Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 4

Valiant Dancer
Forum Goalie

USA
4826 Posts

Posted - 09/24/2007 :  17:38:40   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Valiant Dancer's Homepage Send Valiant Dancer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by JEROME DA GNOME

Curious that the leader of the opposition party would declare the winner?

Sun Sep 23 2007 18:18:16 ET

“She's got a national presence and this is becoming a national primary,” Bush tells author Bill Sammon in the bombshell book, EVANGELICAL PRESIDENT, set for release Monday. “And therefore the person with the national presence, who has got the ability to raise enough money to sustain an effort in a multiplicity of sites, has got a good chance to be nominated.”

This could be called predictive programing.

Who cares about what that sleazy .... has to say.

He's running off at the mouth. Does he have any sort of relevance in the Democratic party? No? Then why is anything he has to say about Democrats matter?

Cthulhu/Asmodeus when you're tired of voting for the lesser of two evils

Brother Cutlass of Reasoned Discussion
Go to Top of Page

JEROME DA GNOME
BANNED

2418 Posts

Posted - 09/24/2007 :  17:59:16   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send JEROME DA GNOME a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Valiant Dancer

He's running off at the mouth. Does he have any sort of relevance in the Democratic party? No? Then why is anything he has to say about Democrats matter?

The point is:

This creates a positive thought in the minds of the vast majority, which we all know pay little attention. This positive thought (this will happen) is an example of predictive programing.

What a man believes upon grossly insufficient evidence is an index into his desires -- desires of which he himself is often unconscious. If a man is offered a fact which goes against his instincts, he will scrutinize it closely, and unless the evidence is overwhelming, he will refuse to believe it. If, on the other hand, he is offered something which affords a reason for acting in accordance to his instincts, he will accept it even on the slightest evidence. The origin of myths is explained in this way. - Bertrand Russell
Go to Top of Page

Kil
Evil Skeptic

USA
13476 Posts

Posted - 09/24/2007 :  18:42:25   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Kil's Homepage  Send Kil an AOL message  Send Kil a Yahoo! Message Send Kil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Jerome:
This positive thought (this will happen) is an example of predictive programing.

I can't find a single source for "predictive programing" that isn't some new age mumbo jumbo or some Illuminati mumbo jumbo...

Perhaps, Jerome, you can find a source for how the term is used in psychology, with citations?

Uncertainty may make you uncomfortable. Certainty makes you ridiculous.

Why not question something for a change?

Genetic Literacy Project
Go to Top of Page

JEROME DA GNOME
BANNED

2418 Posts

Posted - 09/24/2007 :  18:48:01   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send JEROME DA GNOME a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Kil

Jerome:
This positive thought (this will happen) is an example of predictive programing.

I can't find a single source for "predictive programing" that isn't some new age mumbo jumbo or some Illuminati mumbo jumbo...

Perhaps, Jerome, you can find a source for how the term is used in psychology, with citations?

I can up with it somewhere, not sure exactly. The words are correct for the meaning I intend.

Nice term, don't you think?

What a man believes upon grossly insufficient evidence is an index into his desires -- desires of which he himself is often unconscious. If a man is offered a fact which goes against his instincts, he will scrutinize it closely, and unless the evidence is overwhelming, he will refuse to believe it. If, on the other hand, he is offered something which affords a reason for acting in accordance to his instincts, he will accept it even on the slightest evidence. The origin of myths is explained in this way. - Bertrand Russell
Go to Top of Page

Kil
Evil Skeptic

USA
13476 Posts

Posted - 09/24/2007 :  19:23:18   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Kil's Homepage  Send Kil an AOL message  Send Kil a Yahoo! Message Send Kil a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Originally posted by Kil

Jerome:

I can up with it somewhere, not sure exactly. The words are correct for the meaning I intend.

Nice term, don't you think?

Nice term if you are a fan of science fiction. We live in the real world, Jerome.

Genetic Literacy Project
Go to Top of Page

JEROME DA GNOME
BANNED

2418 Posts

Posted - 09/24/2007 :  19:27:43   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send JEROME DA GNOME a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Kil
Nice term if you are a fan of science fiction. We live in the real world, Jerome.

I know that you know: People can and are easily manipulated by the use of suggestion.

Do you deny that this practice is used on the proletariat as a whole?

Edited by - JEROME DA GNOME on 09/24/2007 19:29:48
Go to Top of Page

Valiant Dancer
Forum Goalie

USA
4826 Posts

Posted - 09/24/2007 :  19:30:14   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Valiant Dancer's Homepage Send Valiant Dancer a Private Message  Reply with Quote

The point is:

This creates a positive thought in the minds of the vast majority, which we all know pay little attention. This positive thought (this will happen) is an example of predictive programing.

I see. It is based on conjecture and fantasy.

No, this will not plant a positive thought in the minds of the majority. When the presentation sucks or comes from a disreputable source, it is discarded by the brain.

Predictive programming is a crock. Unless you have evidence to the contrary.

Go to Top of Page

JEROME DA GNOME
BANNED

2418 Posts

Posted - 09/24/2007 :  19:31:42   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send JEROME DA GNOME a Private Message  Reply with Quote

No, this will not plant a positive thought in the minds of the majority. When the presentation sucks or comes from a disreputable source, it is discarded by the brain.

You argument denies that advertising works.

Go to Top of Page

Valiant Dancer
Forum Goalie

USA
4826 Posts

Posted - 09/24/2007 :  19:34:35   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Valiant Dancer's Homepage Send Valiant Dancer a Private Message  Reply with Quote

You argument denies that advertising works.

BUZZZZZZZ!!!!!! Tacky buzzer. Go to your room and eat a booger.

Nice strawman.

Point posited was that advertizing from a source which evokes distrust and animosity is ineffective. Not that advertizing does not work.

Thanks for playing, though.

Go to Top of Page

JEROME DA GNOME
BANNED

2418 Posts

Posted - 09/24/2007 :  19:41:57   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send JEROME DA GNOME a Private Message  Reply with Quote
BUZZZZZZZ!!!!!! Tacky buzzer. Go to your room and eat a booger.

I like the booger comment. Very funny.

Point posited was that advertizing from a source which evokes distrust and animosity is ineffective. Not that advertizing does not work.

He is advertising to his base. He is undermining his own base with these comments.

Think about it from the stand point of a GOP voter:

Why should I vote if my own party leader thinks Hillary is going to win?

Go to Top of Page

Kil
Evil Skeptic

USA
13476 Posts

Posted - 09/24/2007 :  19:44:26   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Kil's Homepage  Send Kil an AOL message  Send Kil a Yahoo! Message Send Kil a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Originally posted by Kil

I know that you know: People can and are easily manipulated by the use of suggestion.

Do you deny that this practice is used on the proletariat as a whole?

Do I deny that we can be manipulated? No. Any magician knows that we can be manipulated. And yes, our leaders do try to manipulated us with varying degrees of success.

Do I think that "predictive programing" is used by those who seek to manipulate us? Very doubtful. And unless you can get me a source for the term that demonstrates that it is recognized by psychologists as a way to manipulate us, I will remain very doubtful.

I think the term comes from those who dwell in a fantasy world
ruled by six foot alien lizards....

Genetic Literacy Project
Go to Top of Page

JEROME DA GNOME
BANNED

2418 Posts

Posted - 09/24/2007 :  19:56:41   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send JEROME DA GNOME a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Kil
Do I deny that we can be manipulated? No. Any magician knows that we can be manipulated. And yes, our leaders do try to manipulated us with varying degrees of success.

Do I think that "predictive programing" is used by those who seek to manipulate us? Very doubtful. And unless you can get me a source for the term that demonstrates that it is recognized by psychologists as a way to manipulate us, I will remain very doubtful.

I think the term comes from those who dwell in a fantasy world
ruled by six foot alien lizards....

You seem to be hung up on the term I have either invented or read somewhere.

In the same manner that the magician tries to manipulate the individual, power structures attempt to manipulate large groups.

This is politics!

Go to Top of Page

Kil
Evil Skeptic

USA
13476 Posts

Posted - 09/24/2007 :  20:25:58   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Kil's Homepage  Send Kil an AOL message  Send Kil a Yahoo! Message Send Kil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Jerome:

You used a term that is not found outside of some very fringe groups, to show what Bush was doing.

The term itself is clearly pseudo-scientific and meaningless unless we accept its premise, which comes from highly questionable sources.

And this is a skeptics site. It surprises you that I would question the term?

Hmmmm…

Genetic Literacy Project
Go to Top of Page

JEROME DA GNOME
BANNED

2418 Posts

Posted - 09/24/2007 :  20:33:35   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send JEROME DA GNOME a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Kil

Jerome:

You used a term that is not found outside of some very fringe groups, to show what Bush was doing.

The term itself is clearly pseudo-scientific and meaningless unless we accept its premise, which comes from highly questionable sources.

And this is a skeptics site. It surprises you that I would question the term?

Hmmmm…

How about advertising? This is equal without the force of the meaning of two words in combination.

Here is the first link I found with the phrase "predictive programing".

Given that most managers will need to function effectively in an international context, the cases draw from challenges faced by experienced managers in such varied settings as China, France, India, Italy, Japan, the Netherlands, Trinidad, Vietnam, and others, in addition to the United States and Canada. These cases continue to illustrate basic concepts while expanding students' understanding of economic, political, and cultural concerns that must be interwoven into such key areas as process design, quality, and supply chain management.

It is a book on management!

Go to Top of Page

Kil
Evil Skeptic

USA
13476 Posts

Posted - 09/24/2007 :  20:44:42   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Kil's Homepage  Send Kil an AOL message  Send Kil a Yahoo! Message Send Kil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
What? Find me the words "predictive programming" in there somewhere, will you? Also, find me in the above quote anything that has to do with how you used the term...

Genetic Literacy Project
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 4 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.12 seconds.