Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 13

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 09/22/2007 :  17:45:53   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Here's something interesting that I just came across. It's well written and referenced:
Rising seas likely to flood U.S. history
By SETH BORENSTEIN, AP Science Writer

Ultimately, rising seas will likely swamp the first American settlement in Jamestown, Va., as well as the Florida launch pad that sent the first American into orbit, many climate scientists are predicting.

In about a century, some of the places that make America what it is may be slowly erased.

Global warming — through a combination of melting glaciers, disappearing ice sheets and warmer waters expanding — is expected to cause oceans to rise by one meter, or about 39 inches. It will happen regardless of any future actions to curb greenhouse gases, several leading scientists say. And it will reshape the nation.
And:
This past summer's flooding of subways in New York could become far more regular, even an everyday occurrence, with the projected sea rise, other scientists said. And New Orleans' Katrina experience and the daily loss of Louisiana wetlands — which serve as a barrier that weakens hurricanes — are previews of what's to come there.

Florida faces a serious public health risk from rising salt water tainting drinking water wells, said Joel Scheraga, the EPA's director of global change research. And the farm-rich San Joaquin Delta in California faces serious salt water flooding problems, other experts said.

"Sea level rise is going to have more general impact to the population and the infrastructure than almost anything else that I can think of," said S. Jeffress Williams, a U.S. Geological Survey coastal geologist in Woods Hole, Mass.

Even John Christy at the University of Alabama in Huntsville, a scientist often quoted by global warming skeptics, said he figures the seas will rise at least 16 inches by the end of the century. But he tells people to prepare for a rise of about three feet just in case.

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

Edited by - filthy on 09/22/2007 17:48:05
Go to Top of Page

JEROME DA GNOME
BANNED

2418 Posts

Posted - 09/22/2007 :  18:20:53   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send JEROME DA GNOME a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by filthy

Here's something interesting that I just came across. It's well written and referenced:
Rising seas likely to flood U.S. history
By SETH BORENSTEIN, AP Science Writer

Ultimately, rising seas will likely swamp the first American settlement in Jamestown, Va., as well as the Florida launch pad that sent the first American into orbit, many climate scientists are predicting.

In about a century, some of the places that make America what it is may be slowly erased.

Global warming — through a combination of melting glaciers, disappearing ice sheets and warmer waters expanding — is expected to cause oceans to rise by one meter, or about 39 inches. It will happen regardless of any future actions to curb greenhouse gases, several leading scientists say. And it will reshape the nation.
And:
This past summer's flooding of subways in New York could become far more regular, even an everyday occurrence, with the projected sea rise, other scientists said. And New Orleans' Katrina experience and the daily loss of Louisiana wetlands — which serve as a barrier that weakens hurricanes — are previews of what's to come there.

Florida faces a serious public health risk from rising salt water tainting drinking water wells, said Joel Scheraga, the EPA's director of global change research. And the farm-rich San Joaquin Delta in California faces serious salt water flooding problems, other experts said.

"Sea level rise is going to have more general impact to the population and the infrastructure than almost anything else that I can think of," said S. Jeffress Williams, a U.S. Geological Survey coastal geologist in Woods Hole, Mass.

Even John Christy at the University of Alabama in Huntsville, a scientist often quoted by global warming skeptics, said he figures the seas will rise at least 16 inches by the end of the century. But he tells people to prepare for a rise of about three feet just in case.

I read that article earlier today.

I am not trying to be offensive.

I am thoroughly confused as to why the "information" in this article holds any validity.

What a man believes upon grossly insufficient evidence is an index into his desires -- desires of which he himself is often unconscious. If a man is offered a fact which goes against his instincts, he will scrutinize it closely, and unless the evidence is overwhelming, he will refuse to believe it. If, on the other hand, he is offered something which affords a reason for acting in accordance to his instincts, he will accept it even on the slightest evidence. The origin of myths is explained in this way. - Bertrand Russell
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 09/22/2007 :  19:25:19   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by JEROME DA GNOME

According to Real Climate the world wide scientific consensus is defined as:
In order of certainty

1. The earth is getting warmer (0.6 +/- 0.2 oC in the past century; 0.1 0.17 oC/decade over the last 30 years

2. People are causing this

3. If GHG emissions continue, the warming will continue and indeed accelerate [ch 9]

4. (This will be a problem and we ought to do something about it)
The science presented in the form of referenced peer reviewed studies in the PDF file to various degrees disputes some of these conclusions.
No, a list of studies does no such thing, especially when it is the case that not all studies on a subject have been examined (as admitted by the authors of the Hudson List).
Science shows:

Natural long term dramatic climate cycles. (disputes 2,3)
Irrelevant, unless it can be shown that a natural cycle precludes human activities from causing warming. How could it? The authors' argument that current warming is simply a coincidence is weak.
The sun is the largest factor in climate change.(disputes 2,3)
Again, such data would only "dispute" the AGW hypothesis if it can be shown that warming from the Sun precludes human activities from causing warming. How could it? Plus, as we've already discussed in another thread, the data shows that the Sun's effects on Earth temperatures are currently acting to cool it.
Sea levels are not rising rapidly. (disputes 4)

Storms are not worsening. (disputes 4)

Species adapt to climate change. (disputes 4)
If sea level changes, storms and species adaptations were the only problems covered by "This will be a problem and we ought to do something about it," you (and the Hudson List authors) still wouldn't have a valid point. In fact, those claims completely miss the point, which is things will get worse, and adaptation can only go so far when the climate changes quickly. Evolution takes time.

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Why not question something for a change?
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 09/22/2007 :  19:36:31   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by JEROME DA GNOME

I am thoroughly confused as to why the "information" in this article holds any validity.
Do you have a problem with it other than it's a popular-press piece?

Evidently, I rock!
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 09/23/2007 :  03:17:28   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I read that article earlier today.

I am not trying to be offensive.

I am highly offended! KILL JEROME!!!

Ok, did you check the references? Did you take a look at the credentials of those involved? And if you felt that any of that was perhaps a mite dubious, did you research it still deeper?

You can't just take the word of every Twit, Dork & Cheney that comes down the pike, you know. Certainly you've been here long enough to realize that, and to further realize that I, among others, will dig as deep as necessary to get at the facts of the matter.

Do your homework, Jerome.

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 09/24/2007 :  07:33:52   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
At last, all has been made clear!
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Did Noah's Flood spark global warming?
New documentary says temperature rising for last 5,000 years

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Posted: September 22, 2007
1:00 a.m. Eastern

© 2007 WorldNetDaily.com

Yes, global temperatures are rising, says a new video documentary, but it's not because of manmade carbon dioxide gases as former Vice President Al Gore insists.

It's because Earth has been warming slowly but surely ever since Noah's Flood 5,000 years ago, says a retired geophysicist and climate researcher in the video.
Who could but admire the firm science repersented here? It is certainly a relief such brilliance is at work on the problem.

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

furshur
SFN Regular

USA
1536 Posts

Posted - 09/24/2007 :  11:02:46   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send furshur a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Filthy, I went to that site, worldnetdaily.com. What a riot, the whole site was full of really exceptional satire. After a while I began to think that it wasn't suppose to be funny.

They aren't freaking serious are they?!?!

If I knew then what I know now then I would know more now than I know.
Go to Top of Page

H. Humbert
SFN Die Hard

USA
4574 Posts

Posted - 09/24/2007 :  11:16:24   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send H. Humbert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by furshur

Filthy, I went to that site, worldnetdaily.com. What a riot, the whole site was full of really exceptional satire. After a while I began to think that it wasn't suppose to be funny.

Oh, the World Net Daily is a very serious--if utterly discredited--fundy news rag. These are the same people who gave action star and creationist Chuck Norris his own editorial column.

"A man is his own easiest dupe, for what he wishes to be true he generally believes to be true." --Demosthenes

"The first principle is that you must not fool yourself - and you are the easiest person to fool." --Richard P. Feynman

"Face facts with dignity." --found inside a fortune cookie
Go to Top of Page

Cuneiformist
The Imperfectionist

USA
4955 Posts

Posted - 09/24/2007 :  11:16:57   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Cuneiformist a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Looks like Poe's Law again?
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 09/24/2007 :  11:28:43   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Oh they certainly are, which adds greatly to their amusment value. But then, John Wayne Gacy was funny too. It is dangerous to discount these people as just another bucket of Purina Squirrel Chow, even though that's exactly what they are.

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

furshur
SFN Regular

USA
1536 Posts

Posted - 09/24/2007 :  13:17:50   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send furshur a Private Message  Reply with Quote
These are the same people who gave action star and creationist Chuck Norris his own editorial column.

My son and I play this little game, if we are channel surfing and we come across Texas Ranger or whatever Chuck's show is called we watch it only untill someone gets the crap kicked out of them. I have never seen more than 4 - 5 minutes of the show, and that is too much.

He has a column (shakes head).

I wonder how long before he runs for office (just shakes).

If I knew then what I know now then I would know more now than I know.
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 05/11/2008 :  11:53:07   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Resurrecting an old thread:
Originally posted by me, back in September

From the tone of the press release, it seems like the authors have "re-interpreted" 500 scientists' results to agree with their own outlook. If my hypothesis is correct, publication of this list of name will be followed by many complaints from the scientists themselves that their work has been misrepresented.
Thanks to PZ, Tom Elko, Richard Littlemore and Kevin Grandia for showing me that my hypothesis was, in fact, correct. At least for over 36% of queried scientists.

I especially liked Dr. Mary Alice Coffroth's response:
Please remove my name IMMEDIATELY from the following article and from the list which misrepresents my research.
According to Elko, the author of the Heartland Institute's list was already contacted, and said that nobody will be removed from the list. This really is the global-warming denialist's equivalent of the Discovery Institute's list.

Oh, remind me never to name any thinktank I might start using the word "Institute." Seems like a watchword for insanity - as in "institutionalized." Heartland Institute, Discovery Institute, American Family Institute, American Enterprise Institute, etc...

Evidently, I rock!
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 05/11/2008 :  12:28:55   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Aw shucks! For a moment there, I'd thought Jerome had returned and things would get exciting. Ah well, alas.

Misrepresentation and stentorian proclamation are the only cannon the deniers have on their gun decks, and they are not at all shy about using them. But, not suprisingly, they are lousey gunners who couldn't hit a bull in the ass with a bass fiddle. If they could, they too, would follow the serious research rather than try and bastardize the works of others, often in favor of some corporate philosophy or other.

Isn't an "institute" also a place to house the criminally insane?

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

bngbuck
SFN Addict

USA
2437 Posts

Posted - 05/11/2008 :  12:34:59   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send bngbuck a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Damn shame that the Troll with a Goal isn't here to fuck things up with his totally ambivilant, bi-polar commentary - ranging from mildly sensible to utterly stupid.

But the Wrath of the State must be appeased, (except with respect to minor things like capital punishment and the like!)
Go to Top of Page

Dr. Mabuse
Septic Fiend

Sweden
9687 Posts

Posted - 05/11/2008 :  14:14:10   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Dr. Mabuse an ICQ Message Send Dr. Mabuse a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by bngbuck

Damn shame that the Troll with a Goal isn't here to fuck things up with his totally ambivilant, bi-polar commentary - ranging from mildly sensible to utterly stupid.

But the Wrath of the State must be appeased, (except with respect to minor things like capital punishment and the like!)
If you miss Jerome Da Gnome so much, you can find and debate him at JREF-forum.

Dr. Mabuse - "When the going gets tough, the tough get Duct-tape..."
Dr. Mabuse whisper.mp3

"Equivocation is not just a job, for a creationist it's a way of life..." Dr. Mabuse

Support American Troops in Iraq:
Send them unarmed civilians for target practice..
Collateralmurder.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 13 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.55 seconds.