New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

JEROME DA GNOME
BANNED

2418 Posts

Posted - 09/19/2007 :  06:32:00  Show Profile Send JEROME DA GNOME a Private Message  Reply with Quote
2nd National Study About the Accountability of Colleges to Teach America's History and Institutions

* College Seniors Failed a Basic Test on America's History and Institutions.

* Colleges Stall Student Learning about America.

* America's Most Prestigious Universities Performed the Worst.

* Inadequate College Curriculum Contributes to Failure.

* Greater Learning about America Goes Hand-in-Hand with More Active Citizenship.

The overall mean for seniors was 54.2% correct answers. What a waste of $40,000.

What a man believes upon grossly insufficient evidence is an index into his desires -- desires of which he himself is often unconscious. If a man is offered a fact which goes against his instincts, he will scrutinize it closely, and unless the evidence is overwhelming, he will refuse to believe it. If, on the other hand, he is offered something which affords a reason for acting in accordance to his instincts, he will accept it even on the slightest evidence. The origin of myths is explained in this way. - Bertrand Russell

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 09/19/2007 :  07:39:40   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
A private system with competition is so much better, yes?

How did you do on the quiz, Jerome?

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Why not question something for a change?
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.
Go to Top of Page

furshur
SFN Regular

USA
1536 Posts

Posted - 09/19/2007 :  08:00:21   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send furshur a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I did not take any history or political science courses when I went to college. I had more important courses to take.

I looked at the test and could probably get a 'B' or so because I remember some of that crap from high school and from helping my kids in school.

Out of curiosity what is the big deal if I don't know what battle ended the revolutionary war of if I forgot that the Spanish-American war was after reconstruction. I really don't give a rats ass.

If I paid $160,000 dollars for my kid to go to college and he came out as a whiz in american history and political science, but was only able to get a job flipping burgers I would be pretty pissed.

If I knew then what I know now then I would know more now than I know.
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 09/19/2007 :  08:31:28   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Dave W.

I'm embarrassed that I missed so many answers (five wrong). For instance, I got Locke and Hume mixed up, and forgot about an important court case. My results:
You answered 55 out of 60 correctly — 91.67 %
Average score for this quiz during September: 72.7%
Average score since September 18, 2007: 72.7%

Biology is just physics that has begun to smell bad.” —HalfMooner
Here's a link to Moonscape News, and one to its Archive.
Edited by - HalfMooner on 09/19/2007 08:38:45
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 09/19/2007 :  08:34:15   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Good quiz!

I'm ashamed to say that I only scored some 63.33%. But in my defense, I never completed high school, and am self-educated. Anyone who did complete highschool should do much better.

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 09/19/2007 :  08:40:09   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by filthy

Good quiz!

I'm ashamed to say that I only scored some 63.33%. But in my defense, I never completed high school, and am self-educated. Anyone who did complete highschool should do much better.

My last history class was in High School, Fil. Just an average, if that, public school.

Edited by - HalfMooner on 09/19/2007 08:40:43
Go to Top of Page

pleco
SFN Addict

USA
2998 Posts

Posted - 09/19/2007 :  08:43:38   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit pleco's Homepage Send pleco a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I got:

You answered 49 out of 60 correctly — 81.67 %
Average score for this quiz during September: 72.9%
Average score since September 18, 2007: 72.9%

I couple of the ones I missed were because I pick a less right answer - I should have been more careful.

by Filthy
The neo-con methane machine will soon be running at full fart.
Edited by - pleco on 09/19/2007 08:47:56
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 09/19/2007 :  08:44:27   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by furshur

I did not take any history or political science courses when I went to college. I had more important courses to take.

I looked at the test and could probably get a 'B' or so because I remember some of that crap from high school and from helping my kids in school.

Out of curiosity what is the big deal if I don't know what battle ended the revolutionary war of if I forgot that the Spanish-American war was after reconstruction. I really don't give a rats ass.

If I paid $160,000 dollars for my kid to go to college and he came out as a whiz in american history and political science, but was only able to get a job flipping burgers I would be pretty pissed.

On the other hand, if more of our people knew history, they would be less likely to allow our politicians to repeat history's mistakes.

Go to Top of Page

Gorgo
SFN Die Hard

USA
5310 Posts

Posted - 09/19/2007 :  08:54:02   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Gorgo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
On the other hand, if more of our people knew history, they would be less likely to allow our politicians to repeat history's mistakes.

Most of the history I was taught was a mistake. Dates of wars and military leaders and lies that allow us not only to repeat history's mistakes, but to worship them.

I know the rent is in arrears
The dog has not been fed in years
It's even worse than it appears
But it's alright-
Jerry Garcia
Robert Hunter

Go to Top of Page

H. Humbert
SFN Die Hard

USA
4574 Posts

Posted - 09/19/2007 :  09:04:54   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send H. Humbert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by furshur

Exactly. In order to believe that "schools have failed," one would first have to buy into the premise (promoted by this organization), that knowledge of history is the single most important educational criterion when judging the health of American democracy.

Otherwise it just isn't that big a deal.

"A man is his own easiest dupe, for what he wishes to be true he generally believes to be true." --Demosthenes

"The first principle is that you must not fool yourself - and you are the easiest person to fool." --Richard P. Feynman

"Face facts with dignity." --found inside a fortune cookie
Go to Top of Page

furshur
SFN Regular

USA
1536 Posts

Posted - 09/19/2007 :  09:12:35   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send furshur a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I really hate to be so negative, but...

The United States reelected Bush.

It would appear we are not capable of learning from our mistakes.

If I knew then what I know now then I would know more now than I know.
Go to Top of Page

chaloobi
SFN Regular

1620 Posts

Posted - 09/19/2007 :  10:07:15   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send chaloobi a Yahoo! Message Send chaloobi a Private Message  Reply with Quote

I got a 78.33%.

Personally I don't have a problem if the majority of college graduates can't ace that test. Or even pass it. Most of that stuff is worthless to an engineer, physcicist, CPA or a doctor. Really, college isn't about civics education - it's about developing specific skill sets to lauch specific careers. Yes yes, there's the liberal studies aspect of it, but in the case of government or history, it's impossible to gain a broad working knowledge in all the quiz areas without more than a History 101 class. If there is to be a complaint about civics knowledge among Americans, it should start with grade school - that is the government mandated baseline education afterall.

-Chaloobi

Edited by - chaloobi on 09/19/2007 10:07:47
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 09/19/2007 :  10:44:00   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by chaloobi

If there is to be a complaint about civics knowledge among Americans, it should start with grade school - that is the government mandated baseline education afterall.
Indeed, because we know that not all students will go on to college after high school, we should demand that the civics and history knowledge needed in order to be an informed voting citizen should be taught in K-12 classes. Anything extra learned in college, therefore, should be considered "extra." As should such "factoids" as the battle that ended the Revolutionary War that won't generally help in one's interpretation of current events and politics (and which I remember learning not in high school, but from Schoolhouse Rock). Is the name of a book that contained ideas used by the Founding Fathers as important to learn as the ideas themselves?

Edited to add link.

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Why not question something for a change?
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.
Go to Top of Page

Siberia
SFN Addict

Brazil
2322 Posts

Posted - 09/19/2007 :  11:34:49   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Siberia's Homepage  Send Siberia an AOL message  Send Siberia a Yahoo! Message Send Siberia a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Eh, I tried to take the test, but I couldn't really care less about that type of stuff (and I probably suck at Brazilian history, too, even though I came from a pretty damn good private school - my teacher didn't care about dates, either, but for the ideas behind them).

"Why are you afraid of something you're not even sure exists?"
- The Kovenant, Via Negativa

"People who don't like their beliefs being laughed at shouldn't have such funny beliefs."
-- unknown
Go to Top of Page

chaloobi
SFN Regular

1620 Posts

Posted - 09/19/2007 :  15:02:28   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send chaloobi a Yahoo! Message Send chaloobi a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Originally posted by chaloobi

If there is to be a complaint about civics knowledge among Americans, it should start with grade school - that is the government mandated baseline education afterall.
Indeed, because we know that not all students will go on to college after high school, we should demand that the civics and history knowledge needed in order to be an informed voting citizen should be taught in K-12 classes. Anything extra learned in college, therefore, should be considered "extra." As should such "factoids" as the battle that ended the Revolutionary War that won't generally help in one's interpretation of current events and politics (and which I remember learning not in high school, but from Schoolhouse Rock). Is the name of a book that contained ideas used by the Founding Fathers as important to learn as the ideas themselves?

Edited to add link.
Some of that crap was obscure enough to be only of interest to someone who studies such material for a living. To decry univeristies because a cross section of graduating seniors don't know many of the answers is pretty lame.

-Chaloobi

Go to Top of Page

Dr. Mabuse
Septic Fiend

Sweden
9687 Posts

Posted - 09/19/2007 :  16:30:55   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Dr. Mabuse an ICQ Message Send Dr. Mabuse a Private Message  Reply with Quote

I scored 70%, however, I'm not an American citizen, so I've not read American history more than as a foreign nation history.

Dr. Mabuse - "When the going gets tough, the tough get Duct-tape..."
Dr. Mabuse whisper.mp3

"Equivocation is not just a job, for a creationist it's a way of life..." Dr. Mabuse

Support American Troops in Iraq:
Send them unarmed civilians for target practice..
Collateralmurder.
Edited by - Dr. Mabuse on 09/19/2007 16:33:48
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.12 seconds.