Emmy show censors Kathy Griffin acceptance speech
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 09/11/2007 :  08:14:48  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
From CNN:
LOS ANGELES, California (AP) -- Before Kathy Griffin won a creative arts Emmy last weekend for her reality show, "My Life on the D-List," she joked that an award would move her to the C-list.
Griffin

Kathy Griffin was pleased to win an Emmy, but her speech will likely be trimmed.

She was right: "C" as in censored.

n her speech, Griffin said that "a lot of people come up here and thank Jesus for this award. I want you to know that no one had less to do with this award than Jesus."

She went on to hold up her Emmy, make an off-color remark about Christ and proclaim, "This award is my god now!"

The comedian's remarks were condemned Monday by Catholic League President Bill Donohue, who called them a "vulgar, in-your-face brand of hate speech."

According to the TV academy and E!, when the four hour-plus ceremony is edited into a two-hour program, Griffin's remarks will be shown in "an abbreviated version" in which some language may be bleeped.
I don't know what other words Griffin said, because CNN censored that from their article. Maybe, in context, censorship was justified, and maybe not. But "Hate speech"? Is that what is going to be claimed anytime someone denies a deity? Is that how people like Donahoe plan to smear people?

Fuck you, Donahoe, and the god that rode in on you.

Biology is just physics that has begun to smell bad.” —HalfMooner
Here's a link to Moonscape News, and one to its Archive.

Edited by - HalfMooner on 09/11/2007 08:15:33

Cuneiformist
The Imperfectionist

USA
4955 Posts

Posted - 09/11/2007 :  08:30:26   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Cuneiformist a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Oh, wow. Good for her if she said it. I've always hoped that someone would note that Jesus (or Yahweh, or whomever) had nothing to do with winning an award. I'd also love it if, in an interview with the star player on the losing team of some big game, the player blamed Jesus for the loss.

"I just want to acknowledge Jesus' role in my poor performance today, including the two fumbles and that dropped pass in the forth quarter."
Go to Top of Page

The Rat
SFN Regular

Canada
1370 Posts

Posted - 09/11/2007 :  21:12:57   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit The Rat's Homepage Send The Rat a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Children starving and dying of AIDS in Africa, thousands dying in a tsunami, millions in poverty, and they believe that their god gives a flying fuck about who wins and Emmy?! Either their god has its priorities wrong, or they're belief is wrong.

Take yer pick.

Bailey's second law; There is no relationship between the three virtues of intelligence, education, and wisdom.

You fiend! Never have I encountered such corrupt and foul-minded perversity! Have you ever considered a career in the Church? - The Bishop of Bath and Wells, Blackadder II

Baculum's page: http://www.bebo.com/Profile.jsp?MemberId=3947338590
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 09/11/2007 :  21:16:35   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by The Rat

Children starving and dying of AIDS in Africa, thousands dying in a tsunami, millions in poverty, and they believe that their god gives a flying fuck about who wins and Emmy?! Either their god has its priorities wrong, or they're belief is wrong.

Take yer pick.
Shame on you for trying to force a choice based on a false dichotomy, Rat!

Edited by - HalfMooner on 09/11/2007 21:17:09
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 09/12/2007 :  01:30:25   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yes but -- ha-ha-ha -- too late! Everyone who has some means of electronic communication knows about it, and the Papist dipshit Donohue can whine, snivel, pray & be damned. I wonder if/when he'll get caught getting a little extra-curricular poon, of one sort or another. So many of them are, it seems.

As for the hate speech part, sure it is, or at least it would have been if I'd said it. Because I hate those people who think that they are the keepers of the public faith & arbitrator of morals just because their delusions and ambitions tell them that they should be, and I ain't too fond of those who suck up to them.

I've never heard of Ms. Griffin's show and probably wouldn't have watched it if I had, but I do like her style. Congratulations, Kathy!

Edit: I caught the story at Raw Story yesterday.

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

Edited by - filthy on 09/12/2007 02:18:17
Go to Top of Page

marfknox
SFN Die Hard

USA
3739 Posts

Posted - 09/12/2007 :  03:27:54   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit marfknox's Homepage  Send marfknox an AOL message Send marfknox a Private Message  Reply with Quote
"Hate speech"? I suppose this term could be construed as meant to degrade Christianity, but considering that Griffin was a reputation as a rough-around-the-edges comedian, I doubt it was meant to be taken that way. I think she wanted to emphasize her own atheism as a contrast to people who proclaim their religious beliefs while receiving awards. The "off color remark" about Jesus was perhaps crossing the line into vulgarity, but the other two comments were funny IMO and got the point across.

I was wondering why the hell they were quoting the Catholic League when Griffin's comment obviously targeted Christianity in general. But it turns out that Griffin was raised Catholic, but left the church as a teenager. I was raised Catholic too, and frankly, I'd be pretty damned annoyed if still associated with the Catholic Church in this manner just 'cause I said something publicly to criticize generic religious belief. I wonder how this would have gone over if Griffin had been raised Jewish, especially considering that there is a long tradition of Jewish humor poking fun at belief in Jesus as the Messiah.

"Too much certainty and clarity could lead to cruel intolerance" -Karen Armstrong

Check out my art store: http://www.marfknox.etsy.com

Edited by - marfknox on 09/12/2007 03:30:02
Go to Top of Page

marfknox
SFN Die Hard

USA
3739 Posts

Posted - 09/12/2007 :  03:34:42   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit marfknox's Homepage  Send marfknox an AOL message Send marfknox a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Incidentally, the off-color remark was "Suck it, Jesus!"

And the Catholic League also was quoted as calling her comment “obscene and blasphemous.” LOL! Wow, how fucking antiquated are accusations of blasphemy? For crap's sake, we live in a pluralistic society, everybody blasphemes all the friggin' time by virtue of the fact that we don't all agree on our beliefs! Do these assholes not realize that most of their theology is blasphemous to Muslims?

"Too much certainty and clarity could lead to cruel intolerance" -Karen Armstrong

Check out my art store: http://www.marfknox.etsy.com

Edited by - marfknox on 09/12/2007 03:35:36
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 09/12/2007 :  03:49:06   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
"Suck it, Jesus!"? That was all? That's rich!

Marf noted:
... there is a long tradition of Jewish humor poking fun at belief in Jesus as the Messiah.
Also an even longer tradition of a contentious relationship with their deity, and a rich sense of humor to go with it. Just think of the scene with Tevya in "Fiddler on the Roof" looking up as he's talking -- and trying to bargain with -- God.

Edited by - HalfMooner on 09/12/2007 03:51:48
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 09/12/2007 :  03:58:27   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by marfknox

Incidentally, the off-color remark was "Suck it, Jesus!"

And the Catholic League also was quoted as calling her comment “obscene and blasphemous.” LOL! Wow, how fucking antiquated are accusations of blasphemy? For crap's sake, we live in a pluralistic society, everybody blasphemes all the friggin' time by virtue of the fact that we don't all agree on our beliefs! Do these assholes not realize that most of their theology is blasphemous to Muslims?
How can an unbeliever's remarks about anything be blasphemous? All in the eye of the beholder, I suppose.

Here's a little on the Donohue turkey:
AP quotes anti-Semite homophobe as "hate speech" expert critical of John Edwards

by John Aravosis (DC) · 2/07/2007 07:45:00 PM ET

What will the Associated Press come up with next? David Duke on the merits of the fight for black equality, or Lynette "Squeaky" Fromm's inside look at the State of the Union?

What I'm talking about is the Associated Press quoting today what they call a "Catholic group" that is concerned about alleged "anti-Catholic bigots" working on the John Edwards presidential campaign (they're talking about Edwards' new bloggers who have been critical of the Catholic church - and who hasn't?).

The "Catholic group" in question is none other than the Catholic League, a far-right fringe group of activists run by a loud-mouthed and somewhat-unhinged-appearing president William Donohue. Donohue is AP's expert on bigotry and religion. And in fact, Donohue is an expert on religious bigotry and hate speech - an expert in spewing it, that is.

Donohue said the following on December 9, 2004 on MSNBC about Jews:

"Hollywood is controlled by secular Jews who hate Christianity in general and Catholicism in particular. It's not a secret, OK? And I'm not afraid to say it. That's why they hate this movie. It's about Jesus Christ, and it's about truth. It's about the messiah. Hollywood likes anal sex."
Hmm. Another neo-con, religious zealot with a spavined agenda and a mouth that, if it got any bigger, he'd fall in it and drown in his own putrid saliva.

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 09/12/2007 :  04:27:09   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
How about that? Donahoe managed to turn a defense of "The Passion" into both an attack on Jews and (paydirt!) slip the subject of anal sex in as well. All without the least bit of trouble with evidence or even any logical connection. He probably needed a change of underwear after that accomplishment.

Edited by - HalfMooner on 09/12/2007 04:27:58
Go to Top of Page

Valiant Dancer
Forum Goalie

USA
4826 Posts

Posted - 09/12/2007 :  17:27:10   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Valiant Dancer's Homepage Send Valiant Dancer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by HalfMooner

"Suck it, Jesus!"? That was all? That's rich!

Marf noted:
... there is a long tradition of Jewish humor poking fun at belief in Jesus as the Messiah.
Also an even longer tradition of a contentious relationship with their deity, and a rich sense of humor to go with it. Just think of the scene with Tevya in "Fiddler on the Roof" looking up as he's talking -- and trying to bargain with -- God.

Here is the full quote i was able to find from Yahoo.

"A lot of people come up here and thank Jesus for this award. I want you to know that no one had less to do with this award than Jesus," an exultant Griffin said, holding up her statuette. "Suck it, Jesus. This award is my god now."

Cthulhu/Asmodeus when you're tired of voting for the lesser of two evils

Brother Cutlass of Reasoned Discussion
Go to Top of Page

The Rat
SFN Regular

Canada
1370 Posts

Posted - 09/12/2007 :  20:43:17   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit The Rat's Homepage Send The Rat a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Crazy, ain't it? There's this omniscient omnipotent god, but when he/she/it is insulted frail little human weenies are required to defend it's honour, no lightning bolt from the big guy hisself.

Bailey's second law; There is no relationship between the three virtues of intelligence, education, and wisdom.

You fiend! Never have I encountered such corrupt and foul-minded perversity! Have you ever considered a career in the Church? - The Bishop of Bath and Wells, Blackadder II

Baculum's page: http://www.bebo.com/Profile.jsp?MemberId=3947338590
Go to Top of Page

moakley
SFN Regular

USA
1888 Posts

Posted - 09/13/2007 :  18:40:01   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send moakley a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by The Rat

Crazy, ain't it? There's this omniscient omnipotent god, but when he/she/it is insulted frail little human weenies are required to defend it's honour, no lightning bolt from the big guy hisself.
Nah. Should God exist then I suspect that God is very secure being who he/she/it is and would probably be laughing as loud as anyone. It those insecure little human worshippers who are threatened by words. Oh ye of little faith do such words stir your personal doubt.

Edited to add: Forget the 'Nah', I pretty much agree with what you said.

Life is good

Philosophy is questions that may never be answered. Religion is answers that may never be questioned. -Anonymous
Edited by - moakley on 09/13/2007 19:25:30
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 09/14/2007 :  19:18:00   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Cuneiformist

"I just want to acknowledge Jesus' role in my poor performance today, including the two fumbles and that dropped pass in the forth quarter."
Classic 1970s George Carlin. "Jesus made me fumble."

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Why not question something for a change?
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.
Go to Top of Page

BigPapaSmurf
SFN Die Hard

3192 Posts

Posted - 09/14/2007 :  19:53:04   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send BigPapaSmurf a Private Message  Reply with Quote
God loves reality TV, clearly KG has no business winning awards, it must be god.

or
1. Kathy Griffin is a lame comic
2. Kathy Griffin won an Gmmy
3. Therefor God exists

"...things I have neither seen nor experienced nor heard tell of from anybody else; things, what is more, that do not in fact exist and could not ever exist at all. So my readers must not believe a word I say." -Lucian on his book True History

"...They accept such things on faith alone, without any evidence. So if a fraudulent and cunning person who knows how to take advantage of a situation comes among them, he can make himself rich in a short time." -Lucian critical of early Christians c.166 AD From his book, De Morte Peregrini
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.83 seconds.