Bummer... you missed the plane.
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Dr. Mabuse
Septic Fiend

Sweden
9687 Posts

Posted - 07/05/2007 :  07:46:57  Show Profile  Send Dr. Mabuse an ICQ Message Send Dr. Mabuse a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Renown Swedish Soul singer and poker player, Dilba missed her plane to USA to play in World Series of Poker in Las Vegas.

She was standing in line for the Check-In of US Airlines, waiting.
Apparently, the security staff goes around interviewing all passengers as some kind of backup check before the Check-In. I can't recall that ever happening to me, but then I only travelled within the EU.
Anyway, it was time for Dilba to answer the questions, she started out patiently. But rather soon, she became annoyed that she had to answer many more questions than the rest of the passengers. Feeling singled out because of her Arabic looks (she's Kurdish), in exasperation, she joked about blowing up a few planes on her way home.

The security crew didn't have her sense of humour though.
She was yanked out of the line and taken aside for further questioning (treated like a terrorist according to Dilba), and was banned from US Airlines' flights for life.

Let's hope I'll be able to constrain myself when it gets time for me. I'll try to remember as many of the questions as possible.

Dr. Mabuse - "When the going gets tough, the tough get Duct-tape..."
Dr. Mabuse whisper.mp3

"Equivocation is not just a job, for a creationist it's a way of life..." Dr. Mabuse

Support American Troops in Iraq:
Send them unarmed civilians for target practice..
Collateralmurder.

GeeMack
SFN Regular

USA
1093 Posts

Posted - 07/05/2007 :  08:10:56   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send GeeMack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Dr. Mabuse...

Let's hope I'll be able to constrain myself when it gets time for me. I'll try to remember as many of the questions as possible.
Carry a digital voice recorder in your shirt pocket.
Go to Top of Page

Dr. Mabuse
Septic Fiend

Sweden
9687 Posts

Posted - 07/05/2007 :  08:26:36   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Dr. Mabuse an ICQ Message Send Dr. Mabuse a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by GeeMack

Originally posted by Dr. Mabuse...

Carry a digital voice recorder in your shirt pocket.

I'll have to purchase one... But I've been meaning to buy an iPod or similar anyway so, this seems as good a time as any.
(did that last sentence parse correctly?)

Dr. Mabuse whisper.mp3

"Equivocation is not just a job, for a creationist it's a way of life..." Dr. Mabuse

Collateralmurder.
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 07/05/2007 :  09:26:22   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
There are some things one just doesn't do. One doesn't call a high-school principle and joke about setting the school on fire. One doesn't joke about a robbery while waiting in line at the bank. And one doesn't joke about blowing up airplanes while talking to airline security.

As a private entity, the airline is free to set almost whatever restrictions they like on granting passage on their airplanes to people, even to the point of inventing random "rules" on a whim. They could have demanded that Dilba do a handstand in order to get on the plane, if they so chose. I'm sure everyone will agree that the airline should be fair, but there are few laws that give them such an obligation.

Of course, if Dilba had suspected a racial motivation to the extreme questioning, there are laws to redress such wrongs. However, because security obviously thought they were in the clear, anything more than a patient reminder from her that the airline is obligated to not discriminate on the basis of race would be a waste of time, and just annoy her and security even more. The proper place and time to raise a big stink about such incidents is after you've landed and in court. Because even if she hadn't made such a poorly considered joke, if she'd gotten angry enough to argue with them, they could have simply labeled her "disruptive" and she would have stayed home, too.

Don't screw around with airline security, Mab. If they happen to notice that you're recording them, you'll miss your plane.

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Why not question something for a change?
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.
Go to Top of Page

Dr. Mabuse
Septic Fiend

Sweden
9687 Posts

Posted - 07/05/2007 :  13:26:00   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Dr. Mabuse an ICQ Message Send Dr. Mabuse a Private Message  Reply with Quote
So, they don't even like to be recorded?
In that case, the iPod goes into the hand luggage.

Missing this plane is the last think I would like to do.

Dr. Mabuse whisper.mp3

Collateralmurder.
Go to Top of Page

Dude
SFN Die Hard

USA
6891 Posts

Posted - 07/05/2007 :  18:02:50   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Dude a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I am not sure if audio recording is banned, but video recording defitely is banned in airports in the US.

When I fly these days I just ignore the halfwit security as much as possible. In the US (I don't imagine its much different elsewhere) the large majority of the post 9/11 airport security people are idiots. No point arguing with them because even if you are in the right they can mess your schedule up beyond repair.

I just laugh out loud and look at them as if they were retarded while putting my shoes into the xray machine.

Ignorance is preferable to error; and he is less remote from the truth who believes nothing, than he who believes what is wrong.
-- Thomas Jefferson

"god :: the last refuge of a man with no answers and no argument." - G. Carlin

Hope, n.
The handmaiden of desperation; the opiate of despair; the illegible signpost on the road to perdition. ~~ da filth
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 07/05/2007 :  18:29:03   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Just to clarify, I know nothing of the rules regarding audio recordings of airport/airline security.

What I do know is that if they think you're messing with them, they will mess with you.

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Why not question something for a change?
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 07/05/2007 :  19:00:16   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
... she joked about blowing up a few planes on her way home.
If any of us had, on US soil, made such a threat in an airport, I guarantee that missing a plane would be the least of our worries for the next days, weeks, or months. I could not imagine allowing any airport security guard to continue his or her employment if they let anyone board a plane after uttering such words.

Since well before 9/11, people in the airline industry here, and I assume it's the same worldwide (including Sweden), just don't think bomb "jokes" are very funny. For many years now, I have completely wiped that b-word from my vocabulary when anywhere near a plane or an airport.

Air transport security is far from perfect, but it's a lot better than none. Please, Mab, just relax and take it easy when you go through security! Think of how much more irritating and inconvenient it would be if you had to take rude orders from an armed hijacker, instead.

(This doesn't count as one of my acts of picking on you.)

Biology is just physics that has begun to smell bad.” —HalfMooner
Here's a link to Moonscape News, and one to its Archive.
Edited by - HalfMooner on 07/05/2007 19:01:13
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.16 seconds.