Save Password
Forgot your Password?
Home | Forums | Active Topics | Active Polls | Register | FAQ | Contact Us  
  Connect: Chat | SFN Messenger | Buddy List | Members
Personalize: Profile | My Page | Forum Bookmarks  
 All Forums
 Our Skeptic Forums
 General Skepticism
 Do Star Trek "Redshirts" really die more often?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 08/04/2007 :  20:46:37  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Here's an article that actually does a statistical analysis on this long-debated Star Trek (the original series) question.

He's dead, Jim.

I think this is an outstanding example of applying real critical thinking to an unreal issue.

A sample quote:
Besides not beaming down, another factor that showed to increase the survival rate of the red-shirts was the nature of the relationship between the alien life and captain Kirk. When Captain Kirk meets an alien woman and "makes contact" the survival rate of the red-shirted crewmen increases by 84%. In fact, out of Captain Kirks' 24 "relationships" there were only three instances of red-shirt vaporization.
There are also some neat PowerPoint graphs.

Biology is just physics that has begun to smell bad.” —HalfMooner
Here's a link to Moonscape News, and one to its Archive.

Edited by - HalfMooner on 08/04/2007 20:56:47

On fire for Christ
SFN Regular

Norway
1273 Posts

Posted - 08/04/2007 :  21:12:12   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send On fire for Christ a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Star Trek was truly groundbreaking in the equal rights movement. I remember an episode where Kirk is forced by an evil alien to choose who gets killed; a blonde, beautiful red-shirt woman, or a young, black red-shirt man. Kirk refuses to choose and the alien kills the blonde woman.

Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 08/04/2007 :  21:19:03   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by On fire for Christ

Star Trek was truly groundbreaking in the equal rights movement. I remember an episode where Kirk is forced by an evil alien to choose who gets killed; a blonde, beautiful red-shirt woman, or a young, black red-shirt man. Kirk refuses to choose and the alien kills the blonde woman.
Right. Captain Kirk knew that all Redshirts are equally expendable.

Go to Top of Page

Valiant Dancer
Forum Goalie

USA
4826 Posts

Posted - 08/05/2007 :  07:32:05   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Valiant Dancer's Homepage Send Valiant Dancer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The thing that makes this kinda tragic is that the Red shirts were security personnel.

When Roddenberry came out with the away team dress up kit, some hardcore Trekkors suggested it should consist of a red shirt and a body bag.

In the parody song "Star Trekkin" there are some rather funny lyrics.

"Oh, I'm a crew member you don't know
I was hired for just one show
And down to the planet's surface I must go
Where I'll be killed (yes, you'll be killed)
Or seriously hurt (No, you'll be killed)"

Cthulhu/Asmodeus when you're tired of voting for the lesser of two evils

Brother Cutlass of Reasoned Discussion
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 08/05/2007 :  13:58:48   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Maybe it would have helped a bit if the Redshirts had switched to camos?

Go to Top of Page

On fire for Christ
SFN Regular

Norway
1273 Posts

Posted - 08/05/2007 :  21:32:28   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send On fire for Christ a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The color red in of itself provokes thoughts of danger and violence. Also as HalfMooner is suggesting, causes the crewman to be highly visible in various planetary environments.

Perhaps this is why security had changed their uniforms to Gold by 'The next generation'

Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 08/06/2007 :  03:23:23   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I find myself reminded that some prisons in the South and maybe elsewhere, around the turn of the last century and later, used to make prisoners deemed potential troublemakers to wear red shirts. It made them easier targets for the guards on the walls.

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.31 seconds.