64-year-old Frenchman will parachute from 25 miles
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 08/13/2007 :  02:23:26  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
This one's exciting. I wish I could do it:
Skydiver plans head-first freefall from the edge of space in dizzying bid to break Mach 1
But he must wear a special suit to ensure his body fluids don't boil

By IAN SPARKS

August 2007

He will leap head-first from a weather balloon 25 miles above Earth and plummet at more than 1,000mph with only a parachute for company.

He will face external temperatures of minus 100c while inside his carbon-fibre suit it will be a stifling 65c - almost 150 fahrenheit.

And most amazing of all, Michel Fournier is actually looking forward to it.

The daredevil Frenchman, a greyhaired 63-year-old former paratrooper, aims to become the first person to break the sound barrier in free-fall.
. . .
The lack of friction due to the thinness of the air will mean he can attain a much higher terminal velocity, and his team of scientists estimate he will reach the top speed of 1,113mph before he is slowed down by greater air resistance.

Biology is just physics that has begun to smell bad.” —HalfMooner
Here's a link to Moonscape News, and one to its Archive.

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 08/13/2007 :  03:17:42   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
If his 'chute fails, how thin and wide might his splat!! imprint be at Mach 1?

Even the logical French can be irrational, sometimes.

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 08/13/2007 :  03:23:41   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by filthy

Well, to be fair, them flyboys and parachutists must sometimes wonder why sailors go out on the ocean, especially since some sailors can't swim real well. At least as a former paratroop, the guy's aware of the chute-opening "issue." Damn, I'd like to try that stunt!

Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 08/13/2007 :  03:29:52   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by HalfMooner

Well, to be fair, them flyboys and parachutists must sometimes wonder why sailors go out on the ocean, especially since some sailors can't swim real well. At least as a former paratroop, the guy's aware of the chute-opening "issue." Damn, I'd like to try that stunt!

You have my blessing, and if you should get to try it, I'll promise to be on hand with bucket & sponge, just in case.

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 08/13/2007 :  04:39:38   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
This, Fil, from a guy who would willingly go down into cold, opaque water, wearing "standard diving dress" like this?:

To feel around for discarded items like H-bombs. (Shudder.)

Edited by - HalfMooner on 08/13/2007 04:48:44
Go to Top of Page

pleco
SFN Addict

USA
2998 Posts

Posted - 08/13/2007 :  05:23:34   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit pleco's Homepage Send pleco a Private Message  Reply with Quote

His body will slow to reach terminal velocity of around 120 mph once he gets into the thick part of the atmosphere, so it won't be that much of a splat.

FWIW, I would love to do this!

by Filthy
The neo-con methane machine will soon be running at full fart.
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 08/13/2007 :  05:47:14   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by HalfMooner

This, Fil, from a guy who would willingly go down into cold, opaque water, wearing "standard diving dress" like this?:

To feel around for discarded items like H-bombs. (Shudder.)

You have a point....

Y'know, there is one hell of a lot that can go wrong, here. About the time he hits Mach 1, won't here be a pretty severe heat build-up, especally when he gets into thicker atmosphere? And how might that effect his chute release (I'm assuming that he'll be using a barometric device as well as a manual release)?

As the article implyed, he will already be over-heated from the get-go; what if he passes out?

I'm sure that his crew has already factored for all of that, but the "best laid plans...."

Anyhow, I too wish him luck.

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

Gorgo
SFN Die Hard

USA
5310 Posts

Posted - 08/13/2007 :  05:47:22   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Gorgo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Wow. Wonder how long it takes for a weather ballon to go up 25 miles. That would be quite a ride as well.

I know the rent is in arrears
The dog has not been fed in years
It's even worse than it appears
But it's alright-
Jerry Garcia
Robert Hunter

Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 08/13/2007 :  06:05:03   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The whole trip sounds fun, pleco, Gorgo.

Yeah, Fil, if this is done right, there will be automatic backups for chute deployment, backup chute, etc. Hell, if he's like me, he might have a senior moment and decide to take a nap part-way down.

Go to Top of Page

pleco
SFN Addict

USA
2998 Posts

Posted - 08/13/2007 :  06:58:05   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit pleco's Homepage Send pleco a Private Message  Reply with Quote
This has been done before, many moons ago...

by Filthy
The neo-con methane machine will soon be running at full fart.
Go to Top of Page

leoofno
Skeptic Friend

USA
346 Posts

Posted - 08/13/2007 :  07:18:56   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send leoofno a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Gorgo

Wow. Wonder how long it takes for a weather ballon to go up 25 miles. That would be quite a ride as well.

The drawing says 3 hours (see caption #1)

"If you're not terrified, you're not paying attention." Eric Alterman
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.12 seconds.