Jackson/Obama
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

ocheewah
Skeptic Friend

USA
50 Posts

Posted - 09/19/2007 :  10:58:35  Show Profile Send ocheewah a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Jesse Jackson criticized Sen. Barack Obama for "acting like he's white" in regards to Obama's response to the arrest of six black juveniles'on attempted-murder charges in Jena, La. His "whiteness" consisted of calling on the local Louisiana district attorney to drop the excessive charges brought in the case of the Jena 6.

If you don't know about the case, it began initially when a group of black students sat in an area under a tree usually occupied by white students. The next day, three nooses were hung from the tree. Racial tensions grew, several incidents occurred culminating in the assault(with shoes) of a white student. Six blacks were charged with attempted murder and aggravated battery.

“When nooses are being hung in high schools in the 21st century, it's a tragedy,” the Obama statement said. “It shows that we still have a lot of work to do as a nation to heal our racial tensions.”
Obama released a statement on the case Friday evening after one of the teen's charges was thrown out, saying, “I am pleased that the Louisiana state appeals court recognized that the charges brought in this case were inappropriate."

What "black" thing could Obama have possibly said?

Those who danced were thought quite insane by those who could not hear the music.

Edited by - ocheewah on 09/19/2007 11:02:54

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 09/19/2007 :  11:05:07   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by ocheewah

Jesse Jackson criticized Sen. Barack Obama for acting like he's white”in in regards to Obama's response to the arrest of six black juveniles'on attempted-murder charges in Jena, La. His "whiteness" consisted of calling on the local Louisiana district attorney to drop the excessive charges brought in the case of the Jena 6.

If you don't know about the case, it began initially when a group of black students sat in an area under a tree usually occupied by white students. The next day, three nooses were hung from the tree. Racial tensions grew, several incidents occurred culminating in the assault(with shoes) of a white student. Six blacks were charged with attempted murder and aggravated battery.

“When nooses are being hung in high schools in the 21st century, it's a tragedy,” the Obama statement said. “It shows that we still have a lot of work to do as a nation to heal our racial tensions.”
Obama released a statement on the case Friday evening after one of the teen's charges was thrown out, saying, “I am pleased that the Louisiana state appeals court recognized that the charges brought in this case were inappropriate."

What "black" thing could Obama have possibly said?

In this case, Jackson was out of line, merely pandering to the worst black nationalist paranoia. ML King would have had some words to say to Jackson, I believe. Like, maybe, "Thought doesn't have a skin color, Jesse."

Biology is just physics that has begun to smell bad.” —HalfMooner
Here's a link to Moonscape News, and one to its Archive.
Go to Top of Page

Gorgo
SFN Die Hard

USA
5310 Posts

Posted - 09/19/2007 :  11:13:32   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Gorgo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
He seems to be backing away from the idea that Obama was acting like he's white.

“If I were a candidate, I'd be all over Jena,” Jackson said after an hour-long speech at Columbia's historically black Benedict College.

“Jena is a defining moment, just like Selma was a defining moment,” said the iconic civil rights figure, who worked with Martin Luther King Jr. in the 1965 Selma civil rights movement and was with King at his 1968 assassination.

Later, Jackson said he did not recall making the “acting like he's white” comment about Obama, stressing he only wanted to point out the candidates had not seized on an opportunity to highlight the disproportionate criminal punishments black youths too often face.

from http://www.thestate.com/local/v-print/story/177514.html

I know the rent is in arrears
The dog has not been fed in years
It's even worse than it appears
But it's alright-
Jerry Garcia
Robert Hunter

Edited by - Gorgo on 09/19/2007 11:17:25
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 09/19/2007 :  21:42:57   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Good, Gorgo! Backing away is better than digging the hole deeper, anyway.

Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 09/20/2007 :  02:20:50   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Dr. Jackson let his mouth run away with his mind. Obama is running for an office representitive of all citizens, not merely a single, racial group.

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 09/20/2007 :  02:59:03   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by filthy

Dr. Jackson let his mouth run away with his mind. Obama is running for an office representitive of all citizens, not merely a single, racial group.

Exactly!

Go to Top of Page

marfknox
SFN Die Hard

USA
3739 Posts

Posted - 09/20/2007 :  05:47:01   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit marfknox's Homepage  Send marfknox an AOL message Send marfknox a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Like Mooner, I agree with Filthy's statement. It doesn't matter that Jackson would be "all over Jena" if he were a candidate. He's not a candidate. And what's more, why is bugging Obama about it (when Obama IS addressing the Jena issue!) but not the white candidates? You don't cure racism with racism.

I also disagree with Jackson that this is a "defining moment" in the same way that Selma Alabama was a defining moment. To say so is just as likely to diminish the important of the civil rights march for voting rights in 1965 as it is to exaggerate the significance of this event. Clearly the charge of attempted murder in this case is way too harsh for the crime, and the punishment against the white students for the nooses wasn't harsh enough, but I just don't see how this case of racism can even compare to the widespread prevention of blacks' votes in the 60's, and then being tear gassed and beaten with billy clubs when citizens peacefully protested.

"Too much certainty and clarity could lead to cruel intolerance" -Karen Armstrong

Check out my art store: http://www.marfknox.etsy.com

Edited by - marfknox on 09/20/2007 05:48:15
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 09/20/2007 :  05:57:30   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by marfknox

Like Mooner, I agree with Filthy's statement. It doesn't matter that Jackson would be "all over Jena" if he were a candidate. He's not a candidate. And what's more, why is bugging Obama about it (when Obama IS addressing the Jena issue!) but not the white candidates? You don't cure racism with racism.

I also disagree with Jackson that this is a "defining moment" in the same way that Selma Alabama was a defining moment. To say so is just as likely to diminish the important of the civil rights march for voting rights in 1965 as it is to exaggerate the significance of this event. Clearly the charge of attempted murder in this case is way too harsh for the crime, and the punishment against the white students for the nooses wasn't harsh enough, but I just don't see how this case of racism can even compare to the widespread prevention of blacks' votes in the 60's, and then being tear gassed and beaten with billy clubs when citizens peacefully protested.
So right. It's not a "defining monent" at all, just a disturbing reminder that our country still has a large residue of racism. Actually, I think Jackson's motivation was to interfere in the Democratic primary. I suspect he was put up to making his racist statement by another candidate.

Go to Top of Page

marfknox
SFN Die Hard

USA
3739 Posts

Posted - 09/20/2007 :  06:05:59   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit marfknox's Homepage  Send marfknox an AOL message Send marfknox a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Mooner wrote:
Actually, I think Jackson's motivation was to interfere in the Democratic primary. I suspect he was put up to making his racist statement by another candidate.
If anything, Jackson's criticism of Obama helps Obama by making Jackson look extreme and reactionary and Obama look even more moderate and inclusive.

If Obama does win the primary, I have a hard time imagining hordes of black Americans refusing to vote for the first black president because Jesse Jackson once said "He isn't black enough."

"Too much certainty and clarity could lead to cruel intolerance" -Karen Armstrong

Check out my art store: http://www.marfknox.etsy.com

Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 09/20/2007 :  06:42:14   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by marfknox

Mooner wrote:
Actually, I think Jackson's motivation was to interfere in the Democratic primary. I suspect he was put up to making his racist statement by another candidate.
If anything, Jackson's criticism of Obama helps Obama by making Jackson look extreme and reactionary and Obama look even more moderate and inclusive.

If Obama does win the primary, I have a hard time imagining hordes of black Americans refusing to vote for the first black president because Jesse Jackson once said "He isn't black enough."
I agree that was the actual result, but I suspect the intention was straightforward trying to hurt Obama. I think the whole thing is making black people consider the silly idea of "black enough." Bill Clinton, a undeniably white guy, was and still is "black enough." Why not Obama?

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.12 seconds.