Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 08/21/2007 :  23:16:48  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
When faced with the possible threat that the Iraqis might be amassing terrible weapons that could be used to slay millions of citizens of Western Civilization, President Bush took the only action prudence demanded and the electorate allowed: he conquered Iraq with an army.

This dangerous and expensive act did destroy the Iraqi regime, but left an American army without any clear purpose in a hostile country and subject to attack. If the Army merely returns to its home, then the threat it ended would simply return.

The wisest course would have been for President Bush to use his nuclear weapons to slaughter Iraqis until they complied with his demands, or until they were all dead. Then there would be little risk or expense and no American army would be left exposed. But if he did this, his cowardly electorate would have instantly ended his term of office, if not his freedom or his life.
[My emphasis.]

The above quotes are taken from an article at the Family Security Matters site. The Family Security Foundation, Inc, which runs the site, is a DC "think tank," headed by former CIA Director, James Woolsey, with Dick Cheney a former Board of Directors member. The article, by Philip Atkinson, has since mysteriously disappeared from the wingnut site. But there are archives of it.

Wonkette has the tale.

Biology is just physics that has begun to smell bad.” —HalfMooner
Here's a link to Moonscape News, and one to its Archive.

Edited by - HalfMooner on 08/21/2007 23:27:45

Cuneiformist
The Imperfectionist

USA
4955 Posts

Posted - 08/22/2007 :  05:37:26   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Cuneiformist a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Actually, Mooner, it's worse. I heard about this on Stephanie Miller yesterday. That same article calls for Bush to make himself President for Life. Parody? Or are some people that delusional that they really want 20 or more years of that nitwit running the country?
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 08/22/2007 :  05:51:02   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Cuneiformist

Actually, Mooner, it's worse. I heard about this on Stephanie Miller yesterday. That same article calls for Bush to make himself President for Life. Parody? Or are some people that delusional that they really want 20 or more years of that nitwit running the country?
Yeah, I read that, too, but I didn't want to overdose people on too much Fascist NeoConism all at once. Now, with Bush apparently calling for a longer war than Vietnam, I worry that he may have already come close to following that advice, and may even yet do so.

Go to Top of Page

perrodetokio
Skeptic Friend

275 Posts

Posted - 08/22/2007 :  06:38:04   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send perrodetokio a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I know I say this a lot... but NOW I am really scared!

Doing what´s popular instead of what´s right?

ONLY I KNOW WHAT´S RIGHT! THE REST OF THE WORLD ONLY DOES WHAT´S POPULAR!

Give me a fucking break!

Cheers.

nico el perro de tokio

"Yes I have a belief in a creator/God but do not know that he exists." Bill Scott

"They are still mosquitoes! They did not turn into whales or lizards or anything else. They are still mosquitoes!..." Bill Scott

"We should have millions of missing links or transition fossils showing a fish turning into a philosopher..." Bill Scott
Go to Top of Page

The Rat
SFN Regular

Canada
1370 Posts

Posted - 08/24/2007 :  21:00:13   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit The Rat's Homepage Send The Rat a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The web site has pulled this article. I guess some people are just tooooooo far right.

Bailey's second law; There is no relationship between the three virtues of intelligence, education, and wisdom.

You fiend! Never have I encountered such corrupt and foul-minded perversity! Have you ever considered a career in the Church? - The Bishop of Bath and Wells, Blackadder II

Baculum's page: http://www.bebo.com/Profile.jsp?MemberId=3947338590
Go to Top of Page

Ghost_Skeptic
SFN Regular

Canada
510 Posts

Posted - 08/25/2007 :  00:10:17   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Ghost_Skeptic a Private Message  Reply with Quote
possible threat that the Iraqis might be amassing terrible weapons

Think about that one - a possible might be threat justifies a nuclear genocide - perhaps this was a parody - someone seeing how loony an idea could published on that website.

cowardly electorate

I always knew you Americans were cowards - No wonder we kicked your ass in the War of 1812

Apparently rising up and overthrowing a dangerous insane despot is an act of cowardice.

"You can lead a horse to water but you can't make him drink. / You can send a kid to college but you can't make him think." - B.B. King

History is made by stupid people - The Arrogant Worms

"The greater the ignorance the greater the dogmatism." - William Osler

"Religion is the natural home of the psychopath" - Pat Condell

"The day will come when the mystical generation of Jesus, by the supreme being as his father in the womb of a virgin, will be classed with the fable of the generation of Minerva in the brain of Jupiter" - Thomas Jefferson
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 08/25/2007 :  00:33:40   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
G_S said:
I always knew you Americans were cowards - No wonder we kicked your ass in the War of 1812
Now, that's not nice. For many good reasons, we are not normally taught in public school about our five failed invasions of Canada, nor how the Brits burned down Washington and even the White House during that war.

We instead like to concentrate upon a naval battle on Lake Champlain, where we stopped your final invasion. And of course, we really kicked your asses with the Treaty of Ghent, which essentially generously rewarded us for having survived at all.

Hah-ha!

Edited by - HalfMooner on 08/25/2007 00:35:37
Go to Top of Page

marfknox
SFN Die Hard

USA
3739 Posts

Posted - 08/25/2007 :  07:46:31   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit marfknox's Homepage  Send marfknox an AOL message Send marfknox a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Mooner and Ghost - the sad thing is that most Americans would have no idea what either of you are talking about at all, uneducated punks as we are.

"Too much certainty and clarity could lead to cruel intolerance" -Karen Armstrong

Check out my art store: http://www.marfknox.etsy.com

Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 08/25/2007 :  08:05:48   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by marfknox

Mooner and Ghost - the sad thing is that most Americans would have no idea what either of you are talking about at all, uneducated punks as we are.
Well, I have to admit that "the Treaty of Ghent" didn't just come trippingly out of my memory. Nor did even the proper spelling of Lake Champlain. (I first spelled it "Lake Champaign," but had a hunch something was not quite right with that.) Wiki saves the day, once again.

Edited by - HalfMooner on 08/25/2007 08:06:54
Go to Top of Page

chaloobi
SFN Regular

1620 Posts

Posted - 08/28/2007 :  10:26:34   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send chaloobi a Yahoo! Message Send chaloobi a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I wonder what would happen if the US did something like that. If the Bush Administration decided to take 'preventative' action against Iran and used neutron bombs to kill most Iranians, what would happen? Ignore the liklihood of impeachment and genocide trials at home, and think about the world's reaction. Would one of the other nuclear powers retaliate? Would the world diplomatically and politically isolate the US? Would the world demand trials for crimes against humanity?

I know more than a few people who casually claim they would solve all the problems in the Middle-East and Central Asia with nuclear weapons. The stark moral baggage aside, whenever they say such things, I wonder what the true real-politik implications of such an act would be. Clearly Iran would cease to be any kind of threat, but I'm thinking the US would be a lot less safe due to the 'blow back' such action would bring about. There could result world wide economic collapse, a coup or a civil war in the US, open war between nuclear powers, etc.

-Chaloobi

Go to Top of Page

BigPapaSmurf
SFN Die Hard

3192 Posts

Posted - 08/28/2007 :  10:39:22   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send BigPapaSmurf a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Engage Fan, insert scat.

"...things I have neither seen nor experienced nor heard tell of from anybody else; things, what is more, that do not in fact exist and could not ever exist at all. So my readers must not believe a word I say." -Lucian on his book True History

"...They accept such things on faith alone, without any evidence. So if a fraudulent and cunning person who knows how to take advantage of a situation comes among them, he can make himself rich in a short time." -Lucian critical of early Christians c.166 AD From his book, De Morte Peregrini
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 08/28/2007 :  17:45:18   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by chaloobi

I wonder what would happen if the US did something like that. If the Bush Administration decided to take 'preventative' action against Iran and used neutron bombs to kill most Iranians, what would happen? Ignore the liklihood of impeachment and genocide trials at home, and think about the world's reaction. Would one of the other nuclear powers retaliate? Would the world diplomatically and politically isolate the US? Would the world demand trials for crimes against humanity?

I know more than a few people who casually claim they would solve all the problems in the Middle-East and Central Asia with nuclear weapons. The stark moral baggage aside, whenever they say such things, I wonder what the true real-politik implications of such an act would be. Clearly Iran would cease to be any kind of threat, but I'm thinking the US would be a lot less safe due to the 'blow back' such action would bring about. There could result world wide economic collapse, a coup or a civil war in the US, open war between nuclear powers, etc.
Very important considerations. I doubt another nuclear power would nuke the US, but the international isolation and condemnation might be nearly universal.

Your list is pretty good, I think. Massive losses of diplomatic recognition, loss of almost all remaining allies, an oil embargo perhaps more effective than that of the 1973, national and global economic collapse. Great political upheaval in the US, including riots.

Hope we don't go there, for Iran's sake and our own.

Go to Top of Page

Siberia
SFN Addict

Brazil
2322 Posts

Posted - 08/29/2007 :  09:50:25   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Siberia's Homepage  Send Siberia an AOL message  Send Siberia a Yahoo! Message Send Siberia a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by HalfMooner

Very important considerations. I doubt another nuclear power would nuke the US, but the international isolation and condemnation might be nearly universal.

Your list is pretty good, I think. Massive losses of diplomatic recognition, loss of almost all remaining allies, an oil embargo perhaps more effective than that of the 1973, national and global economic collapse. Great political upheaval in the US, including riots.

Except, at least I would fear the next would be my country. And we know that in matters of war, the US wins, period. I wouldn't be surprised if they simply fell on their knees and kept their mouths shut for fear of being bombed shitless.

"Why are you afraid of something you're not even sure exists?"
- The Kovenant, Via Negativa

"People who don't like their beliefs being laughed at shouldn't have such funny beliefs."
-- unknown
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 08/29/2007 :  18:15:25   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Siberia

Except, at least I would fear the next would be my country. And we know that in matters of war, the US wins, period. I wouldn't be surprised if they simply fell on their knees and kept their mouths shut for fear of being bombed shitless.
I suspect it would be more likely that Bush would ally with Brazil against Venezuela.

Go to Top of Page

Siberia
SFN Addict

Brazil
2322 Posts

Posted - 08/30/2007 :  09:40:32   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Siberia's Homepage  Send Siberia an AOL message  Send Siberia a Yahoo! Message Send Siberia a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Originally posted by Siberia

I suspect it would be more likely that Bush would ally with Brazil against Venezuela.

Mm, under the current regime, no, don't think so. Or rather, the U.S. wouldn't. We were against the Iraq war, we have little to no war power... nah, if he wanted, he'd do it alone. And squish us while at it.

"Why are you afraid of something you're not even sure exists?"
- The Kovenant, Via Negativa

"People who don't like their beliefs being laughed at shouldn't have such funny beliefs."
-- unknown
Go to Top of Page

chaloobi
SFN Regular

1620 Posts

Posted - 08/30/2007 :  10:22:12   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send chaloobi a Yahoo! Message Send chaloobi a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I wonder how many Americans would support an Iranian genocide. Interesting to note that the IAEA says Iran's nuclear program is anemic at best. That and the fact that they haven't done anything 'illegal' per the non-proliferation treaty, one wonders why the Bush Administration has been whipping up fear of Iran for the last 6 years... If anything, we should have been engaging them all this time rather than declaring them evil and so on. It amazes me how stupid the Bush Administration foreign policy has been.

-Chaloobi

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.14 seconds.