Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 9

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 06/30/2007 :  19:27:51   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Oh, wait I didn't respond to this correctly:
Originally posted by JEROME DA GNOME

If methane is not biological, than it is logical to concluded that oil may also not be biological in origin.
And if frogs had wings, they wouldn't bump their butts on the ground.

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Why not question something for a change?
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.
Go to Top of Page

JEROME DA GNOME
BANNED

2418 Posts

Posted - 06/30/2007 :  19:29:57   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send JEROME DA GNOME a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Dave W.

Oh, wait I didn't respond to this correctly:

If methane is not biological, than it is logical to concluded that oil may also not be biological in origin.
And if frogs had wings, they wouldn't bump their butts on the ground.

You make me laugh. My wife wonders why I am laughing, and I say Dave, from this she understands.

What a man believes upon grossly insufficient evidence is an index into his desires -- desires of which he himself is often unconscious. If a man is offered a fact which goes against his instincts, he will scrutinize it closely, and unless the evidence is overwhelming, he will refuse to believe it. If, on the other hand, he is offered something which affords a reason for acting in accordance to his instincts, he will accept it even on the slightest evidence. The origin of myths is explained in this way. - Bertrand Russell
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 06/30/2007 :  19:55:57   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote

You make me laugh. My wife wonders why I am laughing, and I say Dave, from this she understands.

How nice to know that I am a household name. Such seeds will be important during the third phase of my plan to become World President for Life.

Evidently, I rock!
Go to Top of Page

Dude
SFN Die Hard

USA
6891 Posts

Posted - 06/30/2007 :  21:37:18   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Dude a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Jerome said:
There is discussion in science as to whether oil is produced from dead things. We do not know if we are using them faster than they are being created.

Proving that you, Jerome, are a colossal idiot.

Ignorance is preferable to error; and he is less remote from the truth who believes nothing, than he who believes what is wrong.
-- Thomas Jefferson

"god :: the last refuge of a man with no answers and no argument." - G. Carlin

Hope, n.
The handmaiden of desperation; the opiate of despair; the illegible signpost on the road to perdition. ~~ da filth
Go to Top of Page

JEROME DA GNOME
BANNED

2418 Posts

Posted - 06/30/2007 :  22:04:51   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send JEROME DA GNOME a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Dude

Jerome said:
There is discussion in science as to whether oil is produced from dead things. We do not know if we are using them faster than they are being created.

Thanks for your thoughts. Does not science show that methane is produced from non bionic sources?

What a man believes upon grossly insufficient evidence is an index into his desires -- desires of which he himself is often unconscious. If a man is offered a fact which goes against his instincts, he will scrutinize it closely, and unless the evidence is overwhelming, he will refuse to believe it. If, on the other hand, he is offered something which affords a reason for acting in accordance to his instincts, he will accept it even on the slightest evidence. The origin of myths is explained in this way. - Bertrand Russell
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 06/30/2007 :  22:12:22   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Does not science show that methane is produced from non bionic sources?
Why don't you reply to my response to you on that very subject?

Evidently, I rock!
Go to Top of Page

Valiant Dancer
Forum Goalie

USA
4826 Posts

Posted - 06/30/2007 :  22:40:10   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Valiant Dancer's Homepage Send Valiant Dancer a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Dave, what if wishes were horses?---Than beggers would ride.

http://www.worldnetdaily.com/news/article.asp?ARTICLE_ID=47675

""We have determined that Titan's methane is not of biologic origin," reports Hasso Niemann of the Goddard Space Flight Center, a principal NASA investigator responsible for the Gas Chromatograph Mass Spectrometer aboard the Cassini-Huygens probe that landed on Titan Jan. 14."

And when you quote wingnut daily, it doesn't help your cause.

World Net Daily is a known religious advocacy site that continually presents fringe ideas as mainstream, fabricates entire stories out of wholecloth, and generally misrepresents every non-Christian religion, agnosticism, and atheism.

Take a look at the About page for the site. Then research the administration. You'll find strong links to extremist sects of Christianty. Add in the serious journalistic fabrications and you have an unreliable source.

Cthulhu/Asmodeus when you're tired of voting for the lesser of two evils

Brother Cutlass of Reasoned Discussion
Go to Top of Page

Valiant Dancer
Forum Goalie

USA
4826 Posts

Posted - 06/30/2007 :  22:44:27   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Valiant Dancer's Homepage Send Valiant Dancer a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Originally posted by Dude

Jerome said:

Thanks for your thoughts. Does not science show that methane is produced from non bionic sources?

Bionic? I'll go ask Steve Rodgers.

And I'll throw a flag on the play for the logical fallacy of composition. (Because some parts of the whole have a trait, it is logically invalid to attribute that trait to all other parts.)

Cthulhu/Asmodeus when you're tired of voting for the lesser of two evils

Brother Cutlass of Reasoned Discussion
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 07/01/2007 :  08:01:59   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Valiant Dancer

Bionic? I'll go ask Steve Rodgers.
Steve Austin.

Evidently, I rock!
Go to Top of Page

JEROME DA GNOME
BANNED

2418 Posts

Posted - 07/01/2007 :  10:58:49   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send JEROME DA GNOME a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Valiant Dancer

Dave, what if wishes were horses?---Than beggers would ride.

http://www.worldnetdaily.com/news/article.asp?ARTICLE_ID=47675

""We have determined that Titan's methane is not of biologic origin," reports Hasso Niemann of the Goddard Space Flight Center, a principal NASA investigator responsible for the Gas Chromatograph Mass Spectrometer aboard the Cassini-Huygens probe that landed on Titan Jan. 14."

And when you quote wingnut daily, it doesn't help your cause.

World Net Daily is a known religious advocacy site that continually presents fringe ideas as mainstream, fabricates entire stories out of wholecloth, and generally misrepresents every non-Christian religion, agnosticism, and atheism.

Take a look at the About page for the site. Then research the administration. You'll find strong links to extremist sects of Christianty. Add in the serious journalistic fabrications and you have an unreliable source.

I quoted a NASA scientist. When one discounts information that one does not what to face one is not skeptical.

Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 07/01/2007 :  11:34:09   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote

I quoted a NASA scientist. When one discounts information that one does not what to face one is not skeptical.
You didn't quote a NASA scientist saying that Earth's oil may be of a non-biological source. World Net Daily quoted that NASA scientist because they're trying to make a case for a 6,000-year-old Earth, and so they need to discount the idea that Earth's oil is older than that. That you and they make the same illogical leap doesn't mean that the NASA scientist does, too.

Evidently, I rock!
Go to Top of Page

JEROME DA GNOME
BANNED

2418 Posts

Posted - 07/01/2007 :  11:42:53   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send JEROME DA GNOME a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Dave W.

You didn't quote a NASA scientist saying that Earth's oil may be of a non-biological source. World Net Daily quoted that NASA scientist because they're trying to make a case for a 6,000-year-old Earth, and so they need to discount the idea that Earth's oil is older than that. That you and they make the same illogical leap doesn't mean that the NASA scientist does, too.

Why do you tend to discount facts based on the reason behind the presentation of those facts. The reason of presentation does not change the fact.

Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 07/01/2007 :  11:54:52   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Why do you tend to discount facts based on the reason behind the presentation of those facts. The reason of presentation does not change the fact.
I didn't discount any facts. It's a fact that methane can be produced abiotically. It's a fact that most methane found on Earth was produced by bacteria. It's a fact that Titan's methane is likely abiotic. None of these facts offer any support to the hypothesis that naturally-occuring oil on Earth may have been created by abiotic processes. And it's a fact that said hypothesis is primarily proposed by young-Earth creationists who seek to bend science to their faith. Where have I denied any facts?

Evidently, I rock!
Go to Top of Page

JEROME DA GNOME
BANNED

2418 Posts

Posted - 07/01/2007 :  12:07:14   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send JEROME DA GNOME a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Dave, so let my get this straight. You believe it unlikely that petroleum could be formed abiotically like methane because it is much more complex than methane. Yet, you believe that the complexity of life was formed abiotically.

Do you not see the contridiction.

Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 07/01/2007 :  12:30:52   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Dave, so let my get this straight. You believe it unlikely that petroleum could be formed abiotically like methane because it is much more complex than methane. Yet, you believe that the complexity of life was formed abiotically.

Do you not see the contridiction.
There is no contradiction, since we have no evidence for the former, and we have some evidence of the latter. The complexity of the molecules isn't the only consideration to be made under such a comparison, so your questions is apples and oranges.

However, your contention, and that of World Net Daily, is that because the simplest hydrocarbon molecule can be created abiotically, that means that all hydrocarbons might be created abiotically. That's a logical leap that defies what we know of the chemistry involved.

So again, what facts am I discounting?

Evidently, I rock!
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 9 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.38 seconds.