007 :  05:51:22   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by BigPapaSmurf

Are you trying to get Valiant Dancer and Halfmooner all excited? They both had BG in the Dead Pool.

Just a reminder, killing your dead pool listees gets you removed from the contest! So does faking their deaths!
Have gun, will travel... for a price.

Alas, I did not have Billy in my death pool. In fact, almost all of mine cling to life like lamprays on a salmon. Indeed, I'm starting to wonder if Jessee Helms is not immortal. I'm almost cretain that Fred Phelps, like Old Scratch, is.

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

pleco
SFN Addict

USA
2998 Posts

Posted - 06/01/2007 :  06:46:57   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit pleco's Homepage Send pleco a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I disagree, bro.

In many ways, Billy Graham is/was downright scary. He has a tremendous force of personality and a voice that, from the pulpit, can shake you up (you have to have heard it from his own mouth to appreciate it). In that he himself, firmly believes his message adds a great force to his performance.

Billy did not involve himself very deeply in partisan politics. While I'm sure he voted conservative Republican, he supported and advised every president since Eisenhower. And, unlike other, well-known evangelists, he actually gave money away by means of his charities, such as Samaritan's Purse, rather than steal it all for himself. As I recall, he paid himself a modest but comfortable stipend and the rest went into and through his ministry.

Can you imagine a room containing Dobson, Falwell, Robertson, Hinn, Wildemon, Perkins, Swaggert, LeHay(s), Hovind (hah!), Ham, Bakker (hah again!) and the rest of the purveyors of dubious piety -- can you imagine the silence, that would fall over it if Billy walked through the door? And then the sounds of the frantic pandering and sucking-up that would follow because they know that they are not fit to clean dogshit from his shoes?

I don't buy his message, but no one has ever delivered it better. He is the only one of the well-known pulpit-pounders that I have any respect for at all.

To me, he is/was definitely the most dangerous of them all. He promoted the Lie with a smile and compassion.

The others are easy to spot and to argue against because of the hatred they spew. It is much harder to point out the foibles in a man that seemingly is so nice.

I did some research on his views on evolution and homosexuality. Surprisingly to me, he does not hold homosexuality as any greater sin than that of pride, or coveting, etc. though he still views it as a sin. On evolution, he is a theistic evolutionist. He states the Bible is not a Book of Science, and if God created man and used evolution to do it, it still means God created Man Source

So I guess he is the least dishonest of them all. I'll grant that he seems to be a man of great compassion, and that if all Christians were like him, we wouldn't have near as many problems as we do today.

But, he still promotes magic thinking, and we know where that road will lead a person.

by Filthy
The neo-con methane machine will soon be running at full fart.
Edited by - pleco on 06/01/2007 06:47:22
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26021 Posts

Posted - 06/01/2007 :  06:48:27   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I saw a clip of Billy speaking at the event. At one point he said, "I feel like I'm at my own funeral."

Easy to get from there to "Billy has died," ain't it?

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Why not question something for a change?
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.12 seconds.