Atheist doctors more likely to care for the poor
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Abdul Alhazred
Skeptic Friend

USA
58 Posts

Posted - 08/02/2007 :  19:41:38  Show Profile  Visit Abdul Alhazred's Homepage Send Abdul Alhazred a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It's a study, so I'm skeptical.

But it goes against what the conductor of the study expected, and that gives it some plausibility.

Atheist doctors more likely to care for the poor than religious ones

Atheist doctors are likely to practice medicine among the underprivileged than religious physicians, even though most religions call on the faithful to serve the poor, according to the results of large cross-sectional survey of US medical practitioners published in Annals of Family Medicine.

Researchers from the University of Chicago and Yale New Haven Hospital report that 31 percent of physicians who were more religious—as measured by "intrinsic religiosity" as well as frequency of attendance at religious services—practiced among the underserved, compared to 35 percent of physicians who described their religion as atheist, agnostic or none.

"This came as both a surprise and a disappointment," study author Farr Curlin, MD, said. "The Christian, Jewish, Muslim, Hindu and Buddhist scriptures all urge physicians to care for the poor, and the great majority of religious physicians describe their practice of medicine as a calling. Yet we found that religious physicians were not more likely to report practice among the underserved than their secular colleagues."

It's a bit more complex, so read the whole thing.

I'm posting this "around" so I'll report back if anything interesting develops.

The lack of a rational explanation is not evidence for an irrational explanation.

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 08/02/2007 :  20:00:58   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I liked this at the end of the article:
"No one knows how to select medical students in a way that would actually increase the number of physicians eager to serve the underserved," Curlin said, "but our findings suggest that admissions officials should ignore both the general religiousness of candidates and their professed sense of calling to medicine."
To my mind, this implies that atheists may have been, or still are, discriminated against by medical schools on a systematic basis.

Biology is just physics that has begun to smell bad.” —HalfMooner
Here's a link to Moonscape News, and one to its Archive.
Go to Top of Page

marfknox
SFN Die Hard

USA
3739 Posts

Posted - 08/02/2007 :  21:17:31   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit marfknox's Homepage  Send marfknox an AOL message Send marfknox a Private Message  Reply with Quote
To my mind, this implies that atheists may have been, or still are, discriminated against by medical schools on a systematic basis.
Doesn't necessarily mean that, but it does read that way, doesn't it.

"Too much certainty and clarity could lead to cruel intolerance" -Karen Armstrong

Check out my art store: http://www.marfknox.etsy.com

Go to Top of Page

Boron10
Religion Moderator

USA
1266 Posts

Posted - 08/02/2007 :  21:38:12   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Boron10 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I don't think there is a meaningful difference between 31% ("religious" doctors) and 35% ("atheist" doctors) in a sample of 1,144. Hardly a "large cross-sectional survey of US medical practitioners." Out of the half a million practicing Medical Doctors in the US, is 0.2% of random surveying a relevent sample?
From the article:

Researchers from the University of Chicago and Yale New Haven Hospital report that 31 percent of physicians who were more religious—as measured by "intrinsic religiosity" as well as frequency of attendance at religious services—practiced among the underserved, compared to 35 percent of physicians who described their religion as atheist, agnostic or none.
Curlin and colleagues surveyed 1,820 practicing physicians from all specialties of whom 1,144 (63%) responded.
That means there were 45 more people who didn't answer their questions in a "religious" manner. I would be interested to see a full list of questions asked in their surveys and a breakdown of the answers....

And then of course, even if the claim that "Atheist doctors [are] more likely to care for the poor than religious ones" were true, that could mean that working with the underpriveleged causes somebody to question religion ....
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 08/03/2007 :  02:41:15   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Boron10

And then of course, even if the claim that "Atheist doctors [are] more likely to care for the poor than religious ones" were true, that could mean that working with the underpriveleged causes somebody to question religion ....
Or it could mean that being religious causes some people to care less about the poor.

But seriously, I agree that this looks like a dead heat, statistically. I'm just glad that once again, there is no proof that atheism makes people evil.

Go to Top of Page

moakley
SFN Regular

USA
1888 Posts

Posted - 08/03/2007 :  04:47:31   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send moakley a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yeah. But I suspect that those religious doctors are much more willing to pray for the poor and underserved than an atheist doctor.

Life is good

Philosophy is questions that may never be answered. Religion is answers that may never be questioned. -Anonymous
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 08/03/2007 :  07:37:40   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by moakley

Yeah. But I suspect that those religious doctors are much more willing to pray for the poor and underserved than an atheist doctor.

To many doctors (going by that study, more than 60% of both theist and atheist), time donated to the poor can be seen as money lost, and also cuts into time on the greens. Prayer is a cheap substitute available to the religious doctor, something he quickly can do between appointments with pharmaceutical reps and investment brokers.

Go to Top of Page

Abdul Alhazred
Skeptic Friend

USA
58 Posts

Posted - 08/03/2007 :  07:56:09   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Abdul Alhazred's Homepage Send Abdul Alhazred a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by moakley

The lack of a rational explanation is not evidence for an irrational explanation.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.08 seconds.