"Bush to invoke Vietnam"
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 08/21/2007 :  22:42:31  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
According to an article at CNN, President George W. Bush will point to America's 1975 withdrawal from Vietnam, after 15 years of fighting and 1.5 million lives lost, as a bad example, that must not be followed in Iraq.
"Three decades later, there is a legitimate debate about how we got into the Vietnam War and how we left," Bush will say.

"Whatever your position in that debate, one unmistakable legacy of Vietnam is that the price of America's withdrawal was paid by millions of innocent citizens, whose agonies would add to our vocabulary new terms like 'boat people,' 're-education camps' and 'killing fields,' " the president will say.
I'm serious, they claim he's going to actually say that. For years, the Bushies have screamed bloody murder anytime someone compared their Iraq disaster to the Vietnam clusterfuck. Now, things are so bad in Iraq, the President will take a stand that would make Richard M. Nixon cringe and blush.

Biology is just physics that has begun to smell bad.” —HalfMooner
Here's a link to Moonscape News, and one to its Archive.

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 08/22/2007 :  04:35:06   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
That draft-dodging, Guard-deserting, sorry sack of shit is going to hand a deadly insult to every veteran of that era as well as the 50,000+ names on the Wall, and I hope his words come back to haunt him. If I thought I could pray the rat-bastard into perdition, I'd be on my knees prayin' to beat thunder!

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 08/22/2007 :  05:13:57   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Do we have to go through this same, insane crap every generation? Looks like Bush wants to settle down for a Forever War in the Mid East. If the draft was still in force, the demonstrations against this war would be huge, like those during the Vietnam War. And if this idiot gets his wish for the war's continuance, there will be a draft again. Cowardly bastard. Hanging's too good for him.

Go to Top of Page

perrodetokio
Skeptic Friend

275 Posts

Posted - 08/22/2007 :  06:53:02   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send perrodetokio a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Where did I hear "War is Peace" or was it "Peace is war"?

"Yes I have a belief in a creator/God but do not know that he exists." Bill Scott

"They are still mosquitoes! They did not turn into whales or lizards or anything else. They are still mosquitoes!..." Bill Scott

"We should have millions of missing links or transition fossils showing a fish turning into a philosopher..." Bill Scott
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 08/22/2007 :  07:12:49   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Just came across this:
Bush to connect Iraq, Vietnam
Posted August 22nd, 2007 at 9:00 am
Share This | Spotlight | Permalink

With the president's upcoming report to Congress on “progress” in Iraq just a few weeks away, the White House is, once again, preparing a new public-relations offensive to bolster support for Bush's war policy. It starts today with a speech to the Veterans of Foreign Wars' annual convention, followed by another address next week to the American Legion, which will reportedly offer a “broader context” to discouraging news out of Iraq.

Apparently, this context includes an odd comparison between the wars in Iraq and Vietnam.

As he awaits a crucial progress report on Iraq, President Bush will try to put a twist on comparisons of the war to Vietnam by invoking the historical lessons of that conflict to argue against pulling out.

On Wednesday in Kansas City, Missouri, Bush will tell members of the Veterans of Foreign Wars that “then, as now, people argued that the real problem was America's presence and that if we would just withdraw, the killing would end,” according to speech excerpts released Tuesday by the White House.

But this is an obvious misread of history. Supporters of the war in Vietnam said a withdrawal would lead to Communists dominating Southeast Asia., just as supporters of the war in Iraq argue that a withdrawal now would lead to some kind of al Qaeda caliphate.

That, of course, is probably one of the least persuasive arguments the White House could offer. Predictions predicated on an Asian “domino theory” turned out to be wrong. As Josh Marshall explained, “Going 40 years on, it is not too much to say that virtually none of the predicted negative repercussions of our departure from Vietnam ever came to pass. Asia didn't go Communist. Our Asian allies didn't abandon us. Rather, the Vietnamese began to fall out with her Communist allies…. If anything, the clearest lesson of Vietnam would seem to be that there can be a vast hue and cry about the catastrophic effects of disengagement from a failed policy and it can turn out that none of them are true.”

But as it turns out, that's not even the dumbest part of the president's new argument.

This is.

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

@tomic
Administrator

USA
4607 Posts

Posted - 08/22/2007 :  11:37:14   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit @tomic's Homepage Send @tomic a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I heard this speech and couldn't believe the connections he was trying to make.

Bush mentioned "killing fields", "boat people" and "re-education camps" in this speech. Nevermind that the killing fields were in Cambodia and were a result of the Kmher Rouge running rampant there. He mentioned boat people as if to imply that leaving Iraq would lead to a refugee problem. He must not know what's going on or how many Iraqi's have already fled to neighboring countries such as Jordan, Iran and Syria to name a few. Anyone who could, left. It might get worse but the status quo has already led to a huge refugee problem.

I think Bush has taken a terrible risk by trying to connect Iraq and Vietnam, but I'm glad he's finally seen the light. But the speech did bring one last question to mind: Was he saying we should never leave Iraq or else all these bad things would happen so we should never, ever leave?

@

Gravity, not just a good idea...it's the law!

Sportsbettingacumen.com: The science of sports betting
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 08/22/2007 :  11:47:59   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by @tomic

...so we should never, ever leave?
Let's see if Iraq is granted statehood ahead of D.C. and Puerto Rico.

Wouldn't that solve a lot of our imported oil problems? How do we put 51 stars on the flag, anyway?

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Why not question something for a change?
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 08/22/2007 :  15:42:23   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Dave W.

Wouldn't that solve a lot of our imported oil problems? How do we put 51 stars on the flag, anyway?
Wiki knows:
Future of the flag
Proposed design for a 51-star flag in the event of an additional state

The United States Army Institute of Heraldry has plans for flags with up to 56 stars, using a similar staggered star arrangement should additional states accede. Moreover, there are continuing political movements supporting statehood in Puerto Rico and the District of Columbia.

Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 08/22/2007 :  17:56:44   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Perhaps unsurprisingly, that arrangement is the solution I came up with in my head while driving home tonight.

[/hijack]

Evidently, I rock!
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 08/22/2007 :  17:59:41   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Perhaps unsurprisingly, that arrangement is the solution I came up with in my head while driving home tonight.

[/hijack]
Thinking about something that complex while driving should be as illegal as driving while on a cell phone.

Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 08/22/2007 :  18:21:36   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by HalfMooner

Thinking about something that complex while driving should be as illegal as driving while on a cell phone.
Most of the thought processes occured while waiting for a light.

The biggest rectangle with integer sides, a flag-like aspect ratio and and area less than or equal to 51 is 8-by-6 (7-by-7 is too square, and 5-by-10 too oblong, for examples). 8 times 6 is 48, leaving three stars over, so one each can go on every other row. Then, for aesthetic reasons, I figured it'd probably be the 9-8-9-8-9-8 (from top to bottom) arrangement and not the 8-9-8-9-8-9.

Ah, the light's turned green, I can go back to concentrating on how to get around the slow $@&*! truck.

Evidently, I rock!
Go to Top of Page

@tomic
Administrator

USA
4607 Posts

Posted - 08/22/2007 :  19:14:34   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit @tomic's Homepage Send @tomic a Private Message  Reply with Quote
While driving I realized that my favorite word is tenacious because it has one of every vowel.

@

Gravity, not just a good idea...it's the law!

Sportsbettingacumen.com: The science of sports betting
Go to Top of Page

Original_Intent
SFN Regular

USA
609 Posts

Posted - 08/22/2007 :  19:43:59   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Original_Intent a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by HalfMooner

Wiki knows:
Future of the flag
Proposed design for a 51-star flag in the event of an additional state

The United States Army Institute of Heraldry has plans for flags with up to 56 stars, using a similar staggered star arrangement should additional states accede. Moreover, there are continuing political movements supporting statehood in Puerto Rico and the District of Columbia.

Boring. We need an old medivel herald.....
Go to Top of Page

pleco
SFN Addict

USA
2998 Posts

Posted - 08/23/2007 :  05:34:23   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit pleco's Homepage Send pleco a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Original_Intent
Boring. We need an old medivel herald.....

Yeah something like this:

The Ensign of the Order consists of the Gonfalon of white silk with a red staff surmounted by Military Trophy. The cloth (1.80x2.10 cm.) is knotted to the staff set spirally. A fringe border of .40 meters hangs from the horizontal lower pole, its colors and fringes symbolizing the Lieutenancies of the Order. On the face of the Gonfalon stands the Crusader Flag. On the top of the empty Sepulchre the ornamental scroll with festoon and the motto in Gothic characters, "Deus lo vult' is extended.

The figure of the resurrected Christ is enclosed at the side by an ornamental motif alternated with Crosses of Godfrey of Bouillon and Crowns of Thorns. From the knobs of the upper transverse pole hang the ribbons of the Order in watered black silk.

This flag would work well with our future Crusade against Iran, and symbolizes the New Theocracy. Dues lo vult! (God wills it)

by Filthy
The neo-con methane machine will soon be running at full fart.
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 08/23/2007 :  06:12:39   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
If we're going to do heraldry, perhaps something along the lines of this might be appropriate for the administration:

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.09 seconds.