Save Password
Forgot your Password?
Home | Forums | Active Topics | Active Polls | Register | FAQ | Contact Us  
  Connect: Chat | SFN Messenger | Buddy List | Members
Personalize: Profile | My Page | Forum Bookmarks  
 All Forums
 Our Skeptic Forums
 Religion
 Irregular splotch sighted in Pennsylvania.
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Abdul Alhazred
Skeptic Friend

USA
58 Posts

Posted - 08/31/2007 :  20:38:58  Show Profile  Visit Abdul Alhazred's Homepage Send Abdul Alhazred a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Did I say irregular splotch?

I meant the Holy Mother of God.

Short video from news report ==> http://liveleak.com/view?i=450_1188520073

The lack of a rational explanation is not evidence for an irrational explanation.

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 08/31/2007 :  21:15:49   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Abdul Alhazred

Did I say irregular splotch?
I think you meant "reflection of the Sun off the windows on the opposite side of the street."

Even in that video clip, you can see people's heads and hands creating shadow puppets.

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Why not question something for a change?
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 08/31/2007 :  23:20:25   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I know that some may say, "these people need that kind of comfort." No. They may want it, but credulous people don't need their credulism tuned up.

A: Why did not the TV newspeople turn their camera on the reflecting window?

Q:Because they are cynically pandering to morons.

Biology is just physics that has begun to smell bad.” —HalfMooner
Here's a link to Moonscape News, and one to its Archive.
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 08/31/2007 :  23:58:53   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Is this a harmless belief?

How much fuel is being wasted by people driving and flying to the site?

How much productivity is being lost by people taking off work?

How many of the people who visit will be suckered by hucksters who will see obvious marks (celebrating their credulity for the cameras) and also flock to the site?

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Why not question something for a change?
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 09/01/2007 :  02:50:01   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Out of curosity, and as I kind'a/sort'a collect Mary sightings, I opened the video. Pathetic, even for Mary. The stale cheese sandwich image was much better. I was, however, quite impressed by the size of the crowd, in both senses of the word.

Must have been a slow news day, to send a reporter to cover such silliness. Or maybe not.....

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 09/01/2007 :  03:18:15   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
This one's really ridiculous. You can see people's shadows in the "Mary" light, and it's even mentioned that the "image" appears around 6 PM every day. Duh!

I find it amazing that nobody being taped seems to even look around to squint back toward the window from which the sun's light is clearly being reflected.

Nor is there anything like a representation of Mary, or any human figure, just a vague, unfocused, oval spot of light. Even that obvious fact doesn't seem to be of concern to credulous fools.

One can see here a vivid example of how powerful can be the will, especially amplified by a crowd, to "see" and believe things that either aren't there, or are being outrageously misinterpreted. This crowd is carefully self-screened to include mainly the credulous. As though listening to to Lot, nobody turns around to look back. They want to think they've witnessed a miracle, and they are not going to spoil it all with a skeptical glance. My respect for human witnesses just dropped to an even lower level.

The Our Lady of Fatima "miracle" bullshit must have been something very like this.

Biology is just physics that has begun to smell bad.” —HalfMooner
Here's a link to Moonscape News, and one to its Archive.
Edited by - HalfMooner on 09/01/2007 03:35:31
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 09/01/2007 :  03:26:30   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, the world wobbles along on it's axis as it scurries around the Sun. In a couple of weeks time, give or take, "Mary" will disappear as mysteriously as she arrived, only to return, briefly, next August. If it's an uncloudy day.

One hopes that, with a year to think about it, someone will have figgered it out.

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

JEROME DA GNOME
BANNED

2418 Posts

Posted - 09/01/2007 :  05:03:08   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send JEROME DA GNOME a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I never understood how GOD could have a mother in the first place. Religion teaches people to be followers, this allows the elite easier control of the masses. Much in the same way the idea of GOD having a mother, I find the idea that man is the cause of global warming and not the sun another control tool.

What a man believes upon grossly insufficient evidence is an index into his desires -- desires of which he himself is often unconscious. If a man is offered a fact which goes against his instincts, he will scrutinize it closely, and unless the evidence is overwhelming, he will refuse to believe it. If, on the other hand, he is offered something which affords a reason for acting in accordance to his instincts, he will accept it even on the slightest evidence. The origin of myths is explained in this way. - Bertrand Russell
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 09/01/2007 :  06:47:07   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by JEROME DA GNOME

I never understood how GOD could have a mother in the first place. Religion teaches people to be followers, this allows the elite easier control of the masses. Much in the same way the idea of GOD having a mother, I find the idea that man is the cause of global warming and not the sun another control tool.

"All religions are confusing; it's what keeps priests in business. ~~ The Last Tomb, forgotten the author.

Jerome, nobody said that man was the cause of global warming, merely a contributer, albeit a large one.

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

furshur
SFN Regular

USA
1536 Posts

Posted - 09/05/2007 :  13:13:54   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send furshur a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I find the idea that man is the cause of global warming and not the sun another control tool.

Do you have any idea how stupid you appear when you say shit like this?

If I knew then what I know now then I would know more now than I know.
Go to Top of Page

Dude
SFN Die Hard

USA
6891 Posts

Posted - 09/06/2007 :  00:56:10   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Dude a Private Message  Reply with Quote
My favotite "mary" image was a local one down here in pinellas county FL. A building with glass mirrored exterior just "magically" turned up one day (after a couple of trees were cut down) to have the outline of her head on the side.

Turns out that a couple of years ealier her image was painted on as a chistmas decoration. The paint left a permanent mark on the glass, so instead of getting new glass the building owner planted some palm trees outside to cover it up!

The catholics bought the building, set up some goofy little shrine. People came from all over, it was a ridiculous traffic jamming media spectacle. Knowing that the image was a paint remnant, they still bought the building and encouraged people to come look at it.

I recall one local news reporter asking a "man on the street" if they knew it was a paint remnant, the person said no and refused to be swayed by the account of why the outline of a 3 story virgin mary head was on the side of a building. The reporter even had a picture of the christms decoration.

Ignorance is preferable to error; and he is less remote from the truth who believes nothing, than he who believes what is wrong.
-- Thomas Jefferson

"god :: the last refuge of a man with no answers and no argument." - G. Carlin

Hope, n.
The handmaiden of desperation; the opiate of despair; the illegible signpost on the road to perdition. ~~ da filth
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 09/06/2007 :  03:47:14   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It's all another piece of supporting evidence for a strong hypotheses of mine: Homo s. sapiens is much too stupid to have any long-term, evolutionary survival prospects.

If we keep going as we are, and we will, that Hypotheses will become a Theory and a horrible Fact will finally dawn upon the last of us: It took a dreadful comet from the vast reaches of the solar system to do unto the dinosaurs what Homo the Sap did unto himself.

But no matter, Jesus cares and provides us with images of his adulterous trollop of a mother in various & sundry places, and often has her speak to the psychologically anointed, provide comfort to the blindly faithful, and opens the door to black humor for such as myself.

More and more, it looks like the End Times whiners are correct in their drooling prophecies, although they have not really thought it, nor much of anything, really, through. There will be no Rapture, just a confused scramble for the evolutionary exit, stage left.

and Crypto-Communist!

Edited by - filthy on 09/06/2007 04:02:33
Go to Top of Page

The Rat
SFN Regular

Canada
1370 Posts

Posted - 09/06/2007 :  06:31:32   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit The Rat's Homepage Send The Rat a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Looks like they emptied the local bingo hall to get that crowd, man, what a collection of fuglies. I laughed so hard I think there's an irregular splotch in my underwear.

Think that crowd will turn up at my place now?

Bailey's second law; There is no relationship between the three virtues of intelligence, education, and wisdom.

You fiend! Never have I encountered such corrupt and foul-minded perversity! Have you ever considered a career in the Church? - The Bishop of Bath and Wells, Blackadder II

Baculum's page: http://www.bebo.com/Profile.jsp?MemberId=3947338590
Go to Top of Page

Randy
SFN Regular

USA
1990 Posts

Posted - 09/06/2007 :  12:28:21   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Randy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Maybe so, Dave. For maximum effect, try nailing the undies up on a cross planted in your front yard. Starch the hell out of them and tack 'em about half way up the cross.
hee-hee

"We are all connected; to each other biologically, to the earth chemically, to the rest of the universe atomically."

"So you're made of detritus [from exploded stars]. Get over it. Or better yet, celebrate it. After all, what nobler thought can one cherish than that the universe lives within us all?"
-Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Go to Top of Page

The Rat
SFN Regular

Canada
1370 Posts

Posted - 09/06/2007 :  15:59:24   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit The Rat's Homepage Send The Rat a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Randy

Maybe so, Dave. For maximum effect, try nailing the undies up on a cross planted in your front yard. Starch the hell out of them and tack 'em about half way up the cross.
hee-hee

You forgot the most important part - the collection box!

Bailey's second law; There is no relationship between the three virtues of intelligence, education, and wisdom.

You fiend! Never have I encountered such corrupt and foul-minded perversity! Have you ever considered a career in the Church? - The Bishop of Bath and Wells, Blackadder II

Baculum's page: http://www.bebo.com/Profile.jsp?MemberId=3947338590
Go to Top of Page

Original_Intent
SFN Regular

USA
609 Posts

Posted - 09/11/2007 :  15:08:55   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Original_Intent a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Dude, clean your garage door.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.2 seconds.