"Beaner's Coffee" changing name to avoid offense
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 09/16/2007 :  22:35:13  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Fast-growing coffee firm to "do the right thing," change name

Detroit, MI, (CPS) -- Beaner's Coffee, an East Lansing company in business since 1995, has been under pressure from Hispanic groups which say its corporate name is demeaning to Mexican-Americans and other Latinos.

"Beaner" is sometimes used as a term of disparagement toward Hispanics, based upon the common Latin American cultural practice of eating frijoles pintos and other beans.

Today, the company announced that it will change its name and corporate logo to put the problem to rest.

"That just doesn't really fall within our mission to have a name that is derogatory," said Beaner's chief executive, Bob Fish. "We felt it was important to do the right thing and change the name."

Old logo of Beaner's Coffee.

New logo for Muhammed's Coffee.

Biology is just physics that has begun to smell bad.” —HalfMooner
Here's a link to Moonscape News, and one to its Archive.

Edited by - HalfMooner on 09/16/2007 23:49:39

Cuneiformist
The Imperfectionist

USA
4955 Posts

Posted - 09/17/2007 :  12:34:31   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Cuneiformist a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Shit, Mooner; I think you just put an image of the prophet on a coffee can, meaning that you're about to have a bounty put on your head!
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 09/17/2007 :  17:52:13   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Cuneiformist

Shit, Mooner; I think you just put an image of the prophet on a coffee can, meaning that you're about to have a bounty put on your head!
And Mom always said I'd always be worthless!

Edited to add: I really do think everyone capable of doing so ought to be graphically portraying Muhammad, until any "blashphemy" becomes as effectively invisible as an individual tree in the forest.

I especially like a T-shirt design I saw, showing a featureless stick figure, and the word, "Muhammad." If we can't desensitize Islamists to reacting violently to Western ideas of freedom of expression, at least we can distract them with overload, and demonstrate that we're not about to change. The more reasonable Muslims might be tending to conclude that avoidance of blasphemy should start at home.

That may well be what has happened in the Vilks case. Many artists did "Muhammad" works in solidarity with the Danes. And there have been no major riots this time around. Of course, all it would take is a word from a mullah or two, and embassies would gain be attacked.

Edited to add: It just occurred to me that if enough bounties are actually paid out, we could bankrupt the entire Jihadist movement.

Edited by - HalfMooner on 09/17/2007 21:13:46
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.08 seconds.