Save Password
Forgot your Password?
Home | Forums | Active Topics | Active Polls | Register | FAQ | Contact Us  
  Connect: Chat | SFN Messenger | Buddy List | Members
Personalize: Profile | My Page | Forum Bookmarks  
 All Forums
 Our Skeptic Forums
 Astronomy
 Does Plasm Not Gravity Structure the Universe?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

Valiant Dancer
Forum Goalie

USA
4826 Posts

Posted - 07/18/2007 :  18:59:22   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Valiant Dancer's Homepage Send Valiant Dancer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by JEROME DA GNOME

Originally posted by marfknox

Jerome wrote:
I am currently reading per your suggestion. It does not begin well for the skeptics with these attacks on the first page:
You are just distracting from the main issue. If we are arguing about what 1+1 equals, I am just as right if I answer "2, jackass" as if I answer "2". So why don't you refrain from pointing out the insults in between and pay attention to the meat of peoples' arguments.

So, why did you attempt a sly insult as opposed to a reasoned response?

Funny, I don't see an insult.

I see a reasoned response that includes an example of how the answer is right no matter how it is delivered.

I also see clear evidence of your red herring argument. (One of the odd fundie games.)

Cthulhu/Asmodeus when you're tired of voting for the lesser of two evils

Brother Cutlass of Reasoned Discussion
Go to Top of Page

Valiant Dancer
Forum Goalie

USA
4826 Posts

Posted - 07/18/2007 :  19:06:08   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Valiant Dancer's Homepage Send Valiant Dancer a Private Message  Reply with Quote

There seems to be a number of scientific groups currently studying the idea of space plasm, and the idea of electromagnetism and plasmas being the forming agent of the universe.

Plasma Astrophysics References

U.S.-based Research Groups

Theoretical Astrophysics Center, University of California at Berkeley

Plasma Science & Technology Institute, UCLA, Los Angeles, California

Center for High Energy Density Plasmas, Cornell University, Ithaca, New York

Department of Physics and Astronomy, University of Iowa, Iowa City, Iowa

Institute for Research in Electronics & Applied Physics, University of Maryland, College Park

Center for Space Research and Plasma Science & Fusion Center, MIT

Center for Theoretical Geo/Cosmo Plasma Physics, MIT

Program in Plasma Physics, Princeton University
graduate program in basic plasma physics, magnetic fusion, and plasma astrophysics

Space Physics & Astronomy, Rice University Houston, Texas

Toshi Tajima, University of Texas, Austin, Texas

Oliver Manuel, Dept of Chemistry, Univ. of Missouri-Rolla
cosmo-chemistry; isotope mass spectroscopy for origin of elements in the solar-system

These do not seem like crackpot groups.

Universe formation, when everything was jammed together.

It's sort of like the line in "A Fish Called Wanda", "Monkeys read Nieche! They just don't understand it!"

Sort of like you. You read the material and then cherry pick it to say what you want then turn around and make a fallacious appeal to authority where you have subverted the product of these respected groups research and make claims which those groups do not.

This is intellectual dishonesty.

And spare us all the "poor picked on me" bit, nobody's buying it.

Cthulhu/Asmodeus when you're tired of voting for the lesser of two evils

Brother Cutlass of Reasoned Discussion
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 07/18/2007 :  19:32:09   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote

There seems to be a number of scientific groups currently studying the idea of space plasm, and the idea of electromagnetism and plasmas being the forming agent of the universe.
Find a page at each resource which indicates that they are studying some sort of plasma cosmology. After all, plasma astrophysics is an important line of research which isn't at all crackpotted. Plasma cosmology is what the Thunderbolts Project is all about.

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Why not question something for a change?
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.
Go to Top of Page

JohnOAS
SFN Regular

Australia
800 Posts

Posted - 07/19/2007 :  18:21:49   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit JohnOAS's Homepage Send JohnOAS a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Originally posted by Dave W.
By the way, gravity is only the weakest force up to the scale of biological cells. At the scale of galaxies, gravity is dominant because most matter at such scales is electrically neutral.

Gravity's force increases with scale and is greater than magnetism?

What is more powerful:

The earths gravity

A hand held magnet

I have a request, and I'm confident it's one you can manage with little effort. Could you drop the smiley at the end of your post which seems entirely unrelatated to the content and/or tone of your post.

Alternatively, if it turns out I'm just too obtuse to understand the context, how about adding a couple of words clearing it up for me.

Some examples:

I'm kidding.

You'll wish I was kidding.

This is a test, designed to provoke an emotional response.

This is a joke.

You'll wish this was a joke.

My medication is on backorder.

I'm so smart and I just know no one is going to get this.

That is funny.

This smiley is a part of the template I cut and paste all my posts from.

The devil made me do it.

I'm sure there are other options I've missed, but hopefully, you'll get the idea.

John's just this guy, you know.
Edited by - JohnOAS on 07/19/2007 18:22:43
Go to Top of Page

JEROME DA GNOME
BANNED

2418 Posts

Posted - 07/19/2007 :  18:33:00   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send JEROME DA GNOME a Private Message  Reply with Quote

That was funny and to the point. I get it!

I did not understand that the smiley was so contentious.

Sorry for my inexperience with protocol.

The funny thing is I remember talking to people on the internet before typing in caps was considered yelling. I have not conversed through the internet in some time as you can see.

[insert thank you smiley}

What a man believes upon grossly insufficient evidence is an index into his desires -- desires of which he himself is often unconscious. If a man is offered a fact which goes against his instincts, he will scrutinize it closely, and unless the evidence is overwhelming, he will refuse to believe it. If, on the other hand, he is offered something which affords a reason for acting in accordance to his instincts, he will accept it even on the slightest evidence. The origin of myths is explained in this way. - Bertrand Russell
Go to Top of Page

Cuneiformist
The Imperfectionist

USA
4955 Posts

Posted - 07/19/2007 :  18:34:51   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Cuneiformist a Private Message  Reply with Quote
JohnOAS, thanks for that. I find the utterly deranged use by Jerome of the smilies to be completely rude.
Go to Top of Page

JEROME DA GNOME
BANNED

2418 Posts

Posted - 07/19/2007 :  18:37:05   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send JEROME DA GNOME a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Cuneiformist

JohnOAS, thanks for that. I find the utterly deranged use by Jerome of the smilies to be completely rude.

Hey, I did not know!

No intention of being rude.

Sorry for the misunderstanding on my part concerning protocol.

What a man believes upon grossly insufficient evidence is an index into his desires -- desires of which he himself is often unconscious. If a man is offered a fact which goes against his instincts, he will scrutinize it closely, and unless the evidence is overwhelming, he will refuse to believe it. If, on the other hand, he is offered something which affords a reason for acting in accordance to his instincts, he will accept it even on the slightest evidence. The origin of myths is explained in this way. - Bertrand Russell
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 07/19/2007 :  20:43:25   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote

I already pointed out that it seemed to me like that smiley said, more or less, that you knew what you'd just posted was full of crap.
The funny thing is I remember talking to people on the internet before typing in caps was considered yelling.
All-caps has been considered yelling for more than 20 years, back when the Internet was still ARPANET.

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Why not question something for a change?
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.
Go to Top of Page

JEROME DA GNOME
BANNED

2418 Posts

Posted - 07/19/2007 :  21:07:45   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send JEROME DA GNOME a Private Message  Reply with Quote
test

Go to Top of Page

JEROME DA GNOME
BANNED

2418 Posts

Posted - 07/19/2007 :  21:13:48   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send JEROME DA GNOME a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Dave W.

I already pointed out that it seemed to me like that smiley said, more or less, that you knew what you'd just posted was full of crap.

I never "got" what you were saying. It seemed like jabs at the argument without having to argue.

Jerome
The funny thing is I remember talking to people on the internet before typing in caps was considered yelling.

Dave

All-caps has been considered yelling for more than 20 years, back when the Internet was still ARPANET.

When I first went on the internet to converse I only found chat rooms. It was never said or implied that all caps were yelling. I have lurked from time to time on others conversations over the years and I did learn that this is considered yelling(forgot in my first post). This is a new culture for me as far as interaction is concerned. It would have been helpful to all if it was not assumed that I completely understood the current culture and allowed my offense to go without a simple statement of the protocol.

Go to Top of Page

Cuneiformist
The Imperfectionist

USA
4955 Posts

Posted - 07/20/2007 :  03:58:39   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Cuneiformist a Private Message  Reply with Quote
When I first went on the internet to converse I only found chat rooms. It was never said or implied that all caps were yelling. I have lurked from time to time on others conversations over the years and I did learn that this is considered yelling(forgot in my first post). This is a new culture for me as far as interaction is concerned. It would have been helpful to all if it was not assumed that I completely understood the current culture and allowed my offense to go without a simple statement of the protocol.
People can correct me if I'm wrong on this, but in general:

is what you use when you're kidding.
I see that the chat sign was left on again, last night. Looks like we're going to have to fire Ricky.

means that you're really happy.
I just got my dream job!

Hey, it's been awhile since you've been here at SFN. Welcome back!

means "I'm laughing"
Halfmooner, I loved that headline!

Did you just say that you think the Bible is literally true? Really?

Note that if you use the in the way seen in that last example (as you often do), the person to whom you're responding is going to take it as hostile. After all, you're essentially laughing at them.

can be used in a number of ways. Often, it's just a subdued , but it can also serve other functions, such as to show a lack of hostility.
Thanks for explaining that; it appears I was wrong

I'm going on vacation, so I'll see you guys next week!

See how this works, Jerome?

is an eye roll, and means "whatever"-- just like it does in real life!
Go to Top of Page

Dr. Mabuse
Septic Fiend

Sweden
9687 Posts

Posted - 07/20/2007 :  06:16:03   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Dr. Mabuse an ICQ Message Send Dr. Mabuse a Private Message  Reply with Quote

That was funny and to the point. I get it!

Are you saying that your meds really is on back order?
Because that would explain the contents of most of your posts so far.

Dr. Mabuse - "When the going gets tough, the tough get Duct-tape..."
Dr. Mabuse whisper.mp3

"Equivocation is not just a job, for a creationist it's a way of life..." Dr. Mabuse

Support American Troops in Iraq:
Send them unarmed civilians for target practice..
Collateralmurder.
Go to Top of Page

JEROME DA GNOME
BANNED

2418 Posts

Posted - 07/20/2007 :  07:00:32   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send JEROME DA GNOME a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Cuneiformist

People can correct me if I'm wrong on this, but in general:

is what you use when you're kidding.
I see that the chat sign was left on again, last night. Looks like we're going to have to fire Ricky.

means that you're really happy.
I just got my dream job!

Hey, it's been awhile since you've been here at SFN. Welcome back!

means "I'm laughing"
Halfmooner, I loved that headline!

Did you just say that you think the Bible is literally true? Really?

Note that if you use the in the way seen in that last example (as you often do), the person to whom you're responding is going to take it as hostile. After all, you're essentially laughing at them.

can be used in a number of ways. Often, it's just a subdued , but it can also serve other functions, such as to show a lack of hostility.
Thanks for explaining that; it appears I was wrong

I'm going on vacation, so I'll see you guys next week!

See how this works, Jerome?

is an eye roll, and means "whatever"-- just like it does in real life!

Thanks for the information!

I believe this will allow more understanding in our talks.

I am sorry for the misunderstanding on my part of the perceived use of the smilies.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.56 seconds.