Save Password
Forgot your Password?
Home | Forums | Active Topics | Active Polls | Register | FAQ | Contact Us  
  Connect: Chat | SFN Messenger | Buddy List | Members
Personalize: Profile | My Page | Forum Bookmarks  
 All Forums
 Our Skeptic Forums
 Health
 How does Intelligent Scales measure you BMI?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Dr. Mabuse
Septic Fiend

Sweden
9687 Posts

Posted - 06/14/2007 :  10:06:29  Show Profile  Send Dr. Mabuse an ICQ Message Send Dr. Mabuse a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Suddenly a new kind of electronic scales is getting popular in Sweden: A scales that besides weight also measures your percentage of body fat and water/fluid.

I'm skeptical of the function of those scales, mainly because I cannot figure out who the scales would possibly differentiate the various stuff in the body.

But before I write them off as fradulent products, I'd like to keep an open mind. I hope someone can explain how they are supposed to work.

Dr. Mabuse - "When the going gets tough, the tough get Duct-tape..."
Dr. Mabuse whisper.mp3

"Equivocation is not just a job, for a creationist it's a way of life..." Dr. Mabuse

Support American Troops in Iraq:
Send them unarmed civilians for target practice..
Collateralmurder.

pleco
SFN Addict

USA
2998 Posts

Posted - 06/14/2007 :  10:10:04   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit pleco's Homepage Send pleco a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I found this FWIW:

http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/archive/index.php/t-9131.html

by Filthy
The neo-con methane machine will soon be running at full fart.
Go to Top of Page

Rubicon95
Skeptic Friend

USA
220 Posts

Posted - 06/14/2007 :  13:08:20   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Rubicon95 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Consumer bought BMI scale's won't give you an accurate view of fat content. The instructions on mine have that disclaimer. It can put you in a ballpark. (Looking at a mirror can do it as well) I have had a Tamita scale for about 3 years now. I specifically got it for the fat measurements. The weight part is accurate (sigh no more doughnuts for me) but I've been able to trick the BMI part. The more water you drink the lower the score.

I don't regret getting it. It's a good scale for what it does. I wouldn't use it in an arguement with my doctor over BMI. He has vays of figuring out my % Fatness and access to an EMG machine - ouch.
Go to Top of Page

Dude
SFN Die Hard

USA
6891 Posts

Posted - 06/14/2007 :  13:22:52   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Dude a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The scales work by measuring conductivity. You place one foot on one electrode, other foot on the other electrode, and it gets a reading of you bodyfat.

The problem with this method is that it can be effected by diet. Eat some salty fries and a greasy burger for lunch and it can give you a different reading than it would if you were eating low-fat and low sodium foods.

The positive thing about it is, if you are consistent with your type of food intake, the thing can give you a baseline reading, and you can measure progress in reducing bodyfat from there.

Just don't expect the reading to be an accurate measure of your bodyfat.

Ignorance is preferable to error; and he is less remote from the truth who believes nothing, than he who believes what is wrong.
-- Thomas Jefferson

"god :: the last refuge of a man with no answers and no argument." - G. Carlin

Hope, n.
The handmaiden of desperation; the opiate of despair; the illegible signpost on the road to perdition. ~~ da filth
Go to Top of Page

Dr. Mabuse
Septic Fiend

Sweden
9687 Posts

Posted - 06/14/2007 :  13:36:10   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Dr. Mabuse an ICQ Message Send Dr. Mabuse a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Then I could just as well save 2 thirds of the money by buying a scale without the extras.
I count the notches on my belt, and how well old trousers fit... ;)

Dr. Mabuse - "When the going gets tough, the tough get Duct-tape..."
Dr. Mabuse whisper.mp3

"Equivocation is not just a job, for a creationist it's a way of life..." Dr. Mabuse

Support American Troops in Iraq:
Send them unarmed civilians for target practice..
Collateralmurder.
Go to Top of Page

Trish
SFN Addict

USA
2102 Posts

Posted - 06/14/2007 :  20:42:20   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Trish a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'd be afraid of anything that I had to step on with electrodes. However, I'm curious as to how it would read someone who discharges when playing with voltmeters. Considering I was the only one there who caused the thing to spike then drop to virtually 0 (I can't remember whether we were playing with volts or milivolts).

...no one has ever found a 4.5 billion year old stone artifact (at the right geological stratum) with the words "Made by God."
No Sense of Obligation by Matt Young

"Say what you will about the sweet miracle of unquestioning faith. I consider the capacity for it terrifying and vile!"
Mother Night by Kurt Vonnegut, Jr.

They (Women Marines) don't have a nickname, and they don't need one. They get their basic training in a Marine atmosphere, at a Marine Post. They inherit the traditions of the Marines. They are Marines.
LtGen Thomas Holcomb, USMC
Commandant of the Marine Corps, 1943
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds.