Dembski's Bible mill offers Home Ec., for ladies
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 08/13/2007 :  08:13:43  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
To help churn out good little helpmeets, the Southwestern Baptist Theological Seminary is offering special courses just for the ladies, designed to help them better please their future lords and masters. (This is the same hick fundy Ft. Worth Bible school that gives Intelligent Designer Bill Dembski an income as a "research professor" of mathematics while not requiring him to teach.)
NASHVILLE, Tenn. -

The Southwestern Baptist Theological Seminary offers coursework in Greek and Hebrew, in archaeology, in the philosophy of religion and - starting this fall - in how to cook and sew.

Southwestern Baptist, one of the nation's largest Southern Baptist seminaries, is introducing a new academic program in homemaking as part of an effort to establish what its president calls biblical family and gender roles.

It will offer a bachelor of arts in humanities degree with a 23-hour concentration in homemaking. The program is only open to women.

Coursework will include seven hours of nutrition and meal preparation, seven hours of textile design and "clothing construction," three hours of general homemaking, three hours on "the value of a child," and three hours on the "biblical model for the home and family."

Biology is just physics that has begun to smell bad.” —HalfMooner
Here's a link to Moonscape News, and one to its Archive.

Siberia
SFN Addict

Brazil
2322 Posts

Posted - 08/13/2007 :  09:53:53   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Siberia's Homepage  Send Siberia an AOL message  Send Siberia a Yahoo! Message Send Siberia a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The value of a child? I don't know, I haven't been following the black market of child trafficking these days... I guess it depends on the origins, genetic makeup and such...

But seriously, I'm not sure if that amuses or depresses me.

"Why are you afraid of something you're not even sure exists?"
- The Kovenant, Via Negativa

"People who don't like their beliefs being laughed at shouldn't have such funny beliefs."
-- unknown
Go to Top of Page

Dr. Mabuse
Septic Fiend

Sweden
9687 Posts

Posted - 08/13/2007 :  13:45:02   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Dr. Mabuse an ICQ Message Send Dr. Mabuse a Private Message  Reply with Quote
only 23 hours for a Batchelor of Art???

Dr. Mabuse - "When the going gets tough, the tough get Duct-tape..."
Dr. Mabuse whisper.mp3

"Equivocation is not just a job, for a creationist it's a way of life..." Dr. Mabuse

Support American Troops in Iraq:
Send them unarmed civilians for target practice..
Collateralmurder.
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 08/13/2007 :  14:40:08   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Dr. Mabuse

only 23 hours for a Batchelor of Art???
Well, they wouldn't want the ladies to be literate or anything. They might get uppity and begin asking questions. Their husbands can always read the Bible to them.

Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 08/13/2007 :  14:41:15   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Siberia

The value of a child? I don't know, I haven't been following the black market of child trafficking these days... I guess it depends on the origins, genetic makeup and such...

But seriously, I'm not sure if that amuses or depresses me.

Go to Top of Page

marfknox
SFN Die Hard

USA
3739 Posts

Posted - 08/13/2007 :  15:01:27   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit marfknox's Homepage  Send marfknox an AOL message Send marfknox a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Given what a crappy job so many people do with regards to child rearing and maintaining a healthy home life, I could see creating such a program, but this immediately irks me:
The program is only open to women.
And this, too:
"Whether a woman works outside or strictly in the home, her first priority is her family and home," she said. "We just really want to step up and provide some of these skills."
So a man's first priority isn't his family and home (assuming said man is married and/or raising children)? What's a guy supposed to do if his wife dies, becomes infirmed, or leaves him? The welfare of children is equally the responsibility of all guardians. If parents make arrangements to have one of them be the primary caretaker and the other the primary breadwinner, fine, but there is no supported biological reason why any individual woman would be more nurturing than any individual man (and no reason why any individual man would be able to earn more money than any individual woman.)

"Too much certainty and clarity could lead to cruel intolerance" -Karen Armstrong

Check out my art store: http://www.marfknox.etsy.com

Go to Top of Page

marfknox
SFN Die Hard

USA
3739 Posts

Posted - 08/13/2007 :  15:02:50   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit marfknox's Homepage  Send marfknox an AOL message Send marfknox a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I also think these classes should be electives, not a friggin' academic degree!

"Too much certainty and clarity could lead to cruel intolerance" -Karen Armstrong

Check out my art store: http://www.marfknox.etsy.com

Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 08/13/2007 :  15:11:55   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I blame this kind of gender role stereotyping as being the primary cause of the lousy cooking and housekeeping in my home.

Go to Top of Page

Hawks
SFN Regular

Canada
1383 Posts

Posted - 08/13/2007 :  15:59:17   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Hawks's Homepage Send Hawks a Private Message  Reply with Quote
No surprise there. It is also baptists who think that ‘a wife is to submit herself graciously to the servant leadership of her husband.'

METHINKS IT IS LIKE A WEASEL
It's a small, off-duty czechoslovakian traffic warden!
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.34 seconds.