Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

Dude
SFN Die Hard

USA
6891 Posts

Posted - 08/20/2007 :  11:09:44   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Dude a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Rubicon said:
Don't you find it slightly unnerving that we can create a new life-form?

This is the reaction to most new technology.

When the artificial heart and heart transplants were first done people called it "ghoulish tinkering". There were many idiotic statements made by people who were scared by the idea.

When artificial insemination was being developed I'm sure you recall the hype/scare over "test-tube babies". Now its common practice.

Personally I find it amazing that we will probably create new life forms soon.

Ignorance is preferable to error; and he is less remote from the truth who believes nothing, than he who believes what is wrong.
-- Thomas Jefferson

"god :: the last refuge of a man with no answers and no argument." - G. Carlin

Hope, n.
The handmaiden of desperation; the opiate of despair; the illegible signpost on the road to perdition. ~~ da filth
Go to Top of Page

Rubicon95
Skeptic Friend

USA
220 Posts

Posted - 08/20/2007 :  11:57:59   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Rubicon95 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yeah, but that damn thing is just going to set Earth's atmosphere on fire.

Thanks alot...Now I am never going to get any sleep!!!

Go to Top of Page

Siberia
SFN Addict

Brazil
2322 Posts

Posted - 08/20/2007 :  12:50:16   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Siberia's Homepage  Send Siberia an AOL message  Send Siberia a Yahoo! Message Send Siberia a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Rubicon95

Yeah, but that damn thing is just going to set Earth's atmosphere on fire.

Thanks alot...Now I am never going to get any sleep!!!

Well, at least it's dying in style

"Why are you afraid of something you're not even sure exists?"
- The Kovenant, Via Negativa

"People who don't like their beliefs being laughed at shouldn't have such funny beliefs."
-- unknown
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 08/20/2007 :  14:05:19   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
And so it begins.

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Why not question something for a change?
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 08/20/2007 :  15:17:16   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Dave W.

And so it begins.
Our friend Dave Scott, I see. He's one of the most usual of the usual suspects and......
Intelligent Design Research: Proof of concept in 3-10 years say scientists

DaveScot

While they don't call it intelligent design research… that's in fact what it is. In the article a scientist is quoted saying once a container (cell wall) is synthesized and nucleotides are added in the right proportions then Darwinian evolution will take care of the rest. Yeah, right. Darwinian processes won't do jack diddly squat. It'll require intelligent design every step of the way. Mark my words. ID will be proven in concept and Darwinian evolution will (again) be disproven in concept.
..... one of the most laughable.

Hey Dave (Scott that is, not W.), which genius' from the Discovery Institute are on the research team? And are any of them named some variation of Steve?

Idjit!

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 08/20/2007 :  15:48:01   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Just did a drive-by at AiG and found that Mark Looey has a gibber on the subject.

Are we soon to detect the sweet smell of fear, I wonder? They seem to be going into denial quicker than usual.

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 08/20/2007 :  16:04:11   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
A couple of fine gibbers, there. The gibbers are getting gibbrier and gibbrier as the gibberers themselves get more desperate.

I especially like Scott's approach, claiming the synthetic life projects are "Intelligent Design" work. Since the ID lot hasn't come up with a spec of science of their own since... ever, now they want to misstate someone else's results, before it's even accomplished?

That's not science, it's preemptive spin-control propaganda. And bullshit even for that category.

The AiG foks, as usual, don't even pretend to be scientific.

Biology is just physics that has begun to smell bad.” —HalfMooner
Here's a link to Moonscape News, and one to its Archive.
Edited by - HalfMooner on 08/20/2007 16:07:54
Go to Top of Page

H. Humbert
SFN Die Hard

USA
4574 Posts

Posted - 08/20/2007 :  17:08:51   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send H. Humbert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I love how the IDiots' entire argument rests on the premise that the scientists doing this groundbreaking research are actually utilizing ID, but that they are just too stupid to realize it.

No seriously. Here are some choice quotes from Dave's link:
Really, how can smart people be so stupid? Essentially, what he's saying is that human intelligence isn't as innovative as a mindless, purposeless, unproven, natural process. And what does he expect to happen? Darwin will fly in and wave a magic wand and out pops complexity and increased information?? That's just plain dumb - dumb, dumb, dumb. Our Universities have failed us.
--shaner74
Got that? It's the scientists who are dumb.

[In response to the quote I mentioned: "We aren't smart enough to design things, we just let evolution do the hard work and then we figure out what happened," Szostak said.]

What a slap in the face to all the researchers who probably worked long and hard on this.
--JJS P.Eng.
But that was a direct quote from one of the scientists who has worked long and hard on this. I guess accusing scientists of not properly understanding their own research is the proper way to compliment them.

These guys are truly living in fantasyland. They might as well have aspirations to create the first perpetual-motion machine. The sad thing is that many intelligent, highly educated people have been conned into accepting the biggest get-something-for-nothing scam in the history of science: Darwinism.
--GilDodgen

He then goes on to cite Behe's totally discredited book "The Edge of Evolution" as support.

What are they thinking, “Well if we add more junk to our junk pile its sure to turn into a 747.”
--bornagain77

ID isn't creationism, but IDiots sure do love to use those dishonest creationist analogies.

Honestly, I could quote the entire thread. A more concentrated pool of scientific illiterates and religiously blinded ideologues would be nigh impossible to find.

"A man is his own easiest dupe, for what he wishes to be true he generally believes to be true." --Demosthenes

"The first principle is that you must not fool yourself - and you are the easiest person to fool." --Richard P. Feynman

"Face facts with dignity." --found inside a fortune cookie
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 08/20/2007 :  20:18:17   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Great list, H.H.

I do disagree with your one statement:
ID isn't creationism, but IDiots sure do love to use those dishonest creationist analogies.
They are Creationists, in my opinion. "Creationism in a cheap tuxedo," as ID has been characterized. They pose as scientists and science buffs, but the Wedge Strategy was written by an attorney, and displays their real purpose. They are anti-science Creationists who dishonestly deny that they are Creationists in public, but insist they are when in fundy churches.

What you may have meant, is they aren't YEC's. I think they are a mix of some Young Earth, and more Old World Creationists, but they are usually difficult to pin down on that.

Edited by - HalfMooner on 08/20/2007 20:19:01
Go to Top of Page

H. Humbert
SFN Die Hard

USA
4574 Posts

Posted - 08/20/2007 :  20:54:20   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send H. Humbert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by HalfMooner
They are Creationists, in my opinion. "Creationism in a cheap tuxedo," as ID has been characterized.
Actually, that was intended as sarcasm, Half, but I can see how that might not have gotten across. I meant it more like "They sure love to waddle, swim, and quack like ducks, but remember, they aren't ducks." [wink wink, nudge nudge]

So yeah, I completely agree with you.

"A man is his own easiest dupe, for what he wishes to be true he generally believes to be true." --Demosthenes

"The first principle is that you must not fool yourself - and you are the easiest person to fool." --Richard P. Feynman

"Face facts with dignity." --found inside a fortune cookie
Edited by - H. Humbert on 08/20/2007 20:57:11
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 08/20/2007 :  20:58:51   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by H. Humbert

Originally posted by HalfMooner
They are Creationists, in my opinion. "Creationism in a cheap tuxedo," as ID has been characterized.
Actually, that was intended as sarcasm, Half, but I can see how that might not have gotten across. I meant it more like "They sure love to waddle, swim, and quack like ducks, but remember, they aren't ducks." [wink wink, nudge nudge]

So yeah, I completely agree with you.

Sorry. I'm really the shits at understanding a parody.

Go to Top of Page

Ricky
SFN Die Hard

USA
4907 Posts

Posted - 08/21/2007 :  06:16:57   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Ricky an AOL message Send Ricky a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Darwinian processes won't do jack diddly squat. It'll require intelligent design every step of the way.

Could this statement lead to the falsification of ID? Or is the author merely saying that the designer will in fact step in?

Why continue? Because we must. Because we have the call. Because it is nobler to fight for rationality without winning than to give up in the face of continued defeats. Because whatever true progress humanity makes is through the rationality of the occasional individual and because any one individual we may win for the cause may do more for humanity than a hundred thousand who hug their superstitions to their breast.
- Isaac Asimov
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 08/21/2007 :  07:13:59   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Ricky

Darwinian processes won't do jack diddly squat. It'll require intelligent design every step of the way.

Could this statement lead to the falsification of ID? Or is the author merely saying that the designer will in fact step in?
Well, don't you think they'd have to first scientifically define "jack," "diddly," and 'squat"? I okely-dokely-schmokely do!

Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 08/21/2007 :  09:54:02   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Ricky

The "designer," in that case, is the experimenters themselves. As noted on the antievolution.org forums, this is a sort of restatement of the idea that all experiments in biology, because they've been designed intelligently, can't possibly test unintelligent evolution. Which, of course, would mean that ID cannot be tested, since there could be no result in which design doesn't play a role.

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Why not question something for a change?
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.
Go to Top of Page

Ricky
SFN Die Hard

USA
4907 Posts

Posted - 08/21/2007 :  13:19:12   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Ricky an AOL message Send Ricky a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I don't see how a scientist leaving a life form in a petri dish and observing if mutations take place counts as a designer. Then again, that makes just about as much sense as the other things IDers says.

Why continue? Because we must. Because we have the call. Because it is nobler to fight for rationality without winning than to give up in the face of continued defeats. Because whatever true progress humanity makes is through the rationality of the occasional individual and because any one individual we may win for the cause may do more for humanity than a hundred thousand who hug their superstitions to their breast.
- Isaac Asimov
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.11 seconds.