Humor
 Al-Qaida?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

JEROME DA GNOME
BANNED

2418 Posts

Posted - 07/11/2007 :  23:20:41  Show Profile Send JEROME DA GNOME a Private Message  Reply with Quote
An American member of al-Qaida warned President Bush on a videotape on Tuesday to end U.S. more... involvement in all Muslim lands or face an attack worse than the Sept. 11 suicide assault.

Is this guy a joke?

This guy seems like a bad actor from a B movie.

What a man believes upon grossly insufficient evidence is an index into his desires -- desires of which he himself is often unconscious. If a man is offered a fact which goes against his instincts, he will scrutinize it closely, and unless the evidence is overwhelming, he will refuse to believe it. If, on the other hand, he is offered something which affords a reason for acting in accordance to his instincts, he will accept it even on the slightest evidence. The origin of myths is explained in this way. - Bertrand Russell

Robb
SFN Regular

USA
1223 Posts

Posted - 07/12/2007 :  06:22:50   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Robb a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by JEROME DA GNOME

An American member of al-Qaida warned President Bush on a videotape on Tuesday to end U.S. more... involvement in all Muslim lands or face an attack worse than the Sept. 11 suicide assault.

Is this guy a joke?

This guy seems like a bad actor from a B movie.

Thats all they want? Why did he throw in VA Tech?

Government is not reason; it is not eloquent; it is force. Like fire, it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master. - George Washington
Go to Top of Page

JEROME DA GNOME
BANNED

2418 Posts

Posted - 07/12/2007 :  12:59:09   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send JEROME DA GNOME a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Robb

Thats all they want? Why did he throw in VA Tech?

I know, why the VT thing?

The whole things sounds hokey. (no pun intended)

What a man believes upon grossly insufficient evidence is an index into his desires -- desires of which he himself is often unconscious. If a man is offered a fact which goes against his instincts, he will scrutinize it closely, and unless the evidence is overwhelming, he will refuse to believe it. If, on the other hand, he is offered something which affords a reason for acting in accordance to his instincts, he will accept it even on the slightest evidence. The origin of myths is explained in this way. - Bertrand Russell
Go to Top of Page

JohnOAS
SFN Regular

Australia
800 Posts

Posted - 07/12/2007 :  17:35:52   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit JohnOAS's Homepage Send JohnOAS a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm pretty sure that's actually Weird Al Yankovic. I reckon it sounds like him.

It would be hard to make up a more ridiculous set of demands in parody, assuming this isn't.

If this guy is serious, he's a complete loon. Even if some country/government individual wanted to comply, it would be impossible to do so.

John's just this guy, you know.
Go to Top of Page

JEROME DA GNOME
BANNED

2418 Posts

Posted - 07/12/2007 :  18:34:49   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send JEROME DA GNOME a Private Message  Reply with Quote
This guy is pitiful.

Never had a date he couldn't inflate!

Farty pants!

Go to Top of Page

Ricky
SFN Die Hard

USA
4907 Posts

Posted - 07/12/2007 :  18:43:43   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Ricky an AOL message Send Ricky a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by JohnOAS

It would be hard to make up a more ridiculous set of demands in parody, assuming this isn't.

If this guy is serious, he's a complete loon. Even if some country/government individual wanted to comply, it would be impossible to do so.

I don't think it's Weird Al nor do I think the demands are all that ridiculous. Ridiculous, yes, but not enough for a parody. But I still think it's a fake, especially with those horrible hand motions. I have a hard time believing this guy actually agrees with what he is saying.

Why continue? Because we must. Because we have the call. Because it is nobler to fight for rationality without winning than to give up in the face of continued defeats. Because whatever true progress humanity makes is through the rationality of the occasional individual and because any one individual we may win for the cause may do more for humanity than a hundred thousand who hug their superstitions to their breast.
- Isaac Asimov
Go to Top of Page

JEROME DA GNOME
BANNED

2418 Posts

Posted - 07/12/2007 :  18:51:54   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send JEROME DA GNOME a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Ricky
I don't think it's Weird Al nor do I think the demands are all that ridiculous. Ridiculous, yes, but not enough for a parody. But I still think it's a fake, especially with those horrible hand motions. I have a hard time believing this guy actually agrees with what he is saying.

What are your speculations as to who would make this video and why?

Go to Top of Page

JohnOAS
SFN Regular

Australia
800 Posts

Posted - 07/12/2007 :  19:10:46   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit JohnOAS's Homepage Send JohnOAS a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Ricky

I was kidding about it actually being Weird Al, but as I was watching it I couldn't help but think the voice and look reminded me of someone, and Weird Al it was. He probably would have made it a bit funnier.

A ban on all broadcasts to our region...

Change the laws of physics, or ban all broadcasts, sure, we can do that...

Free all imprisoned muslims

Can anyone else see a change in the next poll of prisoners' religion?

I agree with you that the guys speech and mannerisms are unusual for that sort of video.

John's just this guy, you know.
Go to Top of Page

Ricky
SFN Die Hard

USA
4907 Posts

Posted - 07/12/2007 :  20:38:02   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Ricky an AOL message Send Ricky a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well that's funny. I went back to watch it and it took me a while to conclude that it wasn't Al. He does look quite a lot like him, and with a little makeup here and there, I didn't think it was completely unreasonable.

Why continue? Because we must. Because we have the call. Because it is nobler to fight for rationality without winning than to give up in the face of continued defeats. Because whatever true progress humanity makes is through the rationality of the occasional individual and because any one individual we may win for the cause may do more for humanity than a hundred thousand who hug their superstitions to their breast.
- Isaac Asimov
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 07/12/2007 :  21:23:46   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
That was Weird Al Qaeda.

Biology is just physics that has begun to smell bad.” —HalfMooner
Here's a link to Moonscape News, and one to its Archive.
Go to Top of Page

moakley
SFN Regular

USA
1888 Posts

Posted - 07/13/2007 :  04:37:39   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send moakley a Private Message  Reply with Quote

No. That guy was pathetically sincere.

Life is good

Philosophy is questions that may never be answered. Religion is answers that may never be questioned. -Anonymous
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 07/13/2007 :  05:10:48   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
This reminds me of the way I used to argue for my fading Marxist-Leninist beliefs, back when I was in my twenties. The less I came to believe in it all, the more strident and ardent I sounded. I can still hear that same nervous, false note in my voice. The world is seen in stark, authoritarian black and white. Good and evil, or thesis and antithesis. In my opinion, this American is a guy who's just starting to realize that his whole belief system is a dangerous sham, though he's trying hard to convince himself otherwise. Soon, he'll want to run, but it may be too late for him.

Screw all attractive ideologies, and the bastards who exploit people with them.

Biology is just physics that has begun to smell bad.” —HalfMooner
Here's a link to Moonscape News, and one to its Archive.
Edited by - HalfMooner on 07/13/2007 05:13:41
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.17 seconds.