Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Gorgo
SFN Die Hard

USA
5310 Posts

Posted - 06/07/2007 :  09:58:06  Show Profile Send Gorgo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Just entered into the 20th Century and bought an MP3 player so I did some hunting for mp3's. I wondered if it would be a good idea to open a thread to find out what others are listening to besides music.

Obviously, Skepticality is very good.

Truth Driven Thinking has a variety of interesting topics.

Point of Inquiry is great.

Everyone knows about Reginald Finley.

I don't mean to limit it to skeptical and atheist links. I know some of us here listen to Democracy Now .

Edited to add Reginald Finley again.

I know the rent is in arrears
The dog has not been fed in years
It's even worse than it appears
But it's alright-
Jerry Garcia
Robert Hunter

Edited by - Gorgo on 06/07/2007 10:01:56

Gorgo
SFN Die Hard

USA
5310 Posts

Posted - 06/07/2007 :  10:03:28   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Gorgo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
And Alternative Radio .

But it's alright-
Jerry Garcia
Robert Hunter

Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 06/07/2007 :  11:41:49   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Popular Crackpot.

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Why not question something for a change?
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.
Go to Top of Page

JohnOAS
SFN Regular

Australia
800 Posts

Posted - 06/07/2007 :  17:43:30   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit JohnOAS's Homepage Send JohnOAS a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Glancing at my current subscription list in Juice (Yes, there is life without iTunes), and culling those that I haven't listed to in forever, or don't particularly recommend.

(I have prettier version of most of this grouped by categories and such here).

Skepticality: As mentioned, good stuff. 'nuff said.
The Non-Prophets - Somewhat in-your-face atheism. Deals primarily with christianity (XML)
Infidel Guy - Debate Hour - Infidel Radio (XML)
The Atheist Experience - OK but the audio is sometimes sub-standard(XML)
SETI: Science and Skepticism: Are We Alone - Interesting(XML)
Atheist Viewpoint from American Atheists (XML)
Berkeley Groks - Science Show Podcast - Haven't listened in a while. A college radio Science show(XML)
Godless Heathen Podcast - Seemingly on hiatus, a not too serious but entertaining semi-rant (XML)
The Skeptics' Guide to the Universe - A superset of the Non-prophets crowd. More general. (XML)
this WEEK in TECH - MP3 Edition - A good one for geeks(XML)
FLOSS Weekly - Far from weekly, but grweat interviews with big names in open source (XML)
Daily GizWiz - Not too serious gadget review. Typically around 10min.(XML)
pointofinquiry's Podcast - One of my favourites too(XML)
New Scientist Podcast - Just finished, sorry (XML)
Tech Talk Radio - Australian tech stuff. Too damn long.(XML)
PodcasterNews: Sloppy Seconds" - 5 minute music news, mostly mainstreamish rock stuff (XML)
Security Now! - IT security stuff. (XML)
Science Talk: The Podcast of Scientific American - Good general science roundup(XML)
Penn Radio Podcast - used to be a favourite, no longer active, but you can get the old shows (XML)
Seed's Science + Culture Podcasts - Another good sciency podcast(XML)
60-Second Science - 1 minute science news daily (XML)
Cranky Geeks MP3 Audio - 30 minute tech show (XML)
this WEEK in LAW- Legal discussions as related to the technology realm(XML)
Dungeons & Dragons Podcast - I metioned I was a geek, right? (XML)
The New Skeptic Tank - Australian skeptical stuff(XML)
Dr Karl on triple - Australian Science personality radio Q&A show(XML)
triple j's music news - Not so mainstream music news roundup (XML)
Diggnation (Mp3) - Occasionally amusing roundup of stuff from Digg. Somewhat juvenile, but still (therefore?) fun (XML)
dl.tv - Twice weekly computer and media technolgy roundup and howto (XML)

(I apologise for any nasty formatting errors, I'm messing with an opml output from Juice, search-and-replacing in notepad to turn it into (hopefully) SFN snitz friendly code interspersed with my comments )

John's just this guy, you know.
Edited by - JohnOAS on 06/07/2007 19:21:56
Go to Top of Page

Ghost_Skeptic
SFN Regular

Canada
510 Posts

Posted - 06/08/2007 :  02:18:00   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Ghost_Skeptic a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The Skeptics Guide Guide to the Universe is one of my favourites (it is buried somewhere in the middle of John's list). The host Jay Novella is a neurologist at Yale and the podcast has more gravitas than does Skepticality. However the sketical rogues often get quite rambunctious so the podcast is never dull.

Another favourite of mine is CBC Radio One's Science Show Quirks and Quarks - click on the latest show link or past shows and listen to individual segments or subsrcibe to the podcast. The show consists of recent science stories in the form of interviews with scientists.

Ideas is very eclectic - sometimes good and sometimes crap.

Dispatches covers international news stories that get overlooked.

"You can lead a horse to water but you can't make him drink. / You can send a kid to college but you can't make him think." - B.B. King

History is made by stupid people - The Arrogant Worms

"The greater the ignorance the greater the dogmatism." - William Osler

"Religion is the natural home of the psychopath" - Pat Condell

"The day will come when the mystical generation of Jesus, by the supreme being as his father in the womb of a virgin, will be classed with the fable of the generation of Minerva in the brain of Jupiter" - Thomas Jefferson
Go to Top of Page

Gorgo
SFN Die Hard

USA
5310 Posts

Posted - 06/23/2007 :  08:43:30   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Gorgo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Fantastic stuff.

I can't believe how many cool interviews they get into on This is Hell. I just realized I didn't get that here.

Remember everyone, the more you post, the more I'll be listening to my MP3 player, instead of posting my usual idiotic crap!

But it's alright-
Jerry Garcia
Robert Hunter

Go to Top of Page

Gorgo
SFN Die Hard

USA
5310 Posts

Posted - 06/23/2007 :  08:58:44   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Gorgo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Not a podcast, and I don't see it in the lists above, but scitalks looks interesting.

But it's alright-
Jerry Garcia
Robert Hunter

Edited by - Gorgo on 06/23/2007 09:08:24
Go to Top of Page

Gorgo
SFN Die Hard

USA
5310 Posts

Posted - 06/23/2007 :  09:07:00   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Gorgo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I see scitalks has the ALI G/Noam Chomsky Interview.

But it's alright-
Jerry Garcia
Robert Hunter

Go to Top of Page

Cuneiformist
The Imperfectionist

USA
4955 Posts

Posted - 06/23/2007 :  09:23:45   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Cuneiformist a Private Message  Reply with Quote
When do people find time for podcasts? I find that I can never sit through even a short one without wanting to do something else just a few minutes into it. I guess the ideal solution is for the longer car ride, but I don't have the ability to play my iPod in my car.
Go to Top of Page

Gorgo
SFN Die Hard

USA
5310 Posts

Posted - 06/23/2007 :  10:11:34   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Gorgo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I guess the ideal solution is for the longer car ride, but I don't have the ability to play my iPod in my car.

I guess time isn't the problem, then, it's interest. I find the same thing is true for a lot of recordings. Especially, listening to music. I have some music downloaded, but just to listen to music for any length of time isn't something that seems interesting to me most of the time. I've also downloaded some non-musical radio shows from the list above that I thought I'd be interested in, but just don't take the time to listen to because there is something to do that's more interesting.

I haven't tried them out, but they do have FM transmitters for MP3 players, and good speakers, that you can use in your car, if you don't want to have thing plugged into your ears.

But it's alright-
Jerry Garcia
Robert Hunter

Go to Top of Page

Cuneiformist
The Imperfectionist

USA
4955 Posts

Posted - 06/23/2007 :  11:27:48   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Cuneiformist a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Gorgo

I guess the ideal solution is for the longer car ride, but I don't have the ability to play my iPod in my car.

I guess time isn't the problem, then, it's interest. I find the same thing is true for a lot of recordings. Especially, listening to music. I have some music downloaded, but just to listen to music for any length of time isn't something that seems interesting to me most of the time. I've also downloaded some non-musical radio shows from the list above that I thought I'd be interested in, but just don't take the time to listen to because there is something to do that's more interesting.

I haven't tried them out, but they do have FM transmitters for MP3 players, and good speakers, that you can use in your car, if you don't want to have thing plugged into your ears.
Well, I can listen to music while I'm working, or washing the car, or whatever. But listening to a podcast seems like it would require more attention. Perhaps not. Perhaps I should put on a podcast while I'm washing the car and see if I can follow it. If I can listen to [url="http://www.npr.org/programs/waitwait/"Wait! Wait![/url] and follow along, I guess I can listen to a podcast!
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 06/24/2007 :  21:32:18   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
When I have time to listen to "talkies," it's when I'm sitting here trying to read and/or write other stuff, and my ears seem to shut down. I can't tell you how many Skepticality episodes I've had to listen to twice (or more) just to hear what's being said. I can actually listen to music while reading or writing, though, even lyrics.

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Why not question something for a change?
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.
Go to Top of Page

Dude
SFN Die Hard

USA
6891 Posts

Posted - 06/24/2007 :  22:22:29   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Dude a Private Message  Reply with Quote
IIRC, music engages different parts of your brain. Its why people who stutter can very often sing normally.

Ignorance is preferable to error; and he is less remote from the truth who believes nothing, than he who believes what is wrong.
-- Thomas Jefferson

"god :: the last refuge of a man with no answers and no argument." - G. Carlin

Hope, n.
The handmaiden of desperation; the opiate of despair; the illegible signpost on the road to perdition. ~~ da filth
Go to Top of Page

JohnOAS
SFN Regular

Australia
800 Posts

Posted - 06/26/2007 :  06:04:49   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit JohnOAS's Homepage Send JohnOAS a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Cuneiformist

When do people find time for podcasts? I find that I can never sit through even a short one without wanting to do something else just a few minutes into it. I guess the ideal solution is for the longer car ride, but I don't have the ability to play my iPod in my car.

Yup. I do 15-20 hours a week in the car, so that's where I do all my listening.

Before I got a car with an MP3-CD player, I used one of these:

It cost about $20 and accepts a normal USB memory stick with audio files on it. It plugs straight into a 12V car socket. No display or other fancy stuff, just a play, pause, and skip buttons, and a choice of FM frequencies to choose from. Tune in an appropriate station on the car's radio and away you go.

Originally posted by Dave W.

When I have time to listen to "talkies," it's when I'm sitting here trying to read and/or write other stuff, and my ears seem to shut down. I can't tell you how many Skepticality episodes I've had to listen to twice (or more) just to hear what's being said. I can actually listen to music while reading or writing, though, even lyrics.

I'm similar. There's no way I can listen to podcasts while working. About the most complex activity I can manage while listening (properly) is mowing the lawn.

I've tried listen when reading/posting here late at night, but I usually end up having to re-listen to the podcast, re-read the posts, or delete the gibberish I've typed while listening.

John's just this guy, you know.
Go to Top of Page

Gorgo
SFN Die Hard

USA
5310 Posts

Posted - 06/26/2007 :  10:44:37   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Gorgo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
FFRF

But it's alright-
Jerry Garcia
Robert Hunter

Go to Top of Page

Gorgo
SFN Die Hard

USA
5310 Posts

Posted - 07/04/2007 :  08:12:22   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Gorgo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
http://www.dogmafreeamerica.com/

But it's alright-
Jerry Garcia
Robert Hunter

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.14 seconds.