Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

Orwellingly Yurz
SFN Regular

USA
529 Posts

Posted - 07/22/2007 :  21:21:08   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Orwellingly Yurz a Private Message  Reply with Quote
YO: I just have one favorite book I want to list.

"My Pet Goat"

OY OY !!!

"The modern conservative...is engaged in one of man's oldest exercises in moral philosophy. That is the search for a superior moral justification for selfishness."
--John Kenneth Galbraith

If dogs run free
Then what must be,
Must be...
And that is all
--Bob Dylan

The neo-cons have gotten welfare for themselves down to a fine art.
--me

"The meek shall inherit the earth, but not the mineral rights."
--J. Paul Getty

"The great thing about Art isn't what it give us, but what we become through it."
--Oscar Wilde

"We have Art in order not to die of life."
--Albert Camus

"I cling like a miser to the freedom I lose when surrounded by an abundance of things."
--Albert Camus

"Experience is the name so many people give to their mistakes."
--Oscar Wilde
Go to Top of Page

moakley
SFN Regular

USA
1888 Posts

Posted - 07/23/2007 :  18:55:05   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send moakley a Private Message  Reply with Quote
"The Hitchhiker's Guide" by Douglas Adams
"Dirk Gently's Holistic Detective Agency" by Douglas Adams
"The Chronicles of Thomas Covenant the Unbeliever" by Stephen R. Donaldson
"Mirror of Her Dreams" by Stephen R. Donaldson
"The Hobbit" by J. R. R. Tolkien
"The Lord of the Rings" by J. R. R. Tolkien
"The Demon-Haunted World: Science as a Candle in the Dark" by Carl Sagan
"Pale Blue Dot: A Vision of the Human Future in Space" by Carl Sagan
"Unweaving The Rainbow" by Richard Dawkins
"The Selfish Gene" by Richard Dawkins
"1776" by David McCollough
"Dune Chronicles" by Frank Herbert
"Slaughterhouse Five" by Kurt Vonnegut
"Without Remorse" by Tom Clancy

Life is good

Philosophy is questions that may never be answered. Religion is answers that may never be questioned. -Anonymous
Go to Top of Page

Chippewa
SFN Regular

USA
1496 Posts

Posted - 07/24/2007 :  00:48:31   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Chippewa's Homepage Send Chippewa a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've read all of them over the years except "The Chronicles of Thomas Covenant the Unbeliever" and "Mirror of Her Dreams". Great list; some real classics there and terrific writing. Thanks for posting.

Diversity, independence, innovation and imagination are progressive concepts ultimately alien to the conservative mind.

"TAX AND SPEND" IS GOOD! (TAX: Wealthy corporations who won't go poor even after taxes. SPEND: On public works programs, education, the environment, improvements.)
Go to Top of Page

Trish
SFN Addict

USA
2102 Posts

Posted - 07/25/2007 :  21:59:41   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Trish a Private Message  Reply with Quote
1. Speed of Dark by Elizabeth Moon (Great 'what if' kind of book)
2. The Deed of Paksenarrion by Elizabeth Moon (Really good tactics and battle formations for sword fighting) Consists of the three books Sheepfarmer's Daughter, Divided Allegiance, and Oath in Gold
3. Once a Hero, Rules of Engagement, Change of Command, and Against the Odds by Elizabeth Moon (Military Sci-Fi - great how she pieces together the performance of troops in combat)
4. Honor Harrington Series of books by David Weber (He's more concerned with technology in combat also military sci-fi.)
5. Kris Longknife series by Mike Shepherd (A fairly new series out - but good military sci-fi.)
6. The Xili Series of books by Stephen Baxter (Really hard science fiction. You can also add most anything by him to this list.)
7. LOTR and the Hobbit, Silmarillion, and Lost Tales of Numenore
8. American Gods by Neil Gaiman
9. Anything by Terry Pratchet (I'd suggest starting with Small Gods - but any will do.)
10. Flags of Our Fathers (What can I say - I'm a Marine.)
11. No Sense of Obligation by Matt Young (and not just because I know the guy)
12. The Republican War on Science
13. Demon Haunted World: Science as a Candle in the Dark (Obviously)
14. Guns, Germs, and Steel
15. To Kill A Mockingbird (Had to read in HS and reread just recently - was better the second time round - I understood it)
16. Lord of the Flies.
17. Anything by Clifford D. Simac (Though I've been unable to find any of his books recently - looks like he dropped off the face of the planet - but great humor.)
18. Dragons Dawn by Anne McCafferey
19. For Us, The Living; The Moon is a Harsh Mistress; and Sixth Column by Robert A. Heinlein
20. Conversations About the End of Time by Stephen Jay Gould, Umberto Eco, Jean-Claude Carriere, and Jean Delumeau

And so many others that I could think of given the time

...no one has ever found a 4.5 billion year old stone artifact (at the right geological stratum) with the words "Made by God."
No Sense of Obligation by Matt Young

"Say what you will about the sweet miracle of unquestioning faith. I consider the capacity for it terrifying and vile!"
Mother Night by Kurt Vonnegut, Jr.

They (Women Marines) don't have a nickname, and they don't need one. They get their basic training in a Marine atmosphere, at a Marine Post. They inherit the traditions of the Marines. They are Marines.
LtGen Thomas Holcomb, USMC
Commandant of the Marine Corps, 1943
Go to Top of Page

marfknox
SFN Die Hard

USA
3739 Posts

Posted - 07/26/2007 :  12:46:42   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit marfknox's Homepage  Send marfknox an AOL message Send marfknox a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Chippewa wrote:
The Origin of Consciousness in the Breakdown of the Bicameral Mind – Julian Jaynes
I'd never heard of that book anywhere else, except from my one friend Jeff who read it in HS and was hugely influenced by it. He is 30 now and still mentions and recommends it all the time.

"Too much certainty and clarity could lead to cruel intolerance" -Karen Armstrong

Check out my art store: http://www.marfknox.etsy.com

Go to Top of Page

marfknox
SFN Die Hard

USA
3739 Posts

Posted - 07/26/2007 :  13:05:41   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit marfknox's Homepage  Send marfknox an AOL message Send marfknox a Private Message  Reply with Quote
1. To Hell With Culture by Herbert Read
2. Kingdom of Fear by Hunter S. Thompson
3. Doubt: A History by Jennifer Hecht,
4. The Brothers Karamazov by Dostoyevski
5. A Peoples History of the United States by Howard Zinn
6. Catch-22 by Joseph Heller
7. A Brief History of Time by Stephen Hawkins
9. Mother Nature by Sarah Hrdy
10. The First Three Minutes by Stephen Weinberg
11. The Culture We Deserve by Jacques Barzun
12. The 48 Laws of Power by Robert Greene
13. Art and Humanist Ideals: Contemporary Perspectivs edited by William Kelly
14. From Dawn to Decadence by Jacque Barzun
15. The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy "trilogy" by Douglas Adams
16. The Mars Trilogy by Kim Stanley Robinson
17. The Complete Poems of Octavio Paz
18. Bluebeard by Kurt Vonnegut
19. Aphrodite: A Memoir of the Senses by Isabel Allende
20. The Handmaid's Tale by Margaret Atwood

"Too much certainty and clarity could lead to cruel intolerance" -Karen Armstrong

Edited by - marfknox on 07/26/2007 13:11:18
Go to Top of Page

Rubicon95
Skeptic Friend

USA
220 Posts

Posted - 07/26/2007 :  14:52:59   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Rubicon95 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
All of Jack London - except his plays
Harry Potter series.
Power of One - Bryce Courtney
Man's Search for Meaning - Viktor Frankel
What So Amazing About Grace - Phillip Yancey
The First Salute - Barbara Tuchman
Guns of August - Barabar Tuchman
Dreadnought: Coming of the Great War - Robert K Massie
Nicholas and Alexandra - Robert K Massie
Peter the Great - Robert K Massie
The Last Tsar - Eduard Radovinsky

5 Easy Pieces - Richard Feynman

The Stand - Stephen King
Starship Troopers - Robert Heinlin
Contact - Carl Sagan

Gilgamesh
The book of Job.

Go to Top of Page

astropin
SFN Regular

USA
970 Posts

Posted - 10/24/2007 :  12:08:09   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send astropin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
god is not great - Christopher Hitchens
Just about anything by Richard Dawkins & Sam Harris.

Some of my favorites:
Stranger in a Strange Land - Robert A. Heinlein
Ender's Game - Orson Scott Card
Shogun & Tai-Pan - James Clavell
Not to mention the several hundred novels I have sitting in my basement.....most of which are waiting to be read by my son.....he's 9 but has already read most of the Harry Potter series.

I would rather face a cold reality than delude myself with comforting fantasies.

You are free to believe what you want to believe and I am free to ridicule you for it.

Atheism:
The result of an unbiased and rational search for the truth.

Infinitus est numerus stultorum
Edited by - astropin on 10/24/2007 12:08:47
Go to Top of Page

The Rat
SFN Regular

Canada
1370 Posts

Posted - 10/24/2007 :  18:07:15   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit The Rat's Homepage Send The Rat a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Dave W.

1. The Demon-Haunted World: Science as a Candle in the Dark, by Carl Sagan.

2. um...

Agreed, not much left after that one.

Bailey's second law; There is no relationship between the three virtues of intelligence, education, and wisdom.

You fiend! Never have I encountered such corrupt and foul-minded perversity! Have you ever considered a career in the Church? - The Bishop of Bath and Wells, Blackadder II

Baculum's page: http://www.bebo.com/Profile.jsp?MemberId=3947338590
Go to Top of Page

Chippewa
SFN Regular

USA
1496 Posts

Posted - 10/25/2007 :  02:35:43   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Chippewa's Homepage Send Chippewa a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by marfknox

Chippewa wrote:
The Origin of Consciousness in the Breakdown of the Bicameral Mind – Julian Jaynes
I'd never heard of that book anywhere else, except from my one friend Jeff who read it in HS and was hugely influenced by it. He is 30 now and still mentions and recommends it all the time.

Hi Marf,
I didn't see your note until just now (10/25/2007!) I was out of town when you posted and this thread slipped off the back burner for a while.

I first read Julian Jaynes years ago after Dick Cavett interviewed him on his talk show back in the early 70s. The book is still fascinating and also has a beautifully expressive command of the English language. The many analogies he uses are imaginative too.

There's a website devoted to the Jaynes book that has a long audio clip of one of his lectures. The lecture in my opinion isn't as richly detailed as the book and maybe even unintentionally misleading, but still interesting.
http://www.julianjaynes.org/bicameralmind.php

Diversity, independence, innovation and imagination are progressive concepts ultimately alien to the conservative mind.

"TAX AND SPEND" IS GOOD! (TAX: Wealthy corporations who won't go poor even after taxes. SPEND: On public works programs, education, the environment, improvements.)
Go to Top of Page

ocheewah
Skeptic Friend

USA
50 Posts

Posted - 10/25/2007 :  06:45:36   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send ocheewah a Private Message  Reply with Quote
To add a few not previously mentioned:

I Never Promised You a Rose Garden - Joanne Greenberg
Mary, Queen of Scots - Antonia Fraser
The Oldest Living Confederate War Widow Tells All - Allan Gurganus
Einstein's Universe - Nigel Calder
Children of Promise - Charles Sullivan
Here is My Kingdom - Charles Sullivan

and my favorite book ever (I'm not kidding, it really is. Mostly due to personal experiences when my children were young) is written by Taro Gomi and entitled Everyone Poops.

Those who danced were thought quite insane by those who could not hear the music.
Edited by - ocheewah on 10/29/2007 06:40:37
Go to Top of Page

marfknox
SFN Die Hard

USA
3739 Posts

Posted - 10/25/2007 :  10:05:38   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit marfknox's Homepage  Send marfknox an AOL message Send marfknox a Private Message  Reply with Quote
ocheewah wrote:
and my favorite book ever (I'm not kidding, it really is. Mostly due to personal experiences when my children were young) is written by Taro Gomi and entitled Everyone Poops.
That's a great book. I gave a copy of it to my cousin for Winter Solstice a few years ago.

Go to Top of Page

marfknox
SFN Die Hard

USA
3739 Posts

Posted - 10/25/2007 :  10:06:46   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit marfknox's Homepage  Send marfknox an AOL message Send marfknox a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Chippewa wrote:
Hi Marf,
I didn't see your note until just now (10/25/2007!) I was out of town when you posted and this thread slipped off the back burner for a while.

I first read Julian Jaynes years ago after Dick Cavett interviewed him on his talk show back in the early 70s. The book is still fascinating and also has a beautifully expressive command of the English language. The many analogies he uses are imaginative too.

There's a website devoted to the Jaynes book that has a long audio clip of one of his lectures. The lecture in my opinion isn't as richly detailed as the book and maybe even unintentionally misleading, but still interesting.
Thanks!

Go to Top of Page

Gorgo
SFN Die Hard

USA
5310 Posts

Posted - 10/25/2007 :  10:26:15   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Gorgo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
A Fly Went By by by Mike McClintock.

I know the rent is in arrears
The dog has not been fed in years
It's even worse than it appears
But it's alright-
Jerry Garcia
Robert Hunter

Go to Top of Page

astropin
SFN Regular

USA
970 Posts

Posted - 10/25/2007 :  11:11:10   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send astropin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Chippewa

Originally posted by marfknox

Chippewa wrote:

Hi Marf,

So I've seen some talk about this book....but no additional 2 cents, if you will. Are people buying this hypothesis? What do you all think about this concept? I have a LONG way to go.....but from what I have read so far......I'm skeptical to say the least.

Anyone?

I would rather face a cold reality than delude myself with comforting fantasies.

You are free to believe what you want to believe and I am free to ridicule you for it.

Atheism:
The result of an unbiased and rational search for the truth.

Infinitus est numerus stultorum
Edited by - astropin on 10/26/2007 05:10:04
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.14 seconds.