General Skepticism
 Positive thinking can create a Utopia!
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

BigPapaSmurf
SFN Die Hard

3192 Posts

Posted - 08/03/2007 :  10:09:21  Show Profile Send BigPapaSmurf a Private Message  Reply with Quote
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/20094112/

Using group transcendental meditation, the assembly — which has 1,800 people meditating daily in Iowa since it was formed in July 2006 — releases harmonious waves which benefit all aspects of U.S. life, spokesman Bob Roth told Reuters.

And the group's leader, John Hagelin, said when that number reaches 2,500 within the next 12 months, America will see a major drop in crime and the virtual elimination of all major social and political woes.

Asked what it would take to achieve world peace, Hagelin said such a utopia would need 8,000 meditators.

They also take credit for the Stock market upswing and unemployment rates! The Dow will be at 17000 within a year thanks to them.

Really though we need to start a Bad Vibes Meditation Group ASAP so that they will have a good excuse when they fail miserably.

"...things I have neither seen nor experienced nor heard tell of from anybody else; things, what is more, that do not in fact exist and could not ever exist at all. So my readers must not believe a word I say." -Lucian on his book True History

"...They accept such things on faith alone, without any evidence. So if a fraudulent and cunning person who knows how to take advantage of a situation comes among them, he can make himself rich in a short time." -Lucian critical of early Christians c.166 AD From his book, De Morte Peregrini

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 08/03/2007 :  12:20:36   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by BigPapaSmurf

Using group transcendental meditation, the assembly — which has 1,800 people meditating daily in Iowa since it was formed in July 2006 — releases harmonious waves which benefit all aspects of U.S. life, spokesman Bob Roth told Reuters.

And the group's leader, John Hagelin, said when that number reaches 2,500 within the next 12 months, America will see a major drop in crime and the virtual elimination of all major social and political woes.

Asked what it would take to achieve world peace, Hagelin said such a utopia would need 8,000 meditators.

They also take credit for the Stock market upswing and unemployment rates! The Dow will be at 17000 within a year thanks to them.

Really though we need to start a Bad Vibes Meditation Group ASAP so that they will have a good excuse when they fail miserably.
They're way ahead of you. Bad vibes often go with the territory.
Warning: Meditating may be hazardous to your health

SFweekly.com/August 28, 2002
By Sandy Brundage and Bernice Yeung

Karen Long (a pseudonym), in her mid-20s, turned to meditation as a way to feel connected. "I wanted to experience that 'oneness with the universe,'" she says. At a nondenominational San Francisco temple, she hooked up with a group of women practicing a hodgepodge of relaxation techniques, drawn from books and discussions. Long spent one to two hours a day meditating over the next three years.

"Then I began hearing voices," she says. "I heard profound messages. The other people thought it was a sign of enlightenment. Some people at the temple told me that I had 'contacted a spiritual guide.' During my normal awake hours, I found myself feeling spacey sometimes."

Unconvinced that aural hallucinations were a sign from God, Long quit meditating. The voices stopped.

Long's experience isn't unique. Researchers have known for 30 years that meditating can have adverse health effects on some people, inducing psychological and physical problems ranging from muscle spasms to hallucinations. But around the Bay Area, eyes seem closed to the data.
I really don't know much about this. I suspect that it's a lot like anything else; a little is good but a lot can turn your head into a cheap grade of jambalaya.

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 08/03/2007 :  12:36:06   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Here's the website of these dingbats. Open the 'more info' link and see for yourself the Flying Pandits.....

And a brief thumb-through demonstrates that this, the Maharishi University of Management (it has golden towers), is no more than another cult complete with a donation button. I'm sure that it will thrive, at least until the next comet.

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

Randy
SFN Regular

USA
1990 Posts

Posted - 08/03/2007 :  12:46:41   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Randy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by BigPapaSmurf

[quote]Using group transcendental meditation, the assembly — which has 1,800 people meditating daily in Iowa since it was formed in July 2006 — releases harmonious waves which benefit all aspects of U.S. life, spokesman Bob Roth told Reuters.

You know...the boil on my butt has been drying up as of lately. Hm...I wonder.....

"We are all connected; to each other biologically, to the earth chemically, to the rest of the universe atomically."

"So you're made of detritus [from exploded stars]. Get over it. Or better yet, celebrate it. After all, what nobler thought can one cherish than that the universe lives within us all?"
-Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Go to Top of Page

Robb
SFN Regular

USA
1223 Posts

Posted - 08/03/2007 :  15:16:03   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Robb a Private Message  Reply with Quote
How has the group of 1,000–1,400 Yogic Flyers affected the country?
The effects have been dramatic, unexpected, and very positive, all in the direction of invincibility.

After four months of the hurricane season, not one hurricane has touched the shores of the country, in spite of predictions of a season as terrible as last year's.

After a few weeks of the 1,200 Yogic Flyers in Maharishi Vedic City and 200 Yogic Flyers in Washington, D.C., the Lebanon conflict quietly came to an end.

Concerns that soaring energy prices would undermine the U.S. economy are gone. Instead, since the Assembly began 64 days ago, the U.S. stock market has gained over 600 points — and is on the brink of its highest level ever.

The price of oil has fallen $18 dollars a barrel, and gasoline prices have plummeted to their lowest levels in six months (a 25% reduction), as have gold prices (indicating confidence in the economy). And the U.S. economy, floundering as recently as two months ago, was described this week by the head of the Federal Reserve Board as “robust.”

There are even healthy economic trends globally. The Associated Press writes: “The world economy is expanding, inflation and interest rates are stable, employment and incomes are rising — and almost wherever we look around the world, even in sub-Saharan Africa, these healthy trends seem set to continue in the year ahead.”

Then why did the bridge fall down in Minneapolis? If they can repel hurricanes, they surely can fix a bridge.

Government is not reason; it is not eloquent; it is force. Like fire, it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master. - George Washington
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 08/03/2007 :  16:18:07   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Have these Flying BPandits ever submitted themselves to scientific examination? (Yes, I do have a suspicion as to the answer to that.)

I have never seen one of them fly past, here in Half Moon Bay, and I am somewhat doubtful. Since the ability to perform levitation by simple mental/spiritual processes seems to be one of these people's primary claims, I would like to see proof of that before even considering whether these folks are on the verge of transforming the world into Happy Fun Land. Surely, if they can levitate themselves so easily, they could prove this to Randi.

Does anyone know, or have a guess, as to how they make those "flying" photos? I suspect it's not entirely Photoshopping, but I'm not sure. To me, the stills make it look as though these people are captured at the apogee of somehow bouncing off the floor. I wonder what's under that loose canvass in the "flying room." Hydraulic catapults?

Biology is just physics that has begun to smell bad.” —HalfMooner
Here's a link to Moonscape News, and one to its Archive.
Edited by - HalfMooner on 08/06/2007 05:43:48
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 08/06/2007 :  05:41:15   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
[sulk] Okay, thanks tons, guys! 2-1/2 days after I asked about this, I finally dug up my own damned answers. [/sulk] Here's what one physicist and fraud debunker, Bob Park, wrote in 2001 after witnessing a similar demonstration of Yogi the Flying Panda, or whatever the Hell the name is:
2. LEVITATION: THE "SCIENCE" OF YOGIC FLYING
It's a measure of how seriously the current situation is taken that two years ago Hagelin offered to end the violence in Kosovo with a mere 7,000 Yogic flyers (WN 9 Apr 99). He had come to Washington, DC with his proposal and in the most bizarre press conference in the history of the Press Club, he actually gave a demonstration of Yogic flying. Mattresses were spread right there on the floor, and 12 fit-looking young guys seated themselves in the lotus position. The audience was cautioned to make no sound as they meditated. After a few minutes, one of them suddenly levitated. Well, he didn't exactly float, mind you, just sort of popped up a couple of inches and thumped back down. Then another levitated, and another, till the scene looked like corn popping. There was nothing to suggest they didn't follow parabolic trajectories. My guess is they were suddenly contracting their gluteus maximus. It must be hard work. They were soon panting heavily.
These guys bounced their asses on mattresses! I'm so impressed. Anyone who could do that trick can obviously meditate the world into passivity.

Biology is just physics that has begun to smell bad.” —HalfMooner
Here's a link to Moonscape News, and one to its Archive.
Edited by - HalfMooner on 08/06/2007 12:49:14
Go to Top of Page

Siberia
SFN Addict

Brazil
2322 Posts

Posted - 08/06/2007 :  15:21:59   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Siberia's Homepage  Send Siberia an AOL message  Send Siberia a Yahoo! Message Send Siberia a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by HalfMooner

[sulk] Okay, thanks tons, guys! 2-1/2 days after I asked about this, I finally dug up my own damned answers. [/sulk] Here's what one physicist and fraud debunker, Bob Park, wrote in 2001 after witnessing a similar demonstration of Yogi the Flying Panda, or whatever the Hell the name is:
2. LEVITATION: THE "SCIENCE" OF YOGIC FLYING
It's a measure of how seriously the current situation is taken that two years ago Hagelin offered to end the violence in Kosovo with a mere 7,000 Yogic flyers (WN 9 Apr 99). He had come to Washington, DC with his proposal and in the most bizarre press conference in the history of the Press Club, he actually gave a demonstration of Yogic flying. Mattresses were spread right there on the floor, and 12 fit-looking young guys seated themselves in the lotus position. The audience was cautioned to make no sound as they meditated. After a few minutes, one of them suddenly levitated. Well, he didn't exactly float, mind you, just sort of popped up a couple of inches and thumped back down. Then another levitated, and another, till the scene looked like corn popping. There was nothing to suggest they didn't follow parabolic trajectories. My guess is they were suddenly contracting their gluteus maximus. It must be hard work. They were soon panting heavily.
These guys bounced their asses on mattresses! I'm so impressed. Anyone who could do that trick can obviously meditate the world into passivity.

But at least they get rock-solid butts.

"Why are you afraid of something you're not even sure exists?"
- The Kovenant, Via Negativa

"People who don't like their beliefs being laughed at shouldn't have such funny beliefs."
-- unknown
Go to Top of Page

BigPapaSmurf
SFN Die Hard

3192 Posts

Posted - 08/07/2007 :  05:15:23   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send BigPapaSmurf a Private Message  Reply with Quote
7-miunte abs!

"...things I have neither seen nor experienced nor heard tell of from anybody else; things, what is more, that do not in fact exist and could not ever exist at all. So my readers must not believe a word I say." -Lucian on his book True History

"...They accept such things on faith alone, without any evidence. So if a fraudulent and cunning person who knows how to take advantage of a situation comes among them, he can make himself rich in a short time." -Lucian critical of early Christians c.166 AD From his book, De Morte Peregrini
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 08/07/2007 :  06:25:30   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I had thought I'd put this up testerday, but it seems to have gotten lost. I'd read about the sacred butt-bounce several years ago, but it took me a while to remember where.

The oriential gentleman with no apparent means of support is one Chizuo Matsumoto, founder of the Japanese Aum cult. They are the brain-spavined imbeciles who put sarin gas into the Toyko subway system some years back, and he's been in the hoosegow ever since.

It is a pity that he has not yet achieved death. He'd fit into my signature so nicely....

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.39 seconds.