Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Gorgo
SFN Die Hard

USA
5310 Posts

Posted - 09/09/2007 :  03:23:56  Show Profile Send Gorgo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Pat Condell is evidently a comedian, but he's not attempting to be funny in this video. He's worried about Islamic fundamentalism in Europe.

Is he right on this one?

I know the rent is in arrears
The dog has not been fed in years
It's even worse than it appears
But it's alright-
Jerry Garcia
Robert Hunter

Edited by - Gorgo on 09/09/2007 03:24:24

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 09/09/2007 :  05:30:19   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Wow. I could not find anything incorrect in all that. What Condell said has been one of my worries for some time, but I don't know Europe all that well. I suspect that if things are going as he describes, a Fascist radical right will rise up to try to run the Muslims out of Europe. Unless secularism with a real spine becomes stronger first to stop Sharia law.

It would be interesting to hear European skeptics' thoughts on this.

Biology is just physics that has begun to smell bad.” —HalfMooner
Here's a link to Moonscape News, and one to its Archive.
Edited by - HalfMooner on 09/09/2007 05:37:33
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 09/09/2007 :  05:56:52   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
"For every action, there is an equal and opposit reaction." ~~ Did Sir Issac say that? I don't remember.

But the esteemed Mr. Condell need not worry on my account; I have no respect at all for Islam. Fuck 'em. And before the Christians get all excited over that statement, I have no respect for their myth system, either. Nor any other.

I'll say it again: religion is the greatest evil any species has ever inflicted upon itself and should be stamped out like a vermin infestation with no discrimination whatsoever. Not possible of course, but I think that I am well-supported by history in this viewpoint.

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

Dr. Mabuse
Septic Fiend

Sweden
9687 Posts

Posted - 09/10/2007 :  19:39:02   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Dr. Mabuse an ICQ Message Send Dr. Mabuse a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by HalfMooner

Wow. I could not find anything incorrect in all that. What Condell said has been one of my worries for some time, but I don't know Europe all that well. I suspect that if things are going as he describes, a Fascist radical right will rise up to try to run the Muslims out of Europe. Unless secularism with a real spine becomes stronger first to stop Sharia law.

I take pride in living in one of the most secularised countries in the world. But, I haven't paying much attention lately to what religious "rights" people have here in Sweden. What exemptions are being made to the law in the name of religious freedom.
We had the imbecile Pastor Green who was preaching that gay is a cancer, but he won his case in the supreme court. I found that alarming.
But I'm unsure about other examples.

Dr. Mabuse - "When the going gets tough, the tough get Duct-tape..."
Dr. Mabuse whisper.mp3

"Equivocation is not just a job, for a creationist it's a way of life..." Dr. Mabuse

Support American Troops in Iraq:
Send them unarmed civilians for target practice..
Collateralmurder.
Go to Top of Page

JEROME DA GNOME
BANNED

2418 Posts

Posted - 09/10/2007 :  20:11:52   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send JEROME DA GNOME a Private Message  Reply with Quote
If one reads Sun Zu "Art of War", one will understand exactly what is happening.

Divide and conquer.

What a man believes upon grossly insufficient evidence is an index into his desires -- desires of which he himself is often unconscious. If a man is offered a fact which goes against his instincts, he will scrutinize it closely, and unless the evidence is overwhelming, he will refuse to believe it. If, on the other hand, he is offered something which affords a reason for acting in accordance to his instincts, he will accept it even on the slightest evidence. The origin of myths is explained in this way. - Bertrand Russell
Go to Top of Page

Ghost_Skeptic
SFN Regular

Canada
510 Posts

Posted - 09/10/2007 :  21:15:06   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Ghost_Skeptic a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I only hope more people have the courage to say these necessary but politicaly incorrect things. A while ago the Government of Ontario proposed to allow Sharia courts to decide family law matters if all parties consented since they had similar provisions for Catholics and Jews. Furtunately the outcry (much of it from muslim women) was so great that they abanded that idea and got rid of the Catholic and Jewish systems as well in order ot avoid Charter of Rights challenges.

I also liked this one

"You can lead a horse to water but you can't make him drink. / You can send a kid to college but you can't make him think." - B.B. King

History is made by stupid people - The Arrogant Worms

"The greater the ignorance the greater the dogmatism." - William Osler

"Religion is the natural home of the psychopath" - Pat Condell

"The day will come when the mystical generation of Jesus, by the supreme being as his father in the womb of a virgin, will be classed with the fable of the generation of Minerva in the brain of Jupiter" - Thomas Jefferson
Go to Top of Page

Yojimbo99

USA
33 Posts

Posted - 09/10/2007 :  23:48:29   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Yojimbo99 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Gorgo

Pat Condell is evidently a comedian, but he's not attempting to be funny in this video. He's worried about Islamic fundamentalism in Europe.

Is he right on this one?

You are fucking A right he's right. And Europe has the dubioius honor of becoming the breeding ground for such backwards thinking.. to paraphrase those I can not remember at the moment: It is becoming tolerant of the untolerable.

However; I think it is coming to a head and the free thinking good people of Western Europe when push comes to shove will shove out the Islamofacists, well I hope so any way, because they are the real front line in the war against radical Islamo-bullshit.

It's not so much wanting to die, but controlling that moment, choosing your own way. - GG Allin
Go to Top of Page

perrodetokio
Skeptic Friend

275 Posts

Posted - 09/11/2007 :  07:20:42   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send perrodetokio a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by HalfMooner

Those are my worries as well. You have some bad shit and then more shit comes along (from the other extreme).

However, at least in England, thereīs enough Christian bullshit to even-out muslim bullshit.

Yeah, sure. Maybe not so openly, however anything is an excuse to attack the other side.

And the BNP in England is bullshit as well.

Divide and conquer. Thatīs what I see they do.

"Yes I have a belief in a creator/God but do not know that he exists." Bill Scott

"They are still mosquitoes! They did not turn into whales or lizards or anything else. They are still mosquitoes!..." Bill Scott

"We should have millions of missing links or transition fossils showing a fish turning into a philosopher..." Bill Scott
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 09/11/2007 :  07:55:45   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Ghost_Skeptic

I only hope more people have the courage to say these necessary but politicaly incorrect things. A while ago the Government of Ontario proposed to allow Sharia courts to decide family law matters if all parties consented since they had similar provisions for Catholics and Jews. Furtunately the outcry (much of it from muslim women) was so great that they abanded that idea and got rid of the Catholic and Jewish systems as well in order ot avoid Charter of Rights challenges.

I also liked this one

This guy strikes me as just an pissed-off, impolite version of Richard Dawkins. I like that about him.

Go to Top of Page

Siberia
SFN Addict

Brazil
2322 Posts

Posted - 09/11/2007 :  09:54:47   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Siberia's Homepage  Send Siberia an AOL message  Send Siberia a Yahoo! Message Send Siberia a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Does anyone even know if there is any such movement in Europe or if it's only talk from people who would like to sow discord against Islamic people in general, regardless of what they're actually doing? I don't know, I just don't see Europe being suddenly overwhelmed by Islamofascists out of thin air, but then, what do I know.

"Why are you afraid of something you're not even sure exists?"
- The Kovenant, Via Negativa

"People who don't like their beliefs being laughed at shouldn't have such funny beliefs."
-- unknown
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 09/11/2007 :  11:25:12   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Siberia

Does anyone even know if there is any such movement in Europe or if it's only talk from people who would like to sow discord against Islamic people in general, regardless of what they're actually doing? I don't know, I just don't see Europe being suddenly overwhelmed by Islamofascists out of thin air, but then, what do I know.
I think it's pretty clear that there are both a lot of Jihadists in Europe, and some seriously xenophobic real Fascists who'd like to kill or deport all Muslims (and others). What seems to be the issue is the question of where are the politicians who are willing to stand up for secular principles and prevent these extremes from getting out of hand.

Condell seems to be pointing out some real problems.

I don't write this out of some kind of smug American superiority, as I know (and have repeatedly stated) that we have some extremely serious problems with theocracy here, as well. But what we don't have is a large or serious domestic Jihadist movement. We have few if any suicide bombers. The US, unlike France, is not going to be a majority-Muslim country by 2050. (It's more likely, IMO, to be a majority-atheist country by then, but that's somewhere between a guess and a vain hope.)

The really sick part of this is that some European politicians are playing up to the growing Muslim populations by going along with barbaric aspects of Sharia law, using the excuse of "cultural sensitivity."

They seek to make such a "sensitive" stand look "progressive" on the surface, while actually supporting the most reactionary segment of Islam, the segment that has effectively cowed and silenced moderate Muslims.

Of course, these politicians are essentially cutting their own throats in the long term, along with backstabbing their countrymen and their very societies.

It's a situation where a genuine progressive (or moderate) would take a stand and say, "All who come in peace and support our shared values are welcome, but ours is a secular society that will never bow to any religion's laws." Too few apparently are taking such a stand, so far.

Edited by - HalfMooner on 09/11/2007 11:28:31
Go to Top of Page

maledoro
Skeptic Friend

66 Posts

Posted - 09/20/2007 :  11:25:11   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit maledoro's Homepage Send maledoro a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Gorgo
Pat Condell

I think I've found a new hero!

"Nothing frightens me more than religion at my door."

-John Cale
Go to Top of Page

Boron10
Religion Moderator

USA
1266 Posts

Posted - 09/20/2007 :  12:34:22   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Boron10 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by maledoro

I think I've found a new hero!
Same
Go to Top of Page

Dr. Mabuse
Septic Fiend

Sweden
9687 Posts

Posted - 09/20/2007 :  17:35:45   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Dr. Mabuse an ICQ Message Send Dr. Mabuse a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Yojimbo99

You are fucking A right he's right. And Europe has the dubioius honor of becoming the breeding ground for such backwards thinking.. to paraphrase those I can not remember at the moment: It is becoming tolerant of the untolerable.
Are you kidding?
USA has been a breeding ground for the religiously insane for decades. The difference is that the religion is Christianity and not Islam.

Dr. Mabuse - "When the going gets tough, the tough get Duct-tape..."
Dr. Mabuse whisper.mp3

"Equivocation is not just a job, for a creationist it's a way of life..." Dr. Mabuse

Support American Troops in Iraq:
Send them unarmed civilians for target practice..
Collateralmurder.
Go to Top of Page

Boron10
Religion Moderator

USA
1266 Posts

Posted - 09/20/2007 :  17:45:22   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Boron10 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Dr. Mabuse

Are you kidding?
USA has been a breeding ground for the religiously insane for decades. The difference is that the religion is Christianity and not Islam.
Yes, but USA's excuse is that Europe gathered up all their religious nuts and sent them here.
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 09/20/2007 :  17:51:50   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Dr. Mabuse

Originally posted by Yojimbo99

Are you kidding?
Our domestic Christian extremists are dangerous only politically, for the most part. Almost all of them are far too cowardly to take up arms, much less to become suicide bombers. Meanwhile, Europe continues to have an active campaign of bombings and assassination threats by Jihadists. There's no real equality in the comparison.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.17 seconds.