Feature Suggestions
 Embedded Videos?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic   

JEROME DA GNOME
BANNED

2418 Posts

Posted - 08/26/2007 :  11:32:44  Show Profile Send JEROME DA GNOME a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Why does everyone think about having embedded videos?

What a man believes upon grossly insufficient evidence is an index into his desires -- desires of which he himself is often unconscious. If a man is offered a fact which goes against his instincts, he will scrutinize it closely, and unless the evidence is overwhelming, he will refuse to believe it. If, on the other hand, he is offered something which affords a reason for acting in accordance to his instincts, he will accept it even on the slightest evidence. The origin of myths is explained in this way. - Bertrand Russell

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26021 Posts

Posted - 08/26/2007 :  12:53:17   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I don't know about anyone else, but I don't think about it very often.

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Why not question something for a change?
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.
Go to Top of Page

JEROME DA GNOME
BANNED

2418 Posts

Posted - 08/26/2007 :  13:08:50   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send JEROME DA GNOME a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Dave W.

I don't know about anyone else, but I don't think about it very often.

Now that you have thought about it, what do you think?

What a man believes upon grossly insufficient evidence is an index into his desires -- desires of which he himself is often unconscious. If a man is offered a fact which goes against his instincts, he will scrutinize it closely, and unless the evidence is overwhelming, he will refuse to believe it. If, on the other hand, he is offered something which affords a reason for acting in accordance to his instincts, he will accept it even on the slightest evidence. The origin of myths is explained in this way. - Bertrand Russell
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 08/26/2007 :  13:15:03   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
What is an 'embedded vidio?' If I knew anything about such, I might have given them some thought at one time or another.

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

JEROME DA GNOME
BANNED

2418 Posts

Posted - 08/26/2007 :  13:58:05   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send JEROME DA GNOME a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by filthy

What is an 'embedded vidio?' If I knew anything about such, I might have given them some thought at one time or another.

Being able to place a video in your post instead of just a link to the video in your post.

One would still have to choose to press play of course. Think of it in the way you place pictures in your posts.

Go to Top of Page

Siberia
SFN Addict

Brazil
2322 Posts

Posted - 08/26/2007 :  14:28:12   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Siberia's Homepage  Send Siberia an AOL message  Send Siberia a Yahoo! Message Send Siberia a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, I'd rather they weren't; my connection is slow and I avoid videos as much as possible - to have them in a post would be a big turn off.

"Why are you afraid of something you're not even sure exists?"
- The Kovenant, Via Negativa

"People who don't like their beliefs being laughed at shouldn't have such funny beliefs."
-- unknown
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26021 Posts

Posted - 08/26/2007 :  14:44:05   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by JEROME DA GNOME

Now that you have thought about it, what do you think?
You missed the joke.

Anyway, embedded video might be nice, but there are lots of higher-priority code changes to be made, first.

Evidently, I rock!
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 08/26/2007 :  15:12:55   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by JEROME DA GNOME

Originally posted by filthy

Being able to place a video in your post instead of just a link to the video in your post.

One would still have to choose to press play of course. Think of it in the way you place pictures in your posts.

Ah, I see. Ok, I'm agreeing with Siberia and for the same reasons.
Well, I'd rather they weren't; my connection is slow and I avoid videos as much as possible - to have them in a post would be a big turn off.
They're a nuisance if you're not going to open them anyway and the cursor won't scroll through them, on my box at least.

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26021 Posts

Posted - 08/26/2007 :  15:48:37   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
For those who are unfamiliar with 'em, this page has an embedded video.

Evidently, I rock!
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 08/26/2007 :  17:23:54   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, doing it like in that example should not be a bad thing. No real video runs unless you click the button, and You Tube provides the bandwidth. Makes it an option for the visitor, and free for the site.

Biology is just physics that has begun to smell bad.” —HalfMooner
Here's a link to Moonscape News, and one to its Archive.
Edited by - HalfMooner on 08/26/2007 17:25:17
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26021 Posts

Posted - 08/26/2007 :  19:26:15   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, the initial image sucks up as much of the viewer's bandwidth as any image of the same size. Perhaps a little more.

If, due to a low-badnwidth connection, they're not going to play the video, then those readers get nothing but an often-uninformative image with a big triangle on it. I can certainly see how that'd be annoying.

Evidently, I rock!
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 08/27/2007 :  06:44:26   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Having no sooner said that I don't open vidios, I opened one over there at Randi's place. Friends, this one you've got to see!

Shadow Puppets

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

marfknox
SFN Die Hard

USA
3739 Posts

Posted - 08/27/2007 :  08:00:33   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit marfknox's Homepage  Send marfknox an AOL message Send marfknox a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I like links to videos better.

"Too much certainty and clarity could lead to cruel intolerance" -Karen Armstrong

Check out my art store: http://www.marfknox.etsy.com

Go to Top of Page

Siberia
SFN Addict

Brazil
2322 Posts

Posted - 08/27/2007 :  09:16:32   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Siberia's Homepage  Send Siberia an AOL message  Send Siberia a Yahoo! Message Send Siberia a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Dave W.

Well, the initial image sucks up as much of the viewer's bandwidth as any image of the same size. Perhaps a little more.

If, due to a low-badnwidth connection, they're not going to play the video, then those readers get nothing but an often-uninformative image with a big triangle on it. I can certainly see how that'd be annoying.

Well, if it doesn't autoplay, then I guess I'm cool with it. As long as they don't autoplay.

"Why are you afraid of something you're not even sure exists?"
- The Kovenant, Via Negativa

"People who don't like their beliefs being laughed at shouldn't have such funny beliefs."
-- unknown
Go to Top of Page

JohnOAS
SFN Regular

Australia
800 Posts

Posted - 08/29/2007 :  07:50:54   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit JohnOAS's Homepage Send JohnOAS a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by marfknox

I like links to videos better.

Agreed.

If I'm going to be bothered to watch a video, doing so in a new tab/window would be my preferred option anyway. For this, a link is better, Youtube embedded links actually make that more difficult.

I wouldn't vote against it, it's perfectly normal web fare, but I see no reason to push it up the priority list here, we really lose almost nothing by not having it.

I like SFN for all the fancy shmancy words and arguments. The pics are fine, and useful on occasion, but not what I come here for.

Embedded movies? Meh.

John's just this guy, you know.
Edited by - JohnOAS on 08/29/2007 07:51:26
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic   
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.22 seconds.