Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 08/13/2007 :  03:16:25  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
From CNN:
WASHINGTON (CNN) -- Karl Rove, U.S. President George W. Bush's senior political adviser, will voluntarily step down from his White House post at the end of the month, senior administration officials said Monday.
art.rove.gi.jpg

Karl Rove was politically extremely close to President George W. Bush

Rove, who has held a top position in the White House since Bush took office in January 2001, is to stand down on August 31.

"I just think it's time," Rove told the Wall Street Journal. "There's always something that can keep you here, and as much as I'd like to be here, I've got to do this for the sake of my family."

Karl Rove.

Biology is just physics that has begun to smell bad.” —HalfMooner
Here's a link to Moonscape News, and one to its Archive.

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 08/13/2007 :  03:24:00   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Good riddance!

But I'm sure that his replacement will be almost as vile.

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 08/13/2007 :  03:25:10   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by filthy

Good riddance!

But unlikely to be as smart, thank goodness.

Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 08/13/2007 :  04:09:22   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Rove Melting.

Go to Top of Page

pleco
SFN Addict

USA
2998 Posts

Posted - 08/13/2007 :  07:08:14   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit pleco's Homepage Send pleco a Private Message  Reply with Quote

by Filthy
The neo-con methane machine will soon be running at full fart.
Go to Top of Page

Kil
Evil Skeptic

USA
13476 Posts

Posted - 08/13/2007 :  07:55:34   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Kil's Homepage  Send Kil an AOL message  Send Kil a Yahoo! Message Send Kil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Now, if Cheney drops dead, who will be the president?

Uncertainty may make you uncomfortable. Certainty makes you ridiculous.

Why not question something for a change?

Genetic Literacy Project
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 08/13/2007 :  11:55:01   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by HalfMooner

Originally posted by filthy

Good riddance!

But unlikely to be as smart, thank goodness.

But really, is he the political mastermind he's made out to be, or just another political scumbag who got lucky a few times?
Rove exits stage right
Posted August 13th, 2007 at 12:43 pm
Share This | Spotlight | Permalink

Following up on this morning's item about Karl Rove's alleged genius, Bush and Rove made a brief public appearance this morning to note the departure.

“Karl Rove is moving on down the road,” Bush said, appearing grim-faced on the White House's South Lawn with Rove at his side.

“We've been friends for a long time and we're still going to be friends … I'll be on the road behind you here in a bit,” he said ruefully.

“I'm grateful to have been a witness to history. It has been the joy and the honor of a lifetime,” said Rove, his voice quivering at times. “But now is the time…. At month's end,” Rove said, “I will join those whom you meet in your travels, the ordinary Americans who tell you they are praying for you.”

White House Deputy Press Secretary Dana Perino said, “Obviously it's a big loss to us. He's a great colleague, a good friend, and a brilliant mind.”

I'm still hard-pressed to think of evidence of his alleged brilliance. Rove was convinced that Bush could privatize Social Security. He was placed in charge of overseeing the response to Hurricane Katrina. His response to every challenge was always exactly the same: jam it down their throats. (Who are “they”? It never mattered.)

With regards to national electoral politics, Rove's strategic mind has to put to the test four times:

In 2000, Rove kept his candidate in California in the campaign's waning days. Bush came in second.

In 2002, Rove exploited 9/11 for all it was worth. Dems avoided national security as a policy and paid a high price.

In 2004, Rove ran the campaign of a war-time president running with a relatively strong economy — and came within Ohio of losing.

In 2006, Rove's worldview came crashing down as Dems won back the House and Senate.

By any reasonable measure, this is the record of a mediocre political strategist who, as I noted this morning, is bolstered by the myth of brilliance.

And an earlier article from the same source:
There will be plenty to say in the coming days about Rove's work in the White House and role as the president's “architect,” but I'd argue that most of the intrigue surrounding Rove is a myth. The man has developed a reputation as something of a gifted political savant, whose keen insights are unparalleled in the modern political era.

I think that's nonsense.

Rove's genius has always been exaggerated to the point of comedy. In 2000, he pulled out all the stops to help Bush win the New Hampshire GOP primary, where McCain won by double digits. On Election Day 2000, it was Rove's idea to keep his candidat

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

BigPapaSmurf
SFN Die Hard

3192 Posts

Posted - 08/13/2007 :  12:13:58   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send BigPapaSmurf a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well you forgot the direct fixing of the Texas govenors race for Bush, by putting a fake bug in his own office and blaming it on the Dems, at a critical point prior to the election. Had this not happened then Bush would have never had been president.

"...things I have neither seen nor experienced nor heard tell of from anybody else; things, what is more, that do not in fact exist and could not ever exist at all. So my readers must not believe a word I say." -Lucian on his book True History

"...They accept such things on faith alone, without any evidence. So if a fraudulent and cunning person who knows how to take advantage of a situation comes among them, he can make himself rich in a short time." -Lucian critical of early Christians c.166 AD From his book, De Morte Peregrini
Go to Top of Page

Dude
SFN Die Hard

USA
6891 Posts

Posted - 08/13/2007 :  12:17:38   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Dude a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Rove is an election engineer. He is brilliant at getting people elected by smearing the other guy so bad that he looks even dumber than the guy Rove is working for.

Aside from that... he isn't so bright.

Ignorance is preferable to error; and he is less remote from the truth who believes nothing, than he who believes what is wrong.
-- Thomas Jefferson

"god :: the last refuge of a man with no answers and no argument." - G. Carlin

Hope, n.
The handmaiden of desperation; the opiate of despair; the illegible signpost on the road to perdition. ~~ da filth
Go to Top of Page

Orwellingly Yurz
SFN Regular

USA
529 Posts

Posted - 08/13/2007 :  16:18:51   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Orwellingly Yurz a Private Message  Reply with Quote
YO: Do we want to lay down any bets as to how soon Karl Rove, just like George Tenet, gets the Medal of Freedom from The Decider?

OY-ink

"The modern conservative...is engaged in one of man's oldest exercises in moral philosophy. That is the search for a superior moral justification for selfishness."
--John Kenneth Galbraith

If dogs run free
Then what must be,
Must be...
And that is all
--Bob Dylan

The neo-cons have gotten welfare for themselves down to a fine art.
--me

"The meek shall inherit the earth, but not the mineral rights."
--J. Paul Getty

"The great thing about Art isn't what it give us, but what we become through it."
--Oscar Wilde

"We have Art in order not to die of life."
--Albert Camus

"I cling like a miser to the freedom I lose when surrounded by an abundance of things."
--Albert Camus

"Experience is the name so many people give to their mistakes."
--Oscar Wilde
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 08/13/2007 :  18:50:18   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Orwellingly Yurz

YO: Do we want to lay down any bets as to how soon Karl Rove, just like George Tenet, gets the Medal of Freedom from The Decider?

OY-ink
You ask this, on a skeptic site? Do we all look like we just fell off a pumpkin truck?

Go to Top of Page

Orwellingly Yurz
SFN Regular

USA
529 Posts

Posted - 08/13/2007 :  20:43:04   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Orwellingly Yurz a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Orwellingly Yurz

OY-ink

Halfmooner responded.
You ask this, on a skeptic site? Do we all look like we just fell off a pumpkin truck?

OY comes back with....

Actually, Moonman, it's a rhetorical question. I sent out another version of this query as follows:

Any bets on how long it takes G. W. to award Karl the Medal of Freedom? Of course, The Decider may want to give Mr. Rove another
honor; a new one. Let's call it the George Tenet Integrity Award.

The way I always heard that line, Halfmooner, was "We just came in on the last load of punkins."

OY-ingly Y'alls.

"The modern conservative...is engaged in one of man's oldest exercises in moral philosophy. That is the search for a superior moral justification for selfishness."
--John Kenneth Galbraith

If dogs run free
Then what must be,
Must be...
And that is all
--Bob Dylan

The neo-cons have gotten welfare for themselves down to a fine art.
--me

"The meek shall inherit the earth, but not the mineral rights."
--J. Paul Getty

"The great thing about Art isn't what it give us, but what we become through it."
--Oscar Wilde

"We have Art in order not to die of life."
--Albert Camus

"I cling like a miser to the freedom I lose when surrounded by an abundance of things."
--Albert Camus

"Experience is the name so many people give to their mistakes."
--Oscar Wilde
Go to Top of Page

pleco
SFN Addict

USA
2998 Posts

Posted - 08/14/2007 :  13:48:19   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit pleco's Homepage Send pleco a Private Message  Reply with Quote
What do You Think?

by Filthy
The neo-con methane machine will soon be running at full fart.
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 08/16/2007 :  03:51:12   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
As in most matters, Garrison Kiellor has some thoughts on this one.
Getting out of Dodge

The Head Counselor finally takes a hike. Good riddance

Garrison Keillor
August 15, 2007

What truly cheers me up through these dog days of summer is the thought that two old friends of mine are up north on a canoe trip in the Boundary Waters Canoe Area and that I am not there with them.

I am here, reading the paper, and if I wanted to go to a movie, I could go, and if I wished to use a flush toilet, I could do that, too. But for the grace of God, I could be sitting on the ground, filthy, embittered, homeless, eating freeze-dried food and listening to the Master Woodsman tell me what a great experience I'm having and meanwhile a cloud of mosquitoes has come out to avenge the white man's colonizing of North America. I have been on canoe trips, I know what goes on.

Every canoe trip has a self-appointed Master Woodsman. In civilian life he may be a mild-mannered clerk in a cubicle but out on the trail he is transformed into the song leader, pathfinder, the great helmsman, the tier of correct knots and the authority on bears. He shows you how to do everything except the things you really need to do, such as (1) relieve yourself in some dignified manner and (2) get out of here and find a hotel. Your body aches from sleeping on the ground and you are thinking about "Lord of the Flies" and what it says about the fragility of civilization, but he is relentlessly upbeat. And then it dawns on you: Your suffering is what turns him on. The man is a sadist.

At this point, the current administration is like a very, very bad canoe trip with a week left to go, and Karl Rove is the Head Counselor who has found a path to the highway.

I absolutly love the metaphor as I too, have been on such a trip, albeit not with a canoe, and in this case, the "Master Woodsman" was the "Expert Herpetologist." I remember spending a fair amount of time surreptitiously looking for a nice Copperhead or Pygmy Rattlesnake, or even a Coral to hand him (didn't want to kill him, just shut him up. I'd have settled for a small-to-medium Cottonmouth).

But Rove is gone, Rove is gone. At last report, he is going dove hunting as soon as the season opens. One hopes that he'll be going with Cheney.

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 08/18/2007 :  02:48:39   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Lest we forget, here's a piece Bill Moyers did on everybody's favorite scumbag.

Bill Moyers: 'Greed and God won four elections in a row' for Rove David Edwards and Muriel Kane
Published: Thursday August 16, 2007

Bill Moyers will consider the departure of Karl Rove in a video essay released early by PBS to RAW STORY. Moyers, a Texan like Rove and Bush, is not easily swayed by the commentators and administration figures who have been quick to describe Rove as "brilliant ... mastermind ... boy genius."

"Karl Rove figured out a long time ago," says Moyers, "that the way to take an intellectually incurious, draft-averse naughty playboy in a flight jacket with chewing tobacco in his back pocket and make him governor of Texas was to sell him as God's anointed."

"Rove turned religion into a weapon of political combat," explains Moyers. "Never mind that in stroking the base's bigotry of true believers you coarsen both politics and religion."

And on a mostly unrelated and irrevelent matter, Jenna Bush is getting married, to a Rove accomplice no less, and Wonkette seems to be convinced that she is, as they say, "with a bun in the oven."

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

GeeMack
SFN Regular

USA
1093 Posts

Posted - 08/18/2007 :  06:27:10   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send GeeMack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Now ladies and gentlemen, the next rat to announce he's abandoning the sinking ship, White House Press Secretary Tony Snow.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.25 seconds.