San Diego mayor drops opposition to gay marriage
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 09/21/2007 :  07:32:56  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Sometimes people do change their minds, and do the right thing:
Mayor supports effort to overturn state ban

By Jennifer Vigil
UNION-TRIBUNE STAFF WRITER

September 20, 2007

A tearful Mayor Jerry Sanders made a dramatic shift yesterday, explaining that he can no longer oppose same-sex marriages because he does not want to deny justice to people like his daughter, who is a lesbian.

San Diego Mayor Jerry Sanders and wife, Rana Sampson.

Joined at a late afternoon news conference by his wife, Rana Sampson, the San Diego mayor announced he will back a City Council decision to support same-sex marriage before the state Supreme Court, where California's ban on it awaits review.

“I decided to lead with my heart, which is probably obvious at the moment,” said Sanders, moments before he revealed his daughter's sexual orientation.

Biology is just physics that has begun to smell bad.” —HalfMooner
Here's a link to Moonscape News, and one to its Archive.

pleco
SFN Addict

USA
2998 Posts

Posted - 09/21/2007 :  07:34:54   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit pleco's Homepage Send pleco a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Funny how people change on this issue when it hits home...

by Filthy
The neo-con methane machine will soon be running at full fart.
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 09/21/2007 :  07:44:43   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by pleco

Funny how people change on this issue when it hits home...
Sometimes, that's what it takes to do the trick. At least this guy supported domestic partnerships previously, a stop-gap that some states have outright banned. (Domestic partnerships are legal in California, sort of the moderate-conservative position in our political spectrum.) And he's a damned sight better than Alan Keyes, who condemned his own lesbian daughter.

Go to Top of Page

furshur
SFN Regular

USA
1536 Posts

Posted - 09/21/2007 :  08:10:47   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send furshur a Private Message  Reply with Quote
And he's a damned sight better than Alan Keyes, who condemned his own lesbian daughter.

That's disgusting, not surprising, but disgusting none the less.

If I knew then what I know now then I would know more now than I know.
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 09/21/2007 :  08:38:32   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by furshur

And he's a damned sight better than Alan Keyes, who condemned his own lesbian daughter.

About Maya Keyes and her father:
After the 2004 campaign, Marcel-Keyes became a consultant for Keyes' Illinois office. However, on January 20, 2005, she participated in a march protesting the second inauguration of President George W. Bush. Keyes relieved his daughter from her duties and requested that she move out of an apartment funded by Keyes' political organizations in Chicago. Marcel-Keyes wrote in her online journal that her parents had given her two weeks to move out of the apartment, and had effectively left her "jobless and ... homeless."[6] She also discussed this series of events in an interview with The Advocate.[7]

Maya Keyes.

Go to Top of Page

pleco
SFN Addict

USA
2998 Posts

Posted - 09/21/2007 :  08:49:29   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit pleco's Homepage Send pleco a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, if Keyes weren't black he would definitely have the Southern-fundy-bigot vote.

by Filthy
The neo-con methane machine will soon be running at full fart.
Go to Top of Page

Siberia
SFN Addict

Brazil
2322 Posts

Posted - 09/21/2007 :  09:08:12   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Siberia's Homepage  Send Siberia an AOL message  Send Siberia a Yahoo! Message Send Siberia a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Hell yeah.
And, his daughter is beautiful. Just had to point that out.

"Why are you afraid of something you're not even sure exists?"
- The Kovenant, Via Negativa

"People who don't like their beliefs being laughed at shouldn't have such funny beliefs."
-- unknown
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 09/21/2007 :  20:13:19   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Siberia

Hell yeah.
And, his daughter is beautiful. Just had to point that out.
I agree. Too bad I'm not her type.

Go to Top of Page

Penyprity
Skeptic Friend

64 Posts

Posted - 09/23/2007 :  18:10:58   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Penyprity a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Im not sure just what to think. On one hand you have a politician who changes his views because it hits home for him....Then you have a politician who stands by his (wrong) views dispite how close to home it hits.

Although I find what Alan Keyes did repulsive, Im not sure I would condem him for standing by his principles. We tend to critisize our politicans when they get wishy washy on the issues and also when we dont agree with their stands. However, I would rather know who not to vote for based on their opinions, then vote for someone and have them change their stand later.

Make your vote count. Become a supreme court justice......Peny
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.08 seconds.